• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Attacks and Abilities Guide

Can a Pokemon attack its own Substitute? I understand it would try to dodge, but in the case of a move like Swift or Psychic, I don't see it being able to avoid a hit.

It can, and a substitute actually has no instinct for self-preservation: it will not try to avoid any attacks, only block those that might harm its master.

Not signature moves, but it can copy chatter, since my guess is the only reason it can't do that in the games is the recording thing.

Question onslaught activate!

Can the swarm of insects summoned by attack/defend/heal order be commanded to remain in a specific form/shape (like all those cliché bee swarms in the cartoons), specifically without the use of psychic powers? How long could they hold this shape, and how easily would they be able to move while in that shape (e.g., they are told to take the shape of a dog and then make the dog run after a thrown stick)? If something like this would work, would one of the three moves be more likely to work than the others? I'd think defend order, as those aren't summoned for the express purpose of kamikaze-attacking things/draining themselves, but would it matter?

More generally, could you command the insects from any of these moves to do things other than attack/shield/heal, even if only briefly?

And how would beat up work in a contest situation? If the user is the only pokémon on stage, would it fail? If it had a partner, could it only summon one shadow teammate? Do the shadow teammates have to look like actual teammates, or can they look like something else (e.g. the user)?

Last edited:
Could moves like Egg Bomb or Energy Ball be broken into smaller pieces and thrown in quick succession, if only for the purposes of an appeal?
No. Use barrage or something.

Question onslaught activate!

Can the swarm of insects summoned by attack/defend/heal order be commanded to remain in a specific form/shape (like all those cliché bee swarms in the cartoons), specifically without the use of psychic powers? How long could they hold this shape, and how easily would they be able to move while in that shape (e.g., they are told to take the shape of a dog and then make the dog run after a thrown stick)? If something like this would work, would one of the three moves be more likely to work than the others? I'd think defend order, as those aren't summoned for the express purpose of kamikaze-attacking things/draining themselves, but would it matter?

More generally, could you command the insects from any of these moves to do things other than attack/shield/heal, even if only briefly?

And how would beat up work in a contest situation? If the user is the only pokémon on stage, would it fail? If it had a partner, could it only summon one shadow teammate? Do the shadow teammates have to look like actual teammates, or can they look like something else (e.g. the user)?
Attack and heal order bugs can be made to briefly assume a rough shape, but they won't stay around long before dispersing. Defend order bugs can form and hold a simple shape for as long as they remain on the field (indefinitely unless actively removed). Once in a shape it would take another action to have them change it, and they are not capable of carefully-coordinated feats like in-concert movement. Telling them to make something like a dog would be about as complex as any shape you could ask them to make without it being unrecognizable, and that would be pushing it a little.

The bugs are only around to attack/defend/heal and don't understand many commands more exciting than that.

On to beat up. Badass as this appeal idea was, beat up wouldn't summon anything unless there were one or more other pokémon on your team for that appeal round, and if there were all it would do would be to get them involved in the attack. Because there are no defined teams for contests, there is also no summoning shadow teammates.

Beat Up does 10 damage for each other member of our team, right?

Because although the idea is cool, it's a horrid move in-game because of how little damage it does.

It's 10 for each pokémon you have remaining in the match, so if it's a 3vs3 and one of your pokémon has fainted, it has 20 base power. I'll probably make it 20x remaining pokémon in the next attack guide revision to make it a bit more usable.

It's 10 for each pokémon you have remaining in the match, so if it's a 3vs3 and one of your pokémon has fainted, it has 20 base power. I'll probably make it 20x remaining pokémon in the next attack guide revision to make it a bit more usable.

...wait a second.

How would you know what Pokemon you'd be sending out next? I mean, it's not like you choose which 3 Pokemon you'd select later on at the beginning of the match. You pick them out of your party.

The attack's description never specifies that the 'shadowy apparitions' are in the form of your teammates, so it's probably not too important which Pokémon it's using for its power. At least, I think that's right.

EDIT: Can Color Change, Conversion, etc. utilize Curse to become ???-type?

EDIT (2): Can Kecleon use Color Change to change its color at will? For that matter, could it make itself totally invisible save the stripy thing on its stomach?

EDIT (3): Can Kecleon use its own moves to activate its Color Change?

Last edited:
...wait a second.

How would you know what Pokemon you'd be sending out next? I mean, it's not like you choose which 3 Pokemon you'd select later on at the beginning of the match. You pick them out of your party.
The pokémon are chosen arbitrarily out of your active squad for any slots that haven't already been shown.

The attack's description never specifies that the 'shadowy apparitions' are in the form of your teammates, so it's probably not too important which Pokémon it's using for its power. At least, I think that's right.

EDIT: Can Color Change, Conversion, etc. utilize Curse to become ???-type?

EDIT (2): Can Kecleon use Color Change to change its color at will? For that matter, could it make itself totally invisible save the stripy thing on its stomach?

EDIT (3): Can Kecleon use its own moves to activate its Color Change?
Kecleon cannot choose to change its type via color change, and it can't trigger its own ability, either. Only damaging attacks used by other pokémon can cause color change to trigger. It can become invisible-save-for-belly-stripe, and it doesn't take an action to do so.

??? isn't a recognized type and so stuff like conversion can't select it either.

Last edited:
If Kecleon has Double Team clones and then turns invisible, do the clones disappear, or turn invisible also (and reappear when Kecleon becomes visible again)? What about substitutes?

Back
Top Bottom