• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The CoD Monotype Challenge

Re: The TCoD Monotype Challenge

~LeafGreen Ground type mono~
Brock is defeated!

So I beat Brock and his rock types with my trusty Charmander. I plan on exporting him to Diamond, and he's the only starter I need. I also wanted a challenge, but Metal claw isn't exactly challenging. D:

On the way to Route 3's grass, Charmander evolved into Charmeleon. But who cares? I caught a Nidoran♀. :3
She's named after a mother who poisoned her children with her husband. They later poisoned themselves. Fitting isn't it?

Team:

029nidoranf.png

Magda G.
Quiet nature
Poison Point
-------
Growl
Scratch

I think I'm going to do this as a Water Type challenge on Sapphire.
Possible Team:
Swampert
Pellipper
Tentacruel
Azumarrill
Wailord
Ludicolo

Last edited:

I never did finish my Flying monotype on R/S. Mightaswell start again.

Proposed team:
Pelipper
Altaria
Swellow
Xatu
Skarmory
Tropius

Oh, yeah, I remember this X3. I kept overleveling my pokemon.

[Vs. Roxanne, Lvl 12 14 Wingull. Lvl 13 Taillow.]
[Vs. Brawly, Lvl 15 Wingull. Lvl 18 Taillow.]

Last edited:

I will do a Water Type Challenge of Sapphire
Team:(Before evolution)
Mudkip (Kippy)
Wingull (WaterWings)
Chinchou (Aqua Spark)
Carvanha
Spheal
Lotad (Lillie)

Last edited:

Yess! Watson beat, lvl 29 Swellow and 30 Pelipper.

~LeafGreen Ground type mono~
Rival crushed on Nugget Bridge!

So between the updates, I managed to get Magda G. to evolve, catch a Geodude, and snatch a Sanshrew.

I named the Geodude after the dungeon creator Brick Road from Earthbound. :3
Sanshrew is pretty easy to spot. Digdug. No particular reason for no space however.

So anyway, after trying to train my good ole Magda up to beat that dreaded Starmie of Misty's, I fought my Rival. Unfortunately, the only battle Magda got experience from was the Squirtle. Brick Road annihilated the competition. Pidgeotto? Crushed. Abra? Squashed. Rattata? Magnitude 10'd.

But this entry is a two for one special! =D

Misty crushed by Ground enthusiast!

So what if a Nidorina is only Poison and that's who I beat her with. D:

Anywho, Staryu was incredibly easy with Bite on my side. Harden didn't protect it THEN! HAHA...ha..ho..hur
Starmie was a challenge. Even with Bite. VICIOUS WATER PULSE. It almost killed me in two hits, as with my bite. I won by a measly 12 hit points, and I was confused. ._.
Regardless, I WON. :3
----------
Party:

027sandshrew.png

Digdug
Level 9 (XD)
Bold nature (+Defense -Attack D:)
Sand Veil
--------
Scratch
Defense curl

074geodude.png

Brick Road
Level 18
Quirky nature (All around)
Sturdy (Well that's crap. D:)
--------
Tackle
Defense curl
Magnitude
Rock throw

030nidorina.png

Magda G.
Level 23 (AAAH. Overlevel. ;;)
Quiet nature (+Sp.Attack -Speed)
Poison Point
--------
Poison Sting
Scratch
Bite
Double Kick
~~~~~~~~~

Hmm, I think I'll go with a mixed sweeper on my Nido. Beam Bolt Sludge Bomb, EQ. Yes? No? Feedback please.

If I do a Dunsparce-only run of Sapphire, does that count as monotype? (As in, just one Dunsparce. Obviously I need to hack it in.)

EDIT: "No cheating allowed". Never mind.

I only just found my Sapphire, and my team is:
WaterWings (Wingull) Level 14
Lillie (Lombre) Level 14
Kippy (Mudkip) Level 15
RedBeam (Tentacool) Level 9 (Randomly found while using an Old Rod. Not being used on Team)
Hm Slave (Zigzagoon) Level 6 (I'm using her for Cut!)

About to go into Dewford Gym.

Last edited:

Started a water team on emerald

So far:

Kip (Mudkip)
Maria (Marill)
Lily (Lotad)
Harry (Wingull) (stuck for a name)
Ziggy (Zigzagoon) Pickup and temporary HM slave
Will swap most of these out for others later

Possible team

Swapert
Golduck
Sharpedo/Gyarados
Starmie/Lanturn
Kingdra
???

Feedback would be appreciated

Edit: can I trade TM's off the game for items of equal (or near) value, which can then be sold for money and used to buy coins for game corner TM's

Last edited:
I think even if Starmie has better stats, you might want to go with Lanturn. Just for a change in types. Variation is the key to any success, and Psychic types won't really help you that much. And it would help you on Juan.

As for Gyarados, eh...I'd go with Sharpedo. Even though all of the Dark attacks a special this game, so are the water attacks, and Shapedo has a higher special. You always have Slash and TM moves for physical. I think this would be obvious, but don't use Skull Bash.

I know I want feedback, but nobody's given it to me yet, so it's just my thoughts on things.

Go with Starmie. It has far better Sp. Attack and Speed, can learn Thunderbolt and Ice Beam just like Lanturn, and learns more useful moves. (Confuse Ray, Recover, etc.) Keep Sharpedo, and I suggest keeping Lotad. His grass moves will be really useful for the Water/Grounds that Starmie or Lanturn can't KO.

Proto_Fan, the reason you aren't getting feedback is because you're still at a very early stage in the game; at Cerulean, there isn't much to rate. That said, you might want to think about going for Nidoking over 'Queen, considering his better offensive stats and Megahorn.
Moving on...
Huzzah! My team has just conquered Gary and the Elite Four! Only Lorelei's Lapras, Agatha's Gengar, and Rival's Alakazam really posed much of a threat. I'm now catching new pokemon for my team; I've decided to box Venusaur in favor of Muk and Crobat.
Team
(m)TentacruelVitreous, Lv. 60
Surf
Ice Beam
Barrier
Supersonic
He was extremely useful against Lance and my rival.
(m)NidokingLuxembourg, Lv. 60
Earthquake
Brick Break
shadow Ball
Flamethrower
(f)HaunterTasha, Lv. 59
Hypnosis
Giga Drain
Thunderbolt
Dream Eater
(m)VictreebelDagger, Lv. 59
Razor Leaf
Acid
Return
Sleep Powder
(f)GolbatSha, Lv. 46, Naive
Air Cutter
Wing Attack
Confuse Ray
Mean Look
*In training*
(m)GrimerXios, Lv. 38, Quiet
Minimize
Sludge
Screech
Disable
*In training*

What would the hardest monotype for FireRed be?
I love a challenge. :3

EDIT::
Oh, and if you really want a challenge, try and defeat every NPC in the game. For anything but FRLG you could do some goal at the Battle Tower.

Bah hah. If you want a challenge, I would suggest using the electric type... since, you'll be stuck with Pikachu for a while *eye twitch* and, your options are as limited as they're going to get without bending the rules of the challenge.

Okay! So, I started this, with my friend... ;D And, well... Yes, I chose the electric type. Since I'm a baby, I chose charmander so my rival would pick Squirtle. Yeah, I'm lame, but, as if this isn't hard enough.

I got my Pikachu (MisfitLove) on my first pokemon encounter, oh yes... and, well, anyway... I trained her... only to figure out that Brock wasn't even going to be remotely possible to beat unless I was level twenty and had the 80 attack power of Slam.

So, I beat him... after logging four hours into my data for training in Viridian Forest... o_e Now, I'm in Mt. Moon, and my team... er.... Pikachu is...

Pikachu
Peekachew: (MisfitLove)
Level 22 -_-
Timid Nature
Thundershock
Slam
Double Team
Thunderwave

Last edited:
Well, I'm currently running a water-only run of FireRed. [With, a female trainer. Even though I'm a guy. It's a long story.]
Incidentally, Dog Man Star and I are the two who started this together. Yes, I get to hear her annoyed grunts when her pikachu fails.

At the moment, I've just, in game-time, left Pewter Town with the Boulderbadge, about an hour and ten minutes in (my DS is red-lighting, otherwise I'd be playing more)... though it's not like I expected it to be hard or anything.

At the moment, my team consists entirely of...

Wartortle
Nickname: Nagisa
Timid nature, male, lv. 17
-Water Gun
-Tackle
-Bubble
-Withdraw

And it looks like he'll be the only one I'll HAVE for a while.

---

My EVENTUAL team will consist of...
-Blastoise
-Kingler
-Kabutops
-Dewgong
-Lapras
-Vaporeon

Though it may change...
Ah, well.

HOORAH.
-marches off-

SON OF A GUN.
My monotype's gone! >_<
Hmm. Maybe a Emerald Poison mono? Eh, sure, why not?

Last edited:
Well, I've decided to legitimately obtain the starters and legendaries from RSEFRLG, so I'm going to go through each of them three times, using Emerald and FireRed. It would probably be boring to do the exact same thing three times, so I'm going to do a different monotype for each go-through.
Still undecided on which types, but they'll be different. :D

i started a fire type mono on pokemon crystal
i'm training up to beat morty atm
my team so far is
typhlosion (f) lv36
eevee (f) lv25
growlithe (m) lv25
magby (f) lv15

my planned team is:
typhlosion, flareon, arcanine, magmar, rapidash and houndoom
if i can get ho-oh in crystal (which is harder than gs :I) i'll ditch magmar

I just beat the E4 with, what I consider to be, an under leveled team. I'm about to challenge the first gym in Kanto.
Flareon
Flare Lv.39

growlithe
Ares Lv.38

magmar
Magnol Lv. 38

charizard
Lizzie Lv.43

typhlosion
Ty Lv.44

I was going to get a Ponyta, but I could not find one. I'm tempted to go find one and raise it, but part of me just wants to wait until I get Houndoom. Or maybe I'll just get both...

I'm going to do this on my old Silver version. Any suggestions?

Oh, and is it alright if you get a Pokémon which is not actually the type you're using but eventually evolves into something of that type? For example, if you were doing an ice type one, could you use Seel but try to evolve it into a Dewgong as soon as possible?

Back
Top Bottom