• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Frontier Town Sun Stone Saloon

Bellatrix noted Nolan's reaction to her questioning, what she could gather was substantial and provided many implications towards the Covenant's inner workings. Something she would have to ask this "superior" of his or to consider for later, the inteleon's patience was clearly worn thin by this point. She had no comment regarding the telepathic communications beyond noting a likely psychic-typing of Nolan's superior. She finished her drink and stood up.

"Very well," she said. "I am quite interested in meeting them myself." Perhaps they would provide more information regarding the Covenant's inner workings and Nolan's relationship to it, though how easily they would part with it was another question entirely. "Please, lead the way."

Odette returned Nolan’s dry smile with a small one of her own, shrugging as she went. “Of course, but you can’t knock me for wanting specifics,” she said cooly.

Her mind was going to work already, even as she stood up. Were they about to meet some snooty ex-human psychic type? Or, perhaps, the patron that had brought Nolan here in the first place, if it wasn’t this Beacon that the Covenant seemed hyperfixated on?

She shot a glance at Archie, then toward Steven (where her eyes seemed to linger a little longer), then gestured toward Nolan. “By all means. I’d love to meet your superior.”

Last edited:
"The Covenant does plenty of external communication. What do you think this meeting is, good sir?"

"Point taken," Ridley said, shrugging to himself. That wasn't really what he'd been asking about, but it was certainly an answer, especially considering that he doubted the Covenant would be bothering with them at all if they weren't offworlders.

When Ridley had fought the Vanguard, they'd warned the Wayfarers against thinking they could 'fix' Forlas to suit themselves. If they was how they thought of the Covenant, then Nolan at least didn't seem to be doing much to prove them wrong. You want to make society more resilient, but you're not public-facing... How did they expect to effect any meaningful change if not in collaboration with the communities they claimed to want to help?

I was tasked to investigate Cipher's operations; I found them to be reprehensible; I reported back accordingly.
That… caught Gladion off guard, given the context. Did he know? Had Cipher not successfully created Shadows at that point? Or had the Coven been in contact with them before Nolan’s mission?

Nolan offered to go let them see his boss. Gladion had a different concern, but maybe he could slip in another question. He dropped the taunting tone.

“Nolan. Do you… know what species I am?”

If he wanted something, he he’d have to offer something in return. That’s how people like this operated, he believed.

“We found one in Cipher’s hands. Might be a point of interest to your investigation.”

The Dewott’s insinuation had gotten an indignant reaction out of the amphibian. He didn’t end up needing to answer Nolan’s question, though, Bellatrix covered that for him. And if Nolan’s best answer to the fact that his Covenant had thrown caution to the wind and provided material support to Cipher – that they’d created a sentient being and then handed them off to an organization who’s whole ideology involved abusing people until they became mindless killing machines – was that he didn’t personally make that call? Archie was less than impressed. And, even if they were true, The Inteleon’s protests of ignorance of the behind the scenes machinations of the organization that he, himself, worked for did little to endear either him or the Covenant to Archie.

Archie remained quiet through the ensuing back and forth, sipping at his coffee. A meeting with Nolan’s superior was quickly offered and accepted. The Legendary birds were discussed, Ridley tried to argue on the merits of operating in the public eye… And Gladion decided to press the Graydian angle further. That brought Archie back into the conversation, his gaze shifting from Nolan, to Gladion, and back again. The Dewott had yet to meet Sage personally, but they were a friend of his friends, and another in Cipher’s long list of victims. He might not have chosen to bring them up, personally, but he trusted Gladion to know what he was doing.

“They’re safe now, well, at safe as anyone can be around here,” Archie added, “We managed to rescue them from Cipher, along with the other prisoners, during the Terminal Two raid.”

Last edited:
Steven floated along with the rest of the group, following Nolan to the rooftop of the Saloon, but he couldn't help leave a lingering glance towards Ridley and Archie. Maybe it was just how things worked in their world, but he couldn't help agreeing with what some of Nolan was saying.

