• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Forum Revival TV Tropes Mafia Revival - D7

Why did you support abstaining rather than lynching Odie-Pie at first, I don't quite understand?
I supported abstaining first because I think it may not be wise to kill off somebody who has a higher chance to be town than mafia – we know absolutely nothing about her and there are more townsfolk than mafiosi. But then again, if she doesn’t show up on d1 at all and nobody knows her outside of the site, might as well kill the inactive.

Also, you talked about a suspicion you were keeping under wraps in #254. Would you mind talking about that now or do you still want to keep it hidden?

Well… I didn’t want to say anything because my suspicion might not have passed through the mafiosi’s heads, and if it’s true and they find out, the player in question would be boned… Though now I have a better explanation for that, so I might as well say everything.

I thought that Seshas could be an infiltrator. As in, a non-mafia that had access to the mafia chatroom, or to parts of its log. That would explain their cryptic comments on the mafia pulling strings around. But now that I know of the existence of Mysterious Informants, I reckon it’s more likely that they’re one.

Also also, could you briefly describe your background with mafia, if you haven't already - I forget if you mentioned somewhere?

Took enough time until someone asked, lol. As some might’ve suspected, this is my first time playing Mafia. I mean, once upon a time, when I was like 12, I used to play a(n offline) game we called Detective which is quite possibly related to Mafia – it involved drawing cards (as in regular French deck playing cards) to determine roles and winking at people to kill them (if you’re a mafioso). There was no day/night mechanic, no special powers or gimmicks, no aliens and no GM, but there were mafiosi, detectives, innocents and sometimes doctors (who’d blow the dead a kiss to bring them back to life). It was very not mafia, but it was similar.

The more people go "wtf" at the post count, the more tempted I am to show off these postcounts after d1 in an 8-player game I played in recently (I'm bbt!)
WTF?! That’s more comments than about two thirds of the posts in r/all!

I thought that Seshas could be an infiltrator. As in, a non-mafia that had access to the mafia chatroom, or to parts of its log. That would explain their cryptic comments on the mafia pulling strings around. But now that I know of the existence of Mysterious Informants, I reckon it’s more likely that they’re one.
i am very interested in this theory.

for one thing, i think if seshas were town and had information about something like this, they would say it outright rather than beating around the bush. the coyness doesn’t protect them from the scum who already know what they’re talking about, it only makes things unclear for town. so i disagree that seshas is more likely to be a mysterious informant.

i have other reasons for being drawn to this idea, but voting seshas for now. i have a long drive tomorrow and need to sleep. will be inactive tomorrow until the evening. gn y’all

bruh Seshas is really obviously mysterious informant lol, those were the reasons I've been talking about all day

i don’t think it’s that obvious. obvious would be if they were forthright with their information—currently we know THEY know something, but not how, and they are intentionally cagey about revealing it. vaguely hinting at useful information does not smack of town to me.

Well, infiltrator is an interesting option. Ordinarily I would say that role doesn't strike me as Butterfree's style; I imagine it's been used in a couple games here before, but it's very rare.

On the other hand, there was a player who claimed essentially that plus, like, five other abilities in the previous game, so who knows? I dearly hope that if that role was real and not just an elaborate lie, Butterfree would not have chosen to reprise it, but maybe an infiltrator without all the . It doesn't seem likely to me that that's what Seshas' role is, but it is possible. And on that note, @Eifie, was what was up with Adriane's role something that you found out about? Because good lord.

But back to this game. I don't follow why Seshas would necessarily want to give up that they're an infiltrator right off if they were town? That's obviously a super powerful role, and one where you're going to get a ton more information if you keep quiet and go with the flow for a while. They would be making themselves a huge target if that was their claim, unless they were also immune to mafia kills. Unless the mafia were informed ahead of time that someone was watching them, I don't know why they would take Seshas' vagueing to mean that they had access to the mafia chat. Like, that sort of info isn't something you'd get as a standard inspector or something, but if I were mafia I don't think my mind would immediately jump to "I'm being watched" if I saw Seshas' statements.

on forums other than tcod people don't actually go claiming their roles d1 willy-nilly smh

he was also pretty forthright about it, he said it right away and has been solving based on it ever since. since he wasn't around for the last TV Tropes mafia where there were mysterious informants he has no reason to think mafia would be able to figure out his role from those comments

Seshas and IndigoEmmy are basically lock town imo

Haha, failed to finish a sentence. *an infiltrator without all the extra bells and whistles is a possibility.

Well, infiltrator is an interesting option. Ordinarily I would say that role doesn't strike me as Butterfree's style; I imagine it's been used in a couple games here before, but it's very rare.

On the other hand, there was a player who claimed essentially that plus, like, five other abilities in the previous game, so who knows? I dearly hope that if that role was real and not just an elaborate lie, Butterfree would not have chosen to reprise it, but maybe an infiltrator without all the . It doesn't seem likely to me that that's what Seshas' role is, but it is possible. And on that note, @Eifie, was what was up with Adriane's role something that you found out about? Because good lord.

But back to this game. I don't follow why Seshas would necessarily want to give up that they're an infiltrator right off if they were town? That's obviously a super powerful role, and one where you're going to get a ton more information if you keep quiet and go with the flow for a while. They would be making themselves a huge target if that was their claim, unless they were also immune to mafia kills. Unless the mafia were informed ahead of time that someone was watching them, I don't know why they would take Seshas' vagueing to mean that they had access to the mafia chat. Like, that sort of info isn't something you'd get as a standard inspector or something, but if I were mafia I don't think my mind would immediately jump to "I'm being watched" if I saw Seshas' statements.

pretty sure Adriane's claimed role was 99% bullshit but I don't know for sure

But back to this game. I don't follow why Seshas would necessarily want to give up that they're an infiltrator right off if they were town? That's obviously a super powerful role, and one where you're going to get a ton more information if you keep quiet and go with the flow for a while. They would be making themselves a huge target if that was their claim, unless they were also immune to mafia kills.
this is a fair analysis, but the alternate world is that they’re a mysterious informant who just has information about... something mafia related? and imo mentioning such a thing vaguely paints a bigger target than explaining it outright, as it provides scum incentive to kill them before they reveal more. so i don’t think their behavior really makes sense in that world either.

this is a fair analysis, but the alternate world is that they’re a mysterious informant who just has information about... something mafia related? and imo mentioning such a thing vaguely paints a bigger target than explaining it outright, as it provides scum incentive to kill them before they reveal more. so i don’t think their behavior really makes sense in that world either.

I mean... that's also pretty awesome because mysterious informants are basically vanilla and if mafia waste a kill on them out of fear that's a good thing.

this is why it's important for people to not just spill their entire roles!

he was also pretty forthright about it, he said it right away and has been solving based on it ever since. l
said what? he said he had information that suggested that the mafia were “pulling the strings behind the scenes.” i very much doubt that’s the extent of the information he received. am i missing a more illuminating post or something?

I mean... that's also pretty awesome because mysterious informants are basically vanilla and if mafia waste a kill on them out of fear that's a good thing.
i mean... for some value of good, in the sense that it doesn’t kill a power role, sure. but “mafia don’t kill a power role” is the most likely outcome of the scum night kill this early on anyway, and it costs useful information, so it hardly seems optimal.

I feel that Seshas' information is lacking in comparison to IndigoEmmy's, because with the latter, we got specific flavor about having two doctors, one sciencey and one magical. But then with Seshas, all he's revealed is that the mafia are "pulling strings", which seems a lot more vague in comparison? If I remember correctly, in the last game the Mysterious Informant information was more along the lines of IndigoEmmy's, where it gave something more concrete to work on. So I'm also kind of inclined to believe that maybe he's not giving us the whole thing?

I don't follow why Seshas would necessarily want to give up that they're an infiltrator right off if they were town? That's obviously a super powerful role, and one where you're going to get a ton more information if you keep quiet and go with the flow for a while. They would be making themselves a huge target if that was their claim, unless they were also immune to mafia kills. Unless the mafia were informed ahead of time that someone was watching them, I don't know why they would take Seshas' vagueing to mean that they had access to the mafia chat. Like, that sort of info isn't something you'd get as a standard inspector or something, but if I were mafia I don't think my mind would immediately jump to "I'm being watched" if I saw Seshas' statements.

I don't think that his behaviour indicated that he wanted to reveal his role, whatever that is – I mean, all he said was vague af. I don’t know, the informant thing was just a theory that I all but discarded when I learned that Mysterious Informants are a thing. It might as well be Epileptic Trees.

Most of the MI infobits are pretty vague/cryptic, so I could buy Seshas having gotten one that suggested that the flavor text was untrustworthy and which might have even said "the mafia are pulling strings behind the scenes" in so many words, and then not much more than that.

I could see it going either way. Providing that sort of vague info could be a sign that you know more or have ways of learning more, and the mafia would be wise to kill you. Or, because it's a pretty minor piece of info and it's not clear where it came from, the mafia might be willing to let it slide in favor of looking for known powerful roles. Really depends on who else they saw as potential targets, I'd say. I feel like people tend to be vague early in the game, and while I definitely raised an eyebrow over Seshas' posts, they didn't strike me as super mafia-indicative, either. I agree that vague hinty-hinting isn't the most town thing ever, but it also doesn't ping strongly non-town to me in this case, either.

i mean... for some value of good, in the sense that it doesn’t kill a power role, sure. but “mafia don’t kill a power role” is the most likely outcome of the scum night kill this early on anyway, and it costs useful information, so it hardly seems optimal.
baiting nightkills is a VT's ultimate goal in several communities including I'm pretty sure the one Seshas comes from

not that I think it's particularly relevant because idk if he was thinking this hard about it, my point is just that I really really strongly believe that being vague about one's role is not suspicious behavior.

Back
Top Bottom