• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

[15] Vipera Magnifica vs Keldeo (ref: JackPK)

M&F

tikitok
Pronoun
any
3 vs 3
Style: Set
DQ: 7 days
Damage Cap: 35%
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKOs, Pain Split, Perish Song, moves that KO the user; direct recovery is restricted to 1 use in the match (by any Pokémon), and Chills are restricted to 5 uses (per Pokémon).
Arena: Kalos Victory Road

Kalos's very own Victory Road consists of a series of tunnels, intersparsed by open-air pathes on which one may find shattered remains of ancient fortifications, likely used and destroyed in the great war that scars the region's ancient history. The particular area where this battle begins is one that's been long known as a spot where rivals clash for the last time before their championship challenges begin. It's a somewhat well-preserved part of the building, with its stone flooring almost intact, having one section at even level with the rest of the terrain and another a step higher, with an unrecognizable slab near the center that may have been some kind of table. The walls around this area aren't as well preserved -- they remain mostly intact near the ground, but higher bit have been broken away for the most part. There are several small windows, although few are intacct, with most having had their top parts broken. Overall, the area seems somewhat nicely sealed off while still offering a nice, open view of the sky above and the incredibly vast landscape all the way below. Beyond that area, this open-air section of the Victory Road is a mottle of still-standing fortifying walls that practically form a bit of a labyrinth.

Vipera Magnifica's active squad

goodra Master Belch the male Goodra <Gooey> @ Leftovers
flygon Darude the male Flygon <Levitate> @ Lum Berry
hawlucha Libertad the female Hawlucha <Unburden> @ Flying Gem
sharpedo Kamohoalii the male Sharpedo <Rough Skin> @ Life Orb
glaceon Melia the female Glaceon <Snow Cloak> @ Never-Melt Ice
wailord a fucking whale the female Wailord <Oblivious> @ Shell Bell
eelektross Faraday the male Eelektross <Levitate> @ Magnet
sableye Rhinestone Eyes the female Sableye <Keen Eye> @ Sachet
togepi [MLG]PaRaFl!nChG0D the male Togepi <Serene Grace> @ Eviolite
kecleon Nebuchadnezzar the male shiny Kecleon <Protean> @ Expert Belt

Keldeo's active squad

gardevoir River the female shiny Gardevoir <Synchronize> @ Wise Glasses (Signature Move: Echo)
pangoro Toby the male Pangoro <Mold Breaker> @ Expert Belt
haxorus Robin the female Haxorus <Mold Breaker> @ Shell Bell
castform Airplane Baguette the male Castform <Forecast> @ Wise Glasses
pyroar-f Eve the female Pyroar <Rivalry> @ Expert Belt
absol Taylor the female Absol <Pressure> @ Expert Belt
kangaskhan Toriel the female Kangaskhan <Scrappy> @ Expert Belt
mawile Zipper the female Mawile <Hyper Cutter> @ Expert Belt
lapras Nevy the female Lapras <Water Absorb> @ Expert Belt
sableye Blake the male Sableye <Prankster> @ Sachet

Up next:
1.Vipera Magnifica sends out
2.Keldeo sends out and issues commands
3.Vipera Magnifica issues commands

Last edited:
I'm sure anything I send out first will just result in a bad type match-up for me, so I'm going to have to deploy my wild card...

Nebuchadnezzar, it's time to stupefy the competition!

We won't be out-stupefied, Toby!

Iy6ZJZj.png

Start with an Entrainment to take away their Protean. If he is not preparing to Snatch and he has a Protect up or is otherwise unhittable with Entrainment for some reason, set up a quick Hone Claws, and if he has a Magic Coat, use Knock Off. For the next two actions, try Entrainment again if you haven't used it successfully, i.e. Nebuchadnezzar's ability is still Protean, and he doesn't have something up that would block, rebound, or otherwise prevent it, including Protect, Magic Coat, Substitute, Double Team, and Disable.

If the conditions for Entrainment aren't fulfilled on the second action, use Crunch. However, use Swords Dance if he's Fighting, Dark, or Fairy type, if he's preparing to Counter, or if he's Protecting or otherwise unhittable with Crunch. If he is preparing to Snatch and the conditions for Swords Dance are fulfilled, don't use Swords Dance - if you can hit him with Crunch, use that instead. Do the same with Foul Play over Crunch and Bulk Up over Swords Dance on the third action, but only use Bulk Up if he's Protecting, preparing to Counter, or otherwise unhittable with Foul Play; the Snatch caveat still applies.