How much public policy did they think was made with complete transparency and approval from the general public? If only Ridley knew how many closed-door meetings were held both within the League and his father's company... No matter how hard you tried to take everything into account, it wasn't possible to please everyone. If every decision had to be vetted through that sort of approval process, nothing would ever get done. Not to mention if these were matters of the safety of the entire world. If every possible threat that descended upon Hoenn had been publicly disclosed, there'd be mass panic. No, some things were better left to operate behind the curtain, as long as those behind the curtain weren't abusing their power...

And it's not like Nolan was a policy-maker within the Covenant, either. They'd been treating him as if he were the one making the decisions, not an intelligence gathering officer. Nolan hadn't been one to bend the truth when it came to reporting information; Steven could respect that much, at least. Even though Nolan made his own biases perfectly clear when it came to using his intelligence...

As such, he hovered up to Nolan with a polite tilt of his head. "My apologies," he said discreetly, "Our group has been on edge lately, what with the dealings with Cipher, and the less than savory encounters with some of the Saints Ms. Bellatrix mentioned. Please don't let their words imply that we're not grateful for your continued cooperation in trying to keep Forlas safe."

It wasn't that he liked the man, but he wasn't an enemy! Not to mention the fact that if Nolan wanted to be an enemy, there was little they could do to stop him from making their lives a lot harder.

For now it was best to continue a strictly professional approach; one it seemed a lot of their group were not exactly suited for.

"Very well," she said. "I am quite interested in meeting them myself. Please, lead the way."
“Of course, but you can’t knock me for wanting specifics,” she said cooly.
"Point taken," Ridley said, shrugging to himself.

Nolan nodded cordially, sipping the last of his own wine and placing the glass delicately to one side.

"I trust that you will comport yourselves appropriately," he began to say, before Gladion caught his eye.

“Nolan. Do you… know what species I am? We found one in Cipher’s hands. Might be a point of interest to your investigation.”
“They’re safe now, well, at safe as anyone can be around here,” Archie added, “We managed to rescue them from Cipher, along with the other prisoners, during the Terminal Two raid.”

Nolan raised a brow.

"You are a 'Graydian', are you not? Not a species I'm familiar with, but naturally I've come across the name while investigating your party, as there are two among your number. If I had to guess, I would have assumed it was native to the Old World. Some Akkairosic or Tsainanese rarity, perhaps. What is the significance of one having been in Cipher custody? Is it important?"

While Gladion considered this, Steven stepped in.

"My apologies," he said discreetly, "Our group has been on edge lately, what with the dealings with Cipher, and the less than savory encounters with some of the Saints Ms. Bellatrix mentioned. Please don't let their words imply that we're not grateful for your continued cooperation in trying to keep Forlas safe."

Nolan visibly untensed at Steven's assurances.

"I must admit, I am not always the picture of diplomacy myself after a trialling ordeal – for instance, having tramped around the frontier and been assaulted by that 'Wolf' fellow. I quite understand and am... prepared to overlook such small matters. For what it's worth, while there is much to be alarmed at regarding your origins and destinies, I must congratulate you on your own achievements in waylaying Cipher."

Nolan stood. It appeared from how he held himself that once someone addressed his questions about the rescued Graydian, that he would lead the party upstairs.

Something about Nolan’s answer brought a sour taste to Archie’s mouth, and he had to wash it back down with the rest of his coffee. It took him a minute for him to actually figure out what it was, but, eventually, he realized, it was just that. That word, ‘It’ – ‘It’ was native to the Old World, Is ‘It’ important. Dismissive, dehumanizing – no, he was being ridiculous. Reading too much into it. He’d already been primed to dislike this Inteleon and he was just looking for further reasons to do so. The Dewott was more professional than that.

“The significance is your organization put them there,” he muttered into his empty cup. They’d done more than that, if he understood correct. Created them to be a weapon, handed them off to Cipher as a little planet welcoming gift when they failed to meet expectations. Then Cipher pumped them full of corruption, and left them to rot underground. And here was Nolan, calling them an ‘It!’ No, he was just going in circles now. Archie set his cup back on the table, and stood from his seat.

“Best not keep your boss waiting,” he said.

“ARK Units, or Graydian as you know us, aren’t a natural species at all. We have to be created.

“The significance is your organization put them there,”

Gladion shot a sad look at his companion. “Archie, Archie, Archie, talk about jumping the gun. You can’t just throw around accusation like that and expect to be taken at your word!”

He offered a more friendly look to Nolan. One that Nolan would likely see through as fake immediately. “All we know for certain is that they didn’t import their ARK Unit, my body’s compatibility with this world proves that, and that it was the source of all the Shadow corruption that Cipher used to cause that crisis. The lynchpin of their whole operation.”

Gladion shrugged with one talon, playing at a facade of indifference. “We can’t prove that their head researcher wasn’t lying about trading one for some broken human tech. We can’t prove she correctly identified who the other trading party was. How can we be certain that her jab about how that mysterious party wanted them back once she got that to produce Shadow was true?”

“That would be quite a conclusion to suggest based on heresay, given it would mean that upper management knew some key information about how Cipher produced Shadow, even if they didn’t know the details. It’d mean that either Nolan was sent out severely underinformed of the situation, or that upper management created the Shadow crisis by gleefully ignoring his warnings for some literal scraps of material gain. You can’t just say that, Archie. It’s rude.”

He offered a saccharine smile to Nolan. “You’re a clever man and an investigator. I’m pretty sure you wouldn’t want to be spoonfed conclusions, though it’s a bit late to avoid spoilers now. Really, it’s none of my business what you believe about your employer anyway. I just thought hearing that might help abate frustration if some of us are a bit recalcitrant with you. As you said, it’s important to be careful what information gets out. I may well have said too much already…”

Last edited:
Nolan stared at Gladion, eyelid twitching, mouth ajar, as the chimera rambled on.

Laura shot a sidelong glance at her friend as her internal organs anxiously shuffled their arrangement.

"...When—?" came a whispered word through the Inteleon's thin, reptilian mouth. "You—"

He shook his head, and pinched the bridge of his face with a slender hand.

"I see," he said, acidly. "While this is disturbing information, you'll forgive me if I seek to have all the facts before drawing any conclusions. I'm sure that if there's any documentation to support this claim that you'll allow me to examine a copy."

Behind Nolan's eyes, it seemed there was much he might have said, but whatever contentious thoughts he had, he kept them to himself. The investigator recovered and maintained his composure, and gestured elegantly to the rooftop stairs.

"If you all would not mind...?" he said, to the party in general.

Nolan turned and ascended to the Sun Stone's roof, his gait stiff and his grip tight on the banister.

Atop the saloon was a kind of terrace, open to the elements and set with reclining chairs and what seemed to be an open bar. This was of no interest to the Covenant agent, who walked past towards the most open space available.

"My superior will be with us momentarily," he told whichever Wayfarers were first to follow. "Please show a modicum of respect, would you? I am certain that something of my disposition has offended you, that you believe you have reason to distrust me or the organisation I serve, and that you are foreign to this world and our norms, but all the same, I beg of you to at least be civil with an individual of such long and selfless service as Lord Articuno."

A pity then that Terminal Two had been rendered completely inaccessible, the materials within unusable, Bellatrix thought as she overheard Nolan's reply to the chimera. But that was besides the point now, their questioning regarding the Covenant's inner workings would see far more productive results with Articuno.

"Assuming that they're nothing like the other two Saints we recently had to have dealt with, I am certain it will be fine," Bellatrix replied, breaking the silence before stepping forwards into the open, waiting for the bird to make their appearance.

It felt good to watch the lizard start to crack. To see the impact of his words, and to watch Nolan struggle with what to think. It was- No, wait, what was he thinking? This was not supposed to be an enjoyable endeavour. He felt a sobering nausea. This kind of posturing for kicks wasn't supposed to be something he enjoyed it was more like something that reminded him of Lu

Deep breath. In and out. These were not productive thoughts. Best not to think about it, and just to move on.

