• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Viking/Finnish Metal

Salazard

Nyom Nyom Nyom
Anyone else think it's fucking awesome?

I'm talking about bands like Korpiklaani, Ensiferum, Tyr, Kevimetsan Druidi who sing in Finnish, and bands like Children of Bodom.

=]

Discuss. Now.

Tyr aren't Finnish, they're Faroese. I can also see you've been going to Paganfest and the like.

As with everything, some of it I like, some of it I don't.

LUMSK!

Lumsk.png

Also since when is viking metal a Finnish thing :V I thought it was pretty much all of Scandinavia.

cue obscure finnish sucky folk metal humppa band mentions :)

I like Moonsorrow and Wintersun the most.

edit I am forgetting fucking TURISAS

(and sonata and Nightwish but uhhh and also swallow the sun and lots of bands)

Last edited:
Oh yeah they are Faroese aren't they. xD And yes, I forgot to mention the Paganfest. Never been though. My guitarist has, and one of our songs is influenced by Sinklars Visa by Tyr. =]

i think my favourite finnish band is a pretty fat load of them but if it's alltime it's either Sonata Arctica or Nightwish, I go such a long way back with them. Sonata still blows me away every week when I listen to it.

but if we're talking viking/folk themed it's probably Turisas

I've always thought it funny that there's viking metal in finland despite a strong lack of viking (unless you count the periodic Swedish invasion during the pre-viking and viking age).

In other words, you forgot fucking Finntroll. This thread needs more vreth.
220px-Vreth_with_Finntroll_in_2006.jpg

Children of Bodom, Sonata Arctica, Nightwish, Wintersun, Stratovarius, Ensiferum... oh, hell with it, pretty much all Finnish metal bands are BEYOND EPIC!

I've been digging Turisas a lot recently.
I was lying in bed listening to my library on shuffle the other night, and Five Hundred and One came on. I didn't realise what it was until 40 seconds in when it suddenly got heavy. Really annoyed me because I was enjoying it so much, but it was good enough that it got me to start listening to the band more.

Anyway, as far as more "ordinary" Finnish music goes, Sonata Arctica will always win it for me. Finland used to be my favourite country for music but now it's probably Sweden.

I can't believe I fucking forgot Battlelore.

Battlelore+tlagroup122.jpg

Excellent band. Sword's Song is, in my opinion, the best folk metal album of all time. (Well, so far.)

Children of Bodom suck, and Kivimetsän Druidi are weird, but folk metal is totally my thing. The majority of the bands I listen to come from either Finland or Sweden.

I listen to this music constantly, and yet I don't really have anything productive to add to the conversation. Such a shame.

Ensiferum are teh shiz. :D
I lurve them so.
Surprisingly, nobody knows of them in Australia. Or at least where I live.
Incidentaly, does anybody know Dark Lunacy? They aren't Finish, they are German, but no one I know knows of them... T.T

Back
Top Bottom