• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

[R/B/Y/G/S/C] Do your old games still work?

nothing to see here

...probably not posting here too much anymore.
Pronoun
he/him
Not long ago I decided to dig out my old 1st and 2nd-generation Pokémon games, just to see if any of them still worked and (if they did work) what was on their save files.

Anyone else who's checked their old games recently to see if they worked can post the results here; here's mine.

My original Red version that I bought on the day the game was released: Unbelievably, this one still works, despite being the oldest Pokémon game I own. Save file is intact and everything. Of course, the save file is from a much more recent playthrough (apparently when I was obsessed with DBZ, as I named myself "Fat Buu"), but I'm surprised that it still works at all.

My sister's Blue version: Also still works, and it's only a few months younger than my Red.

My sister's Red version: Still works. One of these still had one of my sister's half-completed playthroughs on it, apparently from some point when she was trying to re-create her original team (both included a Wigglytuff named Fathead, a Nidoking and a Nidoqueen, and an Alakazam named Geno.)

My Blue version: Missing in action. I have no idea where this one went...

My Yellow version: Still works, and has an unfinished save file from a year or so ago where I named the Pikachu "WORTHLESS."

My Gold and Silver versions: The battery doesn't hold save files anymore. Strange, since all of the 1st-gen games I could find seemed to work perfectly...

My Crystal version: This one surprised me--it still works, unlike Gold and Silver... and on top of that, it seems to still have a save file from my very first playthrough. I seem to have been hooked on Tenchi Muyo when I was playing through this one, since one of the two teams I have on the save file has every Pokémon named after characters from the series--a Bellossom named Ayeka, a Jynx named Ryoko, a Slowbro named Mihoshi, a Flareon named Kiyone, a Kadabra named Washu, and an Azumarill named Ryo-Ohki.

My main team for the game seems to have been made up of a Noctowl (named Burd), a Poliwrath (named Poowuku), a Raticate (named Zaratpuu), an Ariados (named Yigger), a Golem (named Rockhed), and a Sneasel (named Kitty)... the Totodile I started with was sitting in one of the PC boxes, and still at level 8. XD
And I'm guessing there must have been a cloning glitch that I don't remember in G/S/C, because I have two copies of most of that team's members--one at level 40, and the other at level 60-something. The only exception being the Sneasel, who was level 100 (wow!) and had no clone.

I'm fairly sure that all my games still work, but I can't say with complete certainty because I'm a freak and have at least two copies of every game up to Emerald, so I haven't checked some of them in a while.

Naming Pokemon after Tenchi characters is awesome, especially a Ryo-Ohki Azumarill X3
I've got game files with the characters names after the characters in FFVII (Emerald), House (Diamond), Rent (Sapphire) and Wicked (Crystal) :D

Blue: Works fine
Red: Works fine
Yellow: Works fine
Silver: Battery died, no longer kept saves. Now works fine on its replacement battery.
Gold: Battery died, still needs to be replaced. No longer keeps saves.
Crystal: Works fine.

I haven't played them much, I tend to go back to them every few months. It's a shame about gold and silver - those were the best in my opinion but they're the ones that seem to die the soonest.

Red: works great, considering this is my first game ever.
Blue: Still works as well.
Green: This is my most recent of the 1st gen games, and it still works.
Yellow: Missing. ;-;
Gold: Works awesome, but was my first of the G/S/C games. (I wanted Silver first for Lugia, but Gold has gone on to become my favorite of the two.)
Silver: Doesn't work. :(
Crystal: Also doesn't work. I had my first Mew and a Celebi that my older brother somehow got at school. ;-;
Crystal: The replacement I got stopped working shortly after I got it. Now Gamestop doesn't sell them anymore. D:

rby work
my old gold is dead but i bought a replacement a few years ago. it'll prolly die soon
dunno about crystal i lost it

Gold still works. Guess I should make the most of it.
Dunno about Blue. Haven't played it in a while.

Blue and Gold work, and Crystal I thought was running out of battery, so in paranoia I sent it away to get a replacement. Guess I better get around to the Pokédex now that I've beat Red, huh.

Red, Blue, and Yellow: All work. I gave Blue and Yellow to my cousin a long, long time ago, though. Last time I played Red, I was visiting Glitch City.

Silver: Does not hold a save. I would replace the battery, but my cousin is in possession of this one as well.

RBY all bought used: Still work! !!
Gold bought on release day iirc: Also still works! Notably the only real one from this generation that still works. :o
Silver bought a few months after Gold: Not working, unfortunately, although not because of the dreaded battery failure. I accidentally left this in my Gameboy Color, on the bumper of my dad's truck when I was six. I completely forgot about it because of my 'DUDE EVERYONE'S IN THE POOL :DD' six year old mentality, and he went to the hardware store while I was swimming. It fell off, not in our driveway, no, it fell off in the middle of the road. Predictably, both Gameboy Color and Silver were smashed.
Second silver bought two or three years after the first, used: Fell victim to the internal battery failure about a week after purchase. :(
Crystal: Turned out to be a fake, discovered by the in-game clock not continuing while the game was turned off; confirmed by lack of Nintendo seal. :/

My Gold's fine. The clock had stopped, but I set it again and it was fine.
But my brother's Blue is glitched. A shame, too, it had a legitimate Mew or something...

All of mine (except for the dead gold I bought. Bought it like that for $5 to replace the battery later) work

On a related note, does anybody know how to transfer a Silver save to a computer? I want to save my shiny Ampharos from destruction via dead battery ;.;

Red, Blue, and Yellow all work fine.
Gold and Silver both have dead batteries, but I never played them too much before they died so it wasn't too tragic.
And amazingly my seven or so year old Crystal still works fine.

All of my games work. Well, I haven't checked gold/silver for a while but I'm fairly sure they still work.

Yellow: I honestly have no idea. When I was seven my mom took away my gameboy color after I had played it too much in Safeway. We think that she left it in the shopping cart, because it has never been heard from again.

Crystal: Works fine. ^^ I started a new file a few weeks ago, and got bored within a few days, but it was a nice refresher.

Those are the only ones that I have.

Back
Top Bottom