Entrainment / Hone Claws / Knock Off ~ Entrainment / Crunch / Swords Dance ~ Entrainment / Foul Play / Bulk Up

Good luck and have fun, Vipera Magnifica! Here's hoping this'll be a great battle.

Entrainment? I think you mean NO FUN ALLOWED.

As much as I wanted this battle to be a puzzling battle of wits, it's no use delaying the inevitable. Sorry Neb, that Entrainment is going to hit eventually, so you may as well take advantage of the opportunity that this creates and lead with a Focus Punch right off the bat.

See, I can tell Keldeo wanted me to use one of my standard priority moves. All of them pertain to a type that's weak to either Fighting or Dark, so that was a clever move on her part. However, I believe there is a loophole to this. See, the description for Protean states that "When preparing any move, its elemental energy spreads through the Pokémon's body and changes it." Focus Punch is an interesting move though. There are two parts to the attack: the charging turn, and the execution of the punch. While the punch is a decreased priority move, the charging turn has a priority of +6, meaning it always occurs before any other moves. Ergo, by using Focus Punch, Nebuchadnezzar should theoretically be able to activate Protean before Toby has a chance to use Entrainment, thus changing to the Fighting-type. And what's more, once Nebuchadnezzar's ability is changed to Mold Breaker, Protean's drawback of not having STAB on Fighting-type moves no longer applies, and so the already overpowered Focus Punch becomes even more overpowered.

tumblr_nplfvbXADF1s5654qo3_500.jpg

SAY GOODBYE TO 30% OF YOUR LIFE POINTS AHAAHAHAAAAHHA

Anyway Neb, now that I've gotten that explanation out of the way, it's time to discuss the rest of your commands. Since you'll still be Fighting-type on the second action, Toby is going to have to use Swords Dance as per his commands. This poses no immediate threat to you, so try throwing yet another wrench into our opponent's plans by using Thunder Wave. After that, you'll be faster than Toby, although you should still wait to move second just to see what he does. If he hits you with Foul Play, use Drain Punch to heal back some of that health. If he cannot attack you because he is paralyzed, then there is no point to healing, so use Power-Up Punch instead to bring Toby to the damage cap and get a slight boost for later.

Focus Punch ~ Thunder Wave ~ Drain Punch / Power-Up Punch

As infallible as my strategy may appear to me, it never hurts to be too careful, especially in a tournament. It's possible that JackPK may have differing opinions with regard to the activation of Protean, so just in case the above scenario would not lead to Nebuchadnezzar being Fighting-type, I have prepared an alternate set of commands:

Neb, you should open with a combo attack combining aspects of Power-Up Punch and Fake Out. The Fake Out part of the combo should just get you moving so that you can rush forward immediately and outspeed Toby. When it comes to the actual attack though, you want to hit him with a Power-Up Punch completely laced in Fighting-type energy. Even if you need to hold back some of the power of the combo, that is fine, so long as you activate your Protean ability and become Fighting-type in the process. You can take your resting turn on the third action, but on the second, I want you to hit Toby with a Focus Punch while he spends an action using Swords Dance.

Fake Out + Power-Up Punch ~ Focus Punch ~ nothing

Now Jack, if by your discretion this scenario should not work either, then just go back to the first scenario.

Good luck, Keldeo! This battle is going to be a great one.

m2ZyZ1t.png

Augh! T-that move, "Focus Punch"... If the user can pull it off uninterrupted, it deals a massive 15% damage! Its power is unparalleled!

Keldeo... be careful...!

I'm actually curious enough about how the order-of-operations for Focus Punch and Protean should work that I'm going to go beat the Elite Four so I have access to the Move Tutor and beat the Delta Episode so I have access to the Hidden Ability Kecleon in Mossdeep Space Center*, just so I can test this out in the actual games, because Bulbapedia's Protean article doesn't specify one way or the other

*this is actually not TOO much work, since the last milestone I reached was getting the eighth badge

the things I do for you people (seriously, I love you)

I'll do my very best to be done with this ASAP. Poke me if Metallica Fanboy gets more than a couple of rounds ahead of me in reffing his tournament battle, and if I'm not close then I'll just make a decision without regard to actual game mechanics.

Ahahaha, you guys are the best. I stayed up late last night to beat the Elite Four and then got up super early today to beat the Delta Episode and rack up 16 BP in the Battle Resort and tested it out myself... and then looked here to see y'all saving me the trouble!

Reffing will be up in hopefully a very reasonable amount of time, now!~

[size=+2]Vipera Magnifica vs Keldeo: Round One[/size]

3 vs 3
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKOs, Pain Split, Perish Song, moves that KO the user; direct recovery is restricted to 1 use in the match (by any Pokémon), and Chills are restricted to 5 uses (per Pokémon).

