• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

What to watch?

Having just finished watching Fruits Basket (which is really good :3), I'm at a loss concerning what Anime I should watch yet. So I decided to come to you guys :D

Typically, I'm more of a fan of twisty plots (which is probably why I love visual novel games), although I also like humourous stuff too. Of course, it's no good if I don't tell you what I've seen already, is it?
So yeah, the list-
Anime that I like
Lucky star
Death Note
Azumanga Daioh
.hack//sign
Elfen Lied
Bleach
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Chobits
Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni
Fruits Basket
Deltora Quest (I don't expect anyone to have heard of this though xD)
Jigoku Shoujo
I've probably gone and forgotten something off of this list, but I'm sure it's big enough as it is already =P

Can't forget a list of stuff I don't like though, can I? I don't really need people to suggest this stuff when I've already tried it

Stuff I tried to watch but didn't like.
Trigun
Naruto
Neon Genesis Evangelion
One Piece
Excel Saga (although I like the intro)
Paranoia Agent
Ouran High School Host Club
That should be enough information, right? Okay, fire away :D

.hack//Roots
Fullmetal Alchemist
Bo-BoBo BoBoBo-Bo
FLCL (this is probably too short to last you very long, but still)
Rurouni Kenshin
D. Gray-Man

Seconding FMA and Kenshin.

Keroro Gunsou is pretty funny/weird; for the first season or so there's not much plot besides "random failed world domination attempt of the episode", but it's still entertaining. Not sure how you'll feel about it based on your suggestions, but I'm putting it out there.

You're asking for anime and not manga, but if you like Fruits Basket I recommend DNAngel. (There is an anime of DNAngel, but the only thing it really did right was the music. The manga is infinitely better and has amazing artwork.) It has more of a fantasy element than Fruits Basket and is a bit more focused on romance, but they're both about people with interesting family curses. I dunno, I liked them both around the same time. :V

Took a look at a couple of the suggestions.
FCLC is insanely weird o.o
I like the visuals, and these are some of the most expressive Anime character I've seen, but I've watched an episode and a bit (Internet crapped out halfway through it and I couldn't be bothered finishing) and there doesn't seem to be much of a plot yet. Hopefully it'll develop soon. (However, I must add that the three main characters are very interesting and amusing to watch)

Um, I also looked at //Roots, but it seems to suffer from the lack of stuff happening that plagued //sign, but I haven't been hooked like I was with the other. Tell me it gets more interesting D:

I've been putting off watching FMA, because it's one of those series that everyone talks about all the time, but after three recommendations I couldn't exactly say no xD
It's interesting so far, but I couldn't finish the second episode, because the guy who uploaded it screwed up completely. He also happened to be the only guy who had it uploaded on Youtube. I would have watched it on a different site, but Youtube is the only video player that my laptop can handle (It's so -fricking- bad, it's unbelievable). This is also the reason that I didn't look at Narutaru. It sounds good, but I doubt I can find it anywhere on Youtube xD
Maybe tomorrow when I have access to my Desktop again.

(I've always liked DNAngel's name. Is the Anime really that bad :o?)

(I've always liked DNAngel's name. Is the Anime really that bad :o?)

It takes the original story and changes it, rushes into introduce all the characters and in the process ruins some awesome parts of the story (Krad's and Toto's first appearances :C), then is pretty much nothing but fillers until episode 17 or so, where they do one arc from the manga and then wrap it up with this weird ending they made up for the anime since the manga is still ongoing. They also somehow managed to make some of the characters completely one-dimensional and boring.

Don't get me wrong, it's not horrible, but I wouldn't recommend a person who's interested in the series start with the anime. It's more something to watch after you've read a lot of the manga and just want to see the characters animated.

It does have excellent music, though.

Last edited:
Um, I also looked at //Roots, but it seems to suffer from the lack of stuff happening that plagued //sign, but I haven't been hooked like I was with the other. Tell me it gets more interesting D:

It does. But don't keep watching if you're expecting, like, a fight to break out every other episode. A bit better than Sign, IMO, and I rather liked Sign.

Have you seen Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai? Rei?

I loved a more obscure anime called Mnemosyne (Mnemosyne no Musumetachi, or something like that). Reminded me of Elfen Lied in it's gratuitous violence and nudity, and an interesting story and characters. It's short (six 45-minute episodes), and more adult than Elfen Lied, though. It's plot should be sufficiently complex.

Hidamari Sketch is an awful lot like Lucky Star, but with more, eh, down-to-earth humor, without too many pop culture references. The manga is a 4-koma like Azumanga Daioh. The show itself is great, funny but moving at a more leisurely pace. Also check out the anime, licenced under the name Sunshine Sketch.

Sketchbook ~full color's~ is very similar to Hidamari Sketch, though with one main character instead of four. See above, though it's even more slow-paced than Hidamari Sketch.

Aria, the anime and the manga, is really mellow, relaxing, and such. Funny too. There's no real plot and next to no real character conflict, but I think that's what really sets it apart. Read the manga before checking out the anime, though, because the manga has very beautiful art and expands on the characters more.

I am seconding Rurouni Kenshin, Black Jack, and FMA.

...but it seems to suffer from the lack of stuff happening that plagued //sign...

I...don't quite...understand what you mean by that. :/

Roots is pretty much to the GU games as SIGN was to the original .hack series: a prelude. Though I unfortunately have yet to see all of SIGN, the two are more or less the same as far as the actual structure is concerned, only all the Tsukasa angst is replaced with Haseo angst, which is less symbolic and more irritating overall, but it actually goes somewhere in the end. If you're looking for action, there unfortunately aren't any Guardians or even Sora (weeeell, not in the way you're used to...) to help in that department, but there is considerably more fighting in the later episodes.

If you liked Azumanga, I'd recommend a similar (not as good, but along the same lines and even more crazy) anime called Gokujou Seitokai, which is about a high-school anime that just makes you feel all happy. I think it's been dubbed under the (god-awful) name of Best Student Council or something, but while I'm certainly not a purist, I think a subbed Japanese version would be better.

And if you like anything murder-mystery-ish, I can't recommend Detective Conan (possibly called Case Closed, but I think that's just the translated manga title) enough. It's so, so much fun :D

i haven't sat down to watch an anime since... november, when i decided to re-watch evangelion. i am in no way an authority on anime or anything; i just know what i like.

anyway, some series i enjoyed include emma, a series about a victorian-era maid who falls in love with an aristocrat, and sugar sugar rune, a magical girl series about two ten-year-old best friends who both compete to become the queen of the magical world, which only one can have. neither series is particularly exciting, at least not in the sense that they move quickly like lucky star or azumanga. they do have great art, good characters and likable plots. i recommend them if you like magical girls or... period films?

Anime is as a rule pretty shit but some I personally enjoyed (and think you might as well) are School Rumble, Monster and maybe Kyouran Kazoku Nikki. Maybe. Kindaichi Case Files is another very decent one (and I personally think it's superior to Case Closed/Conan in every way).

My best tip would really be to not watch much anime though :v

Stopped watching anime on TV a while ago, though...

Vladimir Lenin's LJ said:
My best tip would really be to not watch much anime though :v
My advice would be to not try and dissuade people who watch anime from watching a lot of anime. It's not because I love it, it's not because it's mean. It's because that doesn't really do anything at all. Folks are stubborn like that...

Not trying to start anything, please don't hurt me. >_<

All the people I've met so-far who watch a lot of anime turn into socially-awkward fucks with no conversation and who hang shit like anime wallscrolls in their house. In public.
Just trying to help.

Back
Top Bottom