• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Accents

I guess I could do both some sort of standard American and standard British.

But it's my Swedish accent that really shines! Oh yeah, I'm an ace there!

...I'm trying so hard to wean from it ,_,

Welsh accent. Cardiffian specifically but it isn't very strong because most people here sound more Cardiff than I do (and I hate the way it sounds :( not as bad as Swansea though!)

Presumably the standard accent is the baseline from which other accents are deviating. If you equate standard with unaccented, then when you're asked what "accent" you have, you're asked about your deviation from the standard.

That isn't the correct definition of accent, and I know that, but at least in the United States a Standard/General AmE accent is often considered "unaccented" or even "proper". Ask an American whether or not I speak with an accent, and they will probably say no.

EDIT:

... So you're just explaining why people erroneously tell others that they have 'no accent'? Er, okay, then. I have no beef?

Whatever accent I have is pretty undefinable, as I was born in the North but raised in the South.

So, yeah, people around here say that I sound like a yankee and people up there get offended when I call them "Ma'am". :/ So it's basically some ungodly mix of northern and southern accents that generally just sounds like a monotone/the baseline American English accent.

General American, but with some weird touches:

I tend to affricate my 'd's before so that "I do" sounds like [aɪ dzu]. My 'd' and 't' are also more dental than alveolar.

My 'r' is a bunched r (retroflex approximant is the term, I think?) compared to the usual alveolar approximant.

I flap my 't's even in situations where most Americans would prefer to glottalize the t and go with a syllabic n. I would say "gotten" as ['gɑɾɨn] rather than ['gɑtn:] (syllabic 'n' is rare in my accent).

I call frying pans "saucepans".

Sometimes I randomly adopt English intonation, especially when asking questions. I don't do it on purpose; it comes from having watched English shows, I suppose.

My accent's not really that exciting, honestly. :x Someone once mistook me for an Irishwoman "because of my accent" (???) and someone else once said I sounded like I was from the north-east of the US. I grew up in South Florida.

I used to have Australian, but had random British (yes there is a difference)
ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

mine is typical northern English but it randomly goes Yorkshire, Scouse or Brummie at times lol.

Standard american, except...
I never look at the dictionary pronunciation guides, so I say a lot of words wrong. A word with more than three syllables, when I say it, will always have the first syllable long and the last syllable short.
Also, I've been taking Latin, so I roll my r's a little, v's are pronounced like w's, and all vowels are pronounced a little funny...
Most of my a's make the sound you think of in 'father'.
e's make an 'eh' sound.
i's make whatever sound they feel like, and o's are the same way.
I'm not really sure what sound u's make, but my y's sound rather sharp.

Also, whenever I feel strongly about something, I start speaking in a monotone and use words like 'ma'am' and 'sir' and 'please' and 'acknowledge' a lot more. Especially when I'm angry. Yeah. (Crazy, I know right?)

And when I'm happy I squeak.

And I also have a stage voice, which is completely iambic. Yup.

Welsh accent. Cardiffian specifically but it isn't very strong because most people here sound more Cardiff than I do (and I hate the way it sounds :( not as bad as Swansea though!)

hahahahahahahaha swansea accents are fucking terrible.

I have a Welsh valleys accent, specifcally an Afan valley accent. WELSH ACCENTS ARE INCREDIBLY NUMEROUS AND VARIED.

I'm not entirely sure. I normally talk very fast, but English doesn't come naturally enough for me for that to work, so everything tends to come out pretty garbled. I'd say American with bits of British, French and Obvious Non-Native Speaker thrown in.

And yes, I am aware that simply saying "American" and "British" doesn't convey much to a person who actually lives in the US/UK. Bear with me.

I have a very adaptable accent. I used to have a general Australian accent, but since I moved to the US, I have a California accent, and have no trace of my Aussie accent. Even when I am talking to someone with a strong accent, I find myself somewhat mimicking them. I can imitate about any accent, especially British, French, Southern US, or Russian.

Mine's kind of hard to judge, as it's pretty generically-American. However, if I just don't care, I tend to slip into a Southern accent. (I say "ain't", "y'all", "ma'am", and drop "g"s from the end of words a lot) My southern accent isn't really what you typically think of one, though. It's Southern Illinois southern, which is sort of like the bastard child of Midwestern and Dixie. It's a grating sound and I try to distance myself from it as much as possible.

First it was Australian. Then it was some unholy combination of Australian and Irish. Now it's more English than anything else, but not much of that either.

I hear a bit of Irish in it, but it's mostly... just...vaguely British? That's what I remember.

I have some cross between Canadian and English.

I've somehow managed to avoid the dreaded northeast Ohioan accent (for the most part), don't even ask me how. General American, with a few touches of Pittsburgh here and there. I can occasionally be caught throwing a 'yins' and 'annat' in here and there, but not nearly as often as my dad.

Generic southern English accent I guess. I've heard a specific "Oxfordshire accent" referred to once but whoever said it was probably just silly. I'm quite good at putting on accents, though.

(Also I love how typing in a west country accent makes you look a bit like a pirate.)

I have a rather basic Northern American accent, due to being born in New England, but then my family moved to the South when I was 6. Since then, my accent has sort of combined with a Southern accent, but it sort of comes and goes depending on who I'm talking to. It's really kind of strange; you'll hear me talking in a Northern accent when I'll say phrases like "y'all", "ain't", and "fixin'" out of nowhere, or you'll hear me speaking with a slight twinge of Southern when you'll hear me talking about "pop" instead of soda. Backwards of how it should be. Yeah.

Also, for some reason I'll never understand, when I sing in my extreme upper register, my voice suddenly snaps from a Northern accent to straight-up Irish. It wouldn't be so bad, except I'm a frickin' falsetto...and my voice CARRIES...so it truly is wierd, considering I have no ties to Ireland save through heritage. That's why I don't sing much, despite being a diehard fan of Journey and Def Leppard. So you'll hear me in the refrain: "Don't stop...believin'!" In a lilting Irish vernacular so it sounds like Lisa Kelly is doing warm-ups in the other room. o_O

Last edited:
I have an ever-so-slightly Anglicised and Americanised South Tipperary townie accent but I hang around with culchies a lot and my cousin is a scanger so I've picked up some of their mannerisms, it's really obvious when I say "Howeya?" or when I say "Yeh" instead of "Yeah". According to some of my American friends, my accent fits into the "stereotypically sexy Irish accent" category.

Standard English.

...most of the time. I spend too much time talking in either Australian or British accents, so sometimes I catch myself saying stuff like "a'ight then?". So Australian... sorta.

Oh, I also talk loud and squeak sometimes. And I growl when I'm mad. :x

Back
Top Bottom