"I was thinking I'd ask you if you might have access to records like that, before we... y'know, ended up starting from the finish line. Lovrina'd be happy to rub her accomplishments and ability to get one over on you guys in your face, if you can stand to listen to her talk. The ego might impact her credibility, though. The 'Graydian' we rescued would not be a good person for you to talk to." (Please don't go looking for Sage. Please.) "Trust me. Bad idea. And we don't have Cipher's records, so the only other people who'd have a record are the other side of the bargain."

Gladion looked out as he stepped out to the ceiling, checking for Articuno, speaking in a lowered voice.

"And you probably shouldn't tell your superiors what you're looking for. You're clearly not supposed to know this, after all."

Last edited:
Steven watched Gladion's exchange with wide eyes. Was there some reason he decided that it was a worthwhile risk to flaunt how much they'd learned about Cipher's dealings with the Covenant? And not simply flaunt it, but flaunt it to someone who undoubtedly had a direct line back to the organization responsible? Because once Nolan mentioned anything about anyone being aware of what transpired, it would be foolish to think they'd do nothing to eliminate any trace of deliberate wrongdoing save for the word of several known criminals.

Well, at least Gladion had the sense to ask Nolan to keep things quiet, but did he really want to leave the investigation of an organization in the hands of a proud bureaucratic employee and member of said organization? Inwardly, Steven winced; he didn't relish those odds... But maybe-- just maybe-- Nolan's loyalties to the Covenant weren't as deep as they seemed. Perhaps the Inteleon would surprise him yet.

Speaking of surprises: Articuno was Nolan's superior? The third of the Saint trio was a known member of the Covenant? Well, at least in that regard there was a chance they might not hate offworlders, given the whole organization was built around those with offworld origins... Mildly he wondered what Zapdos would think of one of his Saintly brethren associating with the very people he despised.

He couldn't help tensing in anticipation of Articuno's arrival, knowing the other Saints' disposition towards destruction over diplomacy.

Archie shot Gladion an incredulous look that slowly morphed into amusement as the Graydian went on and on. There was a reason, he remembered, why he liked Gladion. And it seemed like his fellow Wayfairer had succeeded in seriously getting under Nolan’s skin, which felt good to watch in and of itself. Still, the Dewott knew better than to push things any further than they already had. Besides, Gladion was right, with Terminal Two buried and only Lovrina’s word to go on on their end, Nolan was best positioned to find any of the documentation he was asking for. So, putting his hands in his coat pockets, he followed the group up the stairs to the roof. Hopefully this Articuno would be much more reasonable to deal with than Moltres was.

… Actually, while they were waiting, there was one other thing Nolan had said that had caught Archie’s attention. Might as well attempt to ask him about it while they waited, the worst the Inteleon could do was refuse to speak to him.

“You said you had a run in with The Wolf,” Archie said. He wondered how much Nolan knew about Seth, and Fein. Presumably he’d at least heard the official story they’d promulgated with Lucien’s help – that the ‘real’ Wolf was Zoroark Fein, and Lycanroc Seth was a victim of stolen identity. He’d have to ask Seth about Nolan the next time he saw the Lycanroc. But it may also be interesting to get the Inteleon’s take on the encounter. If they largely matched up, then maybe he could trust the Inteleon to largely deal with them honestly. And if Seth’s story differed heavily from the one Nolan might tell him, well… That would just prove what he already suspected.

“Would you mind elaborating on that, while we wait?” he asked, “I’m sure you heard he was brought in dead a while back. He was a Cipher agent, as it turns out.”

"And you probably shouldn't tell your superiors what you're looking for. You're clearly not supposed to know this, after all."

Nolan stared blankly at Gladion.

"My Lord Articuno has heard everything you've said, young man."

“You said you had a run in with The Wolf. Would you mind elaborating on that, while we wait?” he asked, “I’m sure you heard he was brought in dead a while back. He was a Cipher agent, as it turns out.”

The lizard glanced at Archie and adjusted his hat to the sun.

"I'm afraid not many words were exchanged, good sir. Having discreetly approached the individual in question to capture a photographic image, he became aware of my presence and attacked like a thing possessed. The injuries I sustained were... out of the ordinary."

The wolf that had attacked him had been Shadowed. This was something he'd told the Wayfarers in a previous meeting, and something Archie would doubtless pick up from his compatriots later...

"Hold steady," murmured Nolan, as the air pressure upon the roof suddenly changed.

Wayfarers' breath turned to plumes of vapour in the air. Thin sheens of frozen moisture amerged in patches to glaze the furniture and flooring. Laura's ears flattened instinctively to protect themselves from the chill. A bright silhouette took shape in front of them, and a rush of displaced air swept their faces.

The bird that had just teleported to the saloon's terrace was no less tall and imposing than the other Saints the party had encountered of late, but this one had a certain energy to them that the others had not. By the greying of their lavender feathers, the scars on their dark feet, and chips on their black mask around white eyes, one might think Articuno was far older than their counterparts. They held themself with a dispassionate, steady posture... and bowed lightly to the gathered 'mon.

"Good day," said Articuno. "I apologise for the brief change in local atmospheric conditions. It is a side effect of long-range teleportation that should dissipate shortly."

Indeed, the patches of ice were already melting away in the Soja' sun.

"Good day," echoed Laura, eyes wide, replying with a small bow of her own.

The legendary exchanged a glance with Nolan, and Nolan tipped his hat respectfully before departing the way he'd come. He'd wait in the top floor lounge bar, he told a couple Wayfarers as he passed.

"You may not realise, but your reputation reaches increasingly far," remarked Articuno, with a slight smile on their beak. Their voice was subdued, controlled. Soft by restraint rather than by gentleness, as such. "It is my pleasure to meet you in person, Wayfarers from the stars."

Bellatrix wasted no time in approaching Articuno, responding with a polite greeting of her own. Their behaviour was certainly far more inline with what she expected of a Saint compared to what she had heard of the other two birds. "Impressive how quickly word travels, though I imagine that you have been aware of us for a while," she began as to, for a lack of a better term, break the ice.

She decided to keep her queries simple for now, hoping that her fellow Wayfarers would not immediately try to antagonise the Saint. "What interest do you have in this meeting? And what are your thoughts on the topics we had previously been discussing with Nolan here?"

Fuck. He’d assumed the ability to psychically ping Nolan don’t mean being in his fucking brain constantly. “Fine. ‘Course.”

Given Articuno already knew what terms they were on, he wanted to cut to the chase. Whatever. Any pithy remarks he died on his tongue because he didn’t want to fuck this up any worse for everyone else.

“What do you want? I mean, assuming you’re not here for fun, you want something from us.”

He didn’t end up bowing. He wasn’t sure if he hoped Articuno was unoffended, or if he hoped it would be a way to offend Articuno with plausible deniability.

"Impressive how quickly word travels, though I imagine that you have been aware of us for a while. What interest do you have in this meeting? And what are your thoughts on the topics we had previously been discussing with Nolan here?"
“What do you want? I mean, assuming you’re not here for fun, you want something from us.”

Articuno unfolded a wing to make a chin-stroking gesture of thoughtfulness.

"You ask quite an expansive question, Ms Bellatrix," they observed.

So, they already knew at least some Wayfarers by name and species.

"But yes, I have been aware of your group's existence for some time. Your recent accomplishments prompt closer attention, naturally. I believe you're already aware from what Nolan has told you that the Covenant is especially concerned with 'summoned heroes', such as – ostensibly – yourselves. Since you appear to be proactive and likely to remain on Forlas for some time yet, it seems wise to maintain communications with your party, for which I shall be your liaison going forward."

Articuno's gaze turned to Gladion, with mild interest, and apparently without offense.

"I don't want anything specific from you as such, nor to compel you to perform a particular task, at this time," they said, carefully. "However, you might say that I do want 'something' from you, in that I am keen to see you continue to be a force for positive change in Forlas. It may also be that you could be of great help in addressing more of the same concerns you have turned your attention to already. As you are now all-too aware yourselves, not all offworld factions are benevolent in their intentions – one of the Covenant's obligations is to address exactly that eventuality. Hence, my wishing to coordinate with you, you understand?"

A little wordy, but not unclear.

"So you want to keep an eye on us, and our help in the future against Cipher or similar problems," translated Laura, hesitantly.

"Essentially, yes," replied the legendary bird, nodding. "Which in principle, I'm sure you would consider agreeable?"

Laura shrugged. "Seems a little vague, but sure. It makes sense to keep in contact and to work together against obvious bad actors or whatever, but what does any of that mean in practical terms? Why bother coming here to establish pretty much the same loose arrangement we already had with Nolan?"

Articuno inclined their head and placed a wingtip against their chest.

"A reasonable response. Forgive me, I forget that those in Sojaveña are more direct in their communication and prefer a plainer lexical register. I have much occasion to speak with pokémon burdened by excessive education, and I am afraid it has made me more circumspect than might be necessary."

They coughed lightly.

"Very well. I shall get to the point, and speak practically. I'm keen you do not think I am making any demands of you. I am not here to conscript you into the Covenant. However, I am prepared to offer a place in the Covenant to any of you who are interested, providing the rest of our dialogue today is agreeable. Perhaps we can make other more specific arrangements also; we shall have to see."

Laura nodded, tail flicking from side to side as her brain ticked away.

"Alright... and what about all those, ah, other matters we were asking Nolan about?"

Articuno spread their wings to their sides and tilted their head.

"About which subjects would you like me to offer my thoughts? I understand that you must have many questions about the Covenant, and I could speak extensively on many subjects, but we only have a finite time together and I would rather have a dialogue than hold a seminar."

Andre followed the others to the roof as they went. He stayed silent until the articuno appeared (just Articuno, really), their cold causing him to shiver. A more adverse reaction was to come, however, as the Saint took shape and Andre remembered what it was like to be a fragile human again. Back home, Galarish articuno were the most dangerous of the apex predator birds, and they had stiff competition - the dark-flamed moltres and the zapdos with its bone-shattering kicks. Neither could hope to be as fateful to meet as the articuno, which combined the frankly overpowered abilities of psychic types with an indisputable cruel streak. Moltres and zapdos would kill you. Articuno would make you suffer.

Those thoughts turned Andre's stomach a little more once he realized how prejudiced that sounded. Just because a pokémon was a certain way as a feral, it did not mean their sapient counterparts would be the same. He'd already spoken to a zweilous just fine before - well, that was a bad example. Still, wasn't he better than this? Better than ignorant fear?

Was it ignorant?

No, it was ignorant. This was Forlas, a place where pokémon were far more resilient. The place where his groupmembers had already beaten two other godly birds. Not to mention, this Saint had done nothing threatening so far - a far cry from the other two, based on what Andre had heard. There was no reason to assume they'd be fighting this one as well. For now, at least. As long as the Coven looked down on the common mon and sought to control their lives, they were the enemy. Someone Andre at least hoped the Wayfarers would defeat. Once the Coven found out their intentions... they might just decide not to be so civil after all.

Andre bowed with the others. "Good day," he said, like the others. But it wasn't the others that had made him do it. It had been his own fear that led him to try and please Articuno. And then came the terrible thought that a psychic could have the ability to read minds, and it made his heartbeat surge.

...But Articuno kept speaking calmly. They gave no sign of having read anyone's mind, even less that they'd been offended. Andre's pulse slowed down. Everything was alright, everything was alright. They were simply talking. And they had the whole town as witness, didn't they? Andre looked around, gauging whether the mon on the ground could see them.

Back
Top Bottom