• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Tarot Mafia

What a wild game hahaha. Congrats mafia, and thank you Von and Tofu for hosting!

Other town, I'm sorry - I feel like I should have been able to get there with the cards I was dealt, and it's on me that I didn't. I'd like to apologize particularly to Butterfree for not believing you until it was too late, and for actually having a small dog.

very sorry to everyone and especially to the mafia for completely checking out after d1 :’D
It's alright, you did what you needed to! Knowing when to do nothing is a valid skill as mafia.

Also, @Seshas, I have to know now, how is Mega Ampharos a jailer :O

oh I also want to apologize to @Butterfree in particular for trying to manipulate her with the same role claim... I didn’t mean for that to happen, or to target you specifically! but then you claimed, and it was the same thing I had crumbed (thinking it would be a role that probably no one had), and I had to make a snap decision whether or not to abandon my crumbs 😅

some post-game thoughts

Well this was a wildly entertaining game! It ran a bit shorter than I expected, thanks to the carnage that happened on D2, but was no less entertaining to host. The mafia had some crazy luck due to a series of coincidences that happened, but I still feel like they played their *cough cough* cards right to achieve that victory. As much as it looked like they were way ahead by D3, stuff like Emmy counterclaiming doctor could have drastically changed how that day played out.

Now of course I have to talk about Ultracool! When I included this role I thought it would be the wildcard that would ultimately help the town a lot more than the mafia, but it was a big surprise that no townies ever got to use an item. Seshas claiming watcher, then jailing Ultracool on N1 and dying after getting a sword really made a difference in how people viewed the role. When storm inspected Ultracool and I had to RNG to see what item the mafia would get, I cannot overstate how lucky they were to get a sword. Keldeo's role alone should have been a big hint to the town that the Wheel of Fortune role was real, but in his position I'm not sure how I'd feel if I didn't get an item after visiting the one role that should have guaranteed an item. It would have been possible to extend the game into another day by stealing storm's sword before she could use it, but of course Keldeo would have no way of using it. Keldeo got a pentacle on N3 and then immediately died, which fits the recurring theme of townies dying just as they figure out the truth (here's looking at you MF)

What really astounds me is that mewtini's ability never came into effect. I designed this game to have three roles that passively perform an action on those who target them: one scum, one town, and one third-party. I'll get to Stryke's role in a minute but I honestly expected some silencing to happen in this game. How would people respond when someone appeared to be silenced after a day of no one being silenced, or two people being silenced at once? This game, being one with only power roles, was meant to have some interesting interactions as such.

I found it interesting that the Death arcana was never talked about in game. rari's role, though seemingly not that powerful in its own right, was meant to be a mysterious informant of sorts that would alert the town to the existence of poison and the Mark of Death. Similarly, Emmy was given info about the Mark of Death that was never shared, so the town had no way to know about it! I felt a bit sad for Stryke who wasn't getting any visitors for the first two nights, making it hard to actually do anything that would contribute towards his win condition, despite having one of the biggest obstacles (Strength) removed for him on N0. In retrospect, I might have added a visiting action onto one or two more town roles, but I was trying to keep Wheel of Fortune from being too OP, so I kept the number of roles with a visiting action to a little over half, for the sake of balance. Once the Mark of Death took off though, it really started to spread, and honestly if the game had gone on one more day I think Stryke could have won as well. When I made the role (admittedly inspired by some of the roles from Monster Seeking Monster) I wasn't sure whether to have the role be a singular third-party win like alien, or win alongside either faction, and in the end I went with the latter, because I figured the role had the potential to be seriously overpowered and it wouldn't be very fun for the town and mafia if Death just snatched a win away from them right at the end (this was, of course, the correct choice). I would have definitely changed the flavor text to be a lot more ominous if Death had achieved a joint victory, though.

I think it goes without saying that RNP was the true MVP of this game. Using the role in an unexpected way to secure an additional kill for the mafia? That was a stroke of brilliance, and even when he was messaging me to ask if it would technically work, I never actually believed it was going to work. I don't think I've ever seen an outgroup mafia have such an impact on the course of a mafia game before, but I think this was the biggest event that contributed towards the eventual mafia win. Taking down both the vigilante and alien with him seriously helped the mafia's odds and swung the momentum heavily in their favor after losing Trebek on D1.

I think I might have tweaked one or two roles in retrospect, but overall I'm happy with how this game played out. In a game with so many town power roles, the mafia has to be given a little bit more firepower to balance it out, but it was quite surprising how quickly a lot of those power roles were neutralized. This was a game that could have swung drastically one way or another, and even right until the end there was still a fair chance for the town to win. Imagine how this game would have gone if everyone went and got an item from Ultracool N0 or N1. Very differently.

I still find it hilarious that Jack was planning right from the start to claim governor, despite there being a governor-type role in the game. I thought that would be the unluckiest break for the mafia, but Jack still managed to stick to his plan and claim governor in such a way that people believed him. Also, not sure if he's pointed this out, but look through Jack's ISO, and look at the first letter of each of his initial posts. You won't be disappointed.

All in all, this was a fantastic game to host, and I think everyone played very well! I enjoyed having the chance to do a bit more flavor writing than usual (I was really getting into my little narrative), and Tofu enjoyed making the Von draw-overs and getting to watch people try and figure out each other's roles. I'm glad people enjoyed this game, and I'd love to host another game like it sometime in the future. Thanks everyone!

thanks for hosting! even tho i got memed on D1 it was still super exciting to follow along: i had to keep reminding myself that i couldn’t talk in scumchat lmao

Mist1422 asks "Is there a town-aligned role that is capable of checking for another player's flavor but not role or alignment currently alive?" (Result: No)

that would’ve been awkward lmao

highlights from scumchat

ok. i am a fool.
no. you are a hermit.
i think it would be very funny if, with jack as ingroup, we accidentally n0 killed outgroup again.
whoever targets me at night is silenced, looks like!
if we have another cats-ening where everyone massclaims hypochecks on me n0 i’ll laugh so hard
also just to make sure does this conversation thread affect our number of messages or reaction score?
PMs don’t, otherwise my chat w rari would have been something to behold
brb making a sockpuppet account so I can PM myself 3340 messages and react to them all to surpass mewt's score
63WMPT6.png

i wish i could react to reacts
brb making a sockpuppet account so I can PM myself 3340 messages and react to them all to surpass mewt's score
we all know this is what tbh2 is for
here's a spreadsheet I'll be using to try to keep track of stuff. first sheet is from a "town perspective" with all claims, second sheet is from a scum perspective with only confirmed information

unfortunately my laptop screen is small enough, and we have enough players, that I cannot screenshot it in one single frame. so I'm just not gonna share from it in-thread, so I don't have to worry about stitching multiple screenshots together + worry about making sure to remember to crop out "town sheet" "scum sheet" at the bottom

it is here for all of y'all's benefit to peruse whenever you want, though
so i went back to click on this now bc i didn’t have good signal to load it yesterday, but now i’m dying at the mental image of u screenshotting this in mainthread and it just saying “scum view” at the bottom

what a mood
now that no one in here is involved in snomfia i can say that i wolfed there and nearly did the spreadsheet slip thing like twice lmfao

visions of someone in endgame going "wow all three of the first posters on d1 were mafia"
don’t spoil anything
VM kills hamilton

Eyyyy racking up those sweet reaction points I haven't been getting 'cuz I died in my only other 2020-era mafia game so far
w- why is this post not showing up in my ISO. do I just have my ISO cached so it's not updating or something

I'm trying to fake!breadcrumb via first initials of my posts in my ISO so I need to know if this counts for the E in governor or if I need to make a different E lol

can y'all see this post in my ISO
ok yeah definitely a caching issue with the ISO search setup, I have G-O-V showing up in my normal browser window and G-O-V-E in my incognito window. I guess I'll have to clear my cookies to see the full G-O-V-E-R-N that I'm up to so far
lmaoooooo herbe's reads
i’m literally cackling at them
bruh he kinda got us damn
guess we lose kek
what are the odds that mist is outgroup trying to flag us

or is that too obvious
do you have any reads tbh
bruh. i haven't been in the thread!! >:(
jack, what makes you think seshas is softing? i might have just missed it so it would be nice to look at what you are seeing :p
iirc Seshas was the very first person to suggest watcher exists in this game, in #156, suggesting mafia might use a watcher to dissuade town from interacting with Ultracool, then in #226 started talking about town using a watcher to dissuade mafia, and iirc both of these were before literally anybody else started talking about watcher at all

(also, joke/meme evidence but in #52 claimed their "only role soft" to be a picture of Ampharos, which prominently factors into GSC as a lighthouse == I could read this as a watcher hint)
I might as well claim
I'm watcher, hence I suggested the plan
glgl
jack, you KING

lmao if we accidentally framed Ultracool by killing Seshas when everyone else in town was discouraged from targeting Ultracool
tfw rnp is more successful as mafia than the entire ingroup mafia combined so far 🙃
thank you keith tbh. chefs kiss
lurkers right now are uh... @IndigoEmmy @storm @Butterfree @Zero Moment off the top of my head? should we ask them to massclaim first and then the more active folks after that?
Emmy reacted to this post with "Haha" so I'm pretty sure she's silenced lmaoooooo
oh my god. emmy, queen ...
god this may be a REALLY reckless dumbass idea but mewt, what if you fakeclaim doctor? (ideally waiting until after ZM has claimed and, if possible, after Keldeo has claimed, just in case it's one of them)

the only remaining non-claimers are you, Emmy, Keldeo, and ZM, so if neither of them claims it, we'll know the doc is either Emmy or already dead, so we should be able to safely kill Emmy tonight and MF the next night

idk I just have a gut instinct that Emmy is doc and healed you
(but I definitely want you to wait for ZM and Keldeo to claim just in case)
hmmmmm
how strong is your gut instinct

if emmy were doc she definitely would have targeted me because she always TRs me :v so i am not opposed, just fearful. so waiting on zm/kel sounds fair to me
hmmmmm
i mean it's a gut instinct so by nature it's unreliable, but I would say I'm at like 33-33-33 between doc being Emmy vs. one of {Keldeo, ZM} vs. one of the dead townies
I feel I've forgotten like 80% of the thread... head empty
you are doing great tbh! dw. this is a ... stressful game, i didn't really get stressed as mafia last game i played but this one is really really hard for me to buckle down and play to be honest. i was not lying about that inthread :(
seconding this is VERY stressful, my heart was beating out of my chest for like an hour after I made my fakeclaim
tbh jack you are doing great, i was really excited when i saw you also randed wolf :'D but yeah the climate this game is like, significantly more combative than usual, i feel like i'd even be struggling as town ...
having a silencer in the game i figured would be an amusing answer to the problem of high post count
hahahahaha
mafia game concept: everyone has a targeting night action, and everyone also secretly has a reverse silencer tag added to their role but they aren't told about it. the only people who can talk are the ones who abstain from their night action
bruh

i forgot seshas watched skylar when i claimed. hastily put together rationalization, i am sorry if i fucked up lololol. i was just like “well, i always target skylar n0, so,”

endless pain
no I liked it fine! if anything this is nice bc it adds a roleblocker wrench into the mix that town can go down a garden path trying and failing to solve
performatively pinging emmy for the cred
oh my god emmy wasn’t silenced
Please don't vote for me guys. I'm actually not mafia.
Everyone else has mass-roleclaimed yesterday and today; can you claim your role too, please?
inb4 she says doctor,
I've been debating back and forth about who's hypothetically likely to be outgroup mafia with us (if any more exist; who knows, maybe all the remaining non-town non-us are all 3p)

before the massclaim I was kinda gutreading MF but now my gut is telling me Keldeo...? and idk if I'm just reading too much into that "oh no I'm not openwolfing"
So like you think they could’ve been planning to fake claim oracle from the very start of day 1? I guess that’s possible but it seems a little farfetched to me I guess.
he says to me, who planned my fakeclaim from the middle of night 0
god what if emmy is our outgroup 😬

Oh fuck we forgot about Mist
also mewt lmao I just looked back at my spreadsheet again and realized no one has been silenced a l l g a m e l o n g

I was so sure that was gonna be a clutch power for us but I guess you really are the hermit after all

highlights from scumchat

ok. i am a fool.
no. you are a hermit.
i think it would be very funny if, with jack as ingroup, we accidentally n0 killed outgroup again.
whoever targets me at night is silenced, looks like!
if we have another cats-ening where everyone massclaims hypochecks on me n0 i’ll laugh so hard
also just to make sure does this conversation thread affect our number of messages or reaction score?
PMs don’t, otherwise my chat w rari would have been something to behold
63WMPT6.png

i wish i could react to reacts
we all know this is what tbh2 is for
here's a spreadsheet I'll be using to try to keep track of stuff. first sheet is from a "town perspective" with all claims, second sheet is from a scum perspective with only confirmed information

unfortunately my laptop screen is small enough, and we have enough players, that I cannot screenshot it in one single frame. so I'm just not gonna share from it in-thread, so I don't have to worry about stitching multiple screenshots together + worry about making sure to remember to crop out "town sheet" "scum sheet" at the bottom

it is here for all of y'all's benefit to peruse whenever you want, though
so i went back to click on this now bc i didn’t have good signal to load it yesterday, but now i’m dying at the mental image of u screenshotting this in mainthread and it just saying “scum view” at the bottom

what a mood
now that no one in here is involved in snomfia i can say that i wolfed there and nearly did the spreadsheet slip thing like twice lmfao

visions of someone in endgame going "wow all three of the first posters on d1 were mafia"
don’t spoil anything
VM kills hamilton

Eyyyy racking up those sweet reaction points I haven't been getting 'cuz I died in my only other 2020-era mafia game so far
w- why is this post not showing up in my ISO. do I just have my ISO cached so it's not updating or something

I'm trying to fake!breadcrumb via first initials of my posts in my ISO so I need to know if this counts for the E in governor or if I need to make a different E lol

can y'all see this post in my ISO
ok yeah definitely a caching issue with the ISO search setup, I have G-O-V showing up in my normal browser window and G-O-V-E in my incognito window. I guess I'll have to clear my cookies to see the full G-O-V-E-R-N that I'm up to so far
lmaoooooo herbe's reads
i’m literally cackling at them
bruh he kinda got us damn
guess we lose kek
what are the odds that mist is outgroup trying to flag us

or is that too obvious
do you have any reads tbh
bruh. i haven't been in the thread!! >:(
jack, what makes you think seshas is softing? i might have just missed it so it would be nice to look at what you are seeing :p
iirc Seshas was the very first person to suggest watcher exists in this game, in #156, suggesting mafia might use a watcher to dissuade town from interacting with Ultracool, then in #226 started talking about town using a watcher to dissuade mafia, and iirc both of these were before literally anybody else started talking about watcher at all

(also, joke/meme evidence but in #52 claimed their "only role soft" to be a picture of Ampharos, which prominently factors into GSC as a lighthouse == I could read this as a watcher hint)
I might as well claim
I'm watcher, hence I suggested the plan
glgl
jack, you KING

lmao if we accidentally framed Ultracool by killing Seshas when everyone else in town was discouraged from targeting Ultracool
tfw rnp is more successful as mafia than the entire ingroup mafia combined so far 🙃
thank you keith tbh. chefs kiss
lurkers right now are uh... @IndigoEmmy @storm @Butterfree @Zero Moment off the top of my head? should we ask them to massclaim first and then the more active folks after that?
Emmy reacted to this post with "Haha" so I'm pretty sure she's silenced lmaoooooo
oh my god. emmy, queen ...
god this may be a REALLY reckless dumbass idea but mewt, what if you fakeclaim doctor? (ideally waiting until after ZM has claimed and, if possible, after Keldeo has claimed, just in case it's one of them)

the only remaining non-claimers are you, Emmy, Keldeo, and ZM, so if neither of them claims it, we'll know the doc is either Emmy or already dead, so we should be able to safely kill Emmy tonight and MF the next night

idk I just have a gut instinct that Emmy is doc and healed you
(but I definitely want you to wait for ZM and Keldeo to claim just in case)
hmmmmm

if emmy were doc she definitely would have targeted me because she always TRs me :v so i am not opposed, just fearful. so waiting on zm/kel sounds fair to me
hmmmmm
i mean it's a gut instinct so by nature it's unreliable, but I would say I'm at like 33-33-33 between doc being Emmy vs. one of {Keldeo, ZM} vs. one of the dead townies
I feel I've forgotten like 80% of the thread... head empty
you are doing great tbh! dw. this is a ... stressful game, i didn't really get stressed as mafia last game i played but this one is really really hard for me to buckle down and play to be honest. i was not lying about that inthread :(
seconding this is VERY stressful, my heart was beating out of my chest for like an hour after I made my fakeclaim
tbh jack you are doing great, i was really excited when i saw you also randed wolf :'D but yeah the climate this game is like, significantly more combative than usual, i feel like i'd even be struggling as town ...
having a silencer in the game i figured would be an amusing answer to the problem of high post count
hahahahaha
mafia game concept: everyone has a targeting night action, and everyone also secretly has a reverse silencer tag added to their role but they aren't told about it. the only people who can talk are the ones who abstain from their night action
bruh

i forgot seshas watched skylar when i claimed. hastily put together rationalization, i am sorry if i fucked up lololol. i was just like “well, i always target skylar n0, so,”

endless pain
no I liked it fine! if anything this is nice bc it adds a roleblocker wrench into the mix that town can go down a garden path trying and failing to solve
performatively pinging emmy for the cred
oh my god emmy wasn’t silenced
Please don't vote for me guys. I'm actually not mafia.
Everyone else has mass-roleclaimed yesterday and today; can you claim your role too, please?
inb4 she says doctor,
I've been debating back and forth about who's hypothetically likely to be outgroup mafia with us (if any more exist; who knows, maybe all the remaining non-town non-us are all 3p)

before the massclaim I was kinda gutreading MF but now my gut is telling me Keldeo...? and idk if I'm just reading too much into that "oh no I'm not openwolfing"
So like you think they could’ve been planning to fake claim oracle from the very start of day 1? I guess that’s possible but it seems a little farfetched to me I guess.
he says to me, who planned my fakeclaim from the middle of night 0
god what if emmy is our outgroup 😬

Oh fuck we forgot about Mist
also mewt lmao I just looked back at my spreadsheet again and realized no one has been silenced a l l g a m e l o n g

I was so sure that was gonna be a clutch power for us but I guess you really are the hermit after all
iconic tbh

Back
Top Bottom