• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Closed The Chimera Project III: Primal Fury

"The last to be killed was Second Lieutentant Tristan Slater," Andrews said, obviously referring to Gretchen's victim. "He had a pregnant fiancee--"

"Nah," Lightning said, "I'm really more interested in you."

"Prince Wei doesn't mind sharing," Bao said helpfully. "If it's with my prince, neither would I." He glanced at her sword, then swiftly pulled it from its scabbard and stepped back before she could grab it. "This is a good blade, but Prince Wei could provide much better Xingese steel."

"Hey, d--"

Bang!

Both soldiers stopped and stared at the door, then Andrews grabbed the rifle off the table and grimly pointed it at the door. Lightning shouted for the guards in the lab, who immediately rushed in with their rifles ready. Andrews glanced at Lightning's lack-of-sword as Lightning pulled off her gloves with her teeth, and tossed her his handgun. She fumbled as she caught it, but the catch was still successful.

Bang. Bang. Bang. Bang. The battle outside had apparently begun in earnest, and the chimeras could hear yelling from outside.

Lightning cocked the gun and pointed it at the door with one hand, and her other hand reached for one of Bao's prison cell bars.

"Aren't you going to go outside and support your comrades?" Bao asked. "Colonel Andrews? Lieutenant Colonel Cox?"

Lightning scowled. "It's Lightning, and use it unless you want me to show you why." The bar under her hand crackled to emphasise her point. "They're good at not killing anybody. It's more strategic to stay here."

The gunshots stopped, as did the voices. The four soldiers waited in tense silence. Bao didn't. "Prince Wei retracts his offer of marriage, as he disapproves of your attitude toward your subordinates."

"Fuck him." The alchemic sparks from the bar grew brighter and louder.

"He found the first time distasteful and has vowed to stick to women."

Then the door slammed open, and three soldiers opened fire. Since all of the bullets seemed to bounce off an invisible wall, the chimeras could see that it was a blonde woman wearing a tortoise-like shell - with cannons sticking out of the top - and a skirt. She had blue blotches on her arms and small, pointed ears, and her legs and feet were thicker and clawed.

The electricity running through the ground also stopped short of the shield.

Edward would recognise her as one Riza Hawkeye. Her face was visibly strained, possibly from holding up the invisible shield, and she had a handgun in hand.

The firing stopped, and she relaxed, taking in a deep breath. Then Lightning shot her twice - blocked again, since she hadn't actually dropped the shield. Another tentative shot also failed to reach its target. The fourth hit the wall by the door, and Hawkeye ducked out.

Lightning glanced at the handgun, then out the door. "Horse-boy?"

Andrews and the other soldiers practically dove out of the way, against the bars of the closest cells.

A blast of flame shot past them, striking the table in the middle. The papers burst into flames.

The action that suddenly sprang into existence beyond the bars startled Edward, and his ears pressed back, his body forming a neat arch. Gunshots ringing out from various directions, shouts, and the sound of feet were everywhere. He hissed.

It it was then he saw her; Riza Hawkeye, and Mustangs right-hand man..er, woman. Edward let out a loud yelp at the sight of her and tried to scramble forwards, forgetting he was bound at the wrist, and succeed in only almost yanking his arm out of the socket. He growled again.

The flames startled him even more, causing him to recoil again. Such control over flames, Hawkeye being there, and Lightning's words... But they said that he was-

"Mustang?!" The boy yowled, voice sounding more frantic that he would have liked. "Mustang!"

"Is the man... trying to make us feel guilty?"

Gretchen chuckled. I guess he is. I'd kill his pregnant wife too if it meant getting my revenge.

"That's cold. I like that."

Then, gunfire. It startled Gretchen into jumping off the bed and smacking her head against the nearby wall, but as she sat up she saw Edward dash up to the door and yell out someone's name. "Mustang", it sounded like.

"It sounds like Cat-boy's friend is alive after all. Makes it all the more idiotic that we got shot over him."

Really. Gretchen struggled up to the door and watched. It would be satisfying to see this "Lightning" and her counterpart Andrews get their asses kicked.

"What in hell...?"

Fang looks out to the bars when the sound of gun fire ringed in his ears. He shifts in his bindings and tries to get a better look when the sudden movement of Edward caught his eye. He gives the boy a passing glance, before focusing on the large shelled woman that entered the hallway.

"....Okay. I think those may be the others...or that drug they gave me really fucked me up."

What is she doing? She's going to hurt herself...

"..What are you talking about? She has some kind of energy shelled on her"

That's not who-

Then the torrent of flames burst into the hallway. Fang let's out a whoop, amusment dancing in his eyes. He looks back at Ed when he started to yell for 'Mustang'.

"...Isn't he the guy that died....?"

Fang then lets out a growl as the muzzle blocked his words again, struggling in his chains.

"God dammit, will someone get this fucking thing off of me! This is humiliating and I refuse to be rescued looking that a damned scarecrow!"

If anyone could understand his words, they either don't care or want him to suffer for a cheap laugh.

Nia shrank away from the gunshots; now that she was no longer focusing on fighting, the sound just intimidated her. She glanced up at Edward as he screamed for that Mustang person he seemed to care about a lot (but wasn't he dead?). It was probably a good thing that Edward couldn't move from the bed, because with those two specific limbs it would not have been easy to do much of anything.

Fang's whoop only served to scare her, as did his struggle against the restraints, so she edged away from him and pressed herself against her bed.

Lightning scowled at Edward. "Goddammit, are you in love with the man?"

As far as last words went, it wasn't the worst possible line.

Her sword easily pieced through the side of her neck, coming out the other side. Bao smiled as serenely as ever, forcibly turning her by pushing the blade toward the bars and tearing the sword out of the front of her neck.

"Sorry, but I like fire better than electricity," Bao said as Lightning fell to the ground. "Only true lightning storms can make a spectacle." She tried to splutter something, but the only thing that came from her mouth was blood. Bao managed to reach the handgun through the bars, and picked it up.

By now the two unnamed soldiers had reloaded, although they seemed unsure about whether to fire at Bao or those outside the door. The moment of hesitation cost them, as they were quite suddenly shot in the leg, and one of the soldiers also took a bullet to the arm.

Andrews didn't have to worry about panicking over not having a weapon, because he was shot in the torso and shoulder by Bao. He cursed, grabbing at his shoulder and dropping the rifle, and another shot from outside got him in the knee.

A tall grey-haired man stepped in, spreading his feathered wing-arms. His eyes glowed red as he stared straight at a soldier reaching for his gun, but Nia was more distracted by his massive eyebrows that looked rather like an upside-down moustache. The soldier seemed to weaken, then he simply collapsed. The bird-man did the same to the other soldier, then to Andrews.

It seemed to take three times as long with Andrews, but eventually he too went slack.

Nia heard a faint, rumbling sound. Was someone... snoring?

She took another look at the man. His face, other than the eyebrows, looked human. However, he had brown feathered wings - with a thumb and three fingers in the middle, although it didn't look like he could grasp much - and taloned feet, so he must have been chimerised with some sort of bird.

Edward would recognise this person, too: Vato Falman. With funny eyebrows.

The fire, another of Mustang's group... They said he was dead, they said we was dead, that they killed him, but here's here oh god I hope he's here-

Edward continued to scream his Colonel's name, yanking on the cuffs no matter how it hurt. He wanted out of here, and Mustang would save them, the smug bastard, no matter how much he hated to admit it. His tail whipped behind him and his ears were pressed back, and he could feel tears in his eyes, but didn't know why they where there.

In the wave of the flames, a cream, gold, and brown shape rocketed into the room, skidding to a halt. The shape was revealed to be another chimera, a man covered in fur who's lower body was rather low-slung with a long bushy tail. A cigarette dangled from his teeth and one of his pointed ears twitched. Edward recognized him as Jean Havoc. And he appeared to be wearing a...cape?

Havoc darted to Lightning's fallen body, clicking his tongue and frowning. He looked at Bao, one eyebrow raised.

"You didn't have to kill her, you know." He snorted, looking mildly annoyed.

Close behind him, a small, thin figure watched Havoc's back, his body oddly feminine looking. He had long rabbit ears tipped with fluff, fur rimming his wrists, and a small rabbit tail. A pair of glasses were balanced crookedly on his nose and he looked rather exasperated. Edward knew him too - Kain Feury.

Yet another Chimera made their way into the room, this one larger-built than his companions, his skin oddly green-tinged in places and what looked to be a massive flower growing from his back. He was shirtless to accommodate the flower.

Edward continued to scream, his hopes soaring that Mustang was there and alive and not dead.

Then someone else strode into the room, someone Edward didn't recognize. A tall man with cream-coloured skin and a single horn jutting from his forehead. Instead of normal legs, he had horse-like limbs ending in hooves, and a blazing tail of crimson flames. At first glance, his hear was as red as the fire, but upon watching for more than a moment, it was revealed to be flickering flames. He pawed at the ground with a hoof, smirking widely.

"Is this where the others are?" He asked, looking back at Hawkeye, whom had followed him into the room. "Hope I didn't torch anyone too bad..."

Looking around the room, he spotted the scarecrow thing Bao had constructed, and, letting out a startled snort, emitted a burst of fire it the direction of the creepy construct.

"Christ, what was that?"

Edward's screams of Mustang's name dissolved into frantic sobs.

((my god this post is crap.))

Last edited:
Nia tried to put a comforting paw on Edward's arm, or at least prod him out of his flailing, but she was afraid that he was going crazy. He looked like he was hurting himself, or like he was going to, and that he might hurt anyone who got too close. She poked him again.

"Edward...? Please don't..."

Don't what? Nia didn't know the right words. Don't do that, she wanted to say, but she shrank away from him.

Bao, completely unbothered by Havoc's military-buttskirt-cape or Edward's screams, merely... brightened? "Oh!" he said. "You're the subordinates of the Hero of Ishbal, the Flame Alchemist! I've heard of him, even in Xing. Prince Wei and I were always fascinated by the stories of his powers, as well as the Red Lotus Alchemist's. Is that..." Bao waved a hand in the direction of the burning table behind Havoc (with the hand holding the gun, which made him jump a bit).

Havoc's mouth was grim line (+ cigarette). When the flaming satyr walked in, Havoc just pointed a thumb in his direction. "Ray Hawkfell, who's good at not roasting people by virtue of not hitting anyone at all" he said, just in time for the man to roast Bao's precious prince.

Bao didn't seem to mind; he just watched the scarecrow burn, somewhat fascinated by the flames. "And whole city blocks would burn like this? Amazing. Marginally less impressive when it's not set off by snapping your fingers"--here Bao tried snapping, but didn't quite manage to get any sound--"but at least a flamethrower would work in the rain."

Although the others managed to just look extremely uncomfortable or fairly grim, Hawkeye took in Edward's screams with increasing amounts of horror. It was obvious that she was tense already, possibly because of Edward's previous screams and because Ray's appearance was just cruel, but when Edward dissolved into tears... well, it was a good thing she was trained enough to keep her finger outside of the trigger guard, because it would definitely have gone off otherwise.

"Edward?" she asked, quietly. Then, louder, although it was obvious she knew the answer: "Edward? What happened to the Colonel?"

Almost...!

Fang continued to strain against the bindings on his wrists, muscles aching as he tried to break free of the bonding metal. He closes his eyes and lets out a annoyed hiss through his fangs.

How am I getting out of these?!

Well...I guess this is a good time as any. You are going to feel a rush of power in your arms in a moment. That will be my strength...it will aid you in breaking these measly metal bindings.

Fang starts to ask what the voice meant when the sudden rush of adrenalin shoots through his body and centers on his arms. He lets out another strained hiss as his muscles work harder in breaking the metal, a eerie calm coming to his mind.

This is just too fucking weird...

Once he heard the sound of twisting metal, his face breaks into a wicked grin. But since he was still wearing the muzzle, no one would see the grin on his smug face. He starts to twist his body to the left, attempting to lift his right arm out of it's locked position. After moments of trials and failures, his arm finally wrenches free from the metal cuff. She then proceeds to do the same to his left side, finding it a bit easier after figuring out the weak point of the metal.

With his hands unbound, he shifts his body until his hands were before him. He glances down at his hands and studies the tattoos on his wrists, each a partials of a more complex circle. He lets out a soft chuckle as he presses his wrists together, a faint blue light ebbing from the connection. He then places his hands on the strap over his waist and starts to shape and hold the metal into smaller, denser bobbles that could be worn. He then bends himself down and starts to make quick work of the bindings on his legs, finally freeing himself of his up-right position.

Trouble was, he was bending when gravity kicked in.

Fang quickly topples to the floor and slams his head onto the unforgiving ground. After watching a few yellow birdies flying over head, he slowly sits up and holds his head, rubbing the lump that will grow soon.

Graceful. Quite graceful, Danny.

Fang growls a little and removes the muzzle from him face, rubbing his jaw and wiping moisture from his face. He glances over at the others and notices that the shell-woman has wondered over to Edward, asking about some Colonel. Fang slowly picks himself up, hoping that he didn't forget how to walk from that clumsy topple to the ground and gets a better look at the sobbing boy.

"...Edward. You need to chill a bit. We should get out of here before others come...And, we need to break these wooden things on the others and the hand-cuffs on you..."

You'll have to carry him...he can't walk...

Yeah yeah, I know...

Edward looked up at Riza, his gold eyes willed with tears and rimmed with red. He looked tired, and his pupils were slitted. His body shook with hiccups, and his ears were still pressed back. He made a soft whining sound.

"They killed him they think we did something bad and they killed him, he's dead, dead, dead deadeadead..." The feline whimpered, yanking at the cuffs again, ignoring Fang and Nia completely, eyes locked right on Riza.

He let out a wail before hanging his head, his bangs covering his face, and continued to sob.

((Bleh. Bad post but I'm about to go to bed D: ))

More people. More. And that crying was certainly getting annoying. Gretchen snorted, her ears flattened. My God...

"Tell me about it-"
The voice cut off as she heard the man bound to metal escaping. "Well if he can get out, we certainly can."

What makes you say that? I'm not exactly too...strong, in my arms...

"Just follow my lead, alright? Quit complaining. Hook your restraint around the bedpost and I'll do the rest."

Alright...? Gretchen did as instructed, then suddenly found herself pulling harder than she normally could. And the thing about it was that it was beyond her control, which freaked her out.

Fang crosses him arms and started to fairly annoyed that the kid wasn't paying atttention to what he was say, then quickly moves his arms away from each other with a pained whimper. He looks down at his arms and is met with welts about the size of softballs lining the inside of his arms.

Hmm...that is to be expected since you're not me...but at least you were able to get out of there, Danny

"Yeah yeah. I'm just going to look like someone took a baseball bat to me for a few days. Just perfect. Could have told me I was going to have these..."

Well...it was a theory, but I couldn't know if it would happen or not unless you tried.

Fang just grumbles and turns his back to Edward to face the others that were locked up. He noticed that one of them was trying to free themselves and decided to leave her be for the moment. He glanced around at the others restrained and spotted the girl from before that was hidding behind him and the bee-boy. He walks over to her bed and rests a hand on her restrained, cautious with his actions.

Never know what a scared Chimera could do.

"Would you like a hand breaking this...?"

"You're lying," Hawkeye said. "It can't be... it can't be..."

Nia looked away from her, not wanting to see it. She noticed that Ray was staring at Hawkeye, eyes glowing red. "Help, Eyebrows," he hissed.

Hawkeye whipped around to him. "Don't!"

Ray stepped back, hands raised in surrender. "Hey, making you sleep before you went crazy wasn't a bad idea."

"Sleep, huh?"

"Kh!" Hawkeye whipped around to the lab, raising her gun, but a blur shot just past her outstretched gun and there was rather suddenly a man injecting something into her neck. He pushed her arm down so her gun wasn't likely to hurt anyone.

Then he shoved her backward, and her lack of balance plus the weight on her back pulled her down.

Breda and Ray pointed their guns at him, while Feury and Havoc pointed theirs down the hall. (Falman didn't have one, but he didn't look like he could even hold it.)

"Not a bad idea," the voice continued, and a brown-haired man in a lab coat walked in. He seemed completely at ease with being at gunpoint.

Nia didn't find him quite as interesting at the person with a syringe. Or rather, another chimera. He had a long face with grey stubble, round ears sticking out the side of his head, a black mane, and hair down the back of his arms and hands. A tail that ended in a four-pointed star stuck out of his pants.

The lab-coat-man glanced into the chimera's cell, noticing how Fang had broken free of his restraints. He didn't really care about Fang, instead just looking at Edward.

"Edna," he said. "Hey! Forced takeover, come on - his emotions make it easier."

Bao cleaned the sword of blood on his pants. "Hello, Doctor Wilson and Mister Hall."

The chimera glanced at him. "Bao. You killed Cox, so you think these guys are going to escape."

Bao grinned. "Yes, I have no doubt."

"And you've got at least two bullets left."

"Yes."

"But most importantly, they have fire."

"Yes."

"So, where's your prince now?"

Bao pointed at Feury.

((Fail since I was at a convention, and officially have no idea what's going on now. And my feet huuuuurt. D: *falls over*))

Karae couldn't help it. She had been taken off the street, turned into a chimera, stuffed into a cell, broken out of said cell, been shot, been hit by alchemy twice, been tranquilized and was now restrained in another cell while watching chaos erupt around her. She was old enough to not cry piteously - it only helped when begging, and if she could manage to cry without going red in the face and looking rather disgusting. Rather than crying, she sagged and half-closed her eyes, wishing desperately that this would all stop. Screaming and shots and blasts of heat... The scene swam and turned into a whirl of colour and sound that made no sense. Chaos that she couldn't begin to understand.

She tried to avoid thinking of the carnage, or the voice she had heard, or... anything, really. Sleeping, oblivion... Yes, it would be better to simply sleep and forget everything it. Distantly, she felt her wings flutter and heard footsteps, soft but close enough that she heard them clearly.

"Would you like a hand breaking this...?" The voice made her open her eyes and look. The dog-thing, the one with spikes... the chimera she had been hiding behind was standing there, apparently free of his restraints and with a hand on her own shackles. She didn't have the energy to flinch, or say anything. She simply nodded mutely and waited for him to free her. She was such a burden... Baggage, useless, a failure. She was relying on others to help her all the time...

That voice had said something about power. When would she receive that?

Fang nods back at the girl, studying the wings on her head. He faintly wonders what she was mixed with before pushing it aside and begins to work on the wooden shackles. He quickly found that he was stronger than he ever was as a human, finding it easier to break the wooden shackles with clear ease. After tossing the broken wood to the side, her hold out his hand to the girl and gives her a friendly smile.

He flinches a bit as his arms remind him of the throbbing pain in his arms. He shakes his head a bit and continues to hold his hand out to the girl.

"Like a hand there, missy?"

Fang then heard the thump behind him and glanced at the new two arrivals. One was a scientist of sorts and the other was a chimera holding a needle. He watches the two cautiously before looking back at the girl.

Karae watched in awe and fear as the chimera broke her wooden shackles with ease. He was so strong... How come she had none of that strength? Rubbing her wrists, she tried to make sense of what was going on in the room, but had about as much success as before. Resolving to ignore it, she took his outstretched hand and got up, leaning heavily on him once she was standing. As soon as she realized that she was doing so, she flinched away.

"I-I'm sorry." she stammered, afraid partially of his appearance and his strength, and also of his thinking that she was weak. Well, she was, but she would get stronger. She had to! Needing something to say, she continued inanely, "My name is Karae. I'm sorry. I'm being a burden to you."

When the took took his hand and helped herself up, resting against his side, he smiled a little. When he felt her flinch away from him, he wrapped his arm around her waist and held her in place, in case she was going to fall or not. He leans down a bit to see the girl face to face, studying her eyes silently.

"Hello Karae. You can call me Fang, Sweet-thing"

He chuckles a little, looking back at the scene before him.

"...Don't worry too much about things. I'm not going to Bite ya, Sweet-thing"

Smooth. Really, Danny.

Oh shush Halan.

Back
Top Bottom