• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

RPG Maker Help

Minnow

If you're gonna dig, dig to the heavens!
Yup yup, exactly what the title says. I'm actually pretty good at coding things in RPG Maker and thought that I should share my knowledge with anyone else who wants it. I shall provide any and all answers/help I can give to those who ask. Also, so as not to hog the spotlight, if I can't answer something, or someone else knows the answer and I haven't responded yet, go right ahead, I don't care. ESPECIALLY WITH RPGMAKER XP, because, as skilled as I am in the older programs, I have no clue whatsoever with XP. And XP really annoys me, too, for other reasons.

(In short: Ask question, I answer, so can others, no XP.)

I believe that there was a thread like this before, so you may consider this a continuation, if you wish.

Let's see. I don't usually need any help with RPG Maker, but there's one thing I can't be bothered to find out for myself, so I might as well let you do the hard work:

If you want to display a picture so that its exact centre is at the exact centre of the game screen, what coordinates do you give it? I've never used pictures, so I wouldn't know, but I suddenly had this great idea, and now I think I'm going to try it at soon as I download RM2K to this computer.

If you want to display a picture so that its exact centre is at the exact centre of the game screen, what coordinates do you give it? I've never used pictures, so I wouldn't know, but I suddenly had this great idea, and now I think I'm going to try it at soon as I download RM2K to this computer.
Assuming that RPG Maker lets you display images by specifying where the top-left corner is (I don't actually know, but that seems common):

For the x co-ordinate: (window width / 2) - (image width / 2)
For the y co-ordinate: (window height / 2) - (image height / 2)

I think. This is a sort of non-RPGM-specific answer off the top of my head and I may well be mistaken. But I think that would work. Maybe you'd need to round the value you get for each co-ordinate, or maybe you wouldn't. I'm not sure how the program handles it.

Or maybe it has an option to display the image centrally and this post was totally unnecessary. I... don't even know.

Yeah, the coordinates measure from the top-left, and, I'd have to check but I'm pretty sure that the whole thing is 320px by 240px, making something in the exact center 160px by 120px.

EDIT: Yup yup, I could go pixel check to make sure it is exactly in the middle, but it looks like 160X120 is at least approximately in the center.

Look good?

You could always tweak it if it didn't look right to you, whatever. I don't usually care to use pictures unless necessary, so they're not my strongest suit.

Last edited:
I'm no game developer myself, though I do sprite for a fangame or two. And somebody I know has a deep grudge against RPGmaker games, especially Pokemon ones that use Poccil's essentials. E (yeah gender neutral |D) says that the program is usually illegal, and... uh, I dunno, but e doesn't like them much.

And what I'm wondering is, what is it that sets RPGmaker apart from the other game development programs? And is it really illegal to download? Also, do you need to download it in order to play games made in it?

Yes, downloading it is illegal. Well, I mean, you can pay for RMXP if you want, in which case it's not illegal... but yeah.

And no, you don't need to download the actual program to play the games.

And what I'm wondering is, what is it that sets RPGmaker apart from the other game development programs?
It's about as laughably easy as game-making gets.

And is it really illegal to download?
I think I'm right in saying that any pre-RPGMXP version in English is pirated without exception, as they were never officially translated and released outside of Japan? Pretty sure RPGMXP was officially translated, but an overwhelming majority will have pirated it anyway.

Also, do you need to download it in order to play games made in it?
I'm almost certain you need to download the runtime package or something like that to play games made with the maker, but not the maker itself, no.

I'm almost certain you need to download the runtime package or something like that to play games made with the maker, but not the maker itself, no.
Oh yeeeeeah, the RTP. I completely forgot about that. Yeah, I think the RTP is required... Although I don't know if that depends on whether or not you actually use any of the RTP material. I mean, logically, if the game doesn't contain anything from the RTP, you shouldn't have to download it...

Hmm. I don't know.

That's correct, Music Dragon. Same goes with the extension - if you use it, the people downloading it will need it.

And what I'm wondering is, what is it that sets RPGmaker apart from the other game development programs?
it's great for people who want to make throwaway cookie-cutter games just for the shallow feeling of having created something without actually needing to exert any real effort

Back
Top Bottom