• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

TCOD Survivor (RESULTS IN, EIGHTH CHALLENGE UP)

Re: TCOD Survivor (CHALLENGE RESULTS IN, TRIBAL COUNCIL IN PROGRESS)

Crap! I keep Missing these by a day or two....well my votes in

Re: TCOD Survivor (CHALLENGE RESULTS IN, TRIBAL COUNCIL IN PROGRESS)

5 votes were cast, and with 5 votes, including 3 from penalty votes, Notoriously Unknown has been eliminated.

Challenge 4 is:

RP (Rating Pending)

You must complete the following RP passage (in private) and then PM your completed passage to Kusarigamaitachi. It can be as short or as long as you like. He will then score your passage, and then post in this thread with the critiques. The team with the highest score wins immunity.

The deadline is Friday, July 10 at 7:00 PM HKT. (That's 11:00 AM GMT, 7:00 AM EST, and 4:00 PST.)

Also, for teams Kanto and Johto, you have not participated in the last two challenges. If anyone from either those teams does not participate, they will receive three penalty votes. Of course, that may be irrelevant, as, if Flying Bread fails to participate in a fourth straight challenge, s/he will be eliminated without a Tribal Council.

Background:

You are Jason, a 16-year-old boy with the powers of a Poliwrath. You have teamed up with Sarah, who has Umbreon powers, and David, who has Magmortar powers. You and your comrades have been kidnapped and used as money-making vehicles for a group of criminals. However, once you finally turned against the criminals, the three of you were bound and gagged. You have just gotten free and freed the other two. However, you have to fight the ringleader's Drapion. While you're doing that, Sarah is busy fighting another of the ringleader's Pokemon, an Electabuzz. David is fighting yet another of the ringleader's Pokemon, an Altaria.

Here's what you have to work with.

I was positioning myself for an attack on the Drapion, when . . .

Last edited:
Re: TCOD Survivor (RESULTS IN, FOURTH CHALLENGE UP, ATTN: TEAMS KANTO AND JOHTO)

Wow, I missed the edit and sent in and rp passage from some old rpg i did i'll get on this right away =b Go johto!

Re: TCOD Survivor (RESULTS IN, FOURTH CHALLENGE UP, ATTN: TEAMS KANTO AND JOHTO)

Please do, Typhoon, If you need something lemme know, but otherwise... I ain't too much of a writer.

great...i dont think i can do this, well, in the mean time, im gonna try to kill off people with tribal council, unless fly bread comes back...

o__o
Aw come on.. I went camping...
Feh, I'm quite sure I was dead wieght anyways.. |:<

Well i sent my in so i have finally participated in one =b

I've just PM'd Kusari to post here or PM me.

NO MORE ENTRIES ARE ACCEPTED

I Won't be able to post or do any challenges in till i get back from camp (i'll be back about July 20th)

I Won't be able to post or do any challenges in till i get back from camp (i'll be back about July 20th)

lol coincidentally the same goes for me, im camping for 2 weeks starting sunday afternoon. Ill be taking a break the following sat-sun, then at camp til the saturday after that. Could you make the next challenge due sunday night plz?

Only two entries? Sweet. (Not sweet is me being called a “he”. >:( IT. )

You may notice that I don’t do the praise sandwich or anything else to soften the blow. That is because I already consumed all of the sugar.

SethGrey

I was positioning myself for an attack on the Drapion, when . . .the Drapion attacked me. I was startled I fell back hitting my head against the ground. When I looked up the Drapion was right on top of me. Its arms were holding my arms down keeping me from going anywhere. Its tail with it too stingers closed on me. I let loose a Hypnosis from my mind. It caused the Drapion to fall asleep but it fell on me. While I was struggling to get the Drapion off of me my teammates were hard at work trying to defeat the rest of the pokemon. The ringleader’s Electabuzz confronted Sarah. She let loose a shadow ball which hit the Electabuzz square in the chest. It fell back but then bounced up and let loose a thunderbolt. Sarah let loose Zap cannon both electric attacks collided and exploded. Smoke filled the room. It was deathly quiet only the weeping of a girl broke the silence. Slowly the room aired out what Pokemon and humans saw was not a pretty sight. 1st they saw Sarah on the ground, the ground around her was broken, and Sarah her self was bruised and bloody. When they looked away they saw the Electabuzz. It had hit the wall and the ceiling had collapsed on top if it. All you could see was its feet sticking out. Instantly the ringleader shout a command the Altaria swooped down picked David up and it then sang in David’s ear. Soon the Altaria swooped down and picked up Sarah and returned its sleeping and battered cargo to its master. I had finally gotten that Drapion off of me and when I looked up I wish I hadn’t. The ringleader had David and Sarah on the ground his Altaria was leaned of Sarah’s neck its beak poised to attack. Then the ringleader spoke “Now I would normally kill one of you for what you did to my Electabuzz but I need you alive” he paused “at least one of you” He smiled as the grim truth set in. “But I need you to do what I say and if you don’t” he paused again “ She dies” he points to Sarah and the Altaria above her.
The first thing I noticed was the lack of paragraphing, because that was fairly obvious. You always start a new paragraph when a new person speaks, at the very least, and there were several other times when the idea changed and it would’ve been good to start a new paragraph. Marked with (P) below are places I think might’ve made decent paragraph breaks. Even if you had perfect grammar everywhere else, a lack of paragraphs makes it harder to read.

