• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The CoD Monotype Challenge

My old Ground monotype failed to beat the Emerald E4 (damned Wallace) so I quit it and started something else. And then a few months back I went "Hey I should try the Ground mono again :D" so I did. Same Pokémon and everything.

Aaaaand I just beat Wallace. Cheap Selfdestructs ftw!

flygon
Desertsong
Female, level 51
Earthquake
Fly
Crunch
Dragonbreath

swampert
Tidal Wave
Male, level 54
Earthquake
Surf
Dive
Waterfall

claydol
Oracle
Genderless, level 48
Shadow Ball
Psybeam
Ice Beam
Selfdestruct

golem
Rollerer
Female, level 48
Selfdestruct
Strength
Earthquake
Rock Smash

sandslash
Sandclaw
Female, level 47
Dig
Slash
Swift
Sandstorm

camerupt
Fireball
Male, level 49
Earthquake
Magnitude
Overheat
Rock Slide

Now off to do... something. Dunno whether I have the patience to train for Steven.

I can't believe I haven't thought of this myself. I'll do it! Normal on Silver, yes.

Proposed team:

TEAM VANILLA

Rattata. Sentret better. Can cut.

Pidgey.

Miltank.

Girafarig.

A HM slave. Probably a Tentacool or something. Can't learn waterfall. Poliwag? Poliwag is good. Let's go with that.

That still leaves one, and I can't think of anything in particular that would be good. You get an Eevee from Bill in Silver. Next to useless unless evolved, but christ, it's :love:Eevee:love:

Thoughts on all this? Suggestions?

Also, do I need something that can use flash? Was so long since I played Silver, but aren't all the dark caves in that game optional?

Ah, Meowth. Good idea. Thanks.

But why Tauros? I've already got a Miltank, and they're almost the same. I was thinking of teaching Miltank something like Fire Punch, Surf, Defense Curl and Rollout. Rollout is ludicrously good, and Tauros can't get it.

Kangaskhan is unfortunately pretty much out of the question, since you can only get it about halfway through Kanto, and I hate to start replacing things at that point.

So! I just beat Steven.

Without having trained at all from my E4 challenge.

His lowest-level Pokémon is 76, I believe.

I wouldn't have won if it weren't for my Flygon's Quick Claw kicking in twice in a row, or his Metagross missing twice in a row with Meteor Mash, or the fact that Cradily ran out of PP for everything but Ingrain.

My team has not changed any from my previous post except for a few levels: Sandslash has upped a level to 48 and Swampert has upped a level to 55.

TEAM VANILLA
Currently consists of:

GS_Gold.png

Commander Shepard
Money: 6338
Play time: 3 hours 38 minutes.
Two badges.

Spr_2c_162.gif

Ashley
Female, level 18
Quick Attack
Defense Curl
Tackle
Fury Swipes

Evolved after Hiker Anthony, Route 33.

Spr_2s_017.png

Garrus
Male, level 18
Gust
Mud Slap
Tackle
Quick Attack

Evolved after Bugsy.

Bugsy and rival defeated.

Falkner was predictably easy. Tackle. Tackle. Tack-- you get the idea.

And do you know what happens when you let a frenzied Pidgey loose in Azalea Town's gym? Carnage. Carnage happens. (Although I did let my Furret beat down a few of the lesser trainers, so they stayed at roughly the same level.)

The rival, whom I named "Saren", stop looking at me like that, was surprisingly easy. Gastly died in two mud slaps (haha, no levitate for you in gen. 2). Zubat died in two quick attacks. Bayleef died four quick attacks from my Furret, one of which was a critical hit. And if Bayleef had taken down Furret, my recently evolved Pidgeotto would have been happy to teach it a lesson.

Funnily enough, my hardest fight battle of attrition was against the hiker just outside Union Cave. It went something like:

Defense Curl. Defense Curl. Defense Curl. Potion. Defense Curl. Defense Curl. Defense Curl. Potion. Quick Attack. Quick Attack. Quick Attack. Quick Attack. Potion. Quick Attack. (Out of PP for Quick Attack.) Tackle. Tackle. Potion. Tackle. Tackle. Geodude down. Switch to Pidgey. Gust. Gust. Machop down.

And then after the battle was won, a little voice in the back of my head said:
"Why didn't you just use Mud Slap?" Durr.
(Although on reflection, maybe it was a good thing I didn't. Geodude could quite possibly have oneshot Pidgey with a Rock Throw. And then Machop would have murdered Sentret.)

RunsWithScizor's
Poison Mono-type Run*
featured on Pokémon Fire Red

Trainer: Io (#64305)
Shinies: 3
Loot: 56,224
Time: 6 hrs, 27 min
Parked: Vermillion City Pokémon Center

Zubat
Zelda, Lv.21
Bite ~ Leech Life ~ Wing Attack ~ Supersonic
Nidoranm
Nero, Lv.21
Horn Attack ~ Leer ~ Poison Sting ~ Double Kick
Nidoranf
Doreen, Lv.21
Bite ~ Growl ~ Poison Sting ~ Double Kick
Ekans
Ekaterina, Lv.22
Bite ~ Leer ~ Poison Sting ~ Glare
Oddish
Otis, Lv.22
Absorb ~ Stun Spore ~ PoisonPowder ~ Sleep Powder
Bulbasaur
Bubba, Lv.23
Tackle ~ Leech Seed ~ Razor Leaf ~ Sleep Powder
*Unevolved for as long as possible

This is more an update just for the sake of letting people know I'm alive. You know how life gets in the way.​

This isn't a monotype per se, but it does fall into the "make the game harder for yourself by restricting what Pokémon you can use" category so I figured I'd post it here in lieu of a better place to post it. :V

The challenge I'm undertaking is an attempt to beat the game with a team consisting entirely of six of the seven Eeveelutions.

I do believe the six I'll be using are Vaporeon, Flareon, Jolteon, Espeon, Umbreon and Leafeon. I'm excluding Glaceon because a. it's one of the worse Eeveelutions, b. its evolution comes latest in the game, and c. Vaporeon can use Ice moves perfectly well. I know Flareon isn't very good either, but it gets Fire moves, something none of the others do (with the exception of Hidden Power, but I don't know what HPs the others will get), even if it doesn't get a great physical one. But it gets Flamethrower and has a fairly good special attack stat, so. :V

No progress so far, because I've only just finished trading six Eevee eggs from Platinum to Diamond. I only have seven Pokémon in Diamond now: six eggs and a Slugma to save time hatching them.

This should be fun!

Is it even possible to do an ice mono in d/p/pt? it seems you don't have access to any ice-types until route 216.

I don't think you could do one on D/P - not enough ice-types - but Platinum might work, if one were to want to go through six gyms with non-ice Pokémon. It probably would require eggs to make it feasible.

d/p has plenty enough ice-types: snorunt's line, snover, sneasel. since snorunt has two distinct evolutions, that makes four, which is just enough before hm slaves.

d/p has plenty enough ice-types: snorunt's line, snover, sneasel. since snorunt has two distinct evolutions, that makes four, which is just enough before hm slaves.

The first post rules out any types which don't have enough Pokémon for monos. That's not to say you can't do one anyway, but meh.

Platinum has Swinub, Snorunt, Sneasel and Glaceon - five, still not quite enough for a full six-team. :/

Snorunt's line isn't available in D/P until after you defeat the Elite Four and obtain the PokéRadar.

hm, you're right. that sucks.

The first post rules out any types which don't have enough Pokémon for monos. That's not to say you can't do one anyway, but meh.

Platinum has Swinub, Snorunt, Sneasel and Glaceon - five, still not quite enough for a full six-team. :/

it's generally impossible to get through the game with pokemon of exactly one type unless that type is water, flying, or normal, because you need something to use those hm's. those four have enough dual-types or weirdness to have something to use each hm. (and normal, in previous generations, had to use azurill.)

it's generally impossible to get through the game with pokemon of exactly one type unless that type is water, flying, or normal, because you need something to use those hm's. those four have enough dual-types or weirdness to have something to use each hm. (and normal, in previous generations, had to use azurill.)

True, but I meant if someone wanted to use a six-Pokémon team consisting of the relevant type and then have HM slaves/the like separate. My ground monotype in Emerald had every HM except Cut and Flash somewhere on it - I taught Cut to a Nincada (which is actually still ground-type, but I didn't use it for anything except Cut) and didn't need to use Flash. :/

And I forgot about Snover in my last post. I guess a Platinum Ice run is possible - difficult, but possible.

Currently I'm doing a Water monotype on Sapphire; my team consists of Swampert, Ludicolo, Pelipper, Gyarados, and Sealeo (soon to be evolved). I can't wait until I get Kyogre.

Back
Top Bottom