• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Bingeworthy TV

Butterfree

Still loves Joltik, though!
Staff member
Heartache staff
Pronoun
she/her
Many of us may be lacking in stuff to do during this pandemic - so what bingeworthy TV series have you watched lately that you’d recommend to others?

My favorite TV series is still Breaking Bad, and the ongoing spin-off Better Call Saul is also pretty excellent - so if you want a lot of material you can’t go wrong there.

A bit more recently, we watched the Watchmen TV series, which I thought was really interesting and well made - it’s not an adaptation but rather a modern-day sequel to the comic, grappling with racism in the US and overall expanding upon what the comic established in an interesting way. It’s a single self-contained season, but may not 100% make sense if you’re not familiar with the comic.

Give your own recs here!

Movies on Disney+. Lion King, Hunchback, Lilo & Stitch, Frozen, Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, Hercules, Wreck-It Ralph, and so on.

Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul are both excellent, although it's kind of amazing how different they are for sharing so much of the cast. Breaking Bad is more action-oriented, while Better Call Saul relies more on tension between characters. Also, might be worth noting that Better Call Saul is ongoing and currently mid-season, so you won't be able to binge the whole thing. But these are definitely both worth checking out if you haven't already!

Russian Doll is a series I started watching with a friend simply because we thought the trailer was interesting, and we kept saying, "Okay, it's late, but want to watch one more episode?" and then oops we'd seen the whole thing. This is a Groundhog Day-style time loop story with a couple of big twists that follows a misanthropic NYC game developer who suddenly finds herself dying again... and again... and again... This is overall a comedy/drama but deals with some very heavy topics, primarily mental illness and suicide. Available on Netflix, and it's one short season long--it's been renewed for another season, but works perfectly well as a standalone and I'm honestly super curious where they plan to take things in the future.

Also, if you've somehow missed the Good Omens hype, the Good Omens adaptation on Amazon is also a lot of fun, self-contained, and a pretty quick binge. It's a generally light-hearted show about the unlikely friendship between a demon and an angel and how they work together against both Heaven and Hell to avert the apocalypse. Humor all the way here, with plenty of heartwarming moments in the mix, too.

Last Friday Elite season 3 came out. It's a Spanish TV show about messy high school drama, so it's a bit intense. Similarly Spanish and with its next season on the way is Money Heist/Casa de Papel, about a group of bandits who are trying to rob the Spanish National Mint.

On a more light hearted note, I finished Derry Girls (Irish, very funny, very short), and I'm currently watching Kaguya-sama: Love is War, which is just adorable and hilarious.

This thread could be a lifesaver in these days of quarantine!

I started Better Call Saul two or three weeks ago, finished it last week. Man. It's legitimately breathtaking. The dialogue. The always-purposeful cinematography. And for anyone who's watched Breaking Bad, the tension: it's impossible not to care for and root for the characters despite knowing that everything is going to fall apart. To think that when I first heard of it, I thought it would be a dumb spin-off! In fact it's so grounded that Breaking Bad feels a little cartoonish in comparison. (Not that I would ever malign the best show ever.)

I suggest watching it now, before it ends! There's so much to reflect on a per-episode basis that I think you might miss if you just binge episode after episode, which will definitely be impossible to resist.

I really enjoyed Wild, Wild Country on Netflix, a documentary series on an Indian guru that came to a small town in Oregon, USA, to build his community of followers. (Or his cult, some might very understandably argue. ) It's also gripping and beautifully made. Without getting super-spoilerly, major themes are: bigotry, group-think, escalation, and how that all adds up to extremism.

It's the most insane true story I never heard anything about. (Before I watched the documentary, I did meet some people who were very into Osho while traveling in India. My boyfriend's dad once was listening to an Osho lecture on tape about unleashing your inner power through the power of fucking, which I gufawed at at the time and never gave much thought to afterwards. And I remember back in high school reading something on wikipedia about a cult in the west committing the greatest bioterriosm attack in U.S. history.)

After I watched it, I coo-incidentally ended up living in the same city as Osho's modern-day ashram in Pune. I walked in their gorgeously maintained public garden, but didn't enter the ashram because there was some insane fee just to enter and on top of that my friend felt uncomfortable to go in. My boyfriend passed the ashram everyday on his commute to work, and described a charming story where he stopped on the road for some tea and some foreigners offered him a joint, but he was too shy to join them. I personally can't imagine anyone less intimidating than a couple of stoned German tourists in kurta pajama bottoms.

Last edited:
Just got off of a two-and-a-half hour conversation with my sister about Tiger King, the Netflix docuseries about... um... it's hard to explain.

I think it will be studied in communications classes as an example of how to present information to manipulate your audience. It is in incredibly wild, farcical ride. All at the expense of actual human beings whose lives get exploited for ratings on the top-rated show in the US. :confused: This show is incredibly disgusting on so many levels. It's legitamitely really entertaining, but if you're going to watch it, please go in with a very skeptical eye and try to be fair to everyone. (I know folks on TCoD are unusually good at that.)

I recently finished Mr. Robot, which deals with a cybersecurity engineer and a revolutionary hacker group. It gets dark and weird at points, but it's a very well-constructed thriller, imo.

If you haven't watched it already, I strongly recommend Pixar's Coco. It's a very moving film about a boy who reconciles a rift with his family. (I'm not sure if that's even a good description, but if you're interested much better summaries can be found online!)

Last edited:
just finished the first season of Barry, a show about an ex-marine hitman who falls in love with acting. not a big tv person generally but it pushed a ton of my buttons tbh. lots of really funny moments but also so much torment. :D

I strongly recommend Bojack Horseman, a recently concluded animated Netflix series about a washed-up anthropomorphic horse who was an actor in a popular 90s sitcom and wants to make his way back into celebrity relevance. The show has some of the best comedic writing I've ever seen, and it also dives into more serious topics like drug addiction, trauma, and depression.

I also recommend Curb Your Enthusiasm and It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia as two of my favorite ongoing comedies that are immensely binge-worthy.

If you're looking for a drama series and enjoyed Breaking Bad and/or Better Call Saul, I highly recommend Ozark. The third season just came out and it's full of well-written characters and gripping suspense. Definitely a great watch from the very start, and the show just keeps getting better.

I actually started watching Elite since a friend recommended it, but it may be too strange to me, plus there's a character I dislike a lot and I don't know how much of her I can handle xD

As for my own recommendations, Beastars is one and Kakegurui is another. Though they're not complete, or at least in my country not all of it is available.

The Mandalorian. So far it's been entertaining enough to keep me interested, but not much more than that. I expect Season 2, which is coming in October, will be an improvement.

I actually started watching Elite since a friend recommended it, but it may be too strange to me, plus there's a character I dislike a lot and I don't know how much of her I can handle xD

As for my own recommendations, Beastars is one and Kakegurui is another. Though they're not complete, or at least in my country not all of it is available.
Yooo big Elite fan, who is it 👀

Kaguya-sama season 2 came out, so that's currently my to-do list after all my work is done over the next few weeks!

Yooo big Elite fan, who is it 👀
It's Lu. I can stand all the other girls, but it annoys me how she gets away with everything she does. If you want we can talk more about the show but I'm still in season 1 :P

Also, another one of mine I forgot about is Naruto. Started watching Shippuden today.

no judgement here. My sister's been making me watch Just Add Magic, an awfully written show about girls who find a magic cookbook. It's really awful but it's started to grow on me.

Back
Top Bottom