• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Why do people think it ok to not know math?

granted there are always things that some people are good at and some people are just bad at, but I still have to wonder how much of this is caused by a bad foundation

it is very hard for me to accept that a large number of people are inherently incapable of grasping a field built entirely upon logic

I guess if your future job is working at home depot

wait no lol there's math there too
Some of us are less logical than others. I, for example, am very unlogical. Thus, math does not mesh with me.

Calculator. In Home Depot, there's the computer! And it does the calculations for you. So then I don't have to think about the evil math.

Provided, just because I suck at math, doesn't mean I'm completely worthless. I can do some VERY basic math and I never said there were no jobs were I didn't have to do NO math at all. I was talking about Geometry and Trig and that stuff. I know that you'll always need to do some addition and multiplication and what not.

Last edited:
Vee really is right. Mathematics is the most structurally rigid thing to learn. It depends on lots and lots of practicing, and loads of people are too lazy or unwilling to put the time in.

I was talking about Geometry and Trig and that stuff. I know that you'll always need to do some addition and multiplication and what not.

I get trigonometry, but why the hell are you grouping geometry with it? Basic geometry, ie. the kind of thing you'd learn around 7th/8th grade is like "side a times side b equals area". Seriously.

But French has a practical use :S you can't possibly use that as an argument.
French is far less practical than, say, Chinese or English.

If it upsets you that much to see the French insulted, I won't use it as part of my argument mmkay?

I get trigonometry, but why the hell are you grouping geometry with it? Basic geometry, ie. the kind of thing you'd learn around 7th/8th grade is like "side a times side b equals area". Seriously.
...I must be immensely behind then, because I'm learning it in 11th grade.

Also, I find some of what I'm learning in Geometry to be rather pointless for later in life, but eh, what do I know? I'm just saying that I find both Trig and Geometry pointless to learn, which was why I grouped them together. But feel free to disagree with me.

you know what the problem is

you fucks complain about solving quadratic equations which is kiddy stuff compared to solving differential equations

...I must be immensely behind then, because I'm learning it in 11th grade.

oh god what

the past few days have shattered my opinion of the US and UK maths syllabus :( what the hell guys get your acts together >:(

oh god what

the past few days have shattered my opinion of the US and UK maths syllabus :( what the hell guys get your acts together >:(
Oh no, no, opaltiger. I'm just really behind. I'm two years behind in math. Most people of my grade level are ahead of me. I told you, I suck at math.

Everyone is behind on maths, it's always like that. Good maths teaching requires consistent weekly practice. You don't learn maths unless you practice to death. It's really fucking boring to do, but it's the only way.

You learn maths the same way you learn to play tennis. Doing it often.

HEY HEY at least over here we don't just teach history entirely about our own's country's past. D:<

though i admit that we're shit at teaching foreign languages D:

You learn maths the same way you learn to play tennis. Doing it often.
This actually gives me less incentive to practice it. See, I have no more desire to learn maths than I do tennis, and I see little practical value for it in any of my likely career choices. If trying to become good at an art that I dislike and have no wish to be good at involves that much practice, then why bother to study beyond what's needed for an A or A* at GCSE?

7th/8th grade wtf
I learnt that in 4th grade

also why do people find most geometry hard
I can only think of 3D trig being a bastard but that's only untill you figure out where to start

HEY HEY at least over here we don't just teach history entirely about our own's country's past. D:<

Not if you go to hippie school.

And for the record, while I can't remember anything about differentials either, I seem to recall screwing those up less often than quadratic equation problems; I always preferred graphing almost any other way if it was at all possible. Although, given that we didn't get to spend too much time on differential equations, it could just be that we never got into the really tough stuff.

Soon French is going to be as dead as Latin.
And when it does, my classmates and I will be celebrating on the streets. Though we may have our differences, we are united by a common hatred of the French language.

though i admit that we're shit at teaching foreign languages D:

This actually gives me less incentive to practice it. See, I have no more desire to learn maths than I do tennis, and I see little practical value for it in any of my likely career choices. If trying to become good at an art that I dislike and have no wish to be good at involves that much practice, then why bother to study beyond what's needed for an A or A* at GCSE?

Pick a skill you like doing then. It's not just tennis, it's not just football. Learning maths is like any skill: you get good at it if you do it often. How good you can maximally get depends on your talent, but everyone can learn maths if they just put the effort into it.

French is far less practical than, say, Chinese or English.

If it upsets you that much to see the French insulted, I won't use it as part of my argument mmkay?

