• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Website Pet Hates

• “<em> is more semantic than <i>, therefore I will insert <em> whenever I want to italicize text”
  • “Table‐based layouts are bad, so I will use CSS and <ul> to markup this tabular data”
  • <meta http-equiv="Content-type" content="application/xhtml+xml;charset=UTF-8" />

Sites which go down, and then their admins don't bother telling anyone what's going on or when it's coming back, even promising to have it up "this afternoon" for over a month.

And I'm tempted to say sites which are slapped together and frankly no good at all, but the owner refuses to take any advice to improve it which is put forward in their Advertising threads. However in my experience these threads often become a source of much amusement.

Above all, registration. Registration should be abolished for virtually everything and replaced by automatic "account" creation, as was seen on AnonTalk, the only good Web site I've ever come across.

One minor thing that irks me (but that I don't really hate), though: Site names in the form of (pokemon)'s (place), where (pokemon) is usually a legendary and (place) is either a generic landscape like island, forest, or lake or "Place" or "Page".

This, and things that follow your mouse. Background music doesn't bother me since I usually keep the volume muted.

People who group their affliates into stupid things like 'junior affliates' or something equally ridiculous. You should be affliated with another website because you like the site and want to be affliated with it, not because you want to feel superior over others and make them run around doing things so they can be affliated with you.

I really dislike animations, unless they're subtle and aren't of the 'character running' variety.

FAQ sections that have actually never been asked and are instead used as an extended 'about me' page.

Anything named 'The _____ of Doom', 'The Random ____', 'The _____ of Randomness', 'Randomosity', etc. Actually websites that just tend to say or suggest 'lol random'. Also websites that spout crap about Invader Zim, cheese, sporks, pie, (etc) and add 'random' or something at the end.

<meta http-equiv="Content-type" content="application/xhtml+xml;charset=UTF-8" />

It isn't always possible to add "content-type: application/xhtml+xml; charset=utf-8" to the headers. The alternative requires one to either restart the server or slow it down more than necessary.

Point?

It isn't always possible to add "content-type: application/xhtml+xml; charset=utf-8" to the headers. The alternative requires one to either restart the server or slow it down more than necessary.

Point?
If you can’t use the right content type in the header then you shouldn’t attempt to use the XHTML MIME type at all. When the headers say text/html, user agents will treat the page as HTML—no meta tag will change that.

I wouldn't say I hate them, but AAP sections are honestly ridiculous. They all deal with the same four or five sites, and they have ever since I first joined the fandom four years ago. All of those sites have long since been abandoned. Anyway, the real reason it's so absurd is that it's basically the equivalent of someone calling you a fag, and you writing an essay about your sexual history, eventually concluding with "Over time, I have displayed 96% heterosexual tendencies, which fits any reasonable definition of straight. Therefore, the 'fag' term does not apply to me, and you are factually incorrect."

It's like, stop wasting your time, they don't even give a shit.

about the only part of my site that I still like was the AAP section

this is because it consisted primarily of "Shut the fuck up."

I hate seeing a website lacking any organisation. When I go to a website, I like seeing a neat homepage showing what the site is about or some announcements. Then, I like to see the links in a handy little row or column, so the site is easy to navigate. I don't want to see some jumbled up mess of tables with a busy background and unreadable text, with images spewed everywhere. I also hate it when I go to a webpage and it starts opening blank pages in new tabs! And it just keeps going until I close the internet.

If you can’t use the right content type in the header then you shouldn’t attempt to use the XHTML MIME type at all. When the headers say text/html, user agents will treat the page as HTML—no meta tag will change that.

I guess...

I hate seeing a website lacking any organisation. When I go to a website, I like seeing a neat homepage showing what the site is about or some announcements. Then, I like to see the links in a handy little row or column, so the site is easy to navigate. I don't want to see some jumbled up mess of tables with a busy background and unreadable text, with images spewed everywhere. I also hate it when I go to a webpage and it starts opening blank pages in new tabs! And it just keeps going until I close the internet.

How do you close the internet?

Uck, I hate those things that follow the cursor around, blinking background, animated backgrounds and generally everything that makes the website slower.
And websites that are "the best evar!!!!!!111111" and have like one page of nothing.
And inside jokes. Oh my god, I hate those. I go to a site and I see "-insert nonsense here- LOL JACKIE ILY". Honestly! Do ya have to make us feel left out? : P

I really hate those kinda snarky higher class, websites. Also some snide trolls on SPPf are starting to get on my nerves, and the mini-Raves. Oh the Mini-Raves, how I loathe them so...

Back
Top Bottom