• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The 'Dex Registry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Negrek

busy dizzy lazy
Staff member
The region over which the TCoD League presides is a largely unexplored place, spanning primarily tracts of unexplored wilderness. Pokémon from all the known regions roam free here, but rumor has it that there may be others as well--pokémon species totally unknown to the world beyond TCoD territory. If you find such a creature, try to capture it and bring it back to ASB Central for study; once it has been added to the League's Official pokédex, it will be legal for you and anyone else who manages to find one to use in matches.

The 'Dex Registry

If you have an idea for a new pokémon or evolutionary family you'd like to see put into use in the League, fill out all the necessary information here and, if it is approved, you can enjoy the opportunity to battle with or against your own creation.

In order to submit a new pokémon for approval, you must be a member of the ASB and have participated in at least two battles. The first time you have a new evolutionary family approved, you may claim a base form of that evolutionary family for free in the Registration Office, although the pokémon will be sent directly to your PC box rather than your active squad. For each species group you create after the first, you will need to purchase the pokémon just like other members. First, a few ground rules:

1. Submitted pokémon must be of entirely new species, not evolutions, pre-evolutions, or alternate forms of current ones.

2. All attacks, types, abilities, and so on of submitted pokémon must be canonical. That is, you can't make new ones up.

3. Similarly, pokémon must abide by well-known canonical rules. For example, no pokémon with three different types. Extremely unusual type or other attribute combinations that go against general canon are also frowned upon.

4. While creativity is encouraged, if it appears that certain elements of the pokémon are included simply to "one-up" canon the species will probably not be approved. For example, wailord is currently the longest pokémon, at 14.5 m. If you decide your pokémon is going to be 16 m Just Because, do not expect it to go over well. There are much better ways to make your pokémon unique and interesting than having it be "The most _____!" or "The only _____ that _____s!" out of the canon creatures thus far.

5. In a similar vein, while it is perfectly fine for you to create a pokémon that you actually would want to use in battle, your species is not likely to get approved if it's clear that your primary intent in creating it is to squish other people with it. For example, a level-up moveset along the lines of Extremespeed/Nasty Plot/Aromatherapy/Flamethrower/Transform/Heart Swap/Draco Meteor is a big "No."

6. An evolutionary family may contain up to FOUR pokémon. The group needn't be a single evolutionary line (but do have to be related somehow, obviously), but no, you may not create the next eevee with its bazillion different evolution possibilities.

7. If you are caught using someone else's concept for a new species without their express approval, you will be banned from ASB and your creation will be removed from the market if it had made it past the approval stage.

If you've got those down, you're ready to start filling out the form. It is supplied in code so that you can simply copy it into the reply box, delete the annoying clarifications, and enter your information. Make a new copy for each individual pokémon in the evolutionary family if there is more than one.

[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Type:[/b]
[b]Height:[/b] English or metric measurements are okay
[b]Weight:[/b] see above
[b]Habitat:[/b] Pick one of the eight types from the games (that excludes "Rare") as a base; describe in more detail if you desire.
[b]Ability:[/b] Up to two possible
[b]Base Stats:[/b] In the format HP/Attack/Defense/Special Attack/Special Defense/Speed

[b]Level-Up Moves[/b]

Delete this sentence and see below for instructions on filling out this section.

[b]Egg Moves[/b]

Delete this sentence and see below for instructions on filling out this section.

[b]Tutor Moves[/b]

[b]TM/HM Moves[/b]

[b]Evolution:[/b] If this pokémon is a final form, delete this section entirely. Otherwise, delete this and the previous sentence and see below for instructions on filling out this section.
[b]Rarity:[/b] According to the list given in the Registration Office. Virtually all pokémon created here will be at least rarity seven; some will be rarity eight. Use your best judgment, but be prepared to change this if asked.

[b]Physical Description:[/b] Describe the pokémon thoroughly in words and also provide some sort of image as reference. If your image is too low-quality, you may be asked to have someone else create a sprite or picture according to your specifications before the species may be used. Or you could make a better visual aid yourself.

It is now required that you provide at least two sprites for each species that you create: a "normal" sprite like those in the pokémon games that would represent a pokémon in battle, and a smaller "summary" sprite like the ones you would see when viewing the party screen in one of the games. These must conform to the normal size limits of ingame sprites of those respective types. The reason for this requirement will soon become clear.

You may provide sprites that you yourself have created, you may commission an independent spriter to make them for you, or you may ask one of the official registry spriters, listed at the bottom of this post, to make them for you instead.

[b]Pokédex Data:[/b] Include at least two 'dex blurbs. More is fine.

[b]Notes:[/b] Additional information that you think would be noteworthy. For example, if one or more species in an evolutionary family is genderless, this might be a good place to mention that.

The movepool for your pokémon must be built according to the following specifications:

1. A basic or baby pokémon may have up to eight level-up attacks, selected from any generation. A first-stage or non-evolving pokémon may have up to ten. A second-stage pokémon may have up to twelve. Level up moves should show a clear progression from weak to strong. Please include the levels at which these attacks are acquired.

2. Egg moves are wildcards and may come from any generation. All pokémon in the same evolutionary family share the same egg moves and may have up to four. Genderless pokémon, of course, have none.

3. Tutor moves are selected from the Gen III+ universal move tutor movepool (this excludes attacks like draco meteor, selfdestruct, ice beam, etc.). You may add any of the following attacks to your pokémon's movepool for free, provided it makes sense given the pokémon's traits: double-edge, endure, mimic, sleep talk, snore, substitute, and swagger. In addition to these, each evolutionary family may have up to four others from the overall pool, shared between all members of the family. If your pokémon already learns mirror coat by some other method, it may not learn counter as a tutored move.

4. All TM/HM moves are to be taken from the Gen IV TM/HM list. You may add any of the following attacks to your pokémon for free, provided they make sense given its species: TM45 Attract, TM78 Captivate, TM32 Double Team, TM58 Endure, TM42 Facade, TM21 Frustration, TM10 Hidden Power, TM83 Natural Gift, TM17 Protect, TM18 Rain Dance, TM44 Rest, TM27 Return, TM43 Secret Power, TM82 Sleep Talk, TM90 Substitute, TM11 Sunny Day, TM97 Swagger, and TM08 toxic. In addition to these attacks, a basic- or baby-stage pokémon may learn up to 10 other TM/HM attacks, a first-stage or nonevolving pokémon may learn up to 15, and a second-stage pokémon may learn up to 20. Please include the TM's number along with its name.

Your pokémon's evolution field should indicate how that pokémon evolves to its next stage; if it has a split evolution path, it should include how it evolves into all of its alternate forms. If the pokémon evolves by level, be sure to state that level; if it evolves with an item, of course, you must also state which one. Only items currently in use in this ASB are permitted. You may, if you so choose, come up with an entirely different set of evolution conditions for your pokémon. However, do not make it ridiculously difficult to achieve (you have to win 100 matches!!!) or otherwise stupid (your name must start with M and you have to review my fanfic!) or it will be rejected.

Once you have provided all necessary information and gotten the go-ahead from two different approvers, you may claim your new pokémon at the Registry Office and enjoy seeing it added to the list of available pokémon.

Last edited:
Ok, this is from awhile ago. I would rather have you check out the image (yes, the info is in an image), then tell me where it is screwed up completely. Because I know it is screwed up greatly, as, like I stated before, I made it a long time ago.

So, a Pokemon for approval (which won't be approved at this stage just for not being the proper format):

EDIT: And for the love of god, ignore the additional information!

tormutle8ko.png

First and foremost, ditch the ability; you can't create a new one.

And those egg moves are... weird. The fact that Tormutle would have to belong to at least three different egg groups (none of which are even Water 1, as you say the line is) to even get them all notwithstanding, they just plain don't make any sense. Please explain how a Water/Dark turtle-crocodile can use any of those moves.

The HMs are fine, I suppose, but some of the TMs are just as weird as the egg moves. Calm Mind? Light Screen? Giga Drain? No evolving basic Pokémon or even first stage can learn Hyper Beam by TM that doesn't already learn it by level-up. And why Recover? There are always strange exceptions in the Pokémon world (surfing Rhydon mirite), but it's generally a bad idea to give a Pokémon an attack just because you think you can or it seems cool/useful/whatever. Tormutle's design should ideally reflect its ability to use whatever moves you give it with some degree of logic, so its appearance, description and all of that should provide some sort of explanation for anything it can do that isn't instantly obvious.

About the Pokédex entry... "massive destruction"? Totodile has pretty strong jaws and Mudkip can smash boulders, yeah, but even when combining the two that sounds either overpowered or melodramatic.

And, of course, you're missing a lot of information that the form requires (rarity, does it have tutor moves, the written description, etc.) And there's no information on Crocatoise and Tortagator at all other than the evolution levels.

It needs a lot of work, really. Just think about those suggestions and rewrite it using the form so that it actually makes more sense. I remember you tried to get these approved long, long ago on the pre-explosion forums, and while I don't remember what you were told then (or much of what other people were told) I think the general idea is to create something more original than a (very strange) hybrid of existing Pokémon. It could certainly work with some cleaning up and I'll let Negrek have the final say on the spliceishness, but... yeah.

Ok, um... You forgot a section for type O.o

Oh, and Tormutle, btw, has a little quirk with evolution (Which helps to explain recover)

When Tormutle evolves, he turns from Water/Dark to Water/Fighting, then Water/Fighting to Water/Psychic. Thought I would put that here to make sure that wasn't too bizarre or anything

Fixed. Although with regards to tormutle, no other line shows the same secondary type-switching pattern, so I'd really prefer you didn't.

Well, I still need to keep Tormutle Dark type and Tortagator Psychic type, due to their attacks and tendencies. Is that ok? I can switch Crocatoise's typing to Water/Dark or Water/Psychic, however, without having to rehaul him

Um, hey I have a question! By "participated in at least two battles", does that mean they have to have both been completed?

Well, I can't submit Tormutle then *Didn't see the 2 battles thing*

D: Oh well, gives me time to work on the family

I've been in two complete battles so... I can do this! :3

Name: Enculli

Type: Dark

Height: 1 foot

Weight: 10 lbs

Habitat: Cave

Ability: Liquid Ooze, Mold Breaker

Level-Up Moves

0 – Tail Whip
0 – Bite
13 - Leach Life
25 - Odor Sleuth
31 - Wrap
40 - Disable
46 - Crunch
51 - Night Slash

Egg Moves
Thrash
Curse
AncientPower
Headbutt

Tutor Moves
Mimic
Sleep talk
Snore
Substitute
Swagger

Swords Dance
Defense Curl
Fury Cutter
Dream Eater

TM/HM Moves
M45 Attract
TM32 Double Team
TM58 Endure
TM21 Frustration
TM10 Hidden Power
TM17 Protect
TM18 Rain Dance
TM44 Rest
TM27 Return
TM82 Sleep Talk
TM90 Substitute
TM97 Swagger
TM08 Toxic

TM12 Taunt
TM23 Iron Tail
TM30 Shadow Ball
TM36 Sludge Bomb
TM41 Torment
TM46 Thief
TM66 Payback
TM79 Dark Pulse
TM61 Will-O-Wisp
HM01 Cut

Evolution: Happiness + Night --> Homuncul

Rarity: R7

Physical Description:
enculli.png
enculli-shiny-1.png
teenyenculli.png

It is small, grey-skinned, creature with a snakelike body, but with three sets of fully-formed but stubby legs tipped with three clawed toes each. It has two sets of ‘claspers’ after the legs, one of which has two claws, which can be used for slow movement in a pinch. It has two large eyes that are on either side of its head, taking up most of the head. Its mouth is full of small, sharp teeth and runs from the front of the face to the centre of the underbelly. Two red rings are on the base of its whip like tail, which is as long as its main body. It has several moon-shaped red patterns along its body, which are unique to the individual, but they always have one small moon-shape on the last set of legs, with two triangles and a circle around it.

Pokédex Data: DIAMOND: It lives in caves, feeding on the vital fluids of any that may wander too close. Their blood is said to turn iron into gold.

PEARL: In the past, Alchemists used the blood of ENCULLI to turn base metal into gold. It scuttles on the walls and roofs of caves hunting for blood to drink.

Base Stats:
SPD: 45
HP: 55
ATK: 65
DEF: 35
SpDEF: 50
SpATK: 40

Notes: None that I can think of.

Evolves into:

Name: Homuncull

Type: Dark/Flying

Height: 3 feet 2 inches

Weight: 50 lbs

Habitat: Cave

Ability: Inner Focus, Mold Breaker

Level-Up Moves

0 – Tail Whip
0 – Bite
13 - Leach Life
25 - Odor Sleuth
31 - Wrap
40 - Hypnosis
46 - Power Gem
51 - Night Slash
60 - Wing Attack
69 - U-Turn

Egg Moves
Thrash
Curse
AncientPower
Headbutt

Tutor Moves
Mimic
Sleep talk
Snore
Substitute
Swagger

Swords Dance
Defense Curl
Fury Cutter
Dream Eater

TM/HM Moves
M45 Attract
TM32 Double Team
TM58 Endure
TM21 Frustration
TM10 Hidden Power
TM17 Protect
TM18 Rain Dance
TM44 Rest
TM27 Return
TM82 Sleep Talk
TM90 Substitute
TM97 Swagger
TM08 Toxic

TM12 Taunt
TM23 Iron Tail
TM30 Shadow Ball
TM36 Sludge Bomb
TM41 Torment
TM46 Thief
TM66 Payback
TM79 Dark Pulse
TM61 Will-O-Wisp
HM01 Cut

TM40 Aerial Ace
TM47 Steel Wing
TM59 Dragon Pulse
TM65 Shadow Claw
HM02 Fly

Evolution: No More

Rarity: R7

Physical Description:
homuncul-3.png
homuncul-shiny-1.png
hulmonculreq.png

It has a lizard-like body, with a long neck and tail. Its head is slightly bird-like, with a beak and two horns extending from the back. Its eyes are narrow and purple, with two red lines underneath. A blood-red gemstone is embedded in its chest. Its legs are long, tipped with three-toed feet with long claws. A pair of dragonic wings extends from its back, the inner webbing of which is purple. Three red lines mark the wings on the back. Its tail is a little shorter than its body, with more red markings along it, near the base. The tail is very flexible.

Image | Sprite by Tropiking

Pokédex Data: DIAMOND: HOMUNCULL are said to have been made long ago by humans to do delicate work. The gemstone on its chest is capable of lulling its foes to sleep.

PEARL: The red stone embedded in a HOMUNCULL's chest is said to have mystical properties. It is a powerful flier, using its wings to maneuver in the dark of caves.

Base Stats:
SPD: 95
HP: 80
ATK: 95
DEF: 60
SpDEF: 65
SpATK: 70

Notes: nothing that I can think of.

Last edited:
The fact that it ordinarily would evolve only at night is pretty moot here, but other than that it looks good. I'll approve it.

Oh, Negrek, I have a question involving Tormutle

If I do a clear enough explanation in the dex entry for its final evolution as to why it loses the Dark type and gains the Psychic type, along with maybe changing the way it evolves to help further explain it, would that work? Otherwise, I need to COMPLETELY redo the final evolution, as it was designed as a Psychic type - attacks, appearance, and all

Full Metal Cookies

Looks fine from where I'm standing, so it's approved.

Negrek: A few questions. First of all, it looks like the "three new families per member" rule from before has been removed. That was intentional, yes? (Please say yes.) Do contests/contest battles count toward the two completed matches? And are "counterparts" okay? Say, for example, I wanted to create a... female version of the Tyrogue line. They wouldn't be alternate forms or evolutions or anything, just something like Tauros and Miltank. Would something like that work?

:D yay! so... I can go get one now? Or do I need to have a sprite for Enculli? I'm making one now, but it won't be that good, ahaha...

Icalasari

Possibly. Though I might suggest you design a new pokémon for this system rather than trying to cram one you've already made up into the mold, if it's going to be that much trouble anyway.

Kratos Aurion

First of all, it looks like the "three new families per member" rule from before has been removed. That was intentional, yes?
Yes.

Do contests/contest battles count toward the two completed matches?
Yes.

And are "counterparts" okay? Say, for example, I wanted to create a... female version of the Tyrogue line. They wouldn't be alternate forms or evolutions or anything, just something like Tauros and Miltank. Would something like that work?
I'd really rather you not, but I'm willing to consider it.

Full Metal Cookies

You can get one now.

Last edited:
Hey, um, I have a lot of fakes (but one line in particular) and I'd like to enter them sooner rather than later so I don't forget. However, I'm two battles short of the two-battles-required limit. Could I enter it now, tweak it and get it approved, then hold off until I've completed the requirements for it to become real?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom