• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Why do people dislike Americans?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We hate Americans because they're so prejudiced and judgemental. They're all the same. No redeeming qualities whatsoever. That's why we hate them. All of them. That, and the fact that they have no sense of humour.

In Ireland, the whole being too American was something that is frowned upon. There isn't a whole lot of hating, in my experience, just the blatant use of stereotypes (ALL Amercians are rude, ALL Americans are stupid, ALL Americans are fat, that last one actually being pretty funny, because Ireland has a higher percentage of Obese people than America,) but they're not limited to America. People I encounter, especially the kids in every school I've ever been to, believe every fucking stereotype there is, all Muslims are towelhead terrorists, all homosexuals are freakish and weird, all English people are arrogant and want to take over Ireland. In fact, England hate gets in the way of America hate over here. England is our America, its culture is seeping in pretty damn fast.

Yeah, I don't live very far from Coroxn and the above holds fairly true for the majority of people here, though, in my experience at least, the current generation of teenagers and young adults are rejecting a lot of these old ideas. Also, I feel the same way as Saith; I do not have anything against American people and I do not have anything against the American nation but I have serious problems with the American state as an institution.

I do not dislike Americans, but the rampant religionism in most of the US and the pervasive culture and patriotism among many people is quite distasteful to me. This is not to say that I dislike individual Americans, I have met plenty I do like! It's just that in the US, often people think the world revolves around the US, and that's just not an accurate way of thinking.

But all in all my problem is more with a government and a minority group of crazy superstitious religionists (who sadly have too much power) than it is with Americans themselves. Although I find the American notion of service horrendously irritating. The world's not a market! Peace and quiet is okay too.

Also, in restaurants I want to take my time to eat, thanks, and I don't need that much food! How much food is wasted in them is just beyond me. Apart from the food not even being that good. :/

I don't dislike Americans the people but the whole American mindset and the arrogance of thinking they are the best nation in the world just because they are the most powerful and influential. Also, historically the Americans have supported many wars and dictatorships that catered to their egoistic interests, in which more people died than in 11th September for example (note: not supporting Bin Laden here).

Wow, after reading this, and a lot of some of the things people posted here are so negative. I don't even want to quote them all.

I just really hoped people were better than to generalize the ENTIRE country like that. It makes me really sad, not to be an American, but to be human in that people think of others like that. Being proud of where you come from is hard when so many people have a blind hatred of it. I think everyone has a right to be proud of their home, and it leaves a deep hurt how rude and mean some people are about this.

It makes me rethink my plans to visit the UK someday, if I'm going to be treated that way I might as well stay home where people can dislike me because of who I am, not where I am from.

It makes me rethink my plans to visit the UK someday, if I'm going to be treated that way I might as well stay home where people can dislike me because of who I am, not where I am from.
So it's not okay for people to make blanket statements about people in the United States, yet you get to make a blanket statement about people in four countries? What's up with that?

I just really hoped people were better than to generalize the ENTIRE country like that. It makes me really sad, not to be an American, but to be human in that people think of others like that. Being proud of where you come from is hard when so many people have a blind hatred of it. I think everyone has a right to be proud of their home, and it leaves a deep hurt how rude and mean some people are about this.

Well I dislike USA the country (not the people) but I'm not proud of where I'm from either!

Wow, after reading this, and a lot of some of the things people posted here are so negative. I don't even want to quote them all.

have you ignored almost every single post in this thread which has basically just repeated the same thing over and over again? no-one has any beef with the American people, we just complain about the politics (and then, that's only if people are going to bring up politics in the first place).

I believe it's due to their arrogance when it comes to others and the number of political mishaps and wrong-doings...

Take this for example: http://www.prisonplanet.com/98651.html

Also US soldier mentality being all about making themselves feel good, hoorahing about everything, Inflating the American armies ego, etc.

have you ignored almost every single post in this thread which has basically just repeated the same thing over and over again? no-one has any beef with the American people, we just complain about the politics (and then, that's only if people are going to bring up politics in the first place).
She probably just paid attention to the most offensive comments and then assumed we were all like that.

Wow, really? I first said in the post I was responding to the negative comments... Was that not clear?

Also I did read thank you very much and I was listening. I was just stating a fact that there are people who would treat me badly because I am American, so why bother? A few members from a pokemon forum hardly represent an entire country now do they? I've been treated badly now on two forums because I am American. And fuck I'm not even patriotic. I just live here.

And your treatment of me hardly creates a feeling of welcome now does it?

And whoever mentioned my new aversion to visiting the UK, it's not just there. I need to clarify, I wasn't making a blanket statement, but I wouldn't want to go to a place where there are people who will hate me because of where I'm from.

You people are starting to become ass holes about this. Can a mod either close this or whatever? Because it seems to have become a hit on Phantom party, when I didn't make any insults, and I regret making it. And I would rather have good memories about this forum.

And whoever mentioned my new aversion to visiting the UK, it's not just there. I need to clarify, I wasn't making a blanket statement, but I wouldn't want to go to a place where there are people who will hate me because of where I'm from.

The problem is that there'll be people who hate on anything you'd like to list (Americans, Eurpoeans, homosexuals, women, men) no matter where you go. There's people who hates the US in the US.

I think a problem with rampaging nationalism in general is that the rampaging nationalists usually completely ignore, rationalize, or even try to justify the bad parts of their country. Since the US prides itself on its rampaging nationalism while most other not-as-hated countries (as far as I can tell and correct me if I'm wrong) don't, the US often gets a lot of hate for priding itself on being ignorant.

She probably just paid attention to the most offensive comments and then assumed we were all like that.
i.e. your post which was clearly a joke. :|

I've been treated badly now on two forums because I am American. And fuck I'm not even patriotic. I just live here.
you do realise that at least half this forum's membership is American?

Also US soldier mentality being all about making themselves feel good, hoorahing about everything, Inflating the American armies ego, etc.
sometimes I think this might not be such a bad thing. a little enthusiasm never hurt anyone.

it certainly annoys me that every damn English person feels the need to be so LOL EDGY and grumpy about our country all the bloody time. yes, there's plenty of stuff that needs fixing, but at the end of the day there are a lot of good things that are worth celebrating.

if we can't feel a little pride in national institutions like the NHS, then how can we be bothered to protect them from the Tories' bloodlust?

(also funny how we're the only part of the Union that's so self-deprecating - you'd never in a million years hear a Scots or a Welsh person criticising their countries so harshly)

i.e. your post which was clearly a joke. :|

I didn't take it as one. As I've learned earlier (as in somewhere else), sarcasm and written word don't always go together. Plus I have aspergers so I might be having a moment here, but that didn't seem like sarcasm. It looked serious to me.

you do realise that at least half this forum's membership is American?

You do realize there are forums other than this one?

You do realize there are forums other than this one?

Where have you been? x3 Because in my experience this is actually the most diverse forum I've ever been on. The book website Wands and Worlds, for instance, has - if I remember correctly - one person from Malaysia, one person from England currently living in Japan, only two Canadians that I can remember, and everyone else is American.

Being proud of where you come from is hard when so many people have a blind hatred of it. I think everyone has a right to be proud of their home, and it leaves a deep hurt how rude and mean some people are about this.

I never understood why anyone would be proud of where they're from. It's not like it's an achievement or anything. It's like being proud of being tall; good for you, but it's not like you put a lot of effort into it.

Don't get me wrong, there are lots of things I really like about the UK - for example, I'm proud of the BBC (lol), but I pay my license fee so I did put something into it :p

I didn't take it as one. As I've learned earlier (as in somewhere else), sarcasm and written word don't always go together. Plus I have aspergers so I might be having a moment here, but that didn't seem like sarcasm. It looked serious to me.
See, this is what I'm talking about! No sense of humour! Bloody Americans and their McDonald's and Coca-Cola and weird "football" and slavery and Starbucks and the Kool-Aid Man. I don't even know if Kool-Aid is American, but whatever, my point still stands!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom