• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Backwards Mafia [D7]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Backwards Mafia [D6]

I think Mai is suspicious of me because I haven't been posting much. Which makes sense, I guess. Although, I really haven't been too active in any of the mafia games I'm in recently, and that's more because of "I don't really care anymore" or "I don't have time" than "I don't have any leads".

I don't know if I've roleclaimed or not, but I'm a simple townie. Not one of the ones who've died, though.

I understand that we'd like the assistance of as many townies as possible, but the problem is that they are not assisting. Every game I play I call out inactive players, and every game I play I haven't shied away from lynching them (unless there was a more immediately important target, of course) if they don't at least do us the courtesy of saying "yes I am still paying attention" because, even if they are town, they are incredibly unhelpful town and tend to make the game less enjoyable. :/ If the only people left are a bunch of players who aren't talking then all that means is the game drags on and the mafia picks them off completely uncontested, so if they're not going to help anyway then what does it matter if they die early? It's harsh, I know, and it's not a popular opinion, but when I am town I expect the support of the rest of my town so that the game is actually engaging and fun. My stance on that isn't changing.

That said, though, Eifie makes a valid point—while I don't necessarily think there's any especial harm in sacrificing someone who has outright said they're not really paying attention anymore, especially in a game where we're trying to avoid getting ourselves lynched at random, when that someone is all but guaranteed to be an innocent then taking a stab in the dark is more likely to get the results you need.

(I guess there's also the possibility that Light is an alien? Now I think about it maybe lynching him is a little hasty, although then again since Tailsy was pretty much confirmed as the alien source of the first night's no-kill then he could really only have been activated last night unless there was doctor clash before, and he was saying he didn't really care for a day or two before today, so... eh. Ramble ramble tired run-on sentence aaaaaliensss.)

My point being, Flower Doll. Momentary confusion surrounding bulbasaur and Light aside, she was who I said was contributing least after Glace, so I might as well stick to my original guns.

I am currently busytired but at some point I'd like to gather up a list of who's dead/claiming to be dead/has claimed to have what role and all that. Someone else feel free to jump in and contribute something, of course, if you'd like to before I have a chance to get to it. :D

October 11th, 2011

Desperation has pushed me closer and closer to the city's center, where there is the greatest chance that I will be spotted and apprehended, but also the greatest chance that I might learn something that would put me back onto the trail of the organization. I've been floating adrift, chased down blind alleys by the whims of the spirits and buffeted by the necessities of survival. It would be too easy for me to slip into this marginal existence forever, to forget who I was and where my duty lies. I have to take action before all impetus flees me.

As it happened, I was to experience both capture and revelation today. I was staying to the edge of the crowd, all too able to pretend that I was another homeless person begging for aid, when I was approached by a young man. "Professor Stanburg?" he asked, eyes screwed up and head cocked to one side as he approached.

I took a step back, not sure if I should flee. To do so would draw more attention to myself than I wanted; better if I could deflect this one man's attention without making a scene. "No," I grunted, and turned away from him, but he went on as though he hadn't heard me.

"It is you, isn't it? But what happened to you? You look terrible."

Who was he? A former student? A junior faculty member? I felt I hadn't seen him before in my life, but it's so hard for me to be sure of anything these days. I wasn't prepared for him to reach out and seize my shoulder, nor for the blast of yelling from the spirits that assaulted me as he did so.

He was saying something, trying to guide me somewhere, and I could only stagger along, trying to remain standing despite my hazing vision and the pounding in my head. His words reached me as if from a great distance, tinny and meaningless--"Here, come on, why don't we get something to eat? We can talk then. I can't believe I saw you there--do you know how hard they've been looking for you?"

Though the clamor for blood and violence was still booming against the inside of my skull, that last range through loud and clear. I managed to pull away, dragging my arm out of his grip and turning to flee. I'm sure he called after me, but I couldn't hear, not with the dead calling for me to turn around again and strike him down. I was half-blind, not caring for the people I shoved aside in my flight. Streets flashed past, half-noticed, as I ran back into the warren of urban decay. Eventually, I flung myself down behind a dumpster, choking on each painful breath, and rested my pounding temples against the heels of my hands.

I hadn't even noticed his pursuit, though I suppose it was lucky he chose to follow. Even as I was cursing the jabbering voices that would not recede, the sound of footsteps cut through their clamor, and I scrabbled to grab a half-rotted hunk of wood jutting from a pile of rubbish next to me and scrambled to my feet, stepping out to confront whoever it was strolling through the alley. It was him, of course.

I swung the beam without thinking, goaded on by bloodthirsty spirits, but he caught it without apparent effort and wrenched it out of my hands. "Come on, now. I'm not going to hurt you. I'm here to help you." His tone was soothing, as though he were talking to a dangerous animal--which I suppose I was, at that point. But he was smiling, almost smirking, and he tossed the piece of wood aside as casually as could be.

It was suddenly easy to concentrate on his words, as though the spirits thought I needed no more prompting to do as they commanded. As ever, they proved far wiser than I. For the man spread his hands and said, "I suppose you think there's no way out for you now. But that's not true. You could be very useful to our organization, you know--much more useful alive than dead. Working against us clearly isn't doing you any good. I can assure you that we'd treat you much better than your... present colleagues have." He took a step forward, hands spread. "Certainly we wouldn't leave you living out on the streets like discarded rubbish."

He was expecting me to pull away, or maybe be too stunned to do anything at all. I threw my weight forward, slamming an elbow into his chest and knocking him off-balance. He fell backwards, and I scrambled around him to retrieve my makeshift weapon. He was rising as I swung it as hard as I could into his head. It struck true, the impact jarring my arm so badly that I dropped it, but he only shook his head and laughed before regaining his feet.

"Well, you didn't really let me get the chance to finish my offer," he said, "But perhaps you can guess that things won't be very pleasant for you if you decide to refuse."

I imagine he expected me to be intimidated, but it was almost a relief. There is some measure of regret to killing even the most deserving human being, but the demonborn are a different matter, and they are not quite as impervious as they would like people to believe.

There is a prayer to ward off evil. It works well enough, if you do not contaminate it with the evil in your own heart. There is a prayer to smite evil, and it works, too, if not in a very general way. But with the anger of the departed to aid you and only a very small target that you need to make vulnerable, it is very effective indeed. I swept up two of the largest shards of the shattered board and made ready.

Let them wonder, at the police department, why their latest homicide had stakes rammed through both his eyes.

Flower Doll is dead. She was mafia.

Forty-eight hours for night actions.

October 17th, 2011

The killings have picked up again. I'm sure the police are baffled, but it's clear to me they're growing desperate. The organization wouldn't have sent a demonborn to find me if all was going well. Whatever they're scheming, they must be rushing to finish, and, if I am lucky, they may make a mistake.

It was I that made the first mistake, though. After what had happened with the demonborn, I should have been much more vigilant. But I wasn't able to resist temptation and was drawn out of hiding by my desire to snatch a newspaper. For my inattention, though, there is no excuse.

This time it wasn't a member of the organization that waylaid me. "So. How's the life of crime treating you?" was how Inspector Bittern greeted me, and I likely would have fled if she hadn't swooped in and seized my arm while I was still too surprised to act. In that moment, it was all I could do to resist the sudden surge of enmity from the spirits. Here, at least, was someone I could be quite sure had nothing to do with the organization.

"Don't look so terrified," she said. "We're in the same boat now, you and me. Here, why don't we take a walk together?"

I was too confused to protest, and she steered me away from the main thoroughfare, dragging me along with her usual swift, long strides, and jabbering away all the while as though nothing could be more natural. Her words stunned me at least as much as her sudden appearance. "Now, I don't imagine you've been keeping up with the news, so you probably don't know that they've taken me off the investigation."

She talked straight over my strangled noise of consternation. "In some ways it's a hindrance, but there are still enough people loyal to me in the department that I'm not going to be excluded from things entirely. And in some ways, it's a blessing. It frees me up to do a few things that some people might not consider entirely aboveboard. Like welcome you back to the team." She grinned into my perplexed look.

"But how did you find me?"

"Not now. You've got a date with a corpse, and I could only arrange to clear everybody out for a short period of time." Indeed, I could see a tangle of police tape at the end of the street, the site suspiciously unmanned. And, as promised, sprawled on the pavement was a dead body, a man in his early forties perhaps, in jeans and a sweatshirt emblazoned with the name of the university--my university. Inspector Bittern dragged me up beside him, then let me go at last, standing back to let me investigate.

Instead, I turned to her and asked, "Why did they take you off the case?"

She produced a toothy, bitter smile and spread her hands. "It's been nearly two months. Dozens of people are dead, and the investigation is getting nowhere. Honestly, they should have done it weeks ago."

"There's nobody they could replace you with that would be better, though," I pointed out.

She had to laugh at that. "Well, maybe not. But can you blame them for trying?" She shoved her hands in her pockets and half turned away from me. "Come on. We don't have much time, here." She indicated the corpse. "Not a mark on him. Creepy."

I let her commentary wash over me, only half-listening as I looked over the body. The inspector's assertion was correct; he bore no sign of injury, or even of trauma. His expression was calm, and he looked as though he had simply fallen where he stood, not running or fighting for his life.

"How long do you think we have before they come to take the body in to autopsy?" asked.

"Not long. Maybe half an hour. It may take me a little while to get the results back."

"I don't know. It might not take long." If I am correct about what had killed the man, he will pose quite a puzzle for the coroner, but one that won't take much time to investigate. At the least if they are calling on such powerful magic as this, they must be nearing the end of their preparations. One way or another, this can't go on for much longer.

A fishing brother is dead.

Forty-eight hours for discussion.

Last edited:
...Uh oh.

Someone is going to get axed now that a Fishing brother is gone...though, unless I've missed the other brother being killed, shouldn't there be another body?

I guess either the living brother targeted someone who was protected by a doctor, or they targeted one of the civilians who is dead but hasn't admitted to it.

It's day seven already? Whoa. I guess this has to be a mafia kill since there are no other killing roles, so. And fishing brothers know who the other is, and when one dies the living one gets to vigkill someone the next night iirc.

Ah, you're right. The way the role is usually played around here the revenge kill happens on the same night (and is only on the following night if the other brother dies via lynching), but Negrek is playing it differently. Well, there you go, I guess.

Well at first I was going to wait a little but then I realized oh derp the mafia would know I died pretty much and wouldn't risk me coming out and saying they're lying so.

I'm finally dead. I'd confirm my fishing brother, but some of you will probably be suspicious of me enough and that would probably just put a big target on them. I could vote for myself to prove my deadness and I'm willing to do that, but that's just a waste of a phase (at least for me) if we have nothing else.

Lynching is pretty important; I have a few of my own ideas (and considering the case of Flower Doll I'm a lot more open to inactive lynching) but first I want to know if all of you are going to insist on me proving myself dead.

I'm willing to believe Mai for now, I think. It wouldn't be the smartest thing for the mafia to claim a dead fishing brother when both of the fishing brothers could expose them for lying.

Assuming that all the roleclaims we've had so far have been truthful (of course, we can't count on that), I think we're left with seven people: Chief Zackrai, HighMoon, Grass King, me, Windswept Questant, Windyragon, and Kratos Aurion. One of those seven would be our unclaimed dead civilian, one would be our other fishing brother, and two of them would have to be doctors. That leaves three. We've lynched two mafia so far and we started with seventeen people; I'd expect 4-5 mafia in a game of seventeen, but I think I tend to overestimate mafia:others ratios, so I think four would be a safe guess? 3/17 seems like too few. Well, two of the people left over would probably be mafia, and the last one could be a doctor, a civilian, mafia, an alien, or an inspector (with the last two being, I think, far less likely).

Well, I've had some thoughts on some of those other six! HighMoon has been posting enough not to stand out as particularly active or inactive, but she's only been posting right at the start of a day phase, and a lot of her posts have only served to make vague comments about what went on the previous night. I also sort of wondered a little about Chief Zackrai, who suggested that Phantom's inspections were unreliable (either because she was lying or paranoid/insane) after she revealed Butterfree as mafia. He was quick to change his mind and vote for Butterfree after a couple of posts, though. I thought he might've been trying to quickly backtrack in order to avoid drawing any suspicion to himself, but of course it definitely could have been an honest mistake (he said he hadn't read the entire thread).

I can't really recall what I noticed about any of the other people who haven't claimed, and I don't have time to reread the thread right now, so I guess I can see what other people have to say and maybe I will think on this more later!

Last edited:
Just want to say I'm dead but still paying attention. But I agree. Zackrai does sound suspicious, sadly though I have no way of proving it.

We've had two unclaimed dead civilians, haven't we? (yes, I think we do; I could've sworn I remembered someone else admitting to be dead, but I don't remember who it was and I can't find the post again? uuuuhgghgh whatever)

I don't think anyone has any way of proving anything, really. :/ I will say that moony's posts tend to be early and vague in every game I've seen her in, so I figure that's more of a habit than particularly suspicious behavior. Zackrai's as good as anyone else for now, I guess. Not boldvoting yet because I don't like to do that so early in the day, but considering he's been inactive on top of everything else... bleh.

Me posting early in a day is a habit of mine. Mostly due to me not knowing what to add to be helpful. Sorry if I tipped off anyone's radar with that.

We've had two unclaimed dead civilians, haven't we? (yes, I think we do; I could've sworn I remembered someone else admitting to be dead, but I don't remember who it was and I can't find the post again? uuuuhgghgh whatever)...

I think that was me, I claimed dead civvie a few posts back.

I'm finally dead. I'd confirm my fishing brother, but some of you will probably be suspicious of me enough and that would probably just put a big target on them. I could vote for myself to prove my deadness and I'm willing to do that, but that's just a waste of a phase (at least for me) if we have nothing else.

Lynching is pretty important; I have a few of my own ideas (and considering the case of Flower Doll I'm a lot more open to inactive lynching) but first I want to know if all of you are going to insist on me proving myself dead.

Oh, I forgot to say earlier that it wouldn't be such a waste of a phase to have you vote to prove that you're dead, would it? You could vote for yourself and we could have one person vote for what we decide to do today, and then we'll see whether or not there's a tie. I can't think of any reason not to try that, really, whether anybody very much doubts what you're saying or not.

On the subject of proving deadness, the still-living fishing brother might be able to use eir action to help us with that, too. I'm not sure how different the fishing brothers in this game are from the ones I'm used to; it seems like the one who's going to be revenge-killing will get to choose a target tonight, as opposed to choosing a target every night and killing the person e chose on the night that Mai died? If there's no one better for the fishing brother to target (right now it doesn't seem to me that there will be, and then e'd likely end up targeting an innocent), maybe e could target ole_schooler tonight. If they are in fact dead, that shouldn't have any effect.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom