• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Favorite board/tabletop games

Sandstone-Shadow

A chickadee in love with the sky
Pronoun
she/her
Any tabletop game fans here? My friend got me hooked on them, but I don't get many chances to play them.

Some of my favorites are cooperative games, one because they're really intense and sometimes frustrating, and two because I can kind of play by myself and it's still just as fun! So far I've played Forbidden Island/Desert, Pandemic, and Legendary (which is a deck-building game as well), and they're all just wonderfully addicting.

I also really like Smash Up and Legendary Showdown, and a particular favorite among my group of friends is One Night Ultimate Werewolf (which is basically Mafia but only one round of it, so it stays fresh and exciting).

What do you all play?

I like most games, really, as long as they leave some room for creativity and strategy. One Night Werewolf is hilarious, although I'm terrible at it because I'm a bad liar. Forbidden Island and Pandemic are alright, but a bit too random for my liking. I think I'm also too competitive to really enjoy cooperative games, haha.

Settlers of Catan is pretty great! There are multiple viable strategies, which is always a plus, and it really encourages you to interact with the other players too.

I think my favorite board game is Dominion. It's like a trading card game except everyone's on equal footing. It really lets you experiment with different playstyles, too!

I don't have any except the usual stuff that's terrible (eg Monopoly). I don't really have many people to play with; my sister's not into the same things I am, and my friends live too far away. Plus, they're usually quite expensive, so I can't afford them.

You guys have any recommendations that are both relatively cheap and super fun with just two players?

ayyy ILS have you ever tried bananagrams? it's kinda like scrabble without letter points or a board plus a timer. it's pretty fun once you get how it works!

idk about price tho, i'm not good at finding stuff online or understanding how much is too much. but it seems to be ~$14 in the states

Magic: the Gathering is always and forever my favorite game. <3 (Super fun with just two players per ILS' question, but noooooot relatively cheap.)

I've played a pretty wide selection of board games, but I don't often get the opportunity to play them more than once or twice, so I haven't had a lot of chance to develop particular favorites. Recently I've had a lot of fun with Codenames, which is more a party-style word game. Coup is another favorite. I enjoy real-life Mafia, too. There are loads of other games I've played and enjoyed, but outside of Magic I don't think there are any that I get a particular itch to play. Which is unfortunate, because even with a low player requirement I can rarely find an opponent. =/

Magic: the Gathering is always and forever my favorite game. <3 (Super fun with just two players per ILS' question, but noooooot relatively cheap.)

I've played a pretty wide selection of board games, but I don't often get the opportunity to play them more than once or twice, so I haven't had a lot of chance to develop particular favorites. Recently I've had a lot of fun with Codenames, which is more a party-style word game. Coup is another favorite. I enjoy real-life Mafia, too. There are loads of other games I've played and enjoyed, but outside of Magic I don't think there are any that I get a particular itch to play. Which is unfortunate, because even with a low player requirement I can rarely find an opponent. =/
Ohh! If you're still doing that travel-the-world thing you were gonna do, and you end up in Stockholm somehow, we should totally play Magic. I'm not very good at it, but maybe it'd still be fun. My deadliest deck has several copies of Swamp, the best card!

Cards Against Humanity, Apples to Apples, Risk, Pokemon TCG, and Dungeons & Dragons.

Last edited:
Clue and Dungeons and Dragons are good if you have several people to play with. D&D would require at least some scheduling for multiple 'episodes'.

@ Kung Fu Ferret: Which edition of D&D?

Ohh! If you're still doing that travel-the-world thing you were gonna do, and you end up in Stockholm somehow, we should totally play Magic. I'm not very good at it, but maybe it'd still be fun. My deadliest deck has several copies of Swamp, the best card!
I'm definitely still doing that and will 99% be visiting Stockholm, so consider it a date!

I've only ever played it online rather than on an actual tabletop, but, Cards Against Humanity is boss. I also have a couple Pokémon TCG decks, but, well, my brother gets all the good pulls. (And I still kick his ass frequently, but.)

There's also one I've played recently but I can't remember what it's called. And it's... more than a little tricky to explain without getting long-winded. In case anybody else's familiar with it, it's this one that's played with a deck of cards that have abstract imagery on them and all? And when I first encountered it my reaction was "so, it's CAH, except with meaning?"

Clue and Dungeons and Dragons are good if you have several people to play with. D&D would require at least some scheduling for multiple 'episodes'.

@ Kung Fu Ferret: Which edition of D&D?

I haven't played in eons, so I don't know.

EDIT: The DM was so random, in a hilarious way.

There's also one I've played recently but I can't remember what it's called. And it's... more than a little tricky to explain without getting long-winded. In case anybody else's familiar with it, it's this one that's played with a deck of cards that have abstract imagery on them and all? And when I first encountered it my reaction was "so, it's CAH, except with meaning?"
Dixit, I think.

I will play anything so long as I have some sort of agency. Some of my friends really like games like Tales of the Arabian Nights but those drive me crazy because no matter what I do I can't actually progress. Also they last forever. (Once I played the Android boardgame. Never again.) Some games manage to blend theme and strategy really well - Fury of Dracula does, if in a slightly long-winded way, as does Battlestar Galactica - but in general I'll take strategy over theme any day. I'm a big fan of worker-placement, so long as it isn't Agricola. Tzolk'in is great. Castles of Burgundy is great. Suburbia is great.

Obviously Dominion is great, if only for inventing deck-building games. I will play most deck-building games, especially if they are Japanese train-themed. (The imaginatively named Trains.)

On the other hand I have a huge weakness for pretty games. 7 Wonders is gorgeous and got me into board games to begin with. A lot of smaller games are very pretty, like Masquerade, so I will play those even though I'm not a huge fan of that kind of hidden-roles game (I get bored of Coup/Ultimate Werewolf/Resistance/etc after about two games).

Meanwhile I find a lot of co-op games kinda samey. They really rely on everyone being equally invested in the game, which basically never happens. Pandemic and Forbidden Island are basically the same game with different skins. I wish there was more diversity in co-op games!

And of course I have spent far too much money on X-Wing.

(I live in a flat with about 100 or so boardgames. It shows.)

(For those of you who can't afford too many games, I recommend you look into local game stores and see if any of them have weekly gaming sessions with their own games. I think a lot will. The UK is also seeing the rise of boardgame cafes, which are exactly what they sound like, and they're great too.)

I love board games! I studied them a bit at uni and me and my friends host games nights semi-regularly so I guess I know a couple of good games! this is actually a fun thing to talk about because I made a card game in uni with my friend that we're planning to eventually make into a game! It's called Weld Wars (well, right now it is, we'll probably change it) and you build a robot to beat up your opponent's robot!!! it's pretty heavily derived from MTG right now but we're probably going to make a lot of revisions.

\o/ I have been playing magic for something like a year and it's so good and I'm disappointed that it too me so long to get into it. MD is really bad at magic so have fun beating him

Coup is another favorite.
I try so hard to enjoy Coup but every time I play it's just kinda hard to wrap my head around but I guess it's because whenever I play my circle of friends is a bit excitable and we get distracted and don't play the game very well? I played a game of this with like 12 people. It was a disaster.

(I get bored of Coup/Ultimate Werewolf/Resistance/etc after about two games).
I feel like you should play saboteur, it's a fun game with hidden roles that's kinda different to Mafia/werewolf/etc because you can pretty easily fudge whether or not you're a bad guy and it depends less on your ability to blatantly lie? It also pairs fantastically with werewolf for a fun (?) game of sabo-wolf. Saboteur 2 is also a bit more versatile and interesting because you get a few more roles and a few more mechanics.

opal said:
Meanwhile I find a lot of co-op games kinda samey. They really rely on everyone being equally invested in the game, which basically never happens. Pandemic and Forbidden Island are basically the same game with different skins. I wish there was more diversity in co-op games!

forbidden island and pandemicpretty much are the same game I agree, but I love the design of them and I think they're so much fun to play. I guess it's a good formula so it's pretty easy for them to get a bit samey!

(For those of you who can't afford too many games, I recommend you look into local game stores and see if any of them have weekly gaming sessions with their own games. I think a lot will. The UK is also seeing the rise of boardgame cafes, which are exactly what they sound like, and they're great too.)
I strongly agree! support your local boardgame cafes! in fact, a lot of boardgame cafes tend to become havens for videogame players and they also tend to host a lot of smash bros/pokemon tournaments!!

MD said:
One Night Werewolf is hilarious, although I'm terrible at it because I'm a bad liar.
okay everyone i want to break everyone's projections of what kind of person MD is in real life and let me tell you he is not the whimsical, all-knowing, mysterious being you think he is (well, sometimes he is). MD is fantastically bad at werewolf because he's a really, really bad liar, especially if he thinks you know he's lying. I have won several games of werewolf by just asking him a lot if he's a werewolf and him be like 'what???? me?? a werewolf??? th-that's preposterous'

As for my likes and dislikes:

• I like the idea of Cards Against Humanity but I honestly can't enjoy it after playing it like two times, because after a while you've kind of seen all the funny cards and it's just not fun?? I think the Apples to Apples mechanic works way better if you're able to add new things and that you're not too heavily reliant on one particular theme - in Cards Against Humanity, it's Dirty Offensive Humour which is I guess funny the first time but it wears off fast! It's way more fun playing a card that's smart rather than a card that's a dead baby or something, but because it's CAH you end up playing to the lowest common denominator. I also feel like a lot of people think it's a great game to find out ~ how fucked up people are ~ when like, the cards are set. You're kind of forced to play terrible cards so how is it funny???
    I also feel like I'm very spoiled by the fact that we used to play apples to apples in #tcod (#leppa) which was incredibly fun and the fact that #leppa doesn't work anymore is the single greatest tragedy to ever befall my life.
  • I enjoy Settlers of Catan so much it's basically the parts I like about Age of Empires (building things and collecting resources) but competitive!!!! I also won my first game by accident. Also you can collect sheep 10/10
  • Saboteur and Saboteur 2 are very good!! However they're way, way more fun if you're actually the saboteur.
  • Werewolf rules and I enjoy playing most iterations of it. Ultimate Werewolf can be really hit and miss and it depends who you're playing with, sometimes it's not enough for me to just have one night phase and I enjoy the atmosphere that builds from several night phases more. I should actually play mafia here but I honestly never get around to it
  • Story War is a really neat game that I funded on kickstarter (also Vondell/Xikaze helped design it, if anyone remembers them). I don't recommend giving the creators any more money though, but you can download it as a free PDF. It's basically competitive storytelling but again you need the right people because it can devolve into competitive shouting.
  • Articulate is also a fun game if you're paired with a really good friend or you're a couple because then you beat everyone very easily and make everyone mad
  • Frog Juice is a really cute kid's game that my housemate has it's a really fun short game to play if you're at a games night and a big group of people are playing one game and you turned up late or something.
  • Two Rooms and a Boom is an excellent party game that's a little bit like Werewolf I guess? Everyone has a role and you have two rooms of people and a few teams. The teams have different win conditions based on who they're in the same room with (or who they're not in the same room with) at the end of the game. I'm pretty sure you can also download the rules of this game and play it with a standard deck of cards, but there is an official deck you can buy. The good thing about this game is that it's actually fun if you've got a few groups of people at a party who don't know each other super well.

I love board games! I studied them a bit at uni and me and my friends host games nights semi-regularly so I guess I know a couple of good games! this is actually a fun thing to talk about because I made a card game in uni with my friend that we're planning to eventually make into a game! It's called Weld Wars (well, right now it is, we'll probably change it) and you build a robot to beat up your opponent's robot!!! it's pretty heavily derived from MTG right now but we're probably going to make a lot of revisions.
Oh, nice! I've often toyed with designing a TCG (I just really want there to be a Pokémon TCG I think is actually good, okay), but I don't really have any friends who are that into the design aspect, so I wouldn't really be able to playtest or anything. Weld Wars looks like a cool idea, although yeah, I can definitely see the Magic parallels. XD

\o/ I have been playing magic for something like a year and it's so good and I'm disappointed that it too me so long to get into it. MD is really bad at magic so have fun beating him
Oh man, more Magic players! What kinds of decks do you like to play?

I like the idea of Cards Against Humanity but I honestly can't enjoy it after playing it like two times, because after a while you've kind of seen all the funny cards and it's just not fun?? I think the Apples to Apples mechanic works way better if you're able to add new things and that you're not too heavily reliant on one particular theme - in Cards Against Humanity, it's Dirty Offensive Humour which is I guess funny the first time but it wears off fast! It's way more fun playing a card that's smart rather than a card that's a dead baby or something, but because it's CAH you end up playing to the lowest common denominator. I also feel like a lot of people think it's a great game to find out ~ how fucked up people are ~ when like, the cards are set. You're kind of forced to play terrible cards so how is it funny???
omg I thought I was the only person who didn't care for CAH, but yes, all of this??? I mean, I think it's generally pretty funny for like 15-20 minutes, but the problem is that games... kind of... last for hours? Somehow? Is nobody else really bored here? It doesn't help that my sense of humor is some blend of "kind of strange" and "actually that's really offensive even for CAH, holy shit" that doesn't tend to work well with CAH, I guess... I tend to do better with Apples to Apples, and in my experience people are better about letting that game end when it's over. Although the most angry I've ever made someone about a board game was with Apples to Apples, not CAH, so probably I'm really just tone deaf with humor and should not be given any additional outlets to express that.

Mostly, though, I'm just tired of how popular this game. I have had to sit through it too many damn times. (Man, it felt good to get that off my chest.)

I saw an intro vid to magic and apparently there are decks shops give out for free. Is that true? Because then I'd totally get into it.

Also, I assume some of you have heard of Dvorak? (No link because mobile) It's like a card game where you can design absolutely anything using a very general structure. They aren't TCGs, though.

Back
Top Bottom