• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Cats (2019) Mafia

I think I'm at a disadvantage reading kyeugh because of my previous confirmation bias. in the last game, I would see kyeugh's posts and be like "this is good wolf play but I'm afraid you might get scumread" cause i had that conf bias. Now that I'm in a whole different paradigm, I'm afraid of being like "oh kyeugh seems town this time! doesn't seem like she's playing wolf" bc my mind exaggerated her wolfiness all last game cause I was on the lookout for that already.
well if it helps, failing tone you can just work out that i’m town mathematically, because due to statistics/rng i probably didn’t role scum again this game since i just did last game. a bit of the old “numerical” approach there for you

well if it helps, failing tone you can just work out that i’m town mathematically, because due to statistics/rng i probably didn’t role scum again this game since i just did last game. a bit of the old “numerical” approach there for you
although, if we look at this game in a vacuum, you being scum in a previous game doesnt mean that theres a lower chance of you being scum this game -thinking-

although, if we look at this game in a vacuum, you being scum in a previous game doesnt mean that theres a lower chance of you being scum this game -thinking-
yeah it does

cop cover is good. i think the odds that there is actually just a normal cop in this game are pretty high. i know i was kind of against it last game, but that's because i thought the presence of a cop wasn't necessarily a given, and also i was trying to kill you all
cant draw too many vibes from it bc on surface level its a good post, but still a bit Hmmmmm about it. idk i think it was just the combination of aforementioned vibe and Must Justify (maybe im reading too harshly into it)
No comment on the ~vibes~, but on the cop role specifically, I'm actually wondering if we can count on there being a cop at all? According to the signup thread the setup was originally designed for 14 players, with additional slots being filled by vanilla townies and goons. It seems like a cop might be a tiny bit OP with only 14 players? Unless there are some mafia roles that could mess with its results.

Hm, can you talk to me a little bit about the ILS read / why you think a mafia wouldn't have the same ideas about the flavor? Going entirely off memory I feel like Rari has had similar magnitude of contributions in the flavor realm but you don't seem to have a read on them.
Um... respectfully disagree? Looking back through the thread, the only actual game post rari made before I published my reads list was that Mawile might have been Gus (which she provided no reasoning for and later said was a typo). That and her hypocop result. Since then, yeah, she's posted more (and I don't disagree with anything she's said, except maaaaaybe her doubt about seshas) but at the time I don't think there was enough to base any sort of read on.

On ILS, the difference is that the mafia don't need ideas about the flavour, because they already know their own roles and who did the killing. I think if ILS was mafia he would be considerably less likely to say anything about the flavour at all, either to try to hide it (if it contains hints) or to let other people waste time coming up with unhelpful ideas (if it doesn't).

Do you have any further thoughts on Emmy's play viewing this game in a vacuum, or are you just neutral on her not taking into account the TVTropes comparison?
I'm not sure yet. There are a few things that seem odd:
  • "i was hoping i would be mafia for this game"
  • Said she liked the idea of cop cover but hasn't posted one
  • Has occasionally been acting really aggressive to people (kyeugh, seshas) and then immediately backing off
I don't think any of this necessarily screams "scum", but something to keep an eye on?

No comment on the ~vibes~, but on the cop role specifically, I'm actually wondering if we can count on there being a cop at all? According to the signup thread the setup was originally designed for 14 players, with additional slots being filled by vanilla townies and goons. It seems like a cop might be a tiny bit OP with only 14 players? Unless there are some mafia roles that could mess with its results.
i don’t think it would be op, cop is a pretty common role even in tiny mafia games and even if there’s no disruptive role

on the cop role specifically, I'm actually wondering if we can count on there being a cop at all?
i really don't see why not tbh?
I think if ILS was mafia he would be considerably less likely to say anything about the flavour at all, either to try to hide it (if it contains hints) or to let other people waste time coming up with unhelpful ideas (if it doesn't).
idk if i agree with the second part of this; flavorspec seems like fair game for a wolf to try to distort or use to distract from content reads, etc. i don't see why w!ils wouldn't take the opportunity to make pretty easy initial plays - distorting flavorspec doesn't require any actual reads on players. not that i think ils is a wolf, i just don't agree w this premise
Said she liked the idea of cop cover but hasn't posted one
i kinda think she just didn't understand it tbh

not something i consciously thought about until you mentioned it, but i am realizing that this is likely the exact same type of posting i would do if i were scum. its just hard to think of Things To Say TM that would solidify non-scumminess when every time i think of something i immediately think "oh. if i were scum i would also think of doing the same thing bc it would appear as town haha"

TLDR, i think im still too used to the ToS playstyle of "your personality doesnt really matter if you can just lie low/deterministically figure out the game" and not used enough to having to have Thoughts in a way that i can actually present to other people
Hmm. Not sure how I feel about this actually.

Trebek, can I ask what you think is the most important thing for a town to do in the thread, vs. for a mafia to do, just in your opinion?

I think I'm at a disadvantage reading kyeugh because of my previous confirmation bias. in the last game, I would see kyeugh's posts and be like "this is good wolf play but I'm afraid you might get scumread" cause i had that conf bias. Now that I'm in a whole different paradigm, I'm afraid of being like "oh kyeugh seems town this time! doesn't seem like she's playing wolf" bc my mind exaggerated her wolfiness all last game cause I was on the lookout for that already.
I heard that there’s an entire city in the middle of Nevada that was built around this kind of statistics tbh
Said she liked the idea of cop cover but hasn't posted one
speaking from experience, she might be an actual cop who drew a redcheck and is too scared to hypo and become a target tbh

@.Keldeo response to your inquiries coming soon™

i kinda think she just didn't understand it tbh
i say this because she replied with stuff labeled "my contribution to cop cover" in a way that made me think she intended those to be her cover, and that she wasn't trying to dodge it

i’m not roleclaiming this early smh. scummy inquiry tbh

hardclaim: I received a role PM

i don’t think it would be op, cop is a pretty common role even in tiny mafia games and even if there’s no disruptive role
no? in a 14-player game, if the cop lives to D3, then there are potentially 2 living people they've greenchecked, with probably 9 people alive (assuming no abstains/successful doc protections). Then all they have to do is claim and reveal their results, and town has a ~50% chance of hitting scum just by randomly lynching, with reads probably bumping that up a bit.

I suppose this might just be an instance of me not being familiar with tcod meta

Back
Top Bottom