• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Sexuality

Sexuality?

• I am heterosexual.

Votes: 99 44.8%
  • I am homosexual.

Votes: 21 9.5%
  • I am bisexual.

Votes: 42 19.0%
  • I am pansexual.

Votes: 11 5.0%
  • I am asexual.

Votes: 15 6.8%
  • I don't know.

Votes: 33 14.9%

• Total voters
/HAD (HAS) A HIGH SCHOOL RELATIONSHIP
/cannot be taken seriously ever

lol, it's not that.
It's more about the people in my high school than anything who have ridiculously superficial relationships that last a week and then they move on to another guy/girl and have more drama. I don't know; I really don't understand them and I've always found it hard to understand relationships like that.

it was stupid of me to say that though considering I am eternally single. :x

a couple of my friends in high school had a relationship that lasted at least the entire school year. I say "at least" because they both graduated at the end of the year and are going to different colleges; I'm not sure if they're still continuing their relationship. I found that as a pretty good example of a high school relationship that lasted, though.

Superficial and fleeting relationships are part of the process of learning how to be with another person. They help form part of who you are and they also provide useful practise for ~*the real thing*~ later on in life. They help you to learn what sorts of people you like and the people with whom you are compatible. They can also act as a symbol of status, which is an important thing in human society.

They serve a purpose. Some of them even turn into meaningful, long-lasting relationships!

as much as I loathe to admit it Harlequin seems to have a point.

note: my most fleeting relationship was around nine months

i'm in high school and the relationship i'm currently in has lasted two and a half years and counting

They can also act as a symbol of status, which is an important thing in human society.

Urgh. I have a friend, who is usually lovely, but is horrible to all the girls he goes out with, treating them as status symbols rather than actual human beings. He has more superficial relationships than anyone I know because he absolutely cannot stand being single.

Urgh. I have a friend, who is usually lovely, but is horrible to all the girls he goes out with, treating them as status symbols rather than actual human beings. He has more superficial relationships than anyone I know because he absolutely cannot stand being single.

Yeah, that happens sometimes. It's sad. :( Poor girls.

it's interesting that almost everyone who claims that high school relationships are stupid and lame and kiddy were single throughout their time at school. conversely, I've very rarely heard people who were in a school romance claiming that it was stupid and not worth their time.

I may be a ronery virgin, but I don't see the need for sour grapes. :)

it's interesting that almost everyone who claims that high school relationships are stupid and lame and kiddy were single throughout their time at school. conversely, I've very rarely heard people who were in a school romance claiming that it was stupid and not worth their time.

I may be a ronery virgin, but I don't see the need for sour grapes. :)

I was single, lol.

What I meant is HS lasting into marriage later. I think once you're 16-17 relationships will tend to last a while - but not for the rest of lives

And sometimes, just sometimes, a school relationship will end up as a happy marriage of over twenty years... until the boy comes out as gay! (True story)

Hell, I have two sets of uncles/aunts who had highschool romances, got married at 17, both women got pregnant at age 17, and they're still together. Now they're all in their fifties.

But still, while I don't think highschool relationships are silly or pointless or anything like that, it does bother me when they're taken too seriously. I have a lovely but very naive friend who reckons her current boyfriend is her soulmate and that they're going to be together forever... and it just breaks my heart because of how unlikely that is. :|

Same for one of my uncles, who got with my aunt when they were 16. I mean, it does happen.

But it's rare.

I was single, lol.

What I meant is HS lasting into marriage later. I think once you're 16-17 relationships will tend to last a while - but not for the rest of lives

My parents met when she was fourteen and he was sixteen. Still together two children and over 25 years later!

My parents were both seventeen when they started going out. My friend Orla's parents were 16 and 18 when they started going out 20 years ago.

For something that's rare, high school romances leading to marriage seems surprisingly common.

My parents met at ages 15 and 16 and suddenly, romantic comedies seemed a lot more real. My parents are complete opposites, my mother is a social butterfly and my father is a work-obsessed (but in a good way) hermit who thinks everything is beneath him. (I take after my dad.)

They broke up once, while in collage, but got back together shortly thereafter.

They've been married for 23 years and have three kids.

Back
Top Bottom