• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

What are you reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh boy. I'm currently reading a lot. xD I can never read just one book, or resist a new book that looks good, even if I'm already reading a lot...

- Inkdeath by Cornelia Funke
- His Magesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik
- In Cold Blood by Truman Capote
- What They Always Tell Us by Martin Wilson
- Warriors The Power of Three: Sunrise by Erin Hunter

...Phew, that's a lot of books... xD; I was also reading Blood and Iron by Elizabeth Bear, but I decided to put this one off to the side for now and start it again when I'm reading less.

And in case you were wondering, In Cold Blood is for school; it's something that I don't think I would choose on my own, but it's not too bad so far.

i'll probably start frankenstein in the next few days. yay, summer reading..

i finished it about a half-hour ago. it was okay.. nothing spectacular. i didn't mind reading it.

i'll start beowulf later today. then i have some books with me that i may or may not read if i have time..

grendel, by john gardner
the plague, by albert camus
invitation to a beheading, by vladimir nabokov
gravity's rainbow, by thomas pynchon
as i lay dying, by william faulkner
wuthering heights, by emily bronte
the glass menagerie, by tennessee williams
animal farm, by george orwell
the canterbury tales, by geoffrey chaucer

then i still have eight fourteen or so books at home that i hope to finish by year's end.

edit: i bought more books when i went to goodwill. eep..

Last edited:
Reading/finishing:
Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell
Animal Farm by George Orwell
The Time Machine by H G Wells
The Sleeper Awakes by H G Wells

Orwell > Wells, but Wells' ideas are as good as Orwell (1984 is epic though, especially the ending)

I haven't been thoroughly absorbed into a book for a while now but I recently bought Doctor Who-Judgement of the Judoon by Colin Brake and met the author (who signed it for me) and now I can't stop reading. The characters are fun, the setting realistic and a great relationship between the Doctor and the Judoon Commander.
9781846076398.jpg

I'm actively reading three books:

A Wind in the Door by Madeline L'engle
Silverwing by Kenneth Oppel
Into the Wild by Erin Hunter

I'm also occasionally reading from Death by Black Hole by Niel De'Grasse Tyson. God I love this guy's sense of humor.

This is summer reading but it's good summer reading:

The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien. Almost done, and it's pretty good.
AD 62: Pompeii by Rebecca East. Pretty good book.

Oh I LOVE that book. <3 Make that the whole series.

Me too <3 Including the prequel, Darkwing.

Firewing made me cry ;_;

Anyways, I've finished A Wind in the Door and moved on to A Swiftly Tilting Planet.

Cookies to whoever finds the reference to it!

Let's see how much I get flamed for this. xD

Breaking Dawn, by Stephenie Meyer

And I actually love it. I'm dead serious.

I liked Breaking Dawn also. The movie for it is going to be rated X or something.

Anyways, I've finished A Wind in the Door and moved on to A Swiftly Tilting Planet.

Cookies to whoever finds the reference to it!
Those are all related to A Wrinkle in Time, if thats what you were talking about.

I'm still reading Huck Finn. It finally got interesting when the Carpet Baggers came into the story. And I also want to punch Tom Sawyer for making every thing so stinkin complicated for them, while trying to rescue Jim.

PAWN of PROPHECY
Hooray for the used bookstore :)) I picked up eight (8!) books for my vacation. Because if I'm not reading, I'm eating, and if you snack on a cruise ship you get FAT. The chubtub lifestyle is not for me!!!

I liked Breaking Dawn also. The movie for it is going to be rated X or something.

Those are all related to A Wrinkle in Time, if thats what you were talking about.

I'm still reading Huck Finn. It finally got interesting when the Carpet Baggers came into the story. And I also want to punch Tom Sawyer for making every thing so stinkin complicated for them, while trying to rescue Jim.

HOW CAN YOU LIKE BOTH HUCK FINN AND TWILIGHT

THEY ARE DIRECT OPPOSITES ON THE SCALE OF AWESOME

The Mummy/Ramses The Damned by Anne Rice.
Interview With The Vampire by Anne Rice
Guenevere, Queen of the Summer Country by Rosalind Miles.
Queen: The Definitive Biography by Laura Jackson.
Fantasy Lover by Sherrilyn Kenyon.

That's all, actually.

Glad to report that Watchen is indeed as awesome as everyone says it is. Holy shit there's so much to it. It actually got me back into reading, a habit I had fallen out of for years. Even the movie was pretty good (though almost impossible to get into unless you've read Watchmen or have a tolerance for very, very slow pacing)

Anyway, I've moved on to Slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut Jr. It seems to be a very quick read. Vonnegut's writing style is...weird. It's very simplistic and has a tendency to point out the obvious, but god dammit, it works so well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom