• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Best Sprites?

What was the best Pokemon game sprites?

• Total voters

ZuZu

Ssh, I'm stealing Blastoise's awesome hats.
I was just thinking... What's the best generation of Pokemon sprites, to you? I think HG/SS is the most AMAZING generation! Well, you can even pick G/S/C if it's your favourite...

And at least tell us WHY you like it. LOL.

I like HG/SS sprites because of the shading and the new poses.

I know it's not much but I fail at expressing stuff like that.

Last edited:
I haven't seen the HG/SS sprites yet but they will be awesome I'm sure!

R/S/E

More original. Plus, D/P and Pt sprites messed up a few Pokemon, big time. For example, in D/P, Aerodactyl had WAY too big of a mouth!

D/P sprites are the best. Large, colorful, and move when they enter battle. From what I've seen from D/P, HG/SS sprites should be pretty good.

G/S/C for me.

It's not the older generations' faults that the sprites couldn't be colourful. Their shading was good, though, as were their poses. I'm not very fond of the HG/SS sprites, to be honest :| Just look at Jolteon.

Oh god, blahzy, I think I just threw up a little. 0__o

I like the newer generations. :P Yes, I'm shallow and like the newer and shinier ones. Is that such a terrible character flaw?

HG/SS's look nice, but some look very awkward. I have to say it's between the 1st and 2nd Gen for me. 1st because they were so funny, and 2nd for looking the best. My all time favorite sprite is Houndoom in Gold.

FR/LG to me.
While I like the larger size of the new sprites, FR/LG had a certain feel to it... The pokemon were more colorful than in Ruby/Sapphire, and they are skillfully made.

I haven't looked at HG/SS, but in Diamond at least the backsprites were nasty. There were a lot of beginner's mistakes in them. I not liek. l:<

The DPPt backsprites had hardly any shading at all, I know. Now I'm going off to see what the hell happened to Jolteon. -toddles off-

EDIT: OH MY GOD, WHAT THE HELL DID THEY DO TO MEWTWO, ONIX, JOLTEON, QUILAVA AND NINETALES??!!?!?!??!?!

You see what I mean now? xD; Sorry for any... suffering I forced on people, but it had to be done. *slaps Blastoise on the back*

Anyway, I found an article on what they call 'The Demise of Sprites'. It explains my opinion quite nicely.

Jolteon DPPt or HG/SS? Cause still... Aerodactyl in DPPt is one of the worst. Watch Rhyhorn in DP, and tell ME RHYHORN ISN'T HUMPING SOMETHING! X3

I'm not picking a poll option, because Red and Blue are a separate category from Yellow in my head. I might be am biased since it was my first game. I'm particularly a fan of Paras', Lapras', Dragonair's, Pikachu's, and the starters' (and evolutions') sprites.

Hmm...

Red/Blue(/Green): Some are okay, others are pretty bad... but in the "Vanilla Ice" way (maybe it's not really great or anything, but at least you can laugh at it and enjoy the silliness) rather than the "Internet memes" way (we'd all be better off if it didn't exist.) A lot of the Pokémon look goofy and deformed, but in most cases they still work... somehow.

Yellow: Somewhere between R/B/G and G/S/C. The good ones range from "like R/B/G but better looking" to G/S/C-level... but for some reason most of the bad ones in Yellow are the "horrible-bad" type, rather than the "funny-bad" type.

Gold/Silver/Crystal: Good.

R/S/E: Pretty good. Some of the bigger ones (Kyogre, Groudon) suffer due to their designs being too "big" and detailed to really fit into the small space they're given.

FR/LG: Usually indistinguishable from R/S/E. Occasionally better or worse. I can't see why FR/LG has a seperate poll option while Yellow doesn't... all of Yellow's sprites were completely different from R/B/G, while FR/LG only made new (and sometimes even then they didn't look that different) sprites for the 1st-gen Pokémon and maybe a few others.

D/P: Probably the best so far. Like R/S/E's but with more room to work with, so there's less "scrunched" ones (though some--Dialga, Palkia, Giratina in D/P--still manage to look scrunched) and the colors are generally better. They screwed a few of them up pretty bad, but overall I think D/P's sprites are the best so far.

Platinum: When they get them right, they're as good as D/P (or sometimes better! Dialga/Palkia/Giratina and a few others that had bad or "scrunched"-looking sprites before got a huge improvement between D/P and Platinum.) When they get them wrong, though... they get them very wrong. Like missing shading in obvious places, or putting them into completely retarded poses for no good reason, or lazily using a second-frame-of-an-animation pose as the first frame instead of actually coming up with a new sprite.

HG/SS: Haven't seen them in-game yet, but based on the few that I've seen on the Internet (mostly just the Smogon "HG/SS sprites are bad" article someone linked to)... it looks like the guys who made the bad sprites in Platinum are at it again. Lots of randomly awful shading (though I don't see why the Poliwrath is so bad; for something that's supposed to have "shading so offensively bad I can't describe it," it sure looks a lot better than all of the other examples of bad shading on that page.) And somehow they managed to make an even worse Mewtwo than the already-not-good D/P one. And I honestly can't see how anyone likes the new Lugia sprite... it's really, really bad. Of course, the ones in that article are probably just the really bad ones, and (like Platinum) it'll probably also have some that are much better than the ones in D/P... so I can't really say much here until I've seen more of the sprites.

Yeah, they had to go and ruin Mewtwo. But the Mew sprite is SO cute.

Am I the only one who thinks all the sprites in HG/SS are amazing. It may just come from how dang attractive Karen, Sabrina, and Dahlia are <3

I think a majority of the HG/SS sprites are amazing, Sneezy Sneasel Lover.
Some...
Some the Pokemon company just damn killed/ruined! I mean, look at Mewtwo! THEY RUINED MEWTWO!!! *cry*

The best sprites by far have to be the Yellow sprites. With a few exceptions, the proportions are correct, the poses are great, and the shading and color choices make the best of the limitations. HG/SS do have some plain bad sprites, but the sprites that are good are really good. Go see Marowak, Kabutops, Haunter, Snorlax, and Totodile for some examples.

G/S/C, while having great shading to work around the color limitations(fewer/no shades, so the heavy use of dithering works great here), have some really poor sprites for the new Pokemon. The 1st Gen monster; however, are improved upon from R/B, but the majority of which aren't really as great as Yellow.

R/S/E and FR/LG are okay. Some of them just feel a little stiff. Really, the only thing going for them are the additional colors used for shading.

D/P/Pt are sorta like HG/SS, except there are fewer good ones and, for the most part, feel like R/S/E sprites that were fitted with new colors and shading and more breathing room for the size. But by god, what did the 4th gen do to Machoke? D/P looks like a duck, while Pt and HG/SS he is just plain ugly.

My favorites are the 1st Gen sprites, just due to how dang hilarious they are(aside from Yellow, of course). BTW, Yellow really needs a seperate option, it's sprites are just that different from the other 1st Gen sprites.

This is all coming from the point of view of a pixel artist that has been spriting for a few years now, so I think I know what I'm talking about.

My favorite sprites are probably a grab bag of Yellow, G/S/C, and R/S. Based on random lookups and memory, those games had my favorite sprites. The poses are just right in most of them, which I think is most important, though the shading is nothing to scoff at. HG/SS sprites are mostly an improvement over the D/P/Pt ones, though Jolteon was certainly mangled. We trade that for a decent Vulpix, as opposed to the indecent one from D/P/Pt. Indecently funny, but still weird.

Back
Top Bottom