Kalos's very own Victory Road consists of a series of tunnels, interspersed by open-air paths on which one may find shattered remains of ancient fortifications, likely used and destroyed in the great war that scars the region's ancient history. The particular area where this battle begins is one that's been long known as a spot where rivals clash for the last time before their championship challenges begin. It's a somewhat well-preserved part of the building, with its stone flooring almost intact, having one section at even level with the rest of the terrain and another a step higher, with an unrecognizable slab near the center that may have been some kind of table. The walls around this area aren't as well preserved -- they remain mostly intact near the ground, but higher bit have been broken away for the most part. There are several small windows, although few are intact, with most having had their top parts broken. Overall, the area seems somewhat nicely sealed off while still offering a nice, open view of the sky above and the incredibly vast landscape all the way below. Beyond that area, this open-air section of the Victory Road is a mottle of still-standing fortifying walls that practically form a bit of a labyrinth.

The Asber League has been watching with bated breath for more than a year to see who will win the Kalos Open tournament, and today is a bright day for all observers as the semi-finals begin. Two Trainers and their referee hike through the cave to a small clearing within the crumbling ruins of an ancient building. The sunshine peeks warmly past occasional pillowy clouds in a picturesque blue sky as the battlers select their Pokemon.

Vipera Magnifica sends out his shiny Kecleon, a lizard who blinks in and out of visibility. It’s sure to throw some unpredictability into the match with its Hidden Ability of Protean. On the other side of the battlefield, Keldeo unveils her pick, a stout Pangoro who stoically takes stock of his color-changing foe. Commands are issued, and the battle begins!

Team Vipera Magnifica (OOO)
kecleon
Nebuchadnezzar (M) the shiny Kecleon
<Protean> Changes type to match each move used.
@Expert Belt Raises super-effective moves' final damage by 2%.
███████████ 100% Health
███████████ 100% Energy
Speed: 40
Condition: Eager to experiment with his type.
Commands: Fake Out + Power-Up Punch ~ Focus Punch ~ nothing

Team Keldeo (OOO)
pangoro
Toby (M) the Pangoro
<Mold Breaker> Bypasses targets’ Abilities that would prevent damage.
███████████ 100% Health
███████████ 100% Energy
Speed: 58
Condition: Strong and stoic.
Commands: Entrainment / Hone Claws / Knock Off ~ Entrainment / Crunch / Swords Dance ~ Entrainment / Foul Play / Bulk Up

Toby knows that, as a Pangoro, he should be faster than a simple Kecleon, so he’s surprised when the lizard darts forward before he can begin to use Entrainment as ordered. Nebuchadnezzar charges up what’s clearly a Power-Up Punch, the stripe on his stomach shifting to a solid maroon, and Toby braces for the hit — which never comes. The Kecleon stops a fraction of an inch short of his target, and the surprise at the lack of impact causes Toby to stumble back and fall, slightly bruising himself.

Frustrated at giving such a bad showing in the very first action of such an important battle, Toby redoubles his determination to use Entrainment, overlooking Nebuchadnezzar’s tensed muscles and intensely focused expression. The Pangoro taps into his special ability to land an attack even against a well-defended foe, then mystically broadcasts it toward the Kecleon, the undulating waves overriding the lizard’s Ability. Indeed, as the attack ends, Nebuchadnezzar’s mottled skin stops shimmering and its colors settle to very solid, unchanging hues.

In return, however, Nebuchadnezzar lets out a vicious cry of fury and knocks Toby clear across the battlefield with a powerful punch, filled with the energy he’d gathered while quietly focused. With that attack done, the Kecleon takes a moment to relax and relieve himself of the exhaustion caused by the combo and the powerful attack. Toby, however, gets to his feet and takes advantage of his foe’s overexertion with a powerful swipe that knocks the lizard off its feet. The Pangoro is annoyed, though, that his foe’s type change buffers him from the attack’s full power.

kecleon
██████████ 92% Health
█████████ 87% Energy
Condition: Tired, but pleased.
Commands used: Fake Out + Power-Up Punch ~ Focus Punch ~ (nothing)

Team Keldeo (OOO)
pangoro
Toby (M) the Pangoro
███████ 65% Health
██████████ 93% Energy
Condition: Furious and embarrassed by his performance.
Commands used: (flinched) ~ Entrainment ~ Foul Play

Unless otherwise stated, all rolls are on a scale from 001-100 where the roll must be equal to or lower than the accuracy in order to hit, the effect chance in order to have an effect, or the critical hit chance to crit.

On confusion/paralysis/attraction etc. rolls, anything equal to or lower than the failure chance is a failure; anything higher lets the Pokemon use its command.

For all calculations, please completely ignore all the rules you learned in school about order of operations. Everything in this section just goes left to right.

Sendout

kecleon 100% health, 100% energy
pangoro 100% health, 100% energy

Action One

Nebuchadnezzar uses a Fake Out + Power-Up Punch combo.
~ Fake Out has 100% accuracy, so it hits without needing a roll.
~ Fake Out’s critical hit domain is 1 (5%). It fails to crit with a roll of 16.
~ Fake Out has a 100% chance of causing the foe to flinch.
~ Nebuchadnezzer’s type becomes Fighting.
~ Base damage 4% + 1 for STAB + no stat changes + 0 EXP bonus × 1 since Normal is neutral against Fighting/Dark = Toby takes 5% damage.
~ Fake Out’s base energy 3% - 1 for STAB + half of Power-Up Punch’s base energy 1.5% = 3.5 rounded up = Nebuchadnezzar expends 4% energy.

Toby flinches.

kecleon 100% health, 96% energy
pangoro 95% health, 100% energy

Action Two

Nebuchadnezzar prepares Focus Punch.

Toby uses Entrainment.
~ Entrainment has 100% accuracy, so it hits without needing a roll.
~ Nebuchadnezzar’s Ability was changed to Mold Breaker.
~ Base energy 3% = Toby expends 3% energy.

Nebuchadnezzar uses Focus Punch.
~ Focus Punch has 100% accuracy, so it hits without needing a roll.
~ Focus Punch’s critical hit domain is 1 (5%). It fails to crit with a roll of 71.
~ Base damage 15% + 3.75 for STAB + no stat changes + 0 EXP bonus × 1.5 since Dark is weak to Fighting = 28.125 rounded down = 28 + 2 for Expert Belt = Toby takes 30% damage.
~ Base energy 9% - 1 for STAB + 1 for Expert Belt = Nebuchadnezzar expends 9% energy.

kecleon 100% health, 87% energy
pangoro 65% health, 97% energy

Action Three

Toby uses Foul Play.
~ Foul Play has 100% accuracy, so it hits without needing a roll.
~ Foul Play’s critical hit domain is 1 (5%). It fails to crit with a roll of 78.
~ Base damage 9.5 + 2.375 for STAB + no stat changes + 1 EXP bonus × 0.67 since Fighting is resistant to Dark = 8.626 rounded down = Nebuchadnezzar takes 8% damage.
~ Base energy 5% - 1 for STAB = Toby expends 4% energy.

Nebuchadnezzar forfeits an action for his combo.

kecleon 92% health, 87% energy
pangoro 65% health, 93% energy

Arena
The cool breeze blows gently in Victory Road’s ancient ruins, which remain intact despite the battle raging within them.

Notes:
1. Speed order: Toby (58) > Nebuchadnezzar (40).
2. OK, a thorough explanation of how I parsed that combo: Fake Out is explicitly described as “fak[ing] an attack,” while Power-Up Punch explicitly gets its boost from impact with the target’s “toughest area,” according to the database. Since these are mutually exclusive, and faking is pretty intrinsic to the flavor of why Fake Out is able to be a priority move, I interpreted the most feasible way of using the combo as using the priority of Fake Out to fake using a Power-Up Punch. Thus, the combo had +3 priority and Nebuchadnezzar got Power-Up Punch’s Fighting type from Protean, but the punch did not actually connect, there was no chance of an Attack boost, and the attack’s effects on Toby were calculated purely as Fake Out. The combo’s energy was calculated as Fake Out’s energy plus half of Power-Up Punch’s.
3. Just as VM asserted, I consider the STAB ruling on Protean to be inherent to Protean, so when Nebuchadnezzar’s Ability was changed, his STAB changed too. From now on, (as long as he does not regain Protean somehow,) he will get STAB on his current type.
4. Forgive me if the flavor is a bit weird; I did all the calcs a couple of days ago so I know they should be fine, but the database was down today so I had to do the flavor without being able to check if my descriptions were matching its descriptions. Hope y’all don’t mind.
5. The forums' sprite database doesn't have ORAS shinies :(
Next round, VM commands first, followed by Keldeo.

Last edited:
Not bad, Neb. It looks like we've given ourselves a pretty decent head start, but we still need to keep up the pressure. For this round, your default attack is Drain Punch for all three actions. If Toby tries to use Block, Spite, Swagger, Taunt, or Torment on you, then reflect back the move with a Magic Coat. You're slower than Toby, so you should be moving second, but if it seems obvious he is just waiting for you to move first, then you should wait it out as well. If he's preparing to use Focus Punch or Circle Throw, then go ahead and attack him. Use Shock Wave if you need to dispatch some clones or you can't use Drain Punch for some reason. Also use Shock Wave to free yourself from an Infestation, if necessary, by zapping the bugs surrounding you.

Drain Punch / Magic Coat / Shock Wave x3

I sense... a great power...
This feeling... could it be... haha... AHAHAHAAHAA
yes... finally, I have found a worthy adversary!

(Quick reffing quibble: as per here I think Toby's Foul Play should have done 1% more damage, since he has 4 experience.)

As for commands, there's no way we'll be able to match them in damage, so just copy their Drain Punches with Me First all three actions. On the first action, use Drain Punch for health so we'll end this round over the damage cap, but on the last two actions, target his energy. If for some reason you can't use Me First, or you can't change the target from health to energy, just Drain Punch normally.

Me First (Drain Punch [health]) / Drain Punch (health) ~ Me First (Drain Punch [energy]) / Drain Punch (energy) x2

[size=+2]Vipera Magnifica vs Keldeo: Round Two[/size]

3 vs 3

Kalos's very own Victory Road consists of a series of tunnels, interspersed by open-air paths on which one may find shattered remains of ancient fortifications, likely used and destroyed in the great war that scars the region's ancient history. The particular area where this battle begins is one that's been long known as a spot where rivals clash for the last time before their championship challenges begin. It's a somewhat well-preserved part of the building, with its stone flooring almost intact, having one section at even level with the rest of the terrain and another a step higher, with an unrecognizable slab near the center that may have been some kind of table. The walls around this area aren't as well preserved -- they remain mostly intact near the ground, but higher bit have been broken away for the most part. There are several small windows, although few are intact, with most having had their top parts broken. Overall, the area seems somewhat nicely sealed off while still offering a nice, open view of the sky above and the incredibly vast landscape all the way below. Beyond that area, this open-air section of the Victory Road is a mottle of still-standing fortifying walls that practically form a bit of a labyrinth.

kecleon
██████████ 92% Health
█████████ 87% Energy
Condition: Tired, but pleased.
Commands: Drain Punch / Magic Coat / Shock Wave x3

Team Keldeo (OOO)
pangoro
Toby (M) the Pangoro
███████ 65% Health
██████████ 93% Energy
Condition: Furious and embarrassed by his performance.
Commands: Me First (Drain Punch [health]) / Drain Punch (health) ~ Me First (Drain Punch [energy]) / Drain Punch (energy) x2

Nebuchadnezzar starts to make a move, but there’s no way Toby was going to let his foe get the upper hand again. The Pangoro quickly scans his foe up and down, noting subtle body movements to indicate what the Kecleon is about to do — a Drain Punch! Toby puts his Fighting-type energy into overdrive to outspeed the lizard, wrapping the energy around his hand and bashing Nebuchadnezzar in the face with it to drain his health. Hah! What do you think of that? Toby thinks, only to have the smirk wiped off his face by a punch just as powerful aimed his way.

The next action, Nebuchadnezzar prepares exactly the same thing, but following orders, Toby whips up a draining punch from scratch instead of tapping into the Kecleon's power with Me First. The Pangoro lands the punch with less enthusiasm now that he knows just how hard the lizard can hit with his new Fighting type, and indeed, the punch Toby feels is significantly stronger than the punch he gives.

A third pair of punches comes and goes, Toby growing ever more discouraged at his ability to overcome the sizable gap in advantage between him and his enemy. As the damage cap’s soothing glow wraps around both battlers, the Pangoro wonders what he can do to even the score.

kecleon
███████████ 100% Health
██████ 55% Energy
Condition: Still going strong.
Commands: Drain Punch ~ Drain Punch ~ Drain Punch

Team Keldeo (OOO)
pangoro
Toby (M) the Pangoro
████ 37% Health (capped)
██████████ 91% Energy
Condition: Despairing.
Commands used: Me First ~ Drain Punch ~ Drain Punch

Unless otherwise stated, all rolls are on a scale from 001-100 where the roll must be equal to or lower than the accuracy in order to hit, the effect chance in order to have an effect, or the critical hit chance to crit.

On confusion/paralysis/attraction etc. rolls, anything equal to or lower than the failure chance is a failure; anything higher lets the Pokemon use its command.

For all calculations, please completely ignore all the rules you learned in school about order of operations. Everything in this section just goes left to right.

Last Round

kecleon 92% health, 87% energy
pangoro 65% health, 93% energy

Action One

Toby uses Me First.
Me First calls Drain Punch (health).
~ Drain Punch has 100% accuracy, so it hits without needing a roll.
~ Drain Punch’s critical hit domain is 1 (5%). It fails to crit with a roll of 87.
~ Base power 7.5 × 1.5 for Me First = 11.25% + 2.8125 for STAB + no stat changes + 1 EXP bonus × 1 for the standard type matchup = 15.0625 rounded down = Nebuchadnezzar takes 15% damage.
~ 15% damage × 0.5 = 7.5 rounded down = Toby restores 7% health.
~ Base energy 4% × 1.5 for the base power increase = 6 - 1 for STAB + 1 for being called by another move = Toby expends 6% energy.

Nebuchadnezzar uses Drain Punch (health).
~ Drain Punch’s critical hit domain is 1 (5%). It fails to crit with a roll of 27.
~ Base power 7.5 + 1.875 for STAB + no stat changes + 0 EXP bonus × 1.5 since Dark is weak to Fighting = 14.0625 rounded down = 14% + 2 for Expert Belt = Toby takes 16% damage.
~ 16% damage × 0.5 = Nebuchadnezzar restores 8% health.
~ Base energy 4% - 1 for STAB + 1 for Expert Belt = Nebuchadnezzar expends 4% energy.

kecleon 85% health, 83% energy
pangoro 56% health, 87% energy

Action Two

Toby uses Drain Punch (energy).
~ Drain Punch’s critical hit domain is 1 (5%). It fails to crit with a roll of 79.
~ Base power 7.5 + 1.875 for STAB + no stat changes + 1 EXP bonus × 1 for the standard type matchup = 10.375 rounded down = Nebuchadnezzar takes 10% energy damage.
~ 10% damage × 0.5 = Toby restores 5% energy.
~ Base energy 4% - 1 for STAB = Toby expends 3% energy.

~ Drain Punch’s critical hit domain is 1 (5%). It fails to crit with a roll of 74.
~ Base power 7.5 + 1.875 for STAB + no stat changes + 0 EXP bonus × 1.5 since Dark is weak to Fighting = 14.0625 rounded down = 14% + 2 for Expert Belt = Toby takes 16% damage.
~ Base energy 4% - 1 for STAB + 1 for Expert Belt = Nebuchadnezzar expends 4% energy.

kecleon 93% health, 69% energy
pangoro 40% health, 89% energy

Action Three

Toby uses Drain Punch (energy).
~ Drain Punch’s critical hit domain is 1 (5%). It fails to crit with a roll of 79.
~ Base power 7.5 + 1.875 for STAB + no stat changes + 1 EXP bonus × 1 for the standard type matchup = 10.375 rounded down = Nebuchadnezzar takes 10% energy damage.
~ 10% damage × 0.5 = Toby restores 5% energy.

~ Drain Punch’s critical hit domain is 1 (5%). It fails to crit with a roll of 99.

kecleon 100% health, 55% energy
pangoro 24% health (capped at 37%), 91% energy

Arena
The cool breeze blows gently in Victory Road’s ancient ruins, which remain intact despite the battle raging within them.

Notes:
1. Speed order: Toby (58) > Nebuchadnezzar (40).
2. The math in my calculations section is a hair opaque, so to explain more simply: Thanks to mathematical coincidences, both Toby and Neb ended up dealing the same amount of damage to each other per action, and thus healing the same amount. Over the course of the round, they both dealt 45% damage (10% of which was nullified by the damage cap) and healed 21% health, leaving them both with exactly 14% less health than they started the round with. As an amusing oddity of the interaction between our damage cap system and my notation system, this means they both ended up “capped” with more health than they had “uncapped” at the end of the second action. EDIT: VM pointed out a dumb math error on my part of half a tenth of a percent that ended up being just enough to bump Nebuchadnezzar up to dealing an extra point of damage per action. This was also just enough for him to heal an extra point per action, so his final health is now that much higher.
3. Per this ruling, Toby was locked into draining health. EDIT: It seems I misread Keldeo's commands, so he actually switched over to using Drain Punch (energy) outright instead of copying Neb's punch with Me First.
4. Apologies for the slim flavor text.
Next round, Keldeo commands first, followed by VM.

Last edited:
I apologize for the significant errors in reffing that last round. I hope I've rectified everything. Please let me know if there's anything else I missed, or any error I accidentally introduced when fixing the prior ones. Actually, please also let me know if everything looks correct, just so I know not to worry.

Again, my humblest apologies.

EDIT: Re-re-rectified after Eifie pointed out that I was having Drain Punch damage Neb's health to heal Toby's energy, when it should have been energy → energy. Ugh, I guess I'm just off my game today. That's what I get for trying to get this done before I'm busy all day tomorrow and the next day.

Last edited:
Don't worry Jack. It was a very minor mistake, and you fixed it. Everything looks fine now.

EDIT: Oh, I didn't see the other edits you made. I guess I misread Keldeo's commands as well.

Alright, sorry for the delay. Start with a Taunt. If they try a Dynamic Punch, use Aerial Ace to dodge away. If they're out of range, they Protect or Magic Coat or have something else up that would block a Taunt, or you can't Taunt them for some other reason, use Drain Punch for energy. For the next two actions, default to Drain Punch for energy. If you haven't already taunted Nebuchadnezzar, use Taunt, as long as he is in range and does not have something up that would block it, such as Magic Coat or Protect; if he has either of those up, use Drain Punch for energy. If they try Dynamic Punch, Bind, or Mud-Slap, or if you can't use the move you're supposed to use for some reason, use Aerial Ace to dodge away from him. Use it to run towards him if you're far enough away that you won't be able to use Drain Punch next action. If at any time Nebuchadnezzar uses Dig, follow him down (or out of) the hole using Aerial Ace and proceed with your commands.

Taunt / Aerial Ace / Drain Punch (energy) x3

Last edited:
Alright, here we go. Neb, we're going for another gutsy move here. Put on your cape and your red gloves, because we're about to deliver a punch so hard it will break through even the fourth wall. Use Focus Punch while Toby uses Taunt, and make it count.

Afterwards, try to attack Toby with a Mud-Slap. I say "try" because it's not going to work, of course. Toby will use Aerial Ace to dodge out of range of your attack, but this is fine, because that's exactly where you want him to be! See, this works both ways... If Toby moves out of range of your Mud-Slap, then you'll also be out of range of his Drain Punch. If indeed this is the case, he'll be forced to use Aerial Ace again to close the gap, and this is also fine, because you still have a lot of health to spare. On this last turn, attack Toby with an Icy Wind, and try to do so while keeping a ranged distance, if possible.

Good luck, Neb! Give it your best now, and you should be able to finish your opponent off next round.

Focus Punch ~ Mud-Slap ~ Icy Wind

[size=+2]Vipera Magnifica vs Keldeo: Round Three[/size]

3 vs 3

kecleon
███████████ 100% Health
██████ 55% Energy
Condition: Still going strong.
Commands: Focus Punch ~ Mud-Slap ~ Icy Wind

Team Keldeo (OOO)
pangoro
Toby (M) the Pangoro
████ 37% Health
██████████ 91% Energy
Condition: Despairing.
Commands: Taunt / Aerial Ace / Drain Punch (energy) x3

Nebuchadnezzar is still going so strong, and Toby feels so weak, that when the lizard begins charging up another Focus Punch, his foe can’t even bring himself to interrupt it. ”Yeah, just freakin’ destroy me,” Toby shouts with a mixture of resignation and sarcasm. ”Bet you won’t. I bet you’ll chicken out. You little—” He’s interrupted by a heavy-hitting blow to the face, but his plan was successful: Nebuchadnezzar is positively fuming, and Toby’s sure there’s only pain to come in his future.

With that in mind, he tenses his muscles in preparation to hustle away if necessary. After a few moments of glaring back and forth, Nebuchadnezzar leans down and moves to grab a handful of mud, but quick as a flash, Toby jumps away with a surge of energy and completes his Aerial Ace attack by splitting a bush in half a few dozen feet away. Foiled, Nebuchadnezzar frustratedly tosses his lump of mud across the field, but it falls far short with a dissatisfying squelch.

Toby realizes that by getting out of range of the Kecleon’s attacks, he has also put the Kecleon out of range of his own attacks. He’s pretty sure he can’t win at this point, but he dutifully obeys Keldeo’s orders to move back into range with another burst of speed, his claws glowing with Flying-type energy as he lands a heavy blow right down the middle of his foe’s stripe, its color a deep maroon to indicate its Fighting type. Feeling a twinge of pain — more to his dignity than his body, to be honest — Nebuchadnezzar responds by backing away and letting loose a freezing blast of air from his mouth. Toby nearly feels the damage cap set in again as the ice crystals pelt his fur, but he only narrowly avoids the cool, soothing glow’s trigger as the round ends.

kecleon
█████████ 88% Health
████ 40% Energy
Condition: A little winded, but still able to keep going.
Commands used: Focus Punch ~ Mud-Slap ~ Icy Wind

Team Keldeo (OOO)
pangoro
Toby (M) the Pangoro
2% Health
█████████ 81% Energy
Speed: 39
Condition: Hanging on by a thread.
Commands used: Taunt ~ Aerial Ace ~ Aerial Ace

Last Round

kecleon 100% health, 55% energy
pangoro 37% health, 91% energy

Action One

Nebuchadnezzar prepares Focus Punch.

Toby uses Taunt.
~ Taunt has 100% accuracy, so it hits without needing a roll.
~ Nebuchadnezzar is taunted (3 actions left).

Nebuchadnezzar uses Focus Punch.
~ Focus Punch has 100% accuracy, so it hits without needing a roll.
~ Focus Punch’s critical hit domain is 1 (5%). It fails to crit with a roll of 25.
~ Base damage 15% + 3.75 for STAB + no stat changes + 0 EXP bonus × 1.5 since Dark is weak to Fighting = 28.125 rounded down = 28 + 2 for Expert Belt = Toby takes 30% damage.
~ Base energy 9% - 1 for STAB + 1 for Expert Belt = Nebuchadnezzar expends 9% energy.

Nebuchadnezzar is taunted (2 actions left).

kecleon 100% health, 46% energy
pangoro 7% health, 88% energy

Action Two

Toby waits to see what Nebuchadnezzar will do.

Nebuchadnezzar begins to use Mud-Slap.

Toby dodges using Aerial Ace.
~ Aerial Ace is aimed away from Nebuchadnezzar, so no accuracy or damage calcs are needed.
~ Base energy 3% = Toby expends 3% energy.

Nebuchadnezzar uses Mud-Slap.
~ Mud-Slap cannot hit because Toby is out of range.
~ Base energy 2% = Nebuchadnezzar expends 2% energy.

Nebuchadnezzar is taunted (1 action left).

kecleon 100% health, 44% energy
pangoro 7% health, 85% energy

Action Three

Toby uses Aerial Ace to close the gap with Neb and land a hit.
~ Aerial Ace never misses.
~ Aerial Ace’s critical hit domain is 1 (5%). It fails to crit with a roll of 19.
~ Base power 6% + not STAB + no stat changes + 1 EXP bonus × 1.5 since Fighting is weak to Flying = 10.5 rounded down + 2 for Expert Belt = Nebuchadnezzar takes 12% damage.
~ Base energy 3% + 1 for Expert Belt = Toby expends 4% energy.

Nebuchadnezzar uses Icy Wind.
~ Icy Wind has 95% accuracy. It hits with a roll of 59.
~ Icy Wind’s critical hit domain is 1 (5%). It fails to crit with a roll of 11.
~ Base power 5.5 + not STAB + no stat changes + 0 EXP bonus × 1 for the standard type matchup = 5.5 rounded down = Toby takes 5% damage.
~ Base energy 4% = Nebuchadnezzar expends 4% energy.
~ Toby’s Speed is lowered by one stage. His new Speed is 58 × 0.67 = 38.67 rounded to 39.

Nebuchadnezzar is no longer taunted.

kecleon 88% health, 40% energy
pangoro 2% health, 81% energy

Arena
The cool breeze blows gently in Victory Road’s ancient ruins, which remain intact despite the battle raging within them. Well... mostly intact. A bush has been cut in half, but surely that doesn't really count as Asberian destruction.

Notes:
1. Speed order: Nebuchadnezzar (40) > Toby (39).
2. Since Nebuchadnezzar was taunted before he could move on action one, that action counted toward the taunt’s timer.
3. Toby was able to use the high speed associated with the Aerial Ace attack to move quickly out of range of Nebuchadnezzar’s physical strikes on action two. By moving the same distance (back into range) on action three, he was able to get just close enough to land a blow at the end of his movement.
4. Apologies for the delay! I really hope I got everything right this time! Let me know if I need to fix anything.
Next round, VM commands first, followed by Keldeo.

Last edited:
Right, now that we're just barely faster, there shouldn't be too much of a problem finishing off that Pangoro. Go for the Power-Up Punch KO. The only thing that can really stop you is a Protect, so if Toby uses Protect before you can complete your attack, use Feint to break through it. If, due to some unforeseen circumstances, Toby manages to outspeed you and use Rest, then wail away on him with Drain Punch (energy).

Power-Up Punch / Feint / Drain Punch (energy) x3

Back
Top Bottom