• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Testing thread

So normal text and colored text are indistinguishable
Italic text is slightly different but not much
Bolded text is unique
Strikethrough and Underline are pretty hard to tell apart
new font is kind of there as a lol

You use the little "A" dropdown in the editor toolbar!

Hmmmm... it shouldn't actually be tooooo hard to do a ##INVALID VOTE: BBCode that expects a valid user mention as its content, renders as something like ##VOTE: @Seshas, and creates an entry for that user in a custom table. Threads in the mafia forum could have the current vote count displayed at the top/bottom, maybe?

Like, I could theoretically do this without even having the forums know about the concept of a mafia game or who's playing the game, which is convenient. Having a concept of a mafia game and who's playing the game would be nice too, but. This could be a first step.

I guess the thread starter would have to be able to manually reset the vote count during the night, though.

Hmm, okay, this may be a little more complicated than I was hoping. XenForo will allow you to actually mention one user under somebody else's username, for one (try hovering over the "vote" for Seshas in the post above), which, hoo boy, would that have some unsavory uses in mafia. And also the way mentions work on the DB side doesn't seem to be quite as I thought so it's not as clear as I wanted how to actually sensibly collect votes in the DB.

Tag still exists, you can use it, but does not have any automated functionality for the moment. May pick this up again later, when I don't have a lot of other things I ought to be doing.

Can you make the tag just something like vote="Keldeo"? if you need the user id I guess vote="190" would be better than nothing for the moment, it's not that hard to get someone's user id

Can you make the tag just something like vote="Keldeo"? if you need the user id I guess vote="190" would be better than nothing for the moment, it's not that hard to get someone's user id
This would not really help; theoretically it'd solve the issue of mentioning one person under somebody else's name, but at the cost of "now I have to reimplement mentions".

Mayyybe vote counting could be done on the fly by just going through all posts since a certain post, parsing them, finding the vote nodes and the mentions within them, and discounting anything under the wrong username, instead of actually saving the votes themselves in the DB.

maybe a dumb q, but - with the bbcode as it is, is there a way to use it to help with vote searchability, since searching "##vote" doesn't really seem to do much? or is it only useful for visual emphasis at the moment

maybe a dumb q, but - with the bbcode as it is, is there a way to use it to help with vote searchability, since searching "##vote" doesn't really seem to do much? or is it only useful for visual emphasis at the moment
It's probably only useful for visual emphasis. I'm not sure BBCode output would be search-indexed anyway.

Is there a reason why votes need to have mentions in them?
They don't need to have mentions per se, but they do need to 1) ensure you're voting for an actual user that exists and did not make a typo/call kyeugh qva/etc.; while also 2) displaying the user's username when the post is rendered (so that actual users reading the thread can see who you're voting for).

I can highlight text I'm typing into the reply box but it's not visually highlighted, so I can't tell if I'm selected the right characters. I'm using Butterfree style on Firefox if it helps.

Random ASCII generator output:
^{Jn^"D$kIpN8Zl}]h(
A~kNL!BYwTe&%pxG4k6n.aW,&'bl~gO>s7Dsr+U!xs`O!=E=dNj$z"fmOa^S7N/oa) 9t|2M0f;xZ1?:5@7.Prtv$)X%XAttf ~2g.]n7U?yHP4cqlC'fZwlL"]/n_m=bi}&c

there are some special characters that the forums do not enjoy, and are deleted upon posting

Back
Top Bottom