• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Religion

my point was that he said that muslims do not proselytize when there are muslims that do, thus invalidating his conclusion

I know many catholics that don't proselytize either, of course generalising is stupid but that wasn't the point I was trying to make

my point was that he said that muslims do not proselytize when there are muslims that do, thus invalidating his conclusion

I know many catholics that don't proselytize either, of course generalising is stupid but that wasn't the point I was trying to make

Ah, well, there are members of all the religions that Teh Ebil Snorlax mentioned who proselytize.

I know Jews in general are very resistant to people converting to their religion unless the convert itself really wants to...

My favorite religion (disregarding stuff like Discordianism, the IPU, and the FSM) is Buddhism, just because it's the one that makes the most sense. I really don't understand how someone can believe in Christianity, or Judiaism, or Islam, despite the lack of evidence for their god existing. But Buddhism? It's plausible, I guess.

WAIT NVM. The coolest religion ever is the one they had in Greece. The main god was a pimp. He had like eighty-three wives. Forking awesome.

so this guy was looking back on his life's journey and everything and he saw two sets of footprints through the sand and was like "what's up with that?" and then jesus beamed down and said "i was walking with you, my child," but the guy noticed during the tough times in his life, there was only one set of footrpints so he asked jesus why and jesus told him "youre not very pleasant to be around when you get stressed" and then he left

You just fucked a perfectly good parable up the ass you know that? Gimme a high five.

Those indiscriminately sweeping declarations worry me. It's risible that you should judge as one so many different people.

I'm not judging the people per sé I'm judging their religion's methods of recruitment. Here in Ireland, parents have the absurd idea "Look, we'll raise them Catholic and when they're older they can choose their own religion." ._.; Well, honestly, if you'd been raised Catholic for eighteen years, what are the chances that you'll change religion? Also, the Catholic Church backs primary school RE with the 'Alive-O' program which means for eight years, children are taught only about Catholicism. It's total indoctrination. I know a lot of people, it's safe to say, and the vast minority of those people are not Catholic. I know two Jehovah's Witnesses (who have tried to convert me, but I didn't answer the door) and maybe seventeen atheists but the majority of the hundred-fifty or so people I know are Catholics. Honestly, the only reason I'm atheist is probably because I'm intelligent and like science, here the average IQ in my age group divides evenly into mine. The Jehovah's Witnesses, now they're a group that you can't say don't shove their religion down people's throats, though that is part of their belief system in fairness. As for Lutherans, I'd have to admit, they'd only be a problem in the southern States (redneck soccer moms >->).

Here in Ireland, parents have the absurd idea "Look, we'll raise them Catholic and when they're older they can choose their own religion." ._.; Well, honestly, if you'd been raised Catholic for eighteen years, what are the chances that you'll change religion?

I don't know how brainwashed kids are over where you live, but when I was small I went to a Catholic primary school where about 25 of the 30 kids in my class went to church. Now about two of them do.

Also, the Catholic Church backs primary school RE with the 'Alive-O' program which means for eight years, children are taught only about Catholicism. It's total indoctrination.

That's because the schools are funded (at least in part) by the church. Parents who send their kids to these school know this. If you don't want your kid to be taught one religion exclusively, send them to a purely government-funded school.

the only reason I'm atheist is probably because I'm intelligent

I love this, I really do.

True. Just because someone believes in a supreme being doesn't mean they're not intelligent.
People saying this makes atheist get a bad rep.

You just fucked a perfectly good parable up the ass you know that? Gimme a high five.

I'm not judging the people per sé I'm judging their religion's methods of recruitment. Here in Ireland, parents have the absurd idea "Look, we'll raise them Catholic and when they're older they can choose their own religion." ._.; Well, honestly, if you'd been raised Catholic for eighteen years, what are the chances that you'll change religion? Also, the Catholic Church backs primary school RE with the 'Alive-O' program which means for eight years, children are taught only about Catholicism. It's total indoctrination. I know a lot of people, it's safe to say, and the vast minority of those people are not Catholic. I know two Jehovah's Witnesses (who have tried to convert me, but I didn't answer the door) and maybe seventeen atheists but the majority of the hundred-fifty or so people I know are Catholics. Honestly, the only reason I'm atheist is probably because I'm intelligent and like science, here the average IQ in my age group divides evenly into mine. The Jehovah's Witnesses, now they're a group that you can't say don't shove their religion down people's throats, though that is part of their belief system in fairness. As for Lutherans, I'd have to admit, they'd only be a problem in the southern States (redneck soccer moms >->).

First, you're presenting a sample of one hundred and fifty people as though you can draw from it a proper conclusion about billions of people. I empathize with you to an extent but I cannot agree with you: you have no evidence that most Lutherans, Catholics, and Jehovah's Witnesses "shove their beliefs down other people's throats". Familiarity breeds contempt, as it were, which is why you like the religions you rarely encounter and dislike the religions you encounter every day. Second it is ridiculous to give an entire religion a thumbs up or a thumbs down. The only way to understand a person is to understand him as an individual. Third "per se" is not spelt with an acute e.

Last edited:
Jehova's Witnesses do tend to knock at my door sometimes but then I just politely turn them down/say I'm a Satanist and get a free Bible.
I have like five JW Bibles.

They're not too bad though, unless they show up with little children to try and throw a pity party. That just annoys me.

I've kind of wanted a Jehova's witness to appear at my front door so that I can:
1) Make them say: "SHUN THE NON BELIEVER!"
2) Make a speech about why they should convert to Buddhism.
3) Make sure that they know once and for all that I won't ever follow the ways of the Jehovah's witness.

Back
Top Bottom