• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Xbox/Xbox Game Troubleshooting

J.T.

wat
Yeah, I'm making a lot of boards here.

So I was playing Half-Life 2 and my brother and his friend come in saying "HEY WE GOTTA TEST OUT THESE AWESOME HEADPHONES". They called them Turtle Beach or something, said it let you hear things very clearly (like footsteps in Modern Warfare 2 across the map). So they start hooking it up while I'm playing, realize they'd need to pull the TV out to hook it up, give up, and unplug it all. This whole time they're doing it, I'd become aware that the audio was a bit... off. Subtitles would pop up but characters wouldn't speak, and the sound of my shots would play about a second after I'd already shot. Nothing that sounded like a big deal.

I kept playing for a bit, then stopped. When I turned it on again, the Valve and Source logos wouldn't pop up at the beginning - there was just black. When I got to the main menu, no music would play. When I moved the cursor over Portal or Half-Life 2 Episode 2, the game would freeze completely. When I put two and two together and thought it must have been something with the headset, my brother told me it couldn't do anything to the Xbox. When he put in Modern Warfare 2 to try it, it worked fine.

Looking at the disc itself, it has a long circular scratch along the edge of the disc, almost along the entire circumference, which, aside from being pretty impressive, is something I'm certain I would've noticed when putting it in - and if I hadn't, it probably would have started hurting things earlier. My brother also has a habit of throwing game discs anywhere he finds convenient, but of course, he only applies this to the games I've bought. He insists this isn't a big deal because it's a "crappy $20 game". Funny, half his games are crappy $60 games. >.>

So what do you guys think? Is there anything I can do to fix it, or will I have to shell out for a new copy?

That's the result of your Xbox being moved/flipped while it's on. It needs to be stable (not vertical, preferably) or else that happens. The disc isn't salvageable.

Well, my brother did move the thing around a good bit while trying to get the Turtle Beach thing working. I guess it makes sense.

Man, I was having a friend over tomorrow, too. Brilliant timing.

Yeah, thats one of the most annoying things about the 360. It doesn't have anything that holds the disk in place while its running, so the disk rubs against the tray. Shouldn't be a problem with a Wii or PS3.

Yeah, thats one of the most annoying things about the 360. It doesn't have anything that holds the disk in place while its running, so the disk rubs against the tray. Shouldn't be a problem with a Wii or PS3.

Only if it gets moved while playing a game, or is left in the tower position. Wii and PS3 don't have that problem since Nintendo and Sony upgraded from disc drives to optical drives.

Back
Top Bottom