• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Scientists make monkeys glow, cure AIDS

The new Glow-in-the-Dark monkey! Never lose your pet monkey in the dark again! :3
G-glow in the dark monkeys!??!?!?!?!?! MOMMY, BUT ME A GLOW IN THE DARK MONKEY
Um... maybe for your birthday, honey.
*Voice gets deep and raspy* No, I need a glow in the dark monkey now women!

Kawaii is not like Je ne sais quoi because it is a direct translation of cute and therefore does not need to be introduced into our vocabulary since the world already exists and expresses itself perfectly.
I disagree!

"Cute" in English often has sexual connotations (e.g. "that girl's so cute, I wanna bone her" or "I had great oral from Steve, he's so cute"). Kawaii is a completely aesexual word! You would never use it to describe, say, a stripper. Thus, there is space in the language to accommodate it!

Also I'd argue that "je ne sais quoi" could easily be replaced by the common English word "thing".

Maybe I'm just a weeaboo, but I think that if you're going to be a fanboy over a racist, insular, overrated culture, you should at least be able to choose which one it is. :3

Er. Cute has sexual connotations? I guess I want to fuck kittens. Don't make things up for the sake of an argument.

And no. 'That man had a certain je ne sais quoi...'
'That man had a certain thing.'
As I said, there's no real translation. And whether you like it or not, France influenced Britain greatly and vice-versa and there's no reason for your weird hatred of it as a country.

i just think that French culture is *massively* overrated. seriously, the way some people treat it is no different from weeaboos with Japan.

i mean, sure. they came up with some cool stuff. but France is not all the damned culture that exists in the world.

Er. Cute has sexual connotations? I guess I want to fuck kittens. Don't make things up for the sake of an argument.
huh.

interesting. i could *swear* that i've heard many people use it in the context of sex. but y'know, maybe i'm just stupid. :3

interesting. i could *swear* that i've heard many people use it in the context of sex. but y'know, maybe i'm just stupid. :3

It's more of a general description and then it's turned sexual by context, much like how beautiful is a word that can be used to describe a person you think is attractive, or you could use it to describe a landscape (or something to that effect).

I always thought that people used kawaii to mean a much more extreme version of cute to be honest.

Don't really see the argument against its use other than the fact it sounds incredibly stupid. At least it's a word from another language rather than some of the utterly idiotic slang words that are being added to English dictionaries.

Don't really see the argument against its use other than the fact it sounds incredibly stupid.

That is the argument against its use, if I'm not mistaken.

I think the difference between people using a phrase that's been "assimilated" into the English language (it's been said before, English "beats up other languages and steals words from them" - lots of English words come from other languages) over the course of a very long time, versus weeaboos throwing random Japanese words into English text because of some strange aversion to English words ("Im looking for a bento box, it cant be pinku (thats japanese for pink) or any girl color. It has to be of 2 or more kotoba (thats japanese for 2 compartments) and has be be chibi(small) sized. And has to be really kawaii (cute).")

Isn't that just stealing back and forth? Because of all of the anime, ratio, beru, manga, pinku (apparently), pan (That's Spanish, I think), mii, mon, etc. It's sort of dumb.

I wouldn't like a glowing pet/person. I'd be difficult to sleep since it's so bright and all.

Back
Top Bottom