• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Two Rooms and a Boom

still not terribly clear about tbh lol

IIRC, someone in the spectator chat (Keldeo?) pointed out that the apostrophe should be before the "s", because it was a reference to the singular Joker, as in Batman, not jokers in general. I assumed it was my mistake, but I just looked back at the R1 chat and the apostrophe was originally at the end, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

joker's'ss's'

still not terribly clear about tbh lol

IIRC, someone in the spectator chat (Keldeo?) pointed out that the apostrophe should be before the "s", because it was a reference to the singular Joker, as in Batman, not jokers in general. I assumed it was my mistake, but I just looked back at the R1 chat and the apostrophe was originally at the end, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

joker's'ss's'
from R1-R5:
joker's
jokers'
jokers's
jokers''ss
jokerssss's''ss''s

Me walking into the Joker Ship for the first time like

tenor.gif

OK, serious talk: This is the first time I've ever hosted a mafia or mafia-like game that finished, so I'm very glad that people had fun! I don't have a great sense of how enjoyable the MU game was because I wasn't there and it's obviously quite hard to tell when everything's conducted in private, but my impression is that this rendition succeeded in being more competitive. Although the Red Team picked up an early lead and hung onto it until the end of the game, there were plenty of occasions when the tide could have turned - particularly RNP's attempt at the end of the game to trick everyone into thinking he was still the Leprechaun, which was a spirited effort and deserved to succeed.

I think the lack of private communication was probably the most important thing contributing to that, but holy shit it did not go so smoothly. Almost everyone ended up letting something slip at one point or another in the role/colour-sharing PMs, and in the middle of Round 2 I basically just gave up enforcing it for all but the most egregious violations. Part of the problem there might be that the no-private-communication rule was instituted in the middle of signups - I restated it in the rules at the top of this thread, but I didn't call to attention the fact that they had changed from the signup thread, which I probably ought to have done. The terminology probably didn't help either; I tried to phrase the rules to avoid any mention of physical "cards", but what actually happened was that several people who'd looked up strategies and stuff from the original game started using the card metaphor anyway, which produced more confusion than if I'd just copy-pasted stuff from the rulebook. Ah well.

I think both of those problems could be mitigated if colour/role shares were mediated by the GM (so that, for example, you could just type "Revealing colour to such-and-such" in the chat and the colour would be sent straight to the recipient). I don't think that would have been practical for me to do that manually, since I can't be online 24/7 - in fact, I considered it before the game and rejected it for just that reason - but it might be possible with a bot or something that could keep an eye on the thread and automatically distribute reveals, without needing to rely on fuzzy concepts like "did this person really agree to a share" or "did we remember to notify the main thread" or even "which bit of my role PM am I meant to be copy-pasting again".

Finally, I don't think the setup was quite as balanced as it could have been. I put a lot of effort into ensuring the Nuclear Tyrant was well matched with the teams by introducing the Leprechaun, MI6 and the Fools to disguise their identity, but Seshas was unfortunate enough to be unmasked very quickly, and I realised that I had made a mistake by enabling all the third parties to align themselves with either team. With 2/3 of the Greys helping the Reds and the other not doing much, it was possibly a little harder than it should have been for Blue to claw their way back. I think that if we were to run another game, it would be a good idea to either reduce the number of third parties or use some third parties that are natural allies of one particular team, like Moby Dick or the President's Wife.

Aaaaand that's all I've got! ...possibly I've put a little bit too much thought into this, ahahaha. :P

agree with a lot of that! i really enjoyed this game, and i would like to think that i enjoyed it for more reasons than just winning :p definitely understandable that having all of the shares GM enforced would be waaaaay too much work, but if a bot was able to do it that would probably help avoid some of the fuzziness (i remember being freaked out by Ysabel's shy guy claim bc "wait didnt she technically offer to trade would she have been allowed to do that even if VM never agreed aaa idk" lmao)

i think part of the skewiness of this game also came down to a bit of luck: if hydre and i hadnt both been sent to a predominantly red-aligned room D2, i wouldnt have been able to publicly coerce a roleclaim out of them. sort of a coincedence that i happened to be one of the people with the most concrete information on him at that moment in time *shrug*

i think natural ally third parties would be a great addition! idk how those roles that you suggested would normally work, but i would imagine it would be really cool if there were two gray players that were each secretly aligned with one team or the other, but couldn't reveal (another layer of spy confusion!)

at the end of the day tho, big shoutout to koko for doing a great job!

(speaking of bots, i feel like this game could work reaaaly well on discord as maybe a slightly faster-paced variant?)

...a third party that's aligned with a team is just a part of that team

Reactions: Ys_
Mahah I was the first to say Seshas could be the NT but I was mostly just saying so people would be wary of sharing xD since Seshas seemed to be in control. well played though. And yeah, I shouldn't have boldclaimed in-thread. My wording on round 1 was 'want to share with me' and I meant 'do you want to one-side share with me' , but I wasn't super clear on the difference (I did ask koko.. But yeah, the wording may have been ambiguous)

Mahah I was the first to say Seshas could be the NT but I was mostly just saying so people would be wary of sharing xD since Seshas seemed to be in control. well played though. And yeah, I shouldn't have boldclaimed in-thread. My wording on round 1 was 'want to share with me' and I meant 'do you want to one-side share with me' , but I wasn't super clear on the difference (I did ask koko.. But yeah, the wording may have been ambiguous)
yeah, in retrospect it totally makes sense! probably wouldn’t have been as confused if VM had responded D1 bc then there would have been elaboration

What does an ambassador do?
according to the thing i read, an ambassador must reveal their role/color to everyone at the start of the game, and then is a member of both rooms for the entire game

if theres one of each color tho, lots of misinformation could spread :p

• Wow
Role sharing with Mr Ultracool in round 2 was the worst decision I ever made, which meant a role share with the leprachan but i didn't know that red was the leprachan

Btw @Mistyx why the sad react

Back
Top Bottom