• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Suggestions daikonpiki

That haunter's actually from two months ago. And I hated the shading, so I tried redoing it. Not sure how well it turned out.
- Haunter (Pokémon) *

- a rose * (this was kind of lazily done.)
- unfinished bellossom (Pokémon) *
- oddish (Pokémon) *
The oddish and bellossom are both totally ancient.

I uploaded a ton of enamelling picturers to tumblr; I'm not likely to repost here.

Also, nerds, replies would be great :'(

...I have nothing in particular to say. I find these to be pretty fantastic, and I'm not really much of a critic.

...I have nothing in particular to say. I find these to be pretty fantastic, and I'm not really much of a critic.
Hey, at least that's something. "I like the [ pick a thing ]" is a perfectly acceptable comment. You don't have to go like 'i think this looks off' for it to be a valuable comment; 'I like this thing' or 'I like the colours on this thing' or something are still feedback!

that Haunter is amazing
seriously I love Haunter, its probably my favourite Ghost type
great work all around too :D I wish i could draw Pokemon that well

- a rose * (this was kind of lazily done.)

hey did i mention that I think this is really cool? I think i might have just ♥'d it without saying anything on tumblr but it's super pretty wow! I think it might be the differentiation in the thickness of the lines in combination with the shading, but it just has lots of dimension and it's just really elegant and I like it a lot. good job! I like how you've left some parts white as highlights instead of ... colouring them paler like I would do. :D'

that Haunter is amazing
seriously I love Haunter, its probably my favourite Ghost type
great work all around too :D I wish i could draw Pokemon that well
thanks!
hey did i mention that I think this is really cool? I think i might have just ♥'d it without saying anything on tumblr but it's super pretty wow! I think it might be the differentiation in the thickness of the lines in combination with the shading, but it just has lots of dimension and it's just really elegant and I like it a lot. good job! I like how you've left some parts white as highlights instead of ... colouring them paler like I would do. :D'
Thanks!

I actually did colour it paler, but the pencil's light enough you can hardly tell I did even before I scanned it, and things tend to get washed out when I scan them. It's barely not white.

- Clefable (Pokémon; for pokeddex)
- Makuhita (Pokémon; for pokeddex)
- Crobat (Pokémon; for pokeddex)
- a slightly more ducklike Princess Tutu (Princess Tutu; originally meant to be a golduck princess tutu but it didn't come out very golducky)
- Trapinch (Pokémon; for pokeddex)
- Foongus (Pokémon; for pokeddex)
- Dwebble (Pokémon; for pokeddex)
- Venonat (Pokémon; for pokeddex)

Last edited:
this is all really cool!
i don't know if you've already stated this, but what materials and (if any) programs do you use?

this is all really cool!
i don't know if you've already stated this, but what materials and (if any) programs do you use?
thanks!

For traditional things, pens (I have a lot but mostly these days I use microns or technical pens. My set of technical pens bleeds less but a few of them have run dry.), coloured pencils (mostly the woodless sort, but I also have a set of prismacolors), and then GIMP a bit to clean them up after scanning. Selective gaussian blur (to even out the paper grain a bit) and levels to make the whites white again rather than a middle blue; value propogate set to lower value, then oilify, to account for the coloured pencil not getting entirely into the grain of the paper and that being much more obvious after scanning.

Digital art, entirely gimp these days, though I used to use inkscape to smooth out my lineart partway through. I don't have a tablet yet so I do everything by touchpad and it kind of sucks. Well, technically I usually do lineart with pen beforehand, but then digital. And often I redraw half the image.

Last edited:
Pen. Charcoal smears like it's no one's business, and fixative is obnoxious.

So you fill something in that well with a ballpoint pen? Or do you use Sharpie or something?

Sorry if I'm asking a lot of questions. I really like your style and I want to try it out.

I fill them in with Micron pens of varying sizes, mostly 02 and 03. I got a set of black Microns.

It's fine. I wasn't elaborating very well.

If you're doing the coloured pencil thing, note I always layer colours and start with a light colour over everything. That reuniclus, for example, has light green even where the pink is. That's a really easy way to help unify your colour scheme.

Last edited:
Hm. I should probably start with crayons and markers before I buy anything expensive, because I might not be good at it. I mean, as childish as it is, markers make decent outlines, and crayons have a similar texture to colored pencils. Would that work?

Hm. I should probably start with crayons and markers before I buy anything expensive, because I might not be good at it. I mean, as childish as it is, markers make decent outlines, and crayons have a similar texture to colored pencils. Would that work?

Do you have any coloured pencils? (i.e Crayola, RoseArt, etc.)
Those can be a good start as well before going into anything expensive (such as PrismaColors.) That's what i did when I started to draw.

Do you have any coloured pencils? (i.e Crayola, RoseArt, etc.)
Those can be a good start as well before going into anything expensive (such as PrismaColors.) That's what i did when I started to draw.
I have the crappy erasable ones that work like crap, and I'm missing half of those anyway. So no, I don't. I might be able to buy some though, so thank you.

Crayons don't really let you layer colours and they're a bit too opaque to use with most other media. They're mostly useful either by themselves or with watercolours. Pick up a cheap set of Crayola coloured pencils; they're not as good as my newer pencil set, but I was using Crayola ones for a while and they're not bad. They're also sold basically everywhere, so. I've never tried the erasable ones :B

RoseArt makes a lot of shitty things.

The set of six pens I use was about $12 at my school store and probably $18 most art stores, and just getting an 02 or 03 (which're the more useful ones)'d be $3, but while I like them a lot, markers'd probably be fine. Just note that sharpies tend to bleed a lot, especially if you're using cheap paper.

Also, remember that if you're not currently good at it, that just means you're not good at it right now. :B Things that change with large quantities of practice.

Back
Top Bottom