• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Accents

Jester

Tales of TCoD is back. JOIN IT
What is yours?

Personally I tend to switch between a New England accent and a Southern accent. Neither of which I should truly have because I've lived in Montana my whole life. But my whole family is from New England, So I've picked it up quite a bit from talking to them. Really no clue where the Southern accent came from though.

Bog-standard English accent. Basically just a boring form of RP but not as posh.

I say PYOR not PYUR (pure) and YIR not YEER (year) though when nobody else here does. I've got random Welsh and Scottish bits from when I used to live there.

First it was Australian. Then it was some unholy combination of Australian and Irish. Now it's more English than anything else, but not much of that either.

Standard American English; on rare occasions I will lapse into either a New York or Southern accent when I speak quickly or carelessly, but yeah. I don't have an accent as far as Americans are concerned.

I would love to hear what an Australian-Irish accent sounds like, though.

I think I have "Generic American Accent" most of the time, although my friends say when I'm really mad I grow a West Virginia accent. :(

Same as both Kratos and Spaekle really. I ask my friends what accent I have and they say I don't really have a specific regional one, it's just a Generic one. Sometimes I'll have some hints of Spanish pronunciation in my words though, I guess due to me learning Spanish first. (I'm far more fluent in English than in Spanish though and consider it my primary language.)

Sometimes too, because I talk to British people so much, a bit of their own accents slip in and I get all mixed up and confused.

In general though, my pronunciation in some cases is really whacked out, and makes little sense because I've always had problems pronouncing things. I was born in the North, went to the South when I was 7 (and am still there as of this moment), but raised by parents who came from another Spanish speaking country, so I guess all of that sort of mixed into this weird Generic American thing.

Last edited:
I don't really have one, but I do sometimes slip into a little country twang , probably because country music is my favorite genre.

I used to have Australian, but had random British (yes there is a difference) bits and words blended in. But later then somehow it combined and gave me a kind of British - Australian accent. I can also pull of a Southern really well, since I was forced to learn it for a play, but it is rare.

Oklahoma/hick with a slight Arab tone due to being half-Lebanese.

When I say "y'all" it comes out retarded.

Last edited:
Guys, everyone has an accent.

Scottish, obviously, but it's flatter than what you'd hear on TV (because Violent Glaswegians are the only people in Scotland according to even Scottish TV).

I've got a Standard American Accent normally, with a bit of southern in there 'cause half my family's from Kansas so I'm around them a lot. When I get mad though I tend to start talking in one of those "inner-city rapper kid" accents. I'm really not sure why that is.

I don't have a strong Jersey accent, but it's probably there. I mean compared to everyone else, it's not there at all, but traveling outside the state? I stick out.

In Spanish, my accent is more "Americanized" then normal, but very Peruvian, or 'cholo' as my folks call it.

Guys, everyone has an accent.

Of course everyone has an accent; it's just how much it deviates from whatever the "standard" for that country's accent is. Hence "as far as Americans are concerned".

...this is all assuming that you'd equate "standard" with "unaccented", which I suppose isn't necessarily true depending on how you look at it. People do look at it that way, though, so. :I

Of course everyone has an accent; it's just how much it deviates from whatever the "standard" for that country's accent is. Hence "as far as Americans are concerned".

...this is all assuming that you'd equate "standard" with "unaccented", which I suppose isn't necessarily true depending on how you look at it. People do look at it that way, though, so. :I

Well uh, they're wrong? Having a standard accent for your country != unaccented.

I don't really understand what you're saying...?

Presumably the standard accent is the baseline from which other accents are deviating. If you equate standard with unaccented, then when you're asked what "accent" you have, you're asked about your deviation from the standard.

That isn't the correct definition of accent, and I know that, but at least in the United States a Standard/General AmE accent is often considered "unaccented" or even "proper". Ask an American whether or not I speak with an accent, and they will probably say no.

EDIT:

Wikipedia's Accent article said:
When a group defines a standard pronunciation, speakers who deviate from it are often said to "speak with an accent". People from the United States would "speak with an accent" from the point of view of an Australian, and vice versa. Accents such as BBC English or General American may sometimes be erroneously designated in their countries of origin as "accentless" to indicate that they offer no obvious clue to the speaker's regional background.

Last edited:
By all rights I should have a Bahston accent (that's "boston") but as far as I can tell I don't; it's just standard American with a little touch of this and that.

Most of the time, General American. I can speak Southern American English to a degree. English English isn't challenging at all, but regional slang is out of my reach.

I've been told my destiny is to be a voice actor because I can do a myriad of accents.

since I live in Western Australia I have more of a british-like accent (edit: it's called 'british received/general Austalian English'; less like Steve Irwin and more like Jesse Spencer). I've heard that australian english is the most relaxed of accents so we can imitate other accents really well. Or something. I've been told I can pull off an American accent pretty well~

But australian english is awesome fun. Where else can you go to the servo in the arvo to get some snags for the barbie?

I'm also aware Australian english tends to end on a high, so everything ends like a question? And I'm told not many other countries do that?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom