• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The CoD Monotype Challenge

I'm doing a Poison-type mono in SoulSilver. The challenge is complete with the capture/defeat of Mewtwo and Rayquaza, as well as the defeat of Red. I'm only going to have Kyogre in the game for about two minutes so I can get Rayquaza, so I should be fine.

Pokemon so far:
Ekans/Level 13/Female
Beedrill/Level 11/Male
Gastly/Level 10/Male
Zubat/ Level 8/Male
Bellsprout/Level 6/Female

I'm doing great so far! Five differently typed Poison-type Pokemon! And I've only beaten one Gym! Woot!
(How do you get the pictures of the Pokemon? I can't seem to find out how.)

I got bored and restarted SoulSilver (after trading anything valuable to HeartGold via GTS... oh boy, that was fun.), and I decided to do a Grass-mono. My character's name means "child of the forest" or something, according to one of my ancient notebooks.

Name: Moriko
Platyime: 2:30
Badges: 1
Team:

Chikorita (M)
Lv. 14, Quiet Nature
Tackle, Synthesis, Razor Leaf, Poisonpowder

Bellsprout (M)
Lv. 15, Bashful Nature
Vine Whip, Growth, Wrap, Sleep Powder

Hoppip (M)
Lv. 15, Lonely Nature
Poisonpowder, Synthesis, Stun Spore, Bullet Seed

I was going to nickname them, but I forgot and just decided not to bother since I fail at names (I'm doing a challenge in Ruby, inspired by forum member Alraune, and all my nicknames in that fail). So let's see... Started with Chikorita, trained Bellsprout in Dark Cave till about level 8, caught Hoppip, trained it in the Sprout Tower which was a piece of cake (barring Hoothoot's hypnosis). Falkner's flunkies were a breeze, but Falkner's Pidgeotto was trouble. Took down Hoppip and Bellsprout rather easily. Chikorita practically solo'd it one on one, with much potion usage. Lucky for me, it was stupid and spammed Roost when the only damage it had was end of the round poison, which allowed for neutral damage Razor Leafs, eventually ending it. I moved along, and saved at the entrance to Union Cave.

By the way, Mr. Dude, you get the sprites like this:

[.sprite=(game version here) ] Pokemon's Name [./sprite]

So like... [.sprite=dp] Chikorita [./sprite] turns into a Chikorita sprite from Diamond/Pearl version. Just take out the periods. There's a thread somewhere in the forum help boards, I think, that tells you the details.

Once I trade my Cyndaquil, Butterfree and soon-to-be Hoppip over to Soul Silver, I'll do a Water mono on my Heart Gold.

Beginning a water type mono on my Emerald version.

My starting team:

Mudkip
Wingull
Lotad

The obvious choices, I'll be coming back for Tentacool and Wailmer once I get the rods. I'll catch better Pokemon once I get Surf or the Super Rod, can't remember which comes first.

Well, you can catch Tentacool with the old rod in RSE so there. Surf comes before Super Rod, you get Surf after beating Norman, you get Super Rod in Mossdeep City

Will eventually do a run on Sapphire...

Zaque's monochrome Manassairy!​

264.png

277.png

289.png

295.png

327.png

335.png

Or something like this. In-game dad would be so proud!

Smallish update on my Grass-Mono.

Name: Moriko
Platyime: 10:00 even
Badges: 3
Team:

Chikorita (M)
Lv. 20, Quiet Nature
Headbutt, Synthesis, Magical Leaf, Poisonpowder

Bellsprout(M)
Lv. 19, Bashful Nature
Vine Whip, Growth, Cut, Sleep Powder

Skiploom(M)
Lv. 19, Lonely Nature
Headbutt, Synthesis, Sleep Powder, Bullet Seed

Oddish (F)
Lv. 19, Mild Nature
Absorb, Sleep Powder, Acid, Stun Spore

Oddish (F)
Lv. 19, Serious Nature
Absorb, Sweet Scent, Acid, Stun Spore

Exeggcute (M)
Lv. 19, Relaxed Nature
Bullet Seed, Hypnosis, Reflect, Leech Seed

So I spent a lot of time on this today. Got through Union Cave and Slowpoke's Well. Beat my Rival (named Boris), caught two Oddish in Ilex Forest, trained them a bit, lost to Bugsy's Scyther, trained more, barely beat Bugsy (for the record, so far, this team absolutely sucks against bugs and poison types).

Got through Ilex Forest, explored Goldenrod, crushed Whitney with Chikorita. Moved north and I've been spending the rest of the day doing those annoying Pokethlon challenges. I think I have 6100 points saved up right now. I need 7500 though by Wednesday, which is when they sell Leaf Stones, and I need three; Exeggcute, Bellsprout, and the Serious Oddish. The Mild Oddish will be a Bellossom, hopefully after I win the Bug-Catching thing tomorrow.

So far Chikorita's gotten all the medals, and both Oddish only need the Power medal to have them all. Two Oddish and Skiploom are awesome at the speed course, so I've just been replaying that for points. Took a break and did some other things, might pick this up again later tonight.

Edit: Something in my memory sparked, and I realized (and double checked) that Wednesday is the Water Stone prize, since I recall getting one for my Staryu on my first playthrough of HG. Leaf Stones are given out on Saturday. ......Shit.

Pokemon Emerald Monotype Challenge:

Event: Defeated the first gym leader, Roxanne.

Current Team:

Mudkip
Mudkip
Lvl 14
Tackle, Growl, Mudslap, Water Gun

Lotad
Lotad
Lvl 11
Astonish, Growl, Absorb

Wingull
Wingull
Lvl 10
Water Gun, Growl, Supersonic

Marill
Marill
Lvl 10
Tackle, Defense Curl, Tail Whip, Water Gun

Notes:
Started with a small amount of level grinding, to make all my Pokemon Lvl 10 before the gym. Win was easy. Not EV training, just trying to beat the game. Looking to evolve Mudkip, Lotad and Marill before the next gym.

I will go old school! Fire monotype on Blue version (Missingno is a no no)
My goal pokemon will be Charizard (of course) Arcanine, Ninetales, Moltres, Flareon, and Magmar.

I just realised. Since I play Monos with 2x E4 playthrough, I can use Heatran in the second one...

Empoleon + Steelix + Bastidon + Wormodam + Lucario + Bronzong + Heatran = 7

Well I guess that means I don't have to waste time trying to find Burmy then :)

Pichu Chris' Steeling fame!

Prinplup
"Sandgem" Level 24
Cut - Peck
BubbleBeam - Metal Claw

Steelix
"Quake" Level 22
Rock Smash - Fire Fang
Stealth Rock - Rock Throw

Shieldon
"Siege" Level 21
Rock Tomb - Metal Sound
Take Down - Iron Defense

First battle against Gardinia, I lost to Roserade. I evolved Onix with help from my HG and my mum's DS, and battled Gardinia again, twice. I lost both times. I traded Quake back to HG, taught it Fire Fang, and destroyed Gardinia.

I am now in the Eterna Pokémon Centre, planning my attack on the Galactic Eterna Building. Then I can get the fourth member of my team, Aegis the Bronzor. He'll be the last member of my team until just before Gym 6.

You know you can just go west of Eterna and get a Bronzor in the grass?

Oh, and if you catch a Bronzor there, you can win a Smart Contest with it, provided you combo the moves right.

Pichu Chris' Steeling Fame!

Prinplup
"Sandgem" - Level 27

Steelix
"Quake" - Level 24

Shieldon
"Siege" - Level 24

Bronzor
"Aegis" - Level 23

Traveled from Oreburgh to Veilstone, beat one of the members of the Karate Quad, and realised I was underleveled. When I next go on my DS, I'll be training my entire team to Level 36, then I'll buy TM Thunderbolt at the Game Corner, and then I'll probably teach it to Siege as my Anti-Gyarados manouver. When I get Shadow Ball, I'll teach it to Aegis, and Fantina won't stand a chance!

Time-25:23

Party Pokemon-
 Arbok
Level 56/Female

Beedrill
Level 51/Male

Gengar
Level 50/Male

Crobat
Level 50/Male

Victreebel
Level 47/Female

Tentacruel
Level 43/Male

Box Pokemon-
 Weezing
Level 35/Female

Grimer
Level 30/Female

Vileplume
Level 30/Male

Gloom
Level 30/Female

Oddish
Level 13/Female

HM Slaves-

Poliwag
Level 10/Female (Waterfall, Surf, Whirlpool, and Headbutt)

Sandshrew
Level 16/Male (Rock Smash, Strength, Cut, and soon-to-be Rock Climb)

Spearow
Level 19/Male (Fly; no other moves)

I'm doing good so far, and I've beaten ten Gym leaders so far. I'm saved right in front of Erika and she's about to get her, uh, butt handed to her.

Sigh, my team would get slaughtered by newer versions, I might move to SoulSilver (more multi-type fire), but I still will hunt for the Charizard. (heehee miiiiine)

Back
Top Bottom