• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Trick Room Ticks People Off

Solstice

Back from the dead.
Let's see.

This team is awesome. It covers every type, and has immunity to Fire, Poison and Ground. If you don't believe me, go use Marriland's Team Builder.

I'm keeping Heatmor. I don't give a damn about his stats. Deal with it.

And finally, I omitted Natures. The team is already in the making, and I made this RMT before I started making this team.

This is the start of the Master of Trick Room.

This is for doubles.

Porygon2@Eviolite
Trace
-
200 HP, 252 Sp. Defense, 56 Defense
- Recover
- Trick Room
- Magic Coat
- Tri Attack

One of my two leads, the other depending on the circumstance. General Trick Roomer, Recover to be a pain, Magic Coat to deflect any Taunt or any Status move I predict (It does help to battle you, action). Tri Attack for STAB, chance to Freeze, Burn, or Paralyze, and so I'm not locked into Struggle in the situation that I don't predict Taunt (although I believe Magic Coat is considered to be an attacking move.

Trace over Download because it helps me depending on the ability (but shuts me down with Slaking). Over Analytic because after Porygon2 sets up, it definitely won't be moving last.

Shuckle@Lum Berry
Sturdy
-
252 Defense, 252 HP, 4 Sp. Defense
- Power Trick
- Wide Guard
- Stone Edge
- Rock Slide

Very good wall, can take hits well. Sturdy prevents an OHKO. Power Trick because Shuckle's Attack stat is horrid, and doesn't have the proper moves to wall (except for Toxic, but why bother is there's no form of healing), nor the HP to support it's above-average Defenses. Although it will fall to Physical attacks once it uses Power Trick, it can still be a great Special Defensive wall. In the off-chance that I haven't Power Tricked yet, I can use Wide Guard to support my walls (especially if Porygon2 lost it's Eviolite).

Sturdy over Gluttony because Sturdy let's me survive an attack that doesn't hit multiple times (Shuckle will fall to Dual Chop, Rock Blast, Bullet Seed, etc.), while Gluttony will prove useless. Over Contrary because it wouldn't count my Power Trick or Wide Guard, and that this Shuckle will not be taking any stat-lowerage purposely.

Registeel@Leftovers
Clear Body
-
252 Attack, 4 Defense, 252 Sp. Defense
- Curse
- Sleep Talk
- Iron Head
- Rest

Typical Registeel set. Curse lowers my Speed, and ups Attack and Defense, making me even more of a wall, while making me faster in Trick Room. Iron Head will gain STAB, along with boosted power from Curse, plus the possibility to flinch. Rest to heal if I'm about to die, Sleep Talk so I can either attack, get my stats up, or helplessly do nothing. Clear Body holds it all together, preventing the foe from lowering my stats again, unless they have Gastro Acid or Mold Breaker.

Clear Body over Light Metal because I have no reason to be lighter, and laugh at Grass Knot.

Slowbro@Life Orb
Regenerator
-
252 Sp. Attack, 252 HP, 4 Defense
- Trick Room
- Slack Off
- Psychic
- Toxic

Slowbro is my second Trick Room starter. Slack Off + Regenerator for healing, Psychic + Life Orb so Slowbro gets the extra boost it needs, and Toxic so it can stall out any walls.

Regenerator over Own Tempo because this Slowbro isn't what you call offensive. Over Oblivious because Attract rarely comes into play in competitive battling. Also for the same reason as Own Tempo.

Celebi@Leftovers
Natural Cure
-
252 Sp Defense, 252 Attack, 4 Defense
- Trick Room
- Heal Bell
- Perish Song
- U-Turn

Celebi is my third Trick Room starter. It's also my cleric, with Heal Bell. Perish Song to kill off any mortals, and U-Turn to switch to a Pokemon more suited for the situation after the Trick Room is up or whatever other job I do.

Heatmor@Dark Gem
Flash Fire
-
252 Attack, 252 Defense, 4 Sp. Defense
- Heat Wave
- Sucker Punch
- Hidden Power (Ice)
- Protect

Heatmor, my last Pokemon. A lot of people say it's bad, but let's give it a try. Heat Wave for STAB and damage, Sucker Punch + Dark Gem for teh lulz, Hidden Power Ice for coverage, and Protect for scouting and other purposes. It eats fire attacks aimed at Celebi for breakfast.

This all looks neat. I'm trying to find the immunity to ground, however...

Something you may want to consider is Mixed Eelektross. Something like this:

604.png

<Levitate> @ Life Orb
252 Hp 128 Att 128 Satt
-Flamethrower
-Dragon Claw
-Thunderbolt
-Volt Switch/other

You see, the combo of Dragon and Fire hits everything at least neutral, and you have T-bolt in there for things you really just need to zap (no pun intended). Volt Switch if you think you need it, but its not necessary.

I was thinking of this for a Trick Room team I was making, so I would like to see how it performs, but I have no access to Pokemon Online, or another simulator that has Fifth Gen pokemon, so.

Already tried Mixed Elektross in my last TR Team, and it didn't survive very long.

You can feel free to use it. Maybe I will again if I ever need to.

I think it's just Dragon/Fire... lemme check.

Yeah, it's just Draong/Fire. The only thing dragon doesn't hit at least neutral is Steel, and Fire hits Steel 2x, so.

EDIT: I was just talking single types... but maybe? I don't know.

Anyways, is this decent?

I'm going to be working on it soon, so I need to know if any major changes are needed.

This really isn't all that hard to figure out. All the type combinations that resist Dragon contain Steel, because that's the only type that resists Dragon. Now, the type combinations that contain steel and another type are always neutral for Fire, because Steel is weak to Fire. There are no types that are immune to either Fire or Dragon. Simple enough. Fighting/Dragon would have the same advantage, discounting the Ghost type.

But Heatran resists it. :/ (Reshiram only has complete coverage because of Turbo Blaze.)

Is Slowbro your Conkeldurr counter?

I think you need more Pokes to abuse Trick Room, as just setting it up and doing nothing with it won't grab you a lot of victories. I suggest slow hard hitters like Rampardos, for example. (There are several others, just see what fits your team best).

I think Registeel should have Gyro Ball in its movepool, to abuse the times when there isn't a TR up. Unless it doesn't learn GB?

Have you played much 2vs2? This team really looks like something built with a singles mindset. Above all it looks like a stall team, with things like toxic slowbro and curse registeel. Stall is extremely different (and difficult!) to play in 2vs2, and you don't have the support here for it at all.

Lord of the Fireflies is right--this team doesn't do much with trick room. The thing is, trick room only lasts five rounds; once it goes up, you need to immediately hit the opponent hard. Setup sweepers (which is kind of what your registeel is... a little) won't work. Ambivalently statted pokémon won't work. You need aggressive, powerful pokémon with type coverage--not with 3/4 of their moves being setup or stall. Registeel's only attacking move is steel-typed. Slowking's only offensive attack is psychic-typed. You have no clear sweepers (except heatmor, I guess) and abysmal offensive type coverage.

You should be losing registeel altogether anyway--weakness to both earthquake and heat wave is killer. It's not going to stick around long.

In any case, if you want a trick room team, you're going to need to stop with all the fancy support options and bring in some heavy hitters, like conkeldurr or gigalith. Parasect is an interesting option, as it suddenly gets lightning-fast spore (but rock slide and heat wave weak--you'd better have wide guard support). Additionally, you need pokémon that can operate well even if trick room isn't up; conkeldurr is so popular in part because its bullet punch will always put a dent in the opposing team, whether or not trick room is in play.

Finally, you need some way to ensure that your trick room actually goes up. Right now you have no way to deal with fake out or even someone just double-targeting your trick roomer and nuking it on the first turn. Putting trick room on a ghost type works, putting it on something with a focus sash helps, and using something with follow me or rage powder can do wonders to see that the attack actually goes off.

However, if you've never played 2vs2 before, you're probably best off just throwing this team in the ring and seeing how it fares. You'll learn pretty quickly what its weaknesses are and get a sense of how the format works. It's very difficult to build a good team for a metagame you've never played in.

Adding on to what Negrek said, I would consider Offensive Trick Room Bronzong as a serious alternative to Registeel.

Bronzong@Macho Brace / Life Orb
Brave 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Sp def
<Levitate>

Gyro Ball
Earthquake
Trick Room
Explosion / Hypnosis

Considering you have no Ghost-types, maybe Explosion isn't so good of an option, but oh well. Additionally, a Ghost-type Trick Roomer you fir your team, replacing Celebi or Slowbro. Mostly Slowbro. I would consider either Dusknoir or Chandelure, Dusknoir is better defensively but Chandelure hits like a ton of bricks on fire.

Additionally, a Ghost-type Trick Roomer you fir your team, replacing Celebi or Slowbro. Mostly Slowbro. I would consider either Dusknoir or Chandelure, Dusknoir is better defensively but Chandelure hits like a ton of bricks on fire.

Ooh Ooh go with this Dusclops. He's awesome.

356.png

Impish w/Pressure @Eviolite
252 Hp 128 Def 128 SDef
-Seismic Toss
-Pain Split
-Will~O~Wisp
-Trick Room

He can wall pretty much everything. It's so amazing. I've got kind of a "beta" version on Shoddy and it is everything I could want. Try it.

EDIT: Woops forgot the Ev spread. Adding.

Last edited:
Definately Chandelure for a special sweeper.
Get Shadow Ball and Flamethrower/Flame Burst and two filler moves (Preferably one is TR) and a +Sp. Attack -Speed Nature as it is actually a bit speedy.
I would say 252 in Sp. Attack, some in HP for its low health, and the rest in either Defence or Sp. Defence.
Maybe a Focus Sash to stave off one-shotting, and maybe Flame Body to status attackers or Flash Fire with your Heatmor/Eelektross if you use it to nuke opponents with Flamethrower.

For Chandy, I would say:

Chandelure @ Iron-Ball /
lifeorb.png

<Flash Fire>
Quiet, 252 HP / 252 Sp Atk / 4 Sp Def

- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball
- Trick Room

Iron Ball is useful since even with a speed lowering nature and 0 Ivs in speed, Chandelure is still quite fast for a Trick Room Pokémon.

For Chandy, I would say:

Chandelure @ Iron-Ball /
lifeorb.png

<Flash Fire>
Quiet, 252 HP / 252 Sp Atk / 4 Sp Def

- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball
- Trick Room

Iron Ball is useful since even with a speed lowering nature and 0 Ivs in speed, Chandelure is still quite fast for a Trick Room Pokémon.

I would say that Flamethrower would be a better choice, with perfect accuracy and 3x more PP outweighing the low accuracy, 25 more power Fire Blast.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom