• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Sojaveña Wilds Totally Normal Bulletin Board

“He was-” Archie began, before momentarily freezing. Seth was a lot like like Wes, but meaner. But he couldn’t exactly say that! “Testy. On edge. But not violent, at first.”

The Oshawott’s frown deepened, thinking back to the scraps of information they’d managed to extract from the Lycanroc. “Someone like Betel is talking to The Wolf. Telling him that we’re dangerous to the fabric of reality in this world. The Wolf wanted to dissuade us from investigating the Shadow Pokemon, apparently he’s been doing the same, and this other Voice convinced him that we’d just get in his way. When it was clear we wouldn’t be convinced to sit around Frontier Town and do nothing, that’s when he got violent.”

He shook his head, “Even at his most berserk though, he was still coherent enough to scream threats after us when we evaded him. Voclain thinks The Wolf is still early on in his… Illness, I guess is the best word to call it? But I’m not exactly keen on taking that Empoleon’s word for it.”

Nova hummed in though. "Hard to say for certain. Shadow-type might work differently here," he muttered. "But the one shadow-type that exists back home has been that way for ages and didn't descend into acting like a rabid feral." He traced a claw through the dirt. "Yes, if he got worked up enough, he might start attacking in a blind rage. He could suppress it, though.

"I ought to know, since I'm the one who shadowed him."

Once again, Archie found himself at a loss for words. He took a half step back, looking askance at the chimera. Had Nova been made to commit every crime known to Man or ‘Mon? Because that was what it was starting to seem like!

“Wait, if you know how to make Pokemon go Shadow, then surely you must know a thing or two about undoing the process too, right?” The Oshawott asked, a little hopefully, “Even if it’s not exactly the same in this world, any sort of information you might have could be really helpful!”

Nova saw that initial look in the oshawott's eyes. "I'm not totally blind with this thing, y'know," he said. "It's a permanent change in my world. I did it to save him. It was the only thing I could come up with to undo all his injuries." Nova was digging a tiny hole in the dirt with a single talon. "His shadows came from transferring past abuse into... raw power. But I used Eterna energy for that." He looked around. "We'd be fucked six ways from Sunday if that's here, so that's probably not it."

What was it Mira had told him, again? "Shadowing is, like, sealing off what makes a pokémon themselves." Nova was certain there was a better way to phrase that, but it was all he had. "In that sense, what I did back home was exploiting a loophole. Taking what criminals forced this person to be like through abusing him before he could become himself and sealing that."

... Aaaaaand that just sounds worse.

He shook his head. "The point is, like, if you seal something, you should be able to unseal it." Nova didn't have any more memories to go off. Purely speculation now. "Except they're, y'know, not physical seals. They're emotional or spiritual or whatever."

Very smooth.

“I... Sorry,” the Oshawott said, ears drooping. “It’s just, I heard some things from Wes and Corey about how Shadow Pokemon were created in their worlds, and, well, it didn’t exactly paint the most friendly of pictures.”

Still, sealing off what made a Pokemon themselves? Shutting off core aspects of their personalities in exchange for power? Something humans did to manipulate Pokemon into mindless aggression. Lacking any and all other feelings and emotions. It all sounded grim…

“The ex-mayor likened it to a disease, like rabies,” Archie added, “But the way you describe it, it sounds more like dissociation? Like some kind of trauma response?”

Or maybe that was just pop-culture talking? Man, he really should’ve gone into medicine instead of ranger school… Wait...

"Maybe?" Nova eyed Archie. "If it's a disease, then wouldn't those of you who had run ins already be showing signs of corruption?" Hadn't Archie said he wasn't taking anything Ignoramus offered at face value? "At the very least, the folks who got attacked by the charmeleon would."

He shook his head. "I don't know what kind of response it is, but I believe sealing off the spirit is done intentionally to another pokémon." Nova resumed worming a talon through the hole in the dirt. Maybe this "counter voice" was the one doing it? Hard to say. "So there has to be intention to undo it. Which, uh, could be that opposite power or whatever that got brought up at the meeting.

"That might be part of it. But, like, we don't have it yet." The rear-facing claw from Nova's same foreleg tapped the dirt. "You remember what the Rangers said before we fought? That the best way pokémon understand one another is through battling."

Nova had chewed on this for a bit, but now that he was saying it out loud, boy was it cheesy. Like, a four-cheese pizza on the cheez-o-meter. "I think with the way it works here... pokémon can show their hearts through fighting. So, like, maybe that's how we counter it? If we open our hearts to the shadows through battle, we might loosen those seals." He paused. "At least enough for them to calm down, I hope."

Okay, yeah, now that it was entirely out in the open, it sure sounded like Nova was suggesting they beat good vibrations into these 'mons. Then again, if the power of friendship is a tangible force...

Maybe it was worth running this by Mewtwo.

“I don’t know,” the Oshawott said quietly. He looked down at his belly again, gently placing a paw over his bandages. “Those of us who’ve actually faced a Shadow Pokemon in battle – the people who were on the Blaguarro mission, and those of us who were attacked in the Haus – we’ve had these strange dreams, where we were contacted by the same Voice that’s speaking to The Wolf. Is that a possible sign of corruption? Am I going to watch my friends succumb to it? Am I going to succumb myself? As much as I want to help, I’m in the dark about all this. I’d never even heard of Shadow Pokemon before coming here.”

He shook his head again, and sighed, “You said that we open our hearts to the Shadows through battle, and that maybe through battle we can loosen whatever it is that’s got them in the grip of Shadow possession. But what if it’s a two way street? What if we’re just inviting the corruption in as much as we’re trying to drive it out?”

When they’d faced down the Drapion, it seemed like Koa managed to break through to it, even if just a little. It became less hostile, more like a normal feral. If only they could replicate that success with more regularity. But when they had to outnumber the Shadow by a factor of five or more just to have an even chance of pulling off a victory, and still got beat down for their trouble, it simply wasn’t practical at their current capabilities. But Archie hated having to rely on some mythical opposite force that they barely even knew the first thing about. What if it was too late by the time they actually found it?

"Wait, what?" Nova's fur bristled. His claws fully dug into the dirt, ruining the tiny hole. "That other voice was contacting you in your dreams?" He narrowed his gray eyes. "Y'know, if Betel has a general idea on where we are... don't you think that, even if it was in a dream, that shadowy voice making contact might've let it find out where you're sleeping?

"Why else would a shadow 'mon just so happen to show up at the Haus?"

The Oshawott took a step back, surprised at the sudden hostility. Still, it was an honest question. And an angle he didn’t recall any of the others considering.

“It’s possible,” Archie acceded. “I wasn’t contacted personally until after the Haus Invasion, but the Blaguarro group were theorizing just how it was the Shadow Pokemon came to the Haus. Apparently, some of them had encountered the same Shadow while they were in Blaguarro proper, and even though they took the train there and back, somehow the Shadow traced them all the way back to Frontier Town.”

At the time, the idea that the Drapion had had an innate knowledge of where its pins had wound up didn’t seem like the worst one. Maybe a little far fetched, but not the strangest possibility. But knowing what Seth had told him and Wes about the Voice, and Archie’s own theorizing about an intelligence behind the Shadows ordering them to take certain actions, it certainly made much more sense that whatever Voice was speaking to them could pinpoint their locations at least accurately enough to send a Shadow Pokemon after them.

“I’d better tell the others, if that Voice knows where we are at all times, they’re all in danger...” he said, bringing up a paw to rest against his muzzle.

"Yeah, that sounds like a good idea." Nova's eyes darted around. "Just, uh, how many of you have gotten attacked by shadow 'mons now?"

The Oshawott counted to himself, muttering under his breath. Then he frowned, and shrugged apologetically. “Maybe ten or so? I don’t know who all went on the Blaguarro mission. Those of us who were in the Haus attack, though, I know we all had the dream. So that’s me, Koa and Wes, Kimiko, Astrid, Steven and Ridley, and I think their names were Dave and Odette? Maybe Bellatrix, but I don’t know for sure.”

Nova nodded slowly. "And I think there were others attacked by Charmeleon. It could be up to half the group." His talon was tapping the edge of the divot he'd made in the ground. Tap, tap, tap. "I wonder... if the density makes it easier. If more people tinged from shadow-type stuff being in one location makes it easier for that voice to do its thing." He tilted his head left. "Kind of like Betel having an easier time when many of us are gathered together." Nova swayed his head right. "Two sides of a coin."

There was something else about the listing of named that bothered him. "And, I hope it's just coincidence, but between the Haus and the wagon... doesn't it seem to bother you that, when these shadow 'mon spring out of the woodwork, they're getting at a large number of the humans in our group?" He tilted his head back to the left. "Whereas those of us who've always been pokémon... have mostly steered clear."

... No, it must have just been luck, right? After all, the ex-humans outnumbered the natural pokémon in the group. It was simple probability.

"You're probably not going to like hearing this, but... as much as your gut is telling your otherwise, you have to find a way to rise above that fear," Nova mumbled. "I think... being afraid of shadows... makes it easier for them to latch on. At least back home, when the shadow 'mon was losing himself, it was the most negative emotions that dominated his headspace. Not so much fear for him, but..."

He shook his head. "Bah, I'm rambling. It's easy for me to sit here and say that stuff." Nova slowly stood up. "But if you were in my position, you'd find it hard for any of this to phase you. My focus is... on getting in the right headspace."

That said, Archie had been forthcoming. It was only fair Nova return the favor. "I'd go find Felin if I were you. She told me she had a lead on how to possibly get some of that light power." He paused, inspecting the oshawott's wounds. "Well, after you get properly healed up." The null a step in the board's direction. "I'll block you from taking a job if need be."

His tone was joking with that last bit, even if the mask muffled that.

Archie folded his arms again, deep in thought. Certainly, it made sense that the Shadow Voice would have a stronger connection the more of them gathered, same as Betel. He wondered if the Dungeon Sapling they’d planted outside of Silver Ravine acted as a signal strengthener for them as well? Maybe it would be best if they went forward assuming that anything Betel could do, the Shadow Voice could as well, at least until proven otherwise, after all, better safe than sorry.

As for the human angle in all this, it was hard to say if there was a connection or it was just happenstance. There were a number of humans among them, Archie of course included. Still, it was something that couldn’t just be dismissed out of hand.

“I don’t know if it’s so much fear for me,” the Oshawott said, “I mean, obviously I’m afraid, it’d be stupid not to be. That fear isn’t going to control me. But…”

He was afraid for Wes. Already so volatile. And with a tendency to push people away and stew in his emotions. Confronted with a version of himself already in the grasp of Shadow possession. A version whose life seemingly hadn’t gone well. A version of himself that maybe the Rockruff was afraid of becoming. Attacked by the Charmeleon, the Drapion, and the Lycanroc, beaten down by all three. If they were all being corrupted, he might be the furthest along.

Nova’s advice to seek out Felin broke the Oshawott from his thoughts. He hadn’t seen the green cat Pokemon in some time, not since the first big meet up at the square shorty after they all arrived, he thought. She’d gone to seek out the Escarpa, if he remembered right. Seeking her out at least wouldn’t hurt. Not until after he’d warned the others about the chimera’s theory of the Shadow Voice being able to track their locations. He blinked in surprise when Nova moved to block him from the job board, but soon chuckled, feeling some amount of tension he’d been carrying evaporate.

“I’ll be okay, really,” he said, “Just not used to sitting around so much, you know?”

Nova raised a brow, though the mask hid it. "Well, you might want to get used to it. Bandages don't help much if you go marching off into the desert winds." He leveled a talon at Archie's bandaged belly. "Setting yourself up to get that thing infected. And then you won't be any good to your buddies. You really oughta rest. You can't help others until you've helped yourself."

The Oshawott frowned. He couldn’t exactly argue with the logic of that. He wouldn’t exactly be of any use to anyone if he worsened his injuries. At the same time, he felt like he had to be doing something. There had to be something he could do, some way to contribute that didn’t put too much strain on his injuries. He just wasn’t seeing it!

“I know you’re right,” Archie conceded, “It just… Feels like I need to be doing something!”

At least this conversation felt pretty productive. He needed to find the others and warn them about the possibility of the Shadow Voice tracking them in their sleep. He needed to find Felin and figure out what she knew about this strange other power. And he was still concerned about Nova isolating himself out here, so far away from everyone else!

“… Are you sure I can’t convince you to come back to Frontier Town?” He pressed, “Or, at least find some people to stick close to? Does anyone know you’ve been staying out here?”

"Yeah. Mhynt does. So do the owners of the board," Nova said. "I'm not staying anywhere in town until my training's done." He paused. "Certainly not now that it's clearly compromised. If anything, you should be convincing everyone else to find somewhere new. It's not safe where you are anymore."

That… Wasn’t very many people. And Archie wasn’t exactly sure the owners of the bulletin board counted as trustworthy. In fact, his gut was very much telling him they were not, but, the Oshawott was not exactly in a position to argue that right now. He just hoped the chimera knew what he was doing…

“It’s not so much the location as the proximity to others,” the Oshawott frowned, “I’ll warn as many people as I can, I just hope everyone doesn’t decide to scatter to the winds…”

He sighed, and looked back in the direction he’d come from. He really wasn’t looking forward to making the trek back to Frontier Town. So he looked back at Nova again, sticking his paws back into his pockets.

“You take care, too. Never know what might be lurking out here, especially when the sun goes down,” he said, before lifting a paw for a moment to give a wave, then dropped it back into his coat pocket. And with that, he turned, and started back down the road to town. He really hoped he wasn’t making a mistake leaving Nova alone in the tent city...

When the sun went down, huh? Mew did an exchange close to that time, if Nova recalled. So there was, potentially, a window of safety. But ingraining himself with a bunch of the natives... maybe it did act as a deterrent to the shadows.

Time would tell, Nova supposed. The training was more important. If he could find the right headspace, then maybe he could make a difference.

Maybe he could actually fight back.

<><><>​

Ch03 - Uncomfortable Questions Hour
Ambulatory scientific experiments stuck out somewhat in the world of Forlas, which made Nova a very easy person to track down. When Ridley asked around, he almost immediately learnt that an RKS chimera - a "graydian", as they were apparently known here - was regularly seen in the settlement around the bulletin board just north of town.

There were, admittedly, two chimeras among the Wayfarers, but Mhynt had mentioned that Nova received his pokeball from the person behind the bulletin board, so Ridley felt comfortable in assuming that the RKS chimera spending all his time around the board was more likely Nova than Gladion.

Training was intense. Like the kind of grueling exhausting that came from a long and difficult battle. Nova hoped that meant things were working. That some sort of bonding was happening. Maybe would the mask would get looser soon? Or crack? He had no idea. There was definitely some blind faith in play.

Still, he managed to muster up enough energy to search the board for well-paying missions. Nova felt stronger. Which probably meant bulkier. "What to do? What to do?"

Back
Top Bottom