• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The Omskivar vs pathos

Okayyyy Malsh you're doing pretty good so far. Let's see what we can do from here. I think we'll Chill first action to try and clear that confusion. Then start screeching away with an Uproar for two actions.

Chill ~ Uproar x2

ASB Central Arena

Pre-Round Stats

The Omskivar xO
Sentret
Fletcher (♂) <Keen Eye>
Health: 60% [CAPPED]
Energy: 89%
Condition: From tummyaches, soon to headaches... [Stat Boost: Att. +1; Mimic replaced by Skull Bash]
Commands: 15% Substitute/Power-Up Punch ~ Curse/15% Substitute/Power-Up Punch ~ Focus Punch/Skull Bash

pathos xO
Rattata Lucky-Egg
Malsh (♂) <Guts>
Health: 83%
Energy: 77%
Condition: Oww, my head. [Stat Boost: Def. +3; Confused: 35% chance of move failure]
Commands: Chill ~ Uproar ~ Uproar

Round Nine Start

While Fletcher gently pokes at the bruise on his stomach, the referee drops his flags to indicate the beginning of the round. Malsh drops to the ground, curling up into a ball, and watches the Fletcher Brothers, who continue to prod with their bellies. Growing quickly uninterested, Fletcher watches Malsh, who looks like he was taking a nap in the sun. Smirking, Flethcher jumped onto his nubs and started digging around, scrapping dirt into a pile. The dirt pile soon grew large enough, and Fletcher sent about making a self-sculpture. When he was finished, he kissed the forehead of the dirt pile, which looked very crudely, if you tilted your head and squinted, like a a Sentret. The mock Sentret jumped to its tail at the feeling of the kiss, and surveyed the land, quickly mimicking Fletcher in watching Malsh, who yawned and stood up. Malsh now saw two Sentrets, one fewer than last time, as the sunlight faded behind passing clouds.

Malsh was growing tired from laying around, and decided to begin his own rock band on the spot. Standing back, Malsh began squeaking loudly, the squeaks echoing off the stadium. The dirt Sentret sat completely still, as it had when Fletcher had created it. However, it's creator was now laying on the ground, tail and nubs on his ears. Malsh kept squeaking loudly as Fletcher attempted to unfold. Keeping his nubs on his ears, Malsh drew a crude image of himself in the dirt. Perching on his tail, Fletcher added a small squeak to squeaks of Malsh, and shut his eyes. The dirt Fletcher joined him on the opposite side of the circle, mimicking Fletcher without any sound. The Sentret on the ground flashed brown momentarily, soon followed by Fletcher flashing brown. Fletcher returned his nubs to his ears, feeling tougher and stronger, but slower.

Malsh continued his chorus of one, that was quickly beginning to sound like "that racket them kids these days listen to." The referee had taken to sitting down with ear plugs in. Fletcher was in a similar situation, though was ready to do something about it. Dropping from his tail to his nubs, Fletcher began an even slower run towards Malsh. Unable to tuck his head in, he simply ran on his nubs, tail flung out in front of him. His dirt brother was behind him, ready to defend if need be. As he slammed into Malsh, and the duo tumbled backwards, and Malsh's screeching stopped. That was fine, the rat figured, his performance was scheduled to end anyway. Fletched rolled back towards Omskivar, stretching his nubs up to hold his head. Malsh watched, snickering, as Fletcher returned to his spot, tail wrapped around his head in pain. The referee dropped his flags and the round ended.

Round Nine End

The Omskivar xO
Sentret
Fletcher (♂) <Keen Eye>
Health: 23%
Energy: 69%
Condition: Oh Arceus, oh Arceus, oh Arceus! Am I broken? I think I am broken. [Stat Boost: Att. +2, Def. +2, Spd. -1; Mimic replaced by Skull Bash]
Used: Substitue (15%) ~ Curse ~ Skull Bash
Substitute: 15%

pathos xO
Rattata Lucky-Egg
Malsh (♂) <Guts>
Health: 68%
Energy: 79%
Condition: Did you enjoy my a cappella? [Stat Boost: Def. +3; Confused: 10% chance of move failure]
Used: Chill ~ Uproar ~ Uproar​

Damage/Energy Calculations:
Fletcher Health: 60 - 15 (Substitute) - 11 (Uproar) - 11 (Uproar) = 23
Fletcher Energy: 89 - 8 (Substitute) - 3 (Curse) - 9 (Skull Bash) = 69
Malsh Health: 83 - 15 (Skull Bash) = 68
Malsh Energy: 77 + 10 (Chill) - 4 (Uproar) - 4 (Uproar) = 79
Fletcher Sub: 15 = 15

Notes:
- Let me know if I missed anything.
- Confusion Rolls [Malsh] (need 35 or lower for Confusion): 75, 88, 55
- Critical Hit rolls [Fletcher] (need 10 or lower to crit): 83, 58, 85
- Critical Hit rolls [Malsh] (need 10 or lower to crit): 21, 19, 98
- Speeds - Fletcher: 13; Malsh: 72.
- Sentret, stop being a circle. So hard to write about head pains when you lack a defined head D:

Action Sequence
pathos commands.
The Omskivar commands.

Last edited:
Small nitpick.

Confusion: A confused pokémon has its perceptions of the world distorted and usually has difficulty coordinating its movements. It becomes a danger to itself, there being the chance, on any given action, that it will end up hurting itself in its attempt to complete an attack against the opponent, for example by tripping and falling while running at the foe. Severe confusion is associated with a 50% chance of damaging oneself, and this chance decreases as the severity of the condition fades over time. The damage is calculated as if the Pokémon used a 40-power, typeless, physical attack against itself. Status moves always cause severe confusion outside of extraordinary circumstances. It fades more quickly if the confused pokémon takes significant damage from an opponents' attack.

Skull Bash did 15 damage, enough to count as 'significant damage'. Although Malsh's confusion did lighten, I'm not sure it counts as enough considering he chilled and was hit by a strong attack.

Anyhow, er, Malsh, you're doing great, so let's keep it up. Keep using single-action Uproars as long as Fletcher isn't protecting or otherwise unhittable (undeground or something). If you can't hit him, a Work Up should do. If he does try and hide underground, though, just follow him and Uproar down there. If you can't do any of this, due to confusion or some other reason, just Chill.

Uproar / Work Up / Chill x3

Jesus H. Christ this doesn't look good. I was hoping to evolve you, Fletch, but it's gonna take some creativity.

Start by using Mud-Slap to pack mud in your ears while yelling as loud as you can. If the logistics escape you, just try slamming your tail into the ground (which should be reasonably damp I think, there was a lot of water being thrown around) and catching some mud in your hands. That should help with the Uproars; after that, Reversal away.

Mud-Slap (plug ears)~Reversal~Reversal

ASB Central Arena

Pre-Round Stats

The Omskivar xO
Sentret
Fletcher (♂) <Keen Eye>
Health: 23%
Energy: 69%
Condition: Oh Arceus, oh Arceus, oh Arceus! Am I broken? I think I am broken. [Stat Boost: Att. +2, Def. +1, Spd. -1; Mimic replaced by Skull Bash]
Commands: Mud-Slap (plug ears) ~ Reversal ~ Reversal

pathos xO
Rattata Lucky-Egg
Malsh (♂) <Guts>
Health: 68%
Energy: 79%
Condition: Did you enjoy my a cappella? [Stat Boost: Def. +3; Confused: 10% chance of move failure]
Commands: Uproar/Work Up/Chill ~ Uproar/Work Up/Chill ~ Uproar/Work Up/Chill

Round Ten Start

The referee had laid down on the ground nearly a month ago, and hadn't woken since. A swift kick to the side from one of the battlers sent him onto his bum, and he dropped his flag to open the near ending battle.

Malsh jumped into action at the sight of the flags. He was due for an encore, and wasn't ready to disappoint. Malsh began squeaking, with every squeak echoing off the stadium walls. Fletcher pulled down his ears, wrapping his tail around his head and ears, and waited the chorus out. When felt pleasent with his work, he stopped and watched the frightened Sentret uncurl and begin scrapping at the ground. Unfortunatly for Fletcher, the ground had slightly dried since the mud had gone flying, and was able to get barely any more than a couple of small clumps per ear. Scrapping up dirt and dust, the packed that in around the edges as well, hoping it would do something if Malsh decided to preform for him again.

Malsh, not willing to disappoint, began another chorus of squeaking, this time louder than ever. The echos penetrated the layer of mud and dirt Fletcher had managed to pack in, and struck harshly against the Pokemon's eardrums. The referee and trainers covered their ears this time as well, the chorus seeming more rocking than ever. Malsh felt pleased when he finished with the rocking chorus, as he saw not only Fletcher laying on the ground, cringing, but the opponent's trainer as well. Smirking, the Rattata jumped around, waiting. Meanwhile, Fletcher had shoved himself up and had begun to glare at Malsh, who was gloating like he had already won. Fletcher knew better, however, and was growing angry. Running on his nubs, Fletcher ran a full head on tackle at Malsh, who wasn't able to stop jumping long enough to notice his opponent, who slammed into him at full force, sending the duo into a tumble. When the dust settled, both Pokemon were laying behind pathos, shoving themselves up and dusting off.

Ready to end the fight, Malsh glared at Fletcher as they stood again. Clearing his throat, Malsh prepared to give the final performance up-close and personal. Opening his mouth and showing his teeth, Malsh entered another chorus of squeaking right into Fletcher's ears. Not that it mattered too much, for within seconds of the final encore beginning, Fletcher collapsed back into the dirt, knocked out. Dropping his flags, the referee signaled the end of the battle, and Malsh finished his encore. The two trainers stepped up, shook hands, and soon departed with slips to give
the bank. Malsh trotted out beside pathos, completly gleeful, while Omskivar recalled Fletcher and gave words of praise.

Round Ten End

The Omskivar xX
Sentret
Fletcher (♂) <Keen Eye>
Health: 0%
Energy: 55%
Condition: Fainted
Used: Mud-Slap (plug ears) ~ Reversal ~ Fainted

pathos xO
Rattata Lucky-Egg
Malsh (♂) <Guts>
Health: 48%
Energy: 67%
Condition: My a cappella is deadly! [Stat Boost: Def. +3]
Used: Uproar ~ Uproar [Critical Hit] ~ Uproar​

Damage/Energy Calculations:
Fletcher Health: 23 - 11 (Uproar) - 11 (Uproar) - 8 (Uproar) = 0
Fletcher Energy: 69 - 2 (Mud-Slap [Fill ears]) - 11 (Reversal) = 55
Malsh Health: 68 - 20 (Reversal) = 48
Malsh Energy: 79 - 4 (Uproar) - 4 (Uproar) - 4 (Uproar) = 67
Fletcher Sub: 15 = 0

Notes:
- Let me know if I missed anything.
- Not quite a month... Excuse my absence, please...
- Confusion Rolls [Malsh] (need 10 or lower for Confusion): 49, 70, 100
- Critical Hit rolls [Fletcher] (need 10 or lower to crit): 46, 86, 56
- Critical Hit rolls [Malsh] (need 10 or lower to crit): 77, 8, 59
- Speeds - Fletcher: 13; Malsh: 72.
- Since the sun had been out since the water had been flying, Fletcher was able to get enough mud in his ears to weaken the Uproar's by 25%.
- Fletcher had 1% health when the Reversal came into play, giving it a base 200.
- Fletcher fainted in Action 3.

Prizes
The Omskivar: $10 | Whoopi: 2 Exp | Fletcher: 1 Exp
pathos: $20 | tetris: 1 Exp | Malsh: 3 Exp
Zexion: $15

Ah, yay ;n; On behalf of Omski, I will note that there are a few odd typos in the reffing, butttt I'm glad it's over, ahaha... T'was a good battle, Omski!!

So, I'm wrapping this up on behalf of The Omskivar.

I'm afraid it's not going to be possible to approve you as a referee at this point in time, though. There's a number of errors in your reffings that have slipped by. This includes:
-Paralysis should divide the afflictee's speed by 1/4, rather than 3/4;
-After tetris uses Conversion, its Water typing only seems to be applied sporadically -- some moves seem to be dealing damage of the incorrect effectiveness;
-On round four, tetris was commanded to Chill if it couldn't see the enemy, and Whoopi dove, bringing that about. In that situation, you correctly had tetris Chill in the third action, but for some reason not in the second;
-Frustration can't possibly deal 15% base damage. Frustration and Return deal base damage ranging from 1% to 10%, and the extremes should be used sparingly. It's understandable that this information was missing from the database at the time, but generally, if you're not sure of something when reffing, you should drop a line in the Question Box or simply ask someone;
-The rates at which paralysis and confusion heal don't seem to be particularly consistent -- I can't be very certain of what was the logic behind it, but the statuses seemed to sometimes heal surprisingly fast and sometimes remain for surprisingly long.

While one or two mistakes aren't necessarily a problem, frequent error usually requires some tuning up -- you may need to pay more attention as you ref, or be more willing to ask around if you don't know something, or simply smoothen it out by means of more controlled practice. This doesn't mean we don't appreciate your initiative -- in fact, we would like you to be approved, but as it stands, your reffing needs work, so we'll have to take this from the beginning. Feel free to retake the referee quiz currently up whenever you're up for a retry. Although, first things first, we'll need to give the current test battle a definitive wrap, so close it up on the database, then let Zhorken know so the appropriate prizes can go out. In any case, I wish you more success if you're up for another go.

Thank you MF. As it stands, if I do retake, it probably won't be for awhile, with the way everything else is looking. Apologies on the errors. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom