• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Your Top 10 albums of the 2000's

Ether's Bane

future Singaporean
Pronoun
he
With the decade drawing to a close, which 10 albums, in your opinion, were the best of the decade?

For me personally, and in no particular order:

Are You Dead Yet - Children of Bodom
Inhuman Rampage - DragonForce
Chinese Democracy - Guns n' Roses
Welcome to the Black Parade - My Chemical Romance
Colors - Between the Buried and Me
Light from Above - Black Tide
The Subliminal Verses - Slipknot
Annihilation of the Wicked - Nile
Ten Thousand Fists - Disturbed
Avenged Sevenfold - Avenged Sevenfold

picking a top 10 will probably be very difficult for me, but tentatively.. (this is actually in no particular order.)

daft punk, discovery
the avalanches, since i left you
deerhunter, microcastle
panda bear, person pitch
cat power, you are free
of montreal, hissing fauna, are you the destroyer?
the knife, silent shout
atlas sound, logos
grizzly bear, yellow house
liars, drum's not dead

i really hate having to write a list like this because i haven't gotten to experience as much music from this decade as i'd have liked. i spent more money on music from the 1960s to the 1990s than i have on current music.

i bet the list would look a lot different had i heard more songs from animal collective, arcade fire, black dice, broadcast, mew, and the strokes. other cool music from this decade includes yeah yeah yeahs, phoenix, m83, brian wilson's SMiLE (despite the fact that the majority of it was written in the '60s), the pains of being pure at heart, lcd soundsystem, no age, lotus plaza, cut copy, and the third portishead album.

the avalanches, since i left you
deerhunter, microcastle
panda bear, person pitch
of montreal, hissing fauna, are you the destroyer?
atlas sound, logos
good stuff.

1: radiohead - kid a
2: radiohead - in rainbows
3: panda bear - person pitch
4: arcade fire - funeral
5: animal collective - merriweather post pavilion
6: of montreal - hissing fauna, are you the destroyer?
7: sigur rós - með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust
8: the flaming lips - yoshimi battles the pink robots
9: wilco - yankee hotel foxtrot
10: girls - album

obviously I haven't heard even a tiny percentage of all the music released in this decade, so my list is very incomplete. but #1 is still the objective best album of the 2000s. just saying :\

Framing Armageddon: Something Wicked Part 1 - Iced Earth
Let There Be Blood - Exodus
United Abominations - Megadeth
Christ Illusion - Slayer
Somewhere In Time - Iron Maiden
Rust in Peace - Megadeth
Sacrament - Lamb of God
Youthanasia - Megadeth
Reign in Blood - Slayer
Seasons in the Abyss - Slayer

of the 2000s? hmm... this list will kind of suck because I don't listen to a huge variety of music, but... well, in no particular order:

Vital Remains - Dechristianize
3 Inches of Blood- Advance and Vanquish
The Protomen - The Protomen
Goatwhore - A Haunting Curse
Coheed & Cambria - In Keeping Secrets Of Silent Earth: 3
The Black Dahlia Murder - Deflorate
Amon Amarth - With Oden On Our Side
Amon Amarth - Twilight of the Thunder God

dude I don't even know.

Of the decade?

Opeth - Blackwater Park
Porcupine Tree - In Absentia
Kamelot - The Black Halo
Brand New - The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me
Katatonia - Last Fair Deal Gone Down
God is an Astronaut - All Is Violent, All Is Bright
Agalloch - Pale Folklore
Anathema - A Natural Disaster
Apocalyptica - Apocalyptica
Pain of Salvation - The Perfect Element, Part 1

And about a dozen more I can't think of right now (Blackfield - Blackfield II jumps to mind)

War Without End - Warbringer
Waking into Nightmares - Warbringer
The Formation of Damnation - Testament
The Atrocity Exhibitation... Exibit A - Exodus
Enter the Grave - Evile
Revelation - Armored Saint
Christ Illusion - Slayer (Current favorite at the moment :grin:)

...Yeah, there's 7. This decade wasn't that great for me. I guess I could add Death Magnetic, but it wasn't that great IMO. 2010 looks better to me...New Armored Saint AND Testament albums!

8: the flaming lips - yoshimi battles the pink robots

Yeeeeaaah.

Edit: Sod it. I don't expect anyone to agree with me, but...

1. The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
2. Snow Patrol - Eyes Open
3. U2 - All That You Can't Leave Behind
4. R.E.M. - Around the Sun
5. Barenaked Ladies - Maroon
6. Santana - Shaman
7. Kings of Leon - Only by the Night
8. Bjork - Medulla
9. Steve Winwood - Nine Lives
10. Portishead - Third

It's pathetic, but I blame my parents for most of these.

Last edited:
Can't be bothered to make a list (most music I like is from this decade), but Autumn's Altitude is one of my favorite albums ever, so I'm guessing it would take the number one spot.

I'll take Snow Patrol in there as well but the second half of the album has a few stinkers.

Death metal's my thing so most of these are fairly heavy. Also included a bit about why I love each one and a Youtube link in case anyone fancies checking out their music. Each and every one of these bands are fantastic and definitely deserve extra attention. So here we go... THE LIST:

Infected Disarray - Disseminating Obscenity
One of the most mental albums I have, sounds like a wild boar being torn apart by velociraptors while suffering an artillery barrage while remaining catchy and atmospheric. Definitely worth a look if you like really brutal metal.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJDldgpWOCw

Suffocation - Suffocation
All Suffocation's usual sexiness - technical riffs, evil melodies and crushing breakdowns. Awesome and catchy as hell.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6nrglujp1U

Immolation - Unholy Cult
Every Immolation album rules but this is the best this decade probably. Nice and heavy but with an almost black metalesque evil atmosphere, melodic, epic and with absolutely fantastic vocals/lyrics and guitar work.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL2B4nuth84

Akercocke - Words That Go Unspoken Deeds That Go Undone
Dark, progressive, evil, brutal and beautiful. Some absolutely fucking spine tingling moments on here. Fuck Opeth, Akercocke are the kings of progressive metal. tbh all their albums are great but this one sums up what it's all about.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlKAS12QXC0

Decapitated - Organic Hallucinosis
A lot of Decapitated fans hate this album because of the "hardcore vocals", whereas I think they sound awesome :D each to their own I suppose. These combined with a futuristic, bleak feeling, sharp production and insanely technical musicianship from guitarist Vogg and now sadly deceased drummer Vitek mean I highly recommend this album.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlOJYBpJ6Fg

Nile - Annihilation Of The Wicked
This is probably Nile's masterwork. Takes the atmospheric Egyptian themed tech death of their previous albums, ups the brutality a few notches, sharpens the song writing and lets fucking loose. Definitely gonna be a classic in the future.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twYDtssbAxc

Decrepit Birth - Diminishing Between Worlds
This album isn't really death metal to be honest, by this point Decrepit are so technical, melodic and progressive in their approach to the music it's mutated into something new. Still fantastic though. The band never seems to repeat a phrase yet the music stays catchy and never breaks down into a technical wankfest like similar bands (cough Necrophagist cough). Reminds me of Death's later stuff, great shit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwxj6ZpQEj4

Defeated Sanity - Psalms Of The Moribund
This album has one of the most brutal productions ever, as well as relentless blastbeats, sick riffs, slamming crushing breakdowns and a strange jazz influence which fits in ridiculously well with the music and sets them apart from other brutal death metal bands. Also one of the guitarists on this album is like 60 years old or something which is pretty impressive. :P
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7kxC9dj_-8

Ted Maul - White Label
This is probably one of the most original metal albums I've heard from this decade. Ted Maul mix death metal, hardcore and drum'n'bass (yes really) into a brutal froth that fits together so well, it's amazing not many people have tried it before. Their album's been pretty overlooked so far, which is a massive shame cos it's fantastic and they deserve to get a lot bigger than they are.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1xvlITtFX0

The Rotted - Get Dead Or Die Trying
Formerly known as Gorerotted, to go with their name change the Rotted have gone in an entirely new direction, blending hardcore with death metal to create a bleak, vicious and brutal sounding record that remains oddly catchy thanks to the expert songwriting and sharp production. Probably listened to this about a hundred times since it came out, amazing stuff.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CErDRofVx5s

whats with metalheads worshipping tech death out of that I only like Nile

guess I just don't get it

This is a tough one but if I must choose, then my top ten, in no particular order, are;

Iowa - Slipknot
Innerpartysystem - Innerpartysystem
Beyond the Horizon - People In Planes
Black Holes and Revelations - Muse
Fables From a Mayfly: What I Tell You Three Times Is True - Fair to Midland
Hail Destroyer - Cancer Bats
One-X - Three Days Grace
Hot Fuss - The Killers
By the Way - Red Hot Chili Peppers
The Cost - The Frames

Just depends on your taste really. Like I can't stand power metal but I know loads of people are really into it, just like plenty of people hate death metal and tech death stuff. Nile tend to be quite popular amongst people who don't like other more technical/brutal bands, probably because the whole Egyptian thing makes it a bit easier to latch onto than the other bands in the genre. I love loads of other stuff like thrash metal, black metal, hardcore other random bits and bobs from less heavy genres, but death metal is the thing that gets my heart going.

I really enjoyed that Nile track, but I have to agree with Altmer; I've never really been able to get into any kind of DM. :/

Just depends on your taste really. Like I can't stand power metal but I know loads of people are really into it, just like plenty of people hate death metal and tech death stuff. Nile tend to be quite popular amongst people who don't like other more technical/brutal bands, probably because the whole Egyptian thing makes it a bit easier to latch onto than the other bands in the genre. I love loads of other stuff like thrash metal, black metal, hardcore other random bits and bobs from less heavy genres, but death metal is the thing that gets my heart going.

I like some death metal but the really tech stuff is too chaotic for me

That's fair enough. I love some of the really technical mental shit, sounds so chaotic and intense, though some of it still gets a bit too much for me (can't get into Origin and Brain Drill and stuff like that). I still love old school stuff like Morbid Angel, Obituary, Entombed and the like, but the thread asked for albums from this decade, whereas most of the best old school death metal albums came out a while back.

Back
Top Bottom