• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Portal 2

Murkrow

Says "also" and "or something" a lot
Pronoun
he
Anyone?

I've completed the single player a couple of times but haven't done any co-op.
Really good game overall. Lots of little jokes here and there, and I loved a lot of the hints they drop like the redemption turret talking about Caroline, and Cave Johnson talking about how the conversion gel is made from moon rocks, which explains how the moon is portalable.

One of the only problems I have with it is that it's confused my idea of when things happen in the half-life universe.
At first I thought it was
Glados activated -> Half-Life 1 -> Portal -> Half-Life 2 -> Portal 2

Which is probably still right, but it's the minor things they hint at through the games that I'm not sure of now. They've retconned a lot of things, like what used to be on the Aperture Science website.

Was the Borealis built before or after Glados? Her signature is seen on the data in HL2 episode 2, but now presumably it was built in the old aperture complex, and Glados was built after it went missing.

And the portal gun has now been around since the 50s, so Glados being built for the purposes of making a portal gun has been retconned (I assume her purpose now was just "run the facility as Caroline"), so they clearly didn't have that much competition with Black Mesa seeing as how they apparently beat them to portal technology by decades, and they only competed for funding and not be the first to make portals.

While I appreciate the inclusion of Cave Johnson and seeing the history of Aperture and seeing how he changed over the years, I'm not too fond of his attitude towards the experiments, he often says "we're not banging rocks together here", but that's the impression I get. If it weren't set in the Half-Life universe that wouldn't really bug me, but I guess it sort of spoils the fact that an inter-dimensional galactic empire with all their technology can't make teleporters and how the resistance in HL2 try desperately to keep their experiments secret and use it against them, but someone so crazy could have made his company make one in the 50s.

Oh, you came back! I didn't... ooh, I didn't plan for this... uh... can't reset the death trap... um... Oh, could you, could you just jump into that pit? Would you just jump into that pit for me? Could you just - would you just jump into that pit, there, that deadly pit? You're saying to yourself, "why should I jump in the pit?" I'll tell you why - guess who's down there? Your parents! You're not adopted after all! It's your natural parents down there in the pit! Should've mentioned it before, but I didn't. So jump on down and reunite with mommy and daddy.

Ooh, I'll tell you what's also down there - your parents, aaand... there's also an escape elevator, down there! Funny, I should've mentioned it before, but so it's down there, so pop down, jump down, you've got your folks down there and an escape elevator. And... what else is down there... Tell you what, it's only a new jumpsuit! Aah, very trendy, designer, jumped from France, down there, which is at least exactly your size, and if - and if it's a bit baggy we've got a tailor down there as well who can take it in for you.

What's this, a lovely handbag? And - the three portal device, also down - it's, it's all down there! Um, you've got a yacht... and... boys! Loads of boys, fellas, hunky guys down there, possibly even a boyfriend! Who's to say? I'm not sure at this stage, but, uh, a lot of good-looking fellas down there, and uh... a boy band, as well! ... um, that haven't seen a woman in years, and they're not picky at all, they don't care if you've got a bit of brain damage, if you've been running around, if you've been sweating, and... a... farm, a pony farm! And... uh... ah... just jump down, would you?"

Absolutely fantastic game =D It had the same "JUST.ONE MORE.TEST CHAMBER" appeal of the first game, was clever in both gameplay and writing, and Stephen Merchant was brilliant as the voice of Wheatley.

It was the most refreshing and captivating game I've played for a long time, and I haven't been as hooked by a game since Heavy Rain. Strongly recommend to all =D

It's in the Half-Life universe.

Got a PS3 copy of the game (despite the fact I don't have a PS3. Yes, it was a present). So when I jailbreak my iPod Touch, I can download that PS3 emulator and play it ON TEH GOEZ!!!

anyways, I watched my friend play some of it on his XBox, it looks very good.

This, is a potato battery! A children's toy!

Wait what Portal is set in the Half-Life universe why didn't I know this

"Maybe you'll find someone else to help you -
Maybe Black Mesa?
That was a joke, haha, fat chance."

Just one example of the numerous cross-references between the games.

Anyway, I've not got Portwo yet so I forbid myself to read the mysterious black text of which comprises 80% of this thread. I hope to get it eventually though... Or soon-ish, or something.

I wish I had the cash to pay
For this game I have yet to play.
But as I save for Germany,
I must not spend any money
For now, so I am left without.
Though I would love to play, no doubt.

My dad's finished it practically four times over now, and I'm getting obsessed with it. I started playing it myself last week, although I'm not sure if I should feel terrible about not having played the first game beforehand. O_o

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom