• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Pokémon Basalt and Granite

Re: Pokémon Basalt and Granite

OH. Based on the phrasing, I thought it was pebblething -> Icetone -> Volcanotse, not pebblething -> Icetone OR pebblething -> Volcanotse. sorry!
No, it's not either-or. Regardless of whether you like the location level-ups, that's how it is. Climate greatly influences them. For example, a mountain in a cold place is icy- one in a hot place is arid. Which is why you have to level them up in certain places.

No, it's not either-or. Regardless of whether you like the location level-ups, that's how it is. Climate greatly influences them. For example, a mountain in a cold place is icy- one in a hot place is arid. Which is why you have to level them up in certain places.

...that would still be either-or

Absoul's asking whether ice-thing evolves into fire-thing, or whether pebble-thing evolves into both. You're saying the latter; thus, either-or.

Not sure why everybody's bothered by the level 89 rival thing. It's a fairly common device in video games; you face a hopelessly powerful enemy early on, then eventually you grow strong enough to legitimately win, which (if pulled off well) makes your ultimate victory all the sweeter.
it's not really the level 89 thing that bothers me (well, now that I know you're supposed to lose all the time it doesn't)! How does she even have a level 89 pokemon without loving it is what bothers me. It just seems really inconsistent to privilege love as a means of raising pokemon when Rose already starts with a super-strong pokemon without loving it at all, and then suddenly changes her mind when she gets beaten this one time. At this stage, her pokemon's almost as strong as it can be already, so really, you wouldn't be growing that much more than her anyway, so it wouldn't exactly be a dawning realisation. It would be more consistent for her to go 'eh, well I lost this one time, but I've trained my pokemon eighty-nine levels without loving it so it doesn't really prove anything'.

idk it seems more like her story is written around her having this strong pokemon for some reason, rather than the pokemon being a product of her methods of training. I can get her having pokemon that are always a few levels above you, or something like that, but having a level 89 pokemon when the whole moral is that you should love them doesn't make sense.

Not really. Mountains are pretty icy everywhere, so long as they're high enough.

it's not really the level 89 thing that bothers me (well, now that I know you're supposed to lose all the time it doesn't)! How does she even have a level 89 pokemon without loving it is what bothers me. It just seems really inconsistent to privilege love as a means of raising pokemon when Rose already starts with a super-strong pokemon without loving it at all, and then suddenly changes her mind when she gets beaten this one time. At this stage, her pokemon's almost as strong as it can be already, so really, you wouldn't be growing that much more than her anyway, so it wouldn't exactly be a dawning realisation. It would be more consistent for her to go 'eh, well I lost this one time, but I've trained my pokemon eighty-nine levels without loving it so it doesn't really prove anything'.

idk it seems more like her story is written around her having this strong pokemon for some reason, rather than the pokemon being a product of her methods of training. I can get her having pokemon that are always a few levels above you, or something like that, but having a level 89 pokemon when the whole moral is that you should love them doesn't make sense.
As I established earlier, she took the Pokemon from her father. She saw it as a tool. She took it thinking it would help. It was already level 89. If she had shown any love at all, it might be 100.

As I established earlier, she took the Pokemon from her father. She saw it as a tool. She took it thinking it would help. It was already level 89. If she had shown any love at all, it might be 100.
you didn't establish that anywhere, actually! :> in fact, you said this instead:
Mohacastle said:
I know. But this Rival is different- her parents abandoned her, so she was left all alone with the weakest of Pokemon, determined to grow stronger. And from ashes she rose, and turned one of the weakest Pokemon into one of the most powerful NP Pokemon in the game. It just shows a little about her personality. But since you guys are making such a big deal out of it, I am likely to change it, but only if you guys have a better plan.

I'm guessing you changed her story into her stealing a pokemon instead and not being abandoned by her parents? why does the pokemon obey her? did she have gym badges before she took the pokemon? if she did, why did she bother stealing it in the first place?

Last edited:

you didn't establish that anywhere, actually! :> in fact, you said this instead:

I'm guessing you changed her story into her stealing a pokemon instead and not being abandoned by her parents? why does the pokemon obey her? did she have gym badges before she took the pokemon? if she did, why did she bother stealing it in the first place?
You're right- I thought I did add that in, apparently I never got around to posting that reply. No, she has no badges- it obeys her because it was her father's so it knows who she is, and loves her- it's just that she doesn't love it back.

it obeys her because it was her father's so it knows who she is, and loves her- it's just that she doesn't love it back.

By that logic everyone's traded Pokemon should obey them because for the most part we're all friends and thus the Pokemon should know that we're good people!

Regardless of whether or not said Pokemon knows his/her/its new trainer, I'd think they'd be smart enough to know that a trainer who steals them from somebody else, whom they know to love them, probably isn't a good person.

Well, yes, but this Pokemon grew up with Rose. They were both treated like children by Rose's father- so the Pokemon sees Rose as a sister, while she sees it inferior to herself. It's kinda depressing, actually.
The Pokemon didn't see it as stolen- Rose convinced it that her father had died, and that it belonged to her. Whatever it took to get that Pokemon in her hands. Although it was a tool, it was a powerful one. Why build a house if you could get one for free?

Did Rose have any experience on Pokemon? WHY does she view Pokemon as tools? Perhaps you could give background info. Plus, does the Pokemon obey her all the time or is it like in the official games (if you trade and don't have x amount of badges they'll disobey you sometimes) ?

No, she had no experience with Pokemon... she actually watched her dad do it and kinda got the hang of it just from watching. She sees Pokemon as tools because a long time ago, they hurt her. From that point on, she saw them as disgraceful, but still recognized that they could be helpful, so they became tools in her mind. Yes, the gym badges thing remains, but still, if you have a strong bond with said Pokemon, the amount of badges doesn't matter. Trust me, it's been like that for a while, unless I'm just extremely lucky.

traded pokémon disobey above a certain level. caught ones do not. she has taken it from her dad thus she is not its original trainer

However, they grew up together, so it trusts it. Although it is not the original Trainer, it...

You know what? Who cares? N didn't beat any Gyms, but he had a freaking legendary Pokemon! So Gyms don't matter to NPCs!

yeah, 'cuz he caught it himself

how about you just accept that your plan for the rival has so many logistical problems it's not feasible?

However, they grew up together, so it trusts it.

it trusts it? what are the its'
Logically in the sense of Pokemon, growing up with pokemon despite not being the trainer who caught it/recieved it (for the sake of the starters) does not work

honestly if Rose took the pokemon from her dad and mistreated it the pokemon should disobey her because of Rose's actions if the pokemon had common sense
as well as the fact that the pokemon isn't Rose's originally

Last edited:

Rose doesn't mistreat it. The thing is, it doesn't treat it at all. It's just there. It's basically like a computer to her; she does occassionally reward it when it is good by giving it praise, however, when it's being slow, we get mad. However, this is not technically love, just a mere sign that she's not totally inhuman.

You know, a level 89 pokemon can easily take out 8 gyms by itself, even if it is constantly disobeying. I don't see why you don't just say that she stole it and then got all the gym badges with it to make it obey her.

Back
Top Bottom