• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Pokémon Basalt and Granite

Re: Pokémon Basalt and Granite

However, they grew up together, so it trusts it. Although it is not the original Trainer, it...

You know what? Who cares? N didn't beat any Gyms, but he had a freaking legendary Pokemon! So Gyms don't matter to NPCs!
N was an orphan raised by pokemon until Ghetsis took him in and only showed him pokemon that had been hurt by humans. His whole character is based around the fact that he's best friends with all the pokemon and they shouldn't be used as battle tools.

From what you've told us, Rose is the exact opposite!

She sees Pokemon as tools because a long time ago, they hurt her. From that point on, she saw them as disgraceful, but still recognized that they could be helpful, so they became tools in her mind.
helpful for what? the only two things you can use pokemon for is companionship (which is obviously a no-go here) and competition, so you can beat other people's pokemon or weaken and catch your own (which is also not happening). If she's so disgusted by pokemon, why does she then devote her life to going around battling pokemon? why doesn't she just not own any pokemon and go and become a doctor or something?

Honestly, her character would generally just be way more believable if she didn't have a level 89 pokemon that isn't hers and loves and obeys her for pretty much no reason, even though she doesn't love it back. Pokemon aren't stupid! I'm pretty sure if you were an asshole to your level 89 pokemon it would ditch you pretty fast. Every time we ask you something because Rose's character generally doesn't make a lot of sense, you change her slightly so she can still have this superpowered pokemon for some reason. Why is this so important? Then we don't have to go through the whole rigmarole of her stealing her father's pokemon (which, by the way, makes her even more like Silver) and she could get a pokemon through some other heartless means, like buying it from the Game Corner or stealing a Pokemon Egg or something.
Really, to any pokemon fan who's gonna play this game, having a rival with a level 89 pokemon is going to be really goddamn out of place, and they're probably going to have as many questions about it as we do here.

Because, she didn't want to, because she felt like it was glorifying them. I said that, I think. Don't hold me to that.

Maybe try being more open to suggestions, as your ideas obviosly need quite a bit of polishing? You should probably just rethink the whole rival thing from scratch, as now it doesn't really make much sense. Adding more stuff to the current idea isn't making it any better. :U

Honestly, if Rose didn't care for Pokemon, why would she want a Lvl. 89 Pokemon in the first place?

This sounds very interesting, and it seems like a great game, but Rose needs to be revamped, if not completely redone. By the way, what pokemon does Rose have? You could keep it at the high level if it only had one damaging attack, like how Magikarp learns Tackle, and the attack was fairly weak, or if it has low base stats like Sunkern(the weakest pokemon,period), or really a combination of both, unless your character is MEANT to lose against Rose, which would really help the plot and make more sense. And,how many pokemon do you have in your fake pokedex, and how many more do you need(I have plenty of awesome fakes you could put in the game)?

Well, mohac already said that you're meant to lose against Rose, but if you were bored enough to read through the sixtysome posts before yours you might get a better sense of what the deal with Rose is instead of me explaining it to you.

however it makes no sense and it would be a lot simpler if the whole concept for rose were just scrapped because it requires way too much explanation to be feasible in any way

You know what'd be cool? A Rival, who's the daughter/son of the Team Leader. No OP inherited Pokemon or anything, maybe even just a regular "starting of on their journey" like you. Maybe you grew up with them?

Definitely not named Rose, though. Maybe Dave

Silver is the son of the Team leader. Only revealed in the Celebi event, but still.

I always thought that a rival who did a Face-Heel turn.

The only thing about Rose is that you're asking too many questions that won't be incorporated in the game. If it needs an answer, I have one. It's not worth going through all these stupid details for no reason.

If it needs an answer, I have one. It's not worth going through all these stupid details for no reason.

You haven't been giving us substantial answers though. So far in my mind Rose still needs a ton of work since her current story and what not isn't really making sense.

And these "extra" details are crucial for good character development.

The only thing about Rose is that you're asking too many questions that won't be incorporated in the game. If it needs an answer, I have one. It's not worth going through all these stupid details for no reason.

Okay I wasn't gonna bother to post here before but since you asked me to help you, you get help.

First, the sentence I bolded above! This is a lazy and unimaginative way to think. To start, I'm going to link you to these [warning, Cracked] - one, two. A bit of course reading if you will?

Look at the articles I posted above - the people behind the movies mentioned, despite some of the things they included being a little over the top in places, included all these details nobody would see because they loved their project that much. The way you're treating your project, it looks like you don't want to tell a story - you want to get noticed. Now, there's nothing wrong with wanting people to notice you, but to sacrifice your art for that is not a good thing.

Second, you're acting a bit like a spoiled brat to all these people who are willing to help you with this. You don't have to follow everyone's advice, but look at what they're saying. That so many people think that this idea isn't a good one means it needs some work. So work, change, adapt, and don't stay stuck in your little comfort zone, refusing to listen or change.

No one is willing to help me, they're just asking questions about my characters. I have been listening, but most of the things they're suggesting just don't really fit into the story as well. To start over from scratch with even just her would to be trash weeks of planning. I will add other things, but I'm not starting from scratch. And no, I'm not trying to get noticed, because I actually had the whole thing planned out before I even started the thread. All I need is some people to help me add more Pokémon, and to help me make the game a game instead of an idea.

I doubt this 'Rose' character took weeks of planing, tbh. "Here is a girl. She's mean to Pokemon. She has a Pokemon (that is probably stupid and/or brainwashed judging from what you've told us) that is stupidly overleveled for no reason. She's the rival!"

And asking you questions IS helping you. These people are trying to get you to give them more information, and are in turn critiquing it for you. Critique is help. You are extremely lucky people have taken it upon themselves to critique you because there are people out there who beg for it and nobody listens.

Okay, okay. I'm going to take you under my wing and help you for a little while, if. IF. You can do these simple things:

1. Stop acting like we're all out to get you.
2. Change your ideas when they don't fit into the world you're trying to wedge them into.
3. Be a little less rude.

If you can do that, then I want you to write out a very, very simple outline of your plot. I can then crit it for you and offer ideas to improve. If you manage to progress well I may even offer my hand as an artist.

Can you do that?

I know I'm late to this but OH WELL

Characterization is good! The more details you add, the better they are! Even if it won't come into play, having extra answers for questions that could come up are good! If you do, it can help you add to your characterization by giving you character qualities you wouldn't have thought of otherwise.

And even if you don't, it'd probably be better to say, "Huh, I never thought about that! Give me a bit and I can give you an answer" rather than making up something on the spot which can lead to further questions (Which it kinda seems like you did).

(this actually reminds me to do some character-building for a story i'm doing, haha)

In addition to all that's already been said, it's the little things that separate a boring character from a great one.

Would N be such a good character if he was just some guy who liked pokemon? Would he be nearly as interesting if he didn't have his little quirks, like being incredibly math-minded and having trouble relating to humans?

A boring character is distracting and pointless. A great character lets players get much more immersed in the game.

People here are just trying to give you ideas to make your project the best it can be. You can pick and choose what you do or don't want to implement. Hell, no one is making you implement anything anyway. But at least show some respect.

Mohacastle, I'm willing to help you with this hack and so are most of these other people. If you tell us how many fakes you need, I'll PM you some of mine. I once made an entire pokedex of fakes I'd love for you to use, because I'll probably never do anything else with them.

Guys I know this is really super interesting to you but it actually seems really childish to nitpick at this kid's game that doesn't really affect any of your lives all that much.

Yes, Coloursfall. I can do that. Sorry if I'm being rude, but from my perspective, you guys are being a little rude too, no offense. I will try, though. I will PM you the basic outline.

Back
Top Bottom