• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Runescape

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only thing you're really missing out on is player killing and unbalanced trades ^
Besides, I think the Grand Exchange is much better than standing in a bank yelling for hours, so it breaks even >_>

The only thing you're really missing out on is player killing and unbalanced trades ^

Player killing was the biggest part of the game. Completely ditching it because maybe a handful of people were using it to sell in-game items for real money is, to put it simply, retarded.

A massive part of making money for people who were good at PvP was staking money in duels, and that died before anything else. You can't stake over 3k (30k if you do most of the quests in the game), and that's a pathetic amount of money.

Unbalanced trades? You can't even give a friend a damn gift. You can't make a profit on anything, ever, unless you're happy with 3k, which I could make in minutes.

And there's still the matter that almost nothing had been released for higher levels between 2006 and 2007 that had any good reason for anyone to get/do. As well, range and mage were constantly shafted in favor of melee.

Besides, I think the Grand Exchange is much better than standing in a bank yelling for hours, so it breaks even >_>

Problem is, the prices are about as flexible as a brick wall. Again, you can't make a profit on anything, unless you log weeks of gameplay for making maybe 3k per item.

Plus, Jagex decides the Grand Exchange prices (which control almost everything in the game now) by looking at what prices everyone's selling an item. If a lot are having the price as high as possible, they raise the average price they think the item should have, and vice versa. And the big problem: Most people will want to get rid of whatever it is they're selling, so they'll have the prices lower. Jagex will then start dropping the average price, which affects all prices everywhere, and the cycle will continue until the item is worth nothing. Sometimes the opposite will happen; greedy people will demand high prices for the item, meaning Jagex will boost the average price, and this'll continue until the price is unreasonably high.

Player killing was the biggest part of the game. Completely ditching it because maybe a handful of people were using it to sell in-game items for real money is, to put it simply, retarded.

A handful of people? Try thousands.
You have Bounty Hunter to make up for it >_>

A massive part of making money for people who were good at PvP was staking money in duels, and that died before anything else. You can't stake over 3k (30k if you do most of the quests in the game), and that's a pathetic amount of money.

Well unless they imposed some kind of limit then Gold farmers would easily be able to sell their gold

Unbalanced trades? You can't even give a friend a damn gift. You can't make a profit on anything, ever, unless you're happy with 3k, which I could make in minutes.

Can't make a profit on stuff? It's easier than you think. Merchanting still exists, you just need to pay attention to the Grand Exchange. Find an item that has a price that constantly goes up and down. Wait until it's gone down as far as you think it'll go, buy it in bulk and then wait for the price to go up.
As for giving friends gifts, that's not a vital part of the game. If you need to borrow some armour or a weapon ect. you can literally use the loaning feature

And there's still the matter that almost nothing had been released for higher levels between 2006 and 2007 that had any good reason for anyone to get/do. As well, range and mage were constantly shafted in favor of melee.

Not sure about the updates, because I don't have a clue about anything that wasn't major, like quests, but Mages and Rangers were attended to because Melee was too overpowered compared to them. Because of this, they needed to balance it out so that each class had it's own benefits and drawbacks

Problem is, the prices are about as flexible as a brick wall. Again, you can't make a profit on anything, unless you log weeks of gameplay for making maybe 3k per item.

The prices are very stable on some things, yet change in an instant on others. It's not hard to get enough cash to get to the stage where you can merchant rares like Party hats and Halloween masks. You can make hundreds of millions in profit off them

Plus, Jagex decides the Grand Exchange prices (which control almost everything in the game now) by looking at what prices everyone's selling an item. If a lot are having the price as high as possible, they raise the average price they think the item should have, and vice versa. And the big problem: Most people will want to get rid of whatever it is they're selling, so they'll have the prices lower. Jagex will then start dropping the average price, which affects all prices everywhere, and the cycle will continue until the item is worth nothing. Sometimes the opposite will happen; greedy people will demand high prices for the item, meaning Jagex will boost the average price, and this'll continue until the price is unreasonably high.
If I'm not mistake, the Grand Exchange prices are seldom altered by Jagex. All they do is put the starting price in and sometimes edit it when things get out of hand.
It works on a system of how many people are buying and selling and at what prices. If a lot of people start selling at higher prices, and people buy it, the price will change accordingly. I don't know the exact formula however >_>

RunEscape. Oh, it has been a long time.
Though technically, the last time I played it was actually just last December. (To get the seasonal stuff they hand out, you see.)

Way back in the day, yeah, played RS a lot. Some other people from here on the forums, too. Eventually got a Members account, after doing all the non-members quests there were to be done (except for Dragon Slayer, I think, which I seem to recall finishing after getting my membership), then played there for a while more, doing quite a few more quests and such... Eventually I got bored and/or tired of the game, since I seemed mostly to be grinding. Especially for Gold. ...Which reminds me, I do need more Law runes still. Then we stopped paying for membership since I wasn't using it. It was fun for a while, though.

Still has some nice music, though you have to play in High Detail to hear it. I'm half tempted to log in one of these days just to listen to Borderlands or Barking Mad or Baroque or... What's that other one? Gaol? Hrm. Oh, Gnome Theme or whatever they play by the Dwarven Mines near Falador, too.

...Also, I'd like to mention that their overprotective and unrealistically restrictive chat filter is an awful piece of carp (sic). And that I collect blue wizard's hats. (The ones they sell in Port Sardim, I believe? Not the ones they sell in the Gnome Stronghold.)

Still has some nice music, though you have to play in High Detail to hear it. I'm half tempted to log in one of these days just to listen to Borderlands or Barking Mad or Baroque or... What's that other one? Gaol? Hrm. Oh, Gnome Theme or whatever they play by the Dwarven Mines near Falador, too.

You've been able to hear music in Low detail for a looong time now ;)

I've been playing for nearly 5 years. I've never taken a legit break, though I have gone long periods of time logging in only to talk to friends. At the moment, I'm barely playing. I wanted to go for 99 wood cutting this summer, but due to Starcraft and summer school, that goal died. My name is "Redfire50000". Add me if you want, my private is on, so just message me if you want to. I used to run a clan called The Unforgiven. It had two runs. The first was decent. We won a few wars, our forums had 5,000 posts, and then we died. Run two was far better. We were rank 1 on the Tip.It clan war section, and our forums were getting 100+ posts per day. It died when the other two leaders got into a fight. The forums are still around, and there are a few of us remaining, but all we really do is spam. There was a second attempt at reviving it, but it failed after I left after seeing that it wouldn't work out with the other leader, the one who mostly caused it to close.

I remember playing this when I was seven. It was cool because it was what really got my friends and I into the wonders of internet. Then it got worse and worse and we all grew up so in time everyone stopped playing it. Now every time I hear about it it just sounds worse and worse

did they really get rid of the wilderness or something? I can't be bothered to check

oh yeah and the swear filter is hilariously bad.

...They got rid of Player Killing?

Ok, I am just going to ask now...

Should I just cancel my subscription to the game? Because getting rid of a feature that big is not good...

...They got rid of Player Killing?

Ok, I am just going to ask now...

Should I just cancel my subscription to the game? Because getting rid of a feature that big is not good...

They made a replacement, Bounty Hunter, but it's a tiny fraction of the area of the wilderness, and you can barely do a thing without being ganked by like five people.

If you want to try Bounty Hunter and see how you like it, go for it, but BH didn't do it for me (or almost anyone else I spoke to about it).

No, really.
16%2Bsummoning.png

Last edited:
You're trying to defend it requiring quite a lot of grinding. Grinding is not entertaining.

They have clan wars. You run around trying not to die (myself being a lowly lvl 20something), and if you succeed you get 20-40 lvl. 70-100s chasing you whilst you eat lobsters a friend gave you and laugh at their anguish. I myself find it somewhat more fun than tking and much more fun than Bounty Hunter.

My account name is "cabalein", a fairly random crap name I came up with to avoid the dreaded numbers. Let me warn you though: should you add me, I give very little. I am currently poor, armorless, armed only with a kite, a blue pointy hat, and a flamboyant blue suit. I honestly sold all my armor and spent all my gp on white gloves and that kite, along with an inventory-full of spinning plates. I will not add random people (75% of all RS players are either epic jerks or clueless "GIEV ME GP" beggers), so pm me or something in advance, and I won't refuse you.

I thought that Runescape was a pretty fun game about... five or six years ago. Now every time I log on (which isn't very often at all, maybe once a year at most), it seems like Jagex has made it even lamer than the last time I logged on.

My username is Naomianna but don't expect to see me on. Ever. Because there are much, much better games out there than Runescape. :3

I played runescape and was even a member for a little bit. Then I got my hands on an MMO for big kids and never looked back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom