• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Frontier Town Sun Stone Saloon

"Then I accept your challenge," Bellatrix said to the Saint. Then, with a nod considered what they had just said about their counterparts. It was clear that whatever history the three birds had together was not a good one. "I can imagine why. Unlike you, they do not seem to be particularly aware of their responsibilities. Such a shame," she added with a titter.
“Even if I won’t be of use to your operation,” Gladion shrugged, “I won’t turn down a good fight if you’d still have me.”

"Excellent. I look forward to it. Bring your best – I will not hold back."

Articuno looked almost cocky for a moment, before making another whistle-sigh. "The responsibilities of a legendary pokémon are not codified in either legal documents or scripture. They are, I'm sure, fulfilling their purpose in some way which makes sense to them."

Their eyes narrowed again, and their expression sharply chilled. For an instant, they looked every bit the vicious apex predator that Andre had imagined them.

"I cannot be content to allow good works to go undone, when by action I might improve the material conditions of the world," said Articuno, in a voice as firm and cold as iron. "To do any less would be negligent."

The ghost in a cleffa cloak spoke up next, about the question that had been nagging at his own mind.

"Hey, I have a question though," Ridley added. "I've heard that offworlders can make the people here stronger if we partner with them, but I've also heard that the Covenant doesn't like doing that. So what's the deal there? Is there like a health issue, or something?"

"Hmm? Ah."

Articuno gestured illustratively with one wing.

"Offworlders carry a potential for enormous power. They are sanctioned – indeed, they are obligated – to use that power because they were brought to Forlas by the being whose epithet is 'Beacon'. I believe them to be the spirit of this world. Simply by arriving here, historical human heroes already have the world's consent to use their power, and being without memory or lineage, they have no ulterior motives to distract them from their calling. The native pokémon they choose to most closely associate with are known to take on similar power. In my personal view, this is a natural extension of their power, and though it carries risk, it is as valid a tool as any other to fulfil their purpose. The risk is real, however. Some companions of human heroes have proven to be... headstrong, in their use of their granted power."

The bird cocked their head at the Wayfarers, as if musing on that same concern Nolan had expressed – that they did not have the same legitimacy as heroes summoned by the Beacon – by the spirit whose name was Auriga.

"Their descendants, however, and those that they bond with, do not have that same mantle of purpose. The Covenant at its time of founding identified various bad actors with inherited human power and detained them. It was agreed by the leadership of the time that human-derived power could not be allowed to spread without checks, balances, and oversight, for fear of creating a class of empowered pokémon acting in self-interest, rather than to meet an altruistic calling. Thus, all Covenant members with such heritage are instructed carefully on the significance of proliferating that power, much as they are instructed against misuse of their own."

As things stood now, Andre was only a little deer, probably nervous-looking, who barely said a thing and expressed even less in terms of opinions.

Articuno sighed lightly, their bright, cold eyes flicking to the quiet Deerling at the edge of the group.

"You have been... entirely reticent, young sir, have you not? Pray tell, does something trouble your mind?"

Their voice was kindly, in some sense, but not warm. This bird had the bearing of a scholar, not a counsellor or clergy.

"I cannot be content to allow good works to go undone, when by action I might improve the material conditions of the world," said Articuno, in a voice as firm and cold as iron. "To do any less would be negligent."
To do any less would be negligent. It almost brought Andre shivers to hear something he'd told himself so many times from the mouth of a Covenant member.
"Their descendants, however, and those that they bond with, do not have that same mantle of purpose. The Covenant at its time of founding identified various bad actors with inherited human power and detained them. It was agreed by the leadership of the time that human-derived power could not be allowed to spread without checks, balances, and oversight, for fear of creating a class of empowered pokémon acting in self-interest, rather than to meet an altruistic calling. Thus, all Covenant members with such heritage are instructed carefully on the significance of proliferating that power, much as they are instructed against misuse of their own."
Of course, yes. Your organization is the only one with people's good in mind. Your organization has the authority to decide what is the proper use of human-originated power. Your organization has it all figured out. Shame about the whole colonizing thing.
Articuno sighed lightly, their bright, cold eyes flicking to the quiet Deerling at the edge of the group.

"You have been... entirely reticent, young sir, have you not? Pray tell, does something trouble your mind?"
Oh shit oh shit oh shit. They were sure Articuno was not a mind reader, right? What a moment to address him...

Well, what would he say? Precious microseconds were wasting. Keep thinking about what's smart and risk sounding disingenuous, or speak as soon as possible and risk saying the wrong thing?

"Oh, uh, my apologies," he started. "I have always been the more quiet, observing sort. I hope that does not come off as unenthusiastic. I do genuinely think the opportunities you are offering are very... very... they stand to benefit us both greatly."

Good job, Andre. You even tried matching their register. But I supposed that's better than 'shit, man, that sounds awesome'.

Had he really even answered the question? He'd better do that. "But, no, nothing troubles my mind. Do carry on."

So it was decided then, some number of them would meet for a fight with the Saint at noon tomorrow, like a proper old fashioned duel. Battling was supposed to be how they opened their hearts to one another, right? Maybe he should consider attending, just to get a better feel for this bird and, by extension, the organization they worked for. Having an in with the Covenant wouldn’t be so bad, Archie figured, access to information and people he might not otherwise have access to, better to keep an eye on the whole operation.

As it stood, a lot of the things Articuno was saying sounded reasonable, but there was an undercurrent to it all that made him feel uneasy. Generally speaking, the Dewott agreed that if one had the power to materially improve the conditions of those around them, and actively chose to not do so, that was a moral failing on that person’s part. Indeed, those he’d met on Forlas who chose to abuse their power over others – Ignatius and Moltres immediately came to mind – were some of the people Archie felt the most active disdain for since arriving here. So, then what was it that was making him so unsure?

The more Articuno talked, the more Archie started to realize the bird might put up affectations of being approachable and friendly but under the surface they seemed… Cold. Talking about amnesiac humans as being implicitly trustworthy because of their lack of memories or ties to Forlas, having nothing to ‘distract’ them from their calling. Talking about the friendships those humans forged as being merely tools to the end of Forlas’s salvation. The evident disdain of some of those friends, who were too ‘headstrong.’ And sure, the descendants of a human hero and those they associated with might not be of the same moral caliber as their ancestors – just look at Ignatius – but surely Articuno realized that the same was true for his organization. Who provided checks, balances, and oversight to the Covenant? Who were they responsible to?

And just how far did they take this mission of theirs? Did the Covenant scoop up amnesiac humans so they could control who they met, who they interacted with, who they formed bonds with? What happened to the ones that didn’t live up to the Covenant’s standards? Were they just detained indefinitely? Or worse?

The Dewott’s frown deepened, and he reached up to tug on one of his whiskers. He couldn’t help but imagine himself in the position of one of these humans, freshly ejected from their own world and deposited into another with no memories except for the knowledge that the body they were inhabiting was alien to them. He’d been in that very position, after all. Lost, alone, and confused, and the first people they encountered were people who believed like Articuno did? The kind of warped psyches those humans must develop, being told they had been brought to this world to save it, but they couldn’t grow too attached to anyone they met in it for fear of passing their power to those that wouldn’t use it right.

And now the bird was calling out those of the group that had kept quiet, starting with Andre. That probably meant it was only a matter of time before his attention was diverted to Archie, so he’d better come up with something pleasant to say, even if it was empty. The last thing he needed was to burn this bridge before it’d even been built.

“Where is it that we’ll be meeting you tomorrow?” the Dewott asked, “I’m sure you have a place in mind that would minimize the risk for collateral damage?”

"You needn't be troubled, Master Steven; there are roles into which I can place you that are not so athletic in nature."

Steven tilted his head to the side; his best approximation of a quirked brow. Articuno's odd phrasing aside, that was a relief at least. Not that he didn't think he'd be capable. It was just that guard duty didn't really sound like the sort of thing he was cut out for. No, if this mission was to gather information and track down bad actors within the Covenant, there were other places where he could be more useful.

One question, though, hung on the tip of Steven's tongue. Joining the Covenant was all well and good; a united front for summoned heroes to help Forlas. But why was the Covenant so insistent on having them join their ranks? It wasn't like the Wayfarers had been struggling to accomplish things without the Covenant's resources...

He tapped a claw against his chin before addressing Articuno once more. "I realize the agreement has changed slightly, given your infiltration request, but why would it not be more beneficial for us to remain allies instead of members? We're already working towards the same goal; our efforts to take down Cipher should be evidence enough of that."

Nolan's quip about the Wayfarer's legitimacy sprung to mind. Regardless of how the group arrived in Forlas, it should be quite clear from the removal of Frontier Town's tyrannical leader to the dismantling of Cipher's base, the Wayfarers had Forlas's best interests in mind.

Was that not merit enough that the Wayfarers didn't need additional oversight?

"I guess what I'm asking is, what does the Covenant have to offer us, specifically? What does it mean for those who become members?"

He glanced sideways at Odette. If they were both admitted into the Covenant, they'd still be together, but what did it mean for the rest of the Wayfarers who preferred to not join? Would they be separated from each other? He didn't relish the idea of being split up; their power thus far had come from their ability to work together.

Odette could feel the eyes on her. Archie, Gladion, even Steven. She had to resist the urge to meet their eyes, more set on not breaking her gaze off Articuno. Whether it was to study what the bird was going to do next, or to show her own resolve, even she didn’t know. She knew fuck all about the specifics of what Articuno needed, but they were dangling the exact thing she’d wanted this whole time—a Covenant membership—right in front of her fucking beak. She’d be damned if she passed that up right now. There were risks in getting absorbed into the Covenant at all, but having some of those risks being broadcasted to the entire group was a welcome deviation in the plan. At least she’d have some idea of what was coming.

“I’m open to assessment as needed,” she said. “I have no doubt you’ll find use for my skills, whether they be brains or brawn related.”

Thinking about her passage into the group left her with a couple of budding questions. The biggest one was centered on what exactly the Covenant had to offer them—it was the question they’d been asking since they met Nolan and were propositioned to take down the Wolf. Now they were being propositioned with an infiltration mission and entry, and she once again found herself wondering the same thing all over again.

Luckily, she seemed to have found the person who was always out to match her wavelength. Maybe it was a steel-type thing, maybe it was a Champion thing, or maybe it was just them being such good friends they always saw eye to eye, but Steven was taking the words out of her mouth before she’d had the chance to adequately form them. She cut her eyes over to him, meeting his eye in just enough time to offer him a sincere smile, before settling her attention back on Articuno, waiting attentively for the response.

"Simply by arriving here, historical human heroes already have the world's consent to use their power, and being without memory or lineage, they have no ulterior motives to distract them from their calling. [...] Thus, all Covenant members with such heritage are instructed carefully on the significance of proliferating that power, much as they are instructed against misuse of their own."

Well, that... didn't particularly set Ridley's mind at ease. Even if there were practical reasons for it, exerting that kind of social control over people's relationships and warning them about the danger of forming close bonds sounded cold at best and outright cultlike at worst. Bad enough if it was just those native Forlasians with offworlder heritage, who presumably had access to support structures other than the Covenant, but for the offworlders who'd found themselves in a strange world, without friends or memories to lean on...

What happened to the people who didn't play along with what the Covenant wanted? Not the ones who were cruel, who used their offworlder-derived power to hurt others, but the ones who wanted to live a normal life, to find happiness where they could get it, to fall in and out of love recklessly?

Contrasted with the way Articuno shrugged off whatever Zapdos and Moltres had been doing, as though it were no concern of theirs - there was something in that which nagged at Ridley's brain. There were no codified responsibilities for legendary pokemon, but offworlders were brought here with a purpose. That seemed to be an important distinction, somehow.

"I wouldn't agree that lacking memories or existing relationships necessarily means someone is incapable of having ulterior motives," Ridley said instead. He wanted more time to chew over those thoughts in the privacy of his own brain. "Unless coming over here also resets their personality to a blank slate, people are always going to have certain ideas about how the world should work. If you trust that offworlders will want to save the world rather than want to establish themselves as tyrants, then that's because of the sort of people who are summoned, not because nobody would ever be capable of wanting that."

No ulterior motives to distract them from their calling... a person with memories might want to get the job done and return home to those they'd left behind, but Ridley guessed that someone without those pre-existing ties would be more willing to look for companionship in this new world they'd found themselves in. Humans were social creatures, as were many pokemon species. People needed people in order to be happy.

Unless you stopped thinking of them as people and started thinking of them as tools. Obligated, Articuno had said. Nobody cared whether a hammer was happy, as long as it hit the things it was supposed to. To do any less would be negligent, right?

"Oh, uh, my apologies," Andre started. "I have always been the more quiet, observing sort. I hope that does not come off as unenthusiastic. I do genuinely think the opportunities you are offering are very... very... they stand to benefit us both greatly. "But, no, nothing troubles my mind. Do carry on."

"Hmm... That is well."

Articuno could have meant that, or perhaps they thought it a weak answer – who could say?

“Where is it that we’ll be meeting you tomorrow?” the Dewott asked, “I’m sure you have a place in mind that would minimize the risk for collateral damage?”

The bird nodded. "Of course. I intend to transport you to my station – there is some suitable terrain for the purpose there, uninhabited by thinking pokémon and absent of significant wild fauna. I will meet you here to teleport you."

Catching some surprised expressions, Articuno smiled slightly.

"I am quite capable of such a conveyance," they added.

"I realize the agreement has changed slightly, given your infiltration request, but why would it not be more beneficial for us to remain allies instead of members? We're already working towards the same goal; our efforts to take down Cipher should be evidence enough of that. I guess what I'm asking is, what does the Covenant have to offer us, specifically? What does it mean for those who become members?"
“I’m open to assessment as needed,” said Odette. “I have no doubt you’ll find use for my skills, whether they be brains or brawn related.”

Articuno peered at the metallic pair for a moment, giving them genuine consideration.

"Should you join, I'm confident that – as you say – working closely with other Covenant members will open many avenues for good works. However, I should stress that as I said before, I did not come here to pressure you into joining the organisation. However, you cannot very well spy on my colleagues of whom I am suspicious without becoming members, do you see? In any case, there's no additional benefit as such to allyship over membership, but on that point I am rather indifferent. You must follow your own consciences, as they say in this region."

The bird made an open, 'giving' gesture with one, massive wing.

"As for what the Covenant can offer you – we are a vocational society dedicated to efforts encompassing everything from research into natural philosophy, to charitable works, to detaining such threats as Cipher without causing undue public alarm. We offer the possibility of achieving more together than apart, and a community of pokémon with much the same altruistic wishes as I trust your party holds dear."

Laura coughed lightly.

"Pokémon? I got the impression it was mostly humans?"

Articuno tilted their head very slightly, and held their wing in contemplation.

"It is my understanding that some – Nolan, for instance – prefer to think of themselves that way. But in my view, we have very few actual humans in the Covenant. Offworlders have at least been human in the past and may think of themselves as inhabiting a temporary form, but Nolan hatched on this world from an egg. He is as Forlasan as I am. He is as much a pokémon as I am. That is my own opinion, at least."

"I wouldn't agree that lacking memories or existing relationships necessarily means someone is incapable of having ulterior motives," Ridley said instead. "Unless coming over here also resets their personality to a blank slate, people are always going to have certain ideas about how the world should work. If you trust that offworlders will want to save the world rather than want to establish themselves as tyrants, then that's because of the sort of people who are summoned, not because nobody would ever be capable of wanting that."

Articuno nodded in quiet agreement.

"I make no objection to that perspective," they said, gently. "Summoned humans are certainly not blank slates, and it is my purely speculative conjecture that you are quite right – that the Beacon summons precisely the sort of people who will save the world rather than serving selfish goals."

That whistle-sigh again. It seemed they made that sound any time a troubling topic proved difficult to easily pin down.

"Those human heroes that do not return to their old lives when their duty is complete... their descendants inherit their power, but are born as Forlasan pokémon, without the same clear calling that shaped their parent's choices. There have been such pokémon as that who have been more villain than hero."

Articuno said this with a faintly hesitant tone. Something else was on their mind... but a reserved, cerebral personality such as theirs would likely keep such thoughts to themself.

"...Thank you for answering so many of our questions," said Laura, sensing that the legendary would not do so forever. "Was there anything you wanted to ask about us in turn?"

Articuno neatly folded their wings and bowed lightly.

"Your having many questions is quite understandable. I myself have always been an inquiring personality – to be inquisitive is a great virtue."

They smiled, very slightly more warmly than before.

"I have patience enough to trouble you with my own curiosity some other occasion – I would dearly care to hear about your homeworlds if I find I can spare some time for recreation. Although, I confess, I am fascinated to know whatever you can tell me about your patron. The being that summoned you to Forlas...?"

Odette resisted the urge to purse her lips in Articuno’s direction. Not out of scrutiny, but more out of shock. Why did they sound so sincere? Here she was, under the impression she was ready to stick her nose into another cult, and one of the apparent masterminds behind it was speaking so candidly and genuinely.

Then again, that’s how all cults got their power. Their leaders were just charismatic enough to instill that “everything is fine and dandy” feeling on everyone who spoke to them. Just because Articuno sounded sincere, and was airing all of Nolan’s nonsense right before them, didn’t mean her reservations were for naught. Once again, she shot Steven another look (why did she keep doing that? He was gonna think it was weird if she kept it up) before speaking again.