There are several other mistakes as well. It’s really easier to just fix them in bold and red.

I was positioning myself for an attack on the Drapion, when . . .the Drapion attacked me. I was startled. I fell back hitting my head against the ground. When I looked up, the Drapion was right on top of me. Its arms were holding my arms down, keeping me from going anywhere. Its tail with its two stingers closed in on me. I let loose a Hypnosis from my mind. It caused the Drapion to fall asleep, but it fell on me. (P) While I was struggling to get the Drapion off of me, my teammates were hard at work trying to defeat the rest of the pokemon. The ringleader’s Electabuzz confronted Sarah. She let loose a shadow ball which that hit the Electabuzz square in the chest. It fell back, but then bounced up and let loose a thunderbolt. Sarah let loose Zap cannon both electric attacks collided and exploded. (P) Smoke filled the room. It was deathly quiet - only the weeping of a girl broke the silence. Slowly, the room aired out. What the Pokemon and humans saw was not a pretty sight. First they saw Sarah on the ground. The ground around her was broken, and Sarah herself was bruised and bloody. When they looked away, they saw the Electabuzz. It had hit the wall and the ceiling had collapsed on top if it. All you could see were its feet sticking out. (P) Instantly the ringleader shouted a command. The Altaria swooped down picked David up and it then sang in David’s ear. Soon the Altaria swooped down and picked up Sarah and returned its sleeping and battered cargo to its master. (P) I had finally gotten that Drapion off of me and when I looked up I wish I hadn’t. The ringleader had David and Sarah on the ground. His Altaria was leaneding of over Sarah’s neck, its beak poised to attack. (P) Then the ringleader spoke. “Now, I would normally kill one of you for what you did to my Electabuzz, but I need you alive.He paused.At least, one of you.” He smiled as the grim truth set in. “But I need you to do what I say - and if you don’t”--he paused again--(remove space) she dies.He pointed to Sarah and the Altaria above her.
Mainly your problems are a lack of periods and commas where they should be. There were some tense issues as well, where you used present tense while this is taking place in the past. Fully spell out numbers smaller than 100, especially when you’re saying “first” or “second” or something like that. I don’t generally penalise people for stylistic things like capitalising pokémon/move names, but you weren’t very consistent – it looks like you were going for capitalising them all, and missed a few.

You don’t appear to give any of the attacks much charging time, even something as powerful as zap cannon; both electrical attacks were released at the same time, and you make it sound like that was two seconds after the shadow ball hit. Nothing happens while the room is smoky except for weeping, apparently, and everything calms down because of one explosion until the room slowly airs out. David hasn’t done anything worth mentioning at this point, but whatever happened, he’s easily picked up by an altaria without a struggle. (Also, altaria-claws don’t look much like they’re for catching prey, really, with the toes being so short.) Poliwrath morphs would presumably be strong enough to get out from under a sleeping drapion faster than that, especially during the smoky part, but even if not, Jason could easily have contributed with some projectile attacks or at least looked up in that time, especially in the middle of a battle.

There’s not very much feeling in this post – for what’s probably a high-tension battle, it’s really kind of boring. You use passive language (“I was startled”, “my teammates were hard at work”, etc). This happened, then that happened, and there’s a bit of blood, in the same tone that someone would say “I had a pizza last night”. Nothing really feels present, immediate, or threatening, because everything seems so distant from the narrator. It doesn’t help that you don’t describe the attacks at all; rather than saying someone loosed a thunderbolt, it would be better to describe the electricity crackling around the electabuzz’s antennae and arcing through the air. Overall, it was fairly uninteresting to read.

Grammar/Spelling: 1/3
Logic: 2/3 - people, do something!
Storytelling: 1/4 - events could have been more interesting if there was less waiting around and if the wording was different
Total: 4/10

Flora and Ashes

I was positioning myself for an attack on the Drapion, when I felt a strange feeling go up and down my arm. Bewildered, I looked at it and drew a painful conclusion; that stupid scorpion stabbed me with its tail! Poison Sting, I thought as I clutched my arm. The Drapion seemed to smirk, at least, it got as close to a smirk as a huge scorpion could get.

I cursed under my breath as I thought of what to do next. But what are Drapion weak against? Ground, right? Would a Poliwhirl have any Ground type moves? As I thought through all of Poliwhirl’s moves, the Drapion approached me, with a somewhat malevolent look on its face. Once it got within a few feet, I ran toward the side and hoped that I had thought of the right move. Mud Shot! I thought, holding out my uninjured arm and pointing it straight at the Drapion.

Sure enough, a stream of what must have been muddy water shot out of my hand and surged toward the scorpion, which backed up in an attempt to quickly get away. A step more and it would’ve escaped, but instead, the stream hit it square in the face, and the Drapion sure wasn’t happy. It darted toward me again, this time much slower; if I recalled correctly, didn’t Mud Shot lower the target’s speed as well? While I prepared to pull off a Double-Slap on it, I took a quick look at the other battles; Sarah was running in circles to make her opponent dizzy, while David had punched the bird he was fighting, burning it in the process. I hoped that we’d be able to win; none of us had “continue to earn a criminal organization money” on our to-do lists.
Paragraphs! :D

Okay, so once the drapion manages to stab Jason with its tail, it still has to approach and Jason can wait until it gets within a few feet to use a projectile move. Said projectile move should be flying fairly quickly so that it’s not just pouring onto the ground, and it’s reaching the drapion’s face, so it doesn’t make much sense that the drapion would escape with another step or two back. That would only make sense if it would’ve hit the ground otherwise, or if there was something to duck behind. If it hits the drapion in the face, I don’t really see how it would affect speed (accuracy, maybe, even if it’s not official, because you may have hit it in the eyes), even if the game says it’s 100%. It would’ve been better if described differently to cater to the effects. Electabuzz is a lot faster than an umbreon, so running around it to make it dizzy wouldn’t work too well, especially with the electabuzz not doing anything about that.

Mud shot is said to be a blob of mud in the flavour text, not a stream of muddy water, btw.

Jason doesn’t seem to be taking the battle very seriously, but that could just be his character… in a normal person I’d probably find that odd, though nobody RPs normal people anyway. Since you only exchanged one set of attacks, and the allies weren’t given much attention, not enough happened really make it interesting. This can be forgiven somewhat because of the range of time your post covers (maybe 10-20 seconds), which would happen in an actual RP.

Grammar/Spelling: 3/3 - no major spelling/grammar errors
Logic: 2/3
Storytelling: 2.5/4 - even if not much is particularly wrong with it, it’s also not particularly impressive
Total: 7.5/10

Team Johto: 4 points
Team Sinnoh: 7.5 points

Firstly, mad props to Kusari for judging.

Secondly:

TEAM SINNOH WINS IMMUNITY!

Also, every member of Team Kanto and Johto received 3 votes and could not vote, but that's irrelevant - Flying Bread has been eliminated.

Here's the fifth challenge.

Sprite for the Right v2.0

This time, you'll be spriting a 3-way splice of:

A Water-type Pokemon
A Poison-type Pokemon
A Pokemon in the Fairy Breeding Group

The deadline is Sunday, July 18, at 6:30 PM HKT. (That's 10:30 AM GMT, 6:30 AM EST, and 3:30 AM PST.)

Also, to Teams Kanto and Johto, if any of you don't submit yours, you will be eliminated.

PM entries to me. I'll then forward them to Tropiking.

Last edited:
Re: TCOD Survivor (RESULTS IN, FIFTH CHALLENGE UP, ATTN: TEAMS KANTO AND JOHTO)

again, can u make it due on sunday, becuz i wont be home until saturday and ill be leaving again the next day in the afternoon

Ok, yes another spriting contest! And I forgot to write the RP... hehe...

MASSIVE UPDATE!

PM your sprites to me. Then, I'll PM them to Tropiking.

Firstly, mad props to Kusari for judging.
Also, to Teams Kanto and Johto, if any of you don't submit yours, you will be eliminated.

Why? Johto sent a Rp Passage last challenge so would my team eliminated?

GO! JOHTO!

Since only 2 entries are in, I'm giving you a grace period until the 22nd to submit entries.

Oh crud, I completely forgot about TCoD Survivor! O.o I wonder why I didn't get a notification by e-mail though...?

Back
Top Bottom