• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The anime may, in fact, be deeper and more depressing than I thought...

As, a sidenote, even though this is pretty amusing, it could very well be applied to many shows, some of which very innocent and definitely not intended to be this way, like Sesame Street or Barney or Teletubbies.

Forgive me if I'm being too critical, but that is a fun interpretation, but at first I thought It was just so stupid.... then I thought It'd be a great fanfic.... that's going in my bookmarks... I find it a little addicting lol

In my opinion, I thought that huge article was just plain weird. It didn't change my output on the anime though, but it was well thought out. Too much thought though, into something as innocent as the Pokemon anime.
On the other hand, it made sense, in a way.... but I'm sure the people who made the anime originally did not intend this kind of 'hidden' meaning to it.
Whoever originally wrote this has:
1. A very, I mean, VERY strong imagination
2. A lot of time.

Last edited:
That was awesome. It all made sense, almost like the characters were created for the exact purpose that the article suggests... and yet, if this is true, it will never be revealed.

Wow. That was pretty crazy... I loved it though. It does make plenty of sense.

Though I'm sure the creators didn't intend this at all, I think it's really interesting how one can take creations such as this and make something more profound and thought-provoking out of it than was ever originally intended. It's like an "All roads lead to Rome" thing of the human mind, or something. All things are connected somehow.

I don't like it.

I mean, that article is really well thought out, but seriously, why make interpretations of a children show? It's not gonna change the way someone thinks about it; it's about a young boy in a fantastical world, trying to conquer regions with is PKMN. There's no way for that interpretation ever to be true, even if it is ingenious.

Now, it would make sense for interpretations of open-ended animes. Let's take Eva for example. For those of you who've watched the anime, there are a lot of questions to be asked after the movie. One of the big questions was, "Why were Shinji and Asuka chosen to be saviors?" There is no real answer to this question, so people make GREAT interpretation of what they think happened. You can't do this with Pokemon, because there are no "unanswered questions" or "wtf? moments". Ahs never fell into a coma, he lived out his dreams to become a Pokemon master.

But really, this is really cool, seeing how this guy made such a great interpretation. It's amazing, really. He found a symbol for all the character in Ash's journey to represent.

I don't like it.

I mean, that article is really well thought out, but seriously, why make interpretations of a children show? It's not gonna change the way someone thinks about it; it's about a young boy in a fantastical world, trying to conquer regions with is PKMN. There's no way for that interpretation ever to be true, even if it is ingenious.

Now, it would make sense for interpretations of open-ended animes. Let's take Eva for example. For those of you who've watched the anime, there are a lot of questions to be asked after the movie. One of the big questions was, "Why were Shinji and Asuka chosen to be saviors?" There is no real answer to this question, so people make GREAT interpretation of what they think happened. You can't do this with Pokemon, because there are no "unanswered questions" or "wtf? moments". Ahs never fell into a coma, he lived out his dreams to become a Pokemon master.

But really, this is really cool, seeing how this guy made such a great interpretation. It's amazing, really. He found a symbol for all the character in Ash's journey to represent.
You took the words right out of my mouth.

I don't think that Ash is in a coma. It's an kid's anime for crying out loud. And since when are Ash and James gay?

There's no way for that interpretation ever to be true, even if it is ingenious.
I dunno... the feeling that I got from it was that it was written as fan speculation, not really as 'hey guys this is what the anime is ~really~ about'. I really don't think that they're trying to say that this is what the anime is, it's just a thought that was well-written and makes a lot of sense - if you accept the first paragraph (or humor it). They seem to have exploited the plotholes in the series and interpret them as deliberate gaps and silences. It's like if I for example took the Harry Potter books and then made up a theory that they're actually all about sexuality. Completely. You don't have to believe it (note that this article isn't asking you to believe it) but it's still a good read, it gets the brain firing.
I think it's an excellent resistant reading of the series. I highly doubt that the author actually believes that this is the case in the anime (I mean seriously, they could have actually made a plot if the writers were that talented) but it's still pretty cool.
I'm a sucker for resistant readings.

Back
Top Bottom