I'm significantly more likely to need French than Chinese, considering that, funnily enough, it is a lot easier to emigrate to dominantly French-speaking countries (see France, Switzerland, Luxembourg etc) than I am to fling myself half way around the world. I'm not insulted by you pretending that isn't practical, I'm irritated that you seem to have no grasp of the basic concept of

'LOTS OF COUNTRIES HAVE SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF FRANCOPHONES IN THEM'
'HOW MANY ... CHINESEOPHONES ARE THERE IN NOT-CHINA'
'UMMMMM'

If you can make me understand the sort of maths that I need to pass my GCSEs, then I will give you a free car. I bloody well want to understand the crap that they're feeding me, because my higher education is at stake.
Sounds more like you want to know it, but you want to avoid learning it as much as humanly possible.

You cannot well learn something you actively don't want to learn or believe you can't learn.

"Abstract" as in "needs actual human subjectivity".
We call that "subjective". Abstract means "not concrete".

A computer can do maths
You would be surprised.

Calculator. In Home Depot, there's the computer! And it does the calculations for you. So then I don't have to think about the evil math.
I guess if you carry a calculator with you while stocking shelves...

...and it's a TI-92 so it can do geometry too...

...and it can do spacial reasoning...

...and you know enough math to know how to use it effectively in the first place...

I was talking about Geometry and Trig and that stuff.
I would think that learning about shapes would be fairly useful on a higher level.

Also, I find some of what I'm learning in Geometry to be rather pointless for later in life, but eh, what do I know? I'm just saying that I find both Trig and Geometry pointless to learn, which was why I grouped them together.
Argh.

What the hell do you know about what knowledge you'll need later in life? Do you really think your job will only require you to know things taught in subjects with the same name as your profession? Are you oblivious to how much lines are blurring between fields as technology progresses and meshes information?

I don't understand how you can flat-out say "I only need to know X for the entire rest of my life".

Knowledge is inherently useful. At the very very least it is exercise for your brain. Beyond that it gives you an increasingly broad base from which to make decisions, solve problems, figure out when and what else to learn, and generally perceive the world. If you're lucky, you'll find ways to apply everything you know to make your life and work far easier and more productive... but you'll never know how to do so if you steadfastly refuse because you think you already know everything you'll "need" for the next 60 years.

What you "need" and what is useful are painfully different concepts, anyway.

you fucks complain about solving quadratic equations which is kiddy stuff compared to solving differential equations
Differential equations are fucking awesome. DiffEq was the best math class I'd taken in years.

And for the record, while I can't remember anything about differentials either, I seem to recall screwing those up less often than quadratic equation problems; I always preferred graphing almost any other way if it was at all possible. Although, given that we didn't get to spend too much time on differential equations, it could just be that we never got into the really tough stuff.
Short of cases where you can merely integrate both sides, I somewhat doubt you've brushed over differential equations at 19. o.O

Good maths teaching requires consistent weekly practice. You don't learn maths unless you practice to death. It's really fucking boring to do, but it's the only way.
If your primary method of learning a logically-founded discipline is to beat it into your head, you are Doing It Wrong.

And when it does, my classmates and I will be celebrating on the streets. Though we may have our differences, we are united by a common hatred of the French language.
Except that they will teach it alongside Latin and Greek!

Short of cases where you can merely integrate both sides, I somewhat doubt you've brushed over differential equations at 19. o.O

No, we didn't do a lot at all; just a few weeks of beginning calculus in senior year. But then again, hippie school doesn't exactly offer a huge variety of classes. What they do teach they teach extremely well, and they give pretty good introductions, at the very least, to what they can't cover in-depth for long periods of time, but I wasn't going to see a lot of that sort of thing until college.

aaah that was a bad explanation but whatever

And at this point I still probably won't see much, given I'm going to art school now.

She was in calc in high school like me, so we both did them at seventeen/eighteen, actually. Nothing exciting, mind, but the very basics of differentials we did cover.

Eevee said more or less what I was going to say (more or more, really), but for those of you who are curious and were spared the horror, the quadratic formula song, most of the variants I've heard are to the tune of "Pop Goes the Weasel," as in this video (if you can even tell what they're saying.)

Edit: Beeeaten. Also, whoever said that history is a worthless subject and should be thrown out... I cry. I don't even like history, but I think it's extremely important anyway. Understanding the patterns that have shaped human civilization over time is critical to preventing people from doing stupid things in the future, if it's at all possible.

Back
Top Bottom