• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The Chrome OS

Solstice

Back from the dead.
It's almost here...

June 15th, the Chrome Operating System is supposed to be released.

It supposedly works on the Cloud, with your settings and files being able to be stored online. You can then go to any other 'Chromebook', sign in with your Google Account, and access your things from anywhere. I also got from it that you can likely sign into Google Chrome on a PC, Mac, or Linux computer and access your Extensions and Bookmarks.

It literally takes 8 seconds to boot, plus the time to log in, before you're surfing the web, due to the fact that there is literally no desktop, and no pop-ups stating you need to update- it happens automatically.

One of my favorite features is that it claims you need no AntiVirus software, as it runs each tab separate from the other, even though they are in the same browser window. Tabs are run in the 'Sandbox', where a malicious site can't affect your Chromebook in any way, as it is secluded from the rest of the system.

My other favorite feature... It can be 'jailbroken' right out of the box, so people can tinker with it. This lets the device truly be yours.

Finally (not really, there's much more on the 'Learn More' page), the system checks itself at boot, making sure everything vital is proper. If a vital system file is corrupt, for any reason, it automatically restores from a 'healthy' backup. If none are available, you can download one from the Cloud.

You can find the page here.

You can find the video here.

Is anyone planning on getting this? I would, but I can't afford it (I know I can't even if I don't know the price).

It sounds pretty well done but since I like my legacy PC software, there's really no reason for me to get it.

Hmm...

I still can't as my laptop extremely old (likely can't support it), bluescreens somewhere after the desktop starts, and I can't repair it anytime soon without my installation disk.

One of my favorite features is that it claims you need no AntiVirus software, as it runs each tab separate from the other, even though they are in the same browser window. Tabs are run in the 'Sandbox', where a malicious site can't affect your Chromebook in any way, as it is secluded from the rest of the system.

My other favorite feature... It can be 'jailbroken' right out of the box, so people can tinker with it. This lets the device truly be yours.

Welcome to the world of Linux, where there is no such thing as a virus or 'jailbreaking'. Everything is open-source, and nobody writes viruses for Linux.

Is anyone planning on getting this? I would, but I can't afford it (I know I can't even if I don't know the price)

Part of the open-source world is the pricetag of "free". If you can't afford "free", there is something amiss.

I still can't as my laptop extremely old (likely can't support it), bluescreens somewhere after the desktop starts, and I can't repair it anytime soon without my installation disk.

"BSoD" is a Windows problem; this would become irrelevant should Windows actually cease to exist on your machine.

Last edited:
Responses in bold.

Fluttershy ♥;494974 said:
Welcome to the world of Linux, where there is no such thing as a virus or 'jailbreaking'. Everything is open-source, and nobody writes viruses for Linux. Untrue. And jailbreaking is modifying a device, ie. Linux, Chrome OS, iOS, etc. Hell, even the PS3 can jailbroken. Despite iOS and the PS3 not being open-source, this truly makes it open source for Linux and Chrome OS users.

Part of the open-source world is the pricetag of "free". If you can't afford "free", there is something amiss. Chromebooks. Also, look at my next comment.

"BSoD" is a Windows problem; this would become irrelevant should Windows actually cease to exist on your machine. Very relevant, as I can barely get on the Internet without it crashing. I probably can't install it from a disk as my disk drive is broken, and I have no other way to install it from a Floppy Disk. If I can't even access the system, I can't install it.

And this laptop was ready to be thrown out. I made no modifications to it or anything of the like. There are no viruses, I used to check regularly with multiple Antivirus.

Untrue. And jailbreaking is modifying a device, ie. Linux, Chrome OS, iOS, etc. Hell, even the PS3 can jailbroken. Despite iOS and the PS3 not being open-source, this truly makes it open source for Linux and Chrome OS users.

"Computer software privilege escalation, a jargon expression for (the act of) overcoming limitations in a computer system or device that were deliberately placed there for security, administrative, or marketing reasons; also the description and set of technical instructions necessary to achieve a specific jailbreak or a software item designed to achieve a jailbreak."

No, it is not jailbreaking. Open-source software is created so people can freely modify and improve it, and reuse the source to create new software.

Chromebooks.

Er, you're paying for the hardware there. Totally different.

Very relevant, as I can barely get on the Internet without it crashing. I probably can't install it from a disk as my disk drive is broken, and I have no other way to install it from a Floppy Disk. If I can't even access the system, I can't install it.

Make a bootable USB device.

I just don't get this. Why would you want an OS that can do literally nothing but browse the internet? It mystifies me.

I kind of don't want my OS to be a glorified web browser. :<

Also hugeass icons, what is up with user interfaces these days having hugeass icons.

It's a smooth, light little OS hat is ridiculously fast and is made for people who use Web 2.0 software and nothing else. Haven't you guys seen one of their tech demos? You know, the ones where they talk about how it boots in 7 seconds and how you can use it to read Alice in Wonderland to your kids.

It's a smooth, light little OS hat is ridiculously fast and is made for people who use Web 2.0 software and nothing else. Haven't you guys seen one of their tech demos? You know, the ones where they talk about how it boots in 7 seconds and how you can use it to read Alice in Wonderland to your kids.

But can it fit in a manila envelope?

My computer already boots in a few seconds. SSD. But seriously I don't get it. I already have firefox on my computer and I can browse the internet and still do any of the billion other things that a computer is supposed to do. Why would anyone want a computer that literally cannot do anything other than browse the internet?

But can it fit in a manilla envelope?

i love you

Last edited:
I agree with the others here. Open sourse or not open souse, why would I want an OS that only surfs the web? I enjoy my games and my hobby requires a computer and certain programs. It mystfys me that Google can even call this an OS.

Because it's intended for netbooks, which a lot of people use only for using the net. If you use a netbook as your primary gaming platform or production machine, well.

Fluttershy ♥;495081 said:
Because it's intended for netbooks, which a lot of people use only for using the net. If you use a netbook as your primary gaming platform or production machine, well.

Yeah, I get what you're saying. But still, why would you want to limit yourself? Is a faster startup really worth losing 99.9% of the functionality of your computer?

Yeah, I get what you're saying. But still, why would you want to limit yourself? Is a faster startup really worth losing 99.9% of the functionality of your computer?

Stability and less resource consumption are far more attractive to me. I'm not certain I'll actually put it on my netbook, but I'm considering it.

Fluttershy ♥;495084 said:
Stability and less resource consumption are far more attractive to me. I'm not certain I'll actually put it on my netbook, but I'm considering it.

I could understand dualbooting it, but I would never want it as my sole OS. All those resources you're conserving aren't going to do you any good if you can't actually use them.

I have to nitpick here. In the GNU/Linux (or "Linux") world, "free" refers to these four freedoms and not to pricetags. One of these freedoms involves distribution, including at a cost.

But I'm with the people who don't see the point. I like computers that can compute. I trust my own home infrastructure much more than that of some amorphous "cloud."

Back
Top Bottom