“I’m…not sure there’s much to tell,” she said. “It’s like I told Nolan earlier, assuming you heard. They’re inexperienced. But they brought us here temporarily. That’s about all there is to it.”

Gladion tried his best to look unaffected. Articuno’s ideas made his skin crawl. He could only imagine how easy it would be to scoop up amnesiac humans and mould them into whatever they needed. (There were some that showed up without purpose, right? Like Gerome?) String them along, puff them up with a sense of purpose when they were looking for an explanation as to why their lives were upended. The whole arrangement was rancid.

“Sorry if you wanted any revelations about your Beacon, but we don’t have any.”

A name, technically, and a minuscule amount of their nature more than the Coven had already inferred. But nothing much. Not enough to make the sentence feel like lying.

“But, yeah. We’re going home when we’re done, that much is clear. We don’t have confirmation of what that is, even.”

He hoped that’d be enough to keep the bird off their asses on that one. Patience was a finite resource, and it was one he’d never been known to have in abundance. Would probably piss off his teammates if he snapped at them, unfortunately.

Bellatrix tapped her claws together, considering how much to give away. Her fellow Wayfarers seemed eager to keep much to her chest but she got the impression that doing so excessively would quickly stifle any chance of winning favour with the Covenant, so she decided to add her own statement to the pile.

"Likely young too," Bellatrix said, adding onto Odette's statement. "And due to that inexperience, we have been left in the dark on many things about them and what it is we need to do, even if we have inferred that it has something to do with Cipher." A thoughtful hum. "What about them specifically interests you?"

Steven listened to the others explanation of Betel. There wasn't much to add; the realization struck that they actually knew very little about their summoner.

He hummed thoughtfully. "I do have one question, related to our own patron. This Beacon, do they summon their heroes of their own accord? Or do they act up on request?"

Was it unusual that Betel summoned the Wayfarers because someone asked them to?

"And, perhaps a slightly less related question..." Steven trailed off, fidgeting with one of the notches in his claw. It seemed like he was debating whether to even ask his question or not. Like it was more than a general curiosity. "How often do summoned humans remain in Forlas? And, is it as simple as a choice not to return?"

“I’m…not sure there’s much to tell,” said Odette. “It’s like I told Nolan earlier, assuming you heard. They’re inexperienced. But they brought us here temporarily. That’s about all there is to it.”
"Likely young too," Bellatrix said, adding onto Odette's statement. "And due to that inexperience, we have been left in the dark on many things about them and what it is we need to do, even if we have inferred that it has something to do with Cipher." A thoughtful hum. "What about them specifically interests you?"
“Sorry if you wanted any revelations about your Beacon, but we don’t have any. But, yeah. We’re going home when we’re done, that much is clear. We don’t have confirmation of what that is, even.”

Articuno nodded thoughtfully, the afternoon sun glinting on their feathers.

"That must be a strange predicament for you all – to not know so much as the appearance and origin of your patron. Nor, apparently, your objective that you must complete. I have to say, I would find that sort of working relationship quite... troubling."

The legendary gave the Wayfarers a hard stare, looking for all the world as if they would have steepled their fingers, had they any.

"If I may offer a small piece of advice – were I in your position, I would certainly hasten to discover my patron's identity and purpose, and the purpose for which they had called me. I wish you the best of luck in this matter."

They straightened up, alert to Steven's query.

"I do have one question, related to our own patron. This Beacon, do they summon their heroes of their own accord? Or do they act up on request?

"And, perhaps a slightly less related question... How often do summoned humans remain in Forlas? And, is it as simple as a choice not to return?"

"As far as we know and guess, the Beacon is their own master, answerable to no-one," replied Articuno. "It is not known how they might be contacted, if such a thing is possible – though it may be, if only by human heroes who dream of the Beacon's voice, giving instructions and warnings. As for the eventuality of said humans remaining in this world... As best we understand it, the longer a soul from another world lingers on Forlas, the more bound to Forlas they become. It is thought that once a human has lived on Forlas for many years – as many years as they spent in their previous life – that they have become permanently anchored to their new world, with no further chance of turning back. We don't have very many accounts from such individuals, so this is anecdotal, not data, but... it is our understanding that a human hero would petition the Beacon to return them to their old life once they were sure of their task having been completed. Once they were ready. Some, naturally, either never felt ready and missed their last opportunity – or made a choice to stay."

Really? Do you think we would never have thought of that otherwise.

Realistically, the remarks about their summoner was probably supposed to be a jab at Betel’s credibility. Gladion was concerned their origin was harmful— Near-certain of it, really. It didn’t change the fact that he still trusted them more than Articuno in their current state.

“Thanks for the idea, we’ll look into why we’re here,” he added in a polite tone. Perhaps a bit too polite. Approaching audibly sarcastic. Whatever. He doubted the sarcasm would be lost on Articuno no matter his tone.

Steven's eyes widened slightly at Articuno's response. A choice. It was a choice; his choice. That in the end, if it was true, and he couldn't really go back, if he really was dead, he wouldn't be forced to leave. It was like a weight was suddenly lifted from his shoulders.

He still wanted to know, to find the truth of his situation, but regardless of the answer there was a path forward. The end of their mission here didn't mean the end of his existence. He shot a sideways glance at Odette, resisting the urge to turn to her, grab both her hands, and celebrate his relief. The knowledge that he wasn't living on borrowed time changed things.

He kept his composure though, and offered another small bow to the Saint. "Thank you for indulging my curiosity. There's always something new to learn about this world and how it works." And then, adding, to try to soften the landing of Gladion's remark, "It'd be awfully difficult to fulfil our purpose of being summoned here if we don't continue to seek answers. We'll be sure to send word of your request to the rest of the group, both the mission and, um, evaluation."

We're working on it, she thought. There wasn't much left to say aloud, lest she accidentally let it be know there was some lying by omission in the works here. Perhaps once she could confirm they weren't dealing with a cult, whatever they did know would be worth disclosing.

Articuno's response to Steven's question left her thinking about something completely different. She couldn't explain why, but something about the idea of knowing the longer she was here, the more tied to the world she was, jarred her. So, all in all, if she was here too long, there was a chance she could never go back to where she came from?

The weight of that didn't settle on her at first. This was a mental tryst at worst, and a temporary one at that. She didn't have to think twice about it--she was going back. No question. The more she thought about the possibility of not, the more her stomach started to knot up. Not going back would mean she never saw her friends again. Her mother. Her grandparents. Odile. What the fuck would happen to Odile?

Not to mention, no more modern music. No more modern dance. No more skincare. No more tracksuits. Saloon dresses and head feathers forever.

But leaving meant saying goodbye to who she'd met here. Her friends at the saloon. Kimiko. Bellatrix. Koa. Steven. At the thought of his name, her gaze threatened to move back over to him again, but she kept herself staring at the floor. That was something she hadn't thought of, either. What were the chances she'd ever see any one of these people again?

She wasn't expecting the response to send her on a mini spiral, but that seemed to be where she headed.

"Good to know," she said, masking her mental trip by scratching at her cheek.

Articuno's beak seemed to turn up in amusement at Gladion's sarcasm. They weren't the type to let such a thing ruffle their feathers, then. If anything, it seemed the remark endeared him to the legendary bird.

"Well, if that's all that we should discuss before we part today," they began, their gaze drifting across Odette with faint concern, "then perhaps I shall bid you all well until our next meeting?"

Laura bit her lip. "Actually, I was wondering one other thing in particular..."

"Oh? Indeed?"

"Were you one of the Covenant's founders, uh, Lord Articuno? And if not, what brought you to join it...?"

Articuno's eyes blinked evenly at that word, 'lord', as if they were suppressing a distate for it. But they nodded, and resumed their thoughtful posture one last time.

"Ah, I see. In truth, I was not – though I have been a member for some generations now, and have done my best to guide it with such wisdom as I can offer. The Covenant has always made efforts to entreat the Saints to join it, or to work with it in such ways as please them, and I was among the first immortals they discovered – through clues and invitations I left for them. The short of it is that after some discussion, I found their goals and means to be acceptable – even familiar, similar to my own efforts, dating back some number of centuries now... And I confess, they impressed me. I determined that more could be achieved working together than apart, and agreed to join with them."

Laura nodded, sure that the full story would take hours to tell, being decades in the making. This summary would have to do.

"And do you feel that was the right choice, looking back?"

Articuno thought on this a moment, as if pleasantly surprised by the question.

"...Yes. I believe it was."

"Alright then," said Laura, with a low exhalation. "I guess we'll see you tomorrow?"

"Until then," agreed Articuno, with a light bow.

Then with a cold shimmer of light, and a bright gust of air, they vanished.

Back
Top Bottom