• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Daily Pokemon Discussions

Yoo it's new Pokemon time
cyndaquil.jpg

I used to really like Cyndaquil, but now... I dunno.

OHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGOD
CYNDAQUIL. IS. MY. FAVORITE. POKEMON. EVER!!!!! :D :D :D :D
Has been for just the longest time ^_^

It's so adorable! :D :D :D :D

Also, on my first playthrough of Gold and SoulSilver, I used a Cyndaquil...because he's my favorite :P

Also I just love his name, too! Cyndaquil, I love the spelling and everything. It's just great.

You picked my favorite pokémon to discuss :)

Generation II is the only generation of Pokémon that has single-types for its starter's final evolution. Cyndaquil is the only fire-type starter that has a single-type final evolution.

Cyndaquil is pretty neat. It's also one of my favorite pokémon.

I always thought it was cool how Cyndaquil is blue, even tough it's a fire type. Non-obvious color schemes are great!
It was my starter in SoulSilver, as well; that was my first Pokemon game (not counting Yellow, which my brother gave me when I was like 6 and I never played much), so it will always have nostalgic value.

Typhlosion was my first L100, on Crystal. Named Typhlo-Guy even though it was a female.

I miss that gal. Even though I've begun liking Totodile a bit more, I still love Cyndaquil.

Tentacruel: Oh, Tentacruel. Those guys rule the seas around Alternate Japan when Kyogre is asleep. Not the prettiest things around, but quite cool.
...Wait, are those mandibles?
Also good when you suddenly start obsessing over Special Defence EVs.

Cyndaquil: Oh great. A Fire-type echidna with short, sleek, dark cyan and sandy yellow fur. Not even orangeish. At least it flames up when it's scared. Also the first mammal-based starter. Not too great, but better than those Fighting-types.

I like cyndaquill the most of the Jhoto starters, though Totodile is usually the more practical choice for going through the game.

Cyndaquil's okay, but I like Totodile better. Speaking of which...

Totodile

New day, new Pokemon! Totodile! I love these guys. They'd have to be tied for first as my favorite Water starter.

Oh Totodile, I LOVE Totodile. Totodile is just, so lovable. I love him in the games, I love him n the anime, he's just amazing. He might just be my favorite water starter.

Over a week since last discussion? Sheesh guys, lets give some praise to...Houndoom!

rsz_1houndoom_by_tatchit_d5r1fs8.png

Art credit to Tatchit on deviantart

Whenever I see houndoom, it always reminds me of the pichu bros. Can't really say much else about it.

Let's talk about Gardevoir!

So I was checking bulbapedia because I was wondering if they had legs (they're not visible in any game sprite I as far as I can remember, but I do vaguely recall seeing them in colosseum and XD) ,and apparently they do!

However I was reading its Pokedex entries further down and pretty much all of them are about how they protect their trainer. My question is, do Gardevoir exist in the wild? If they don't have a trainer, what is their behaviour? This is why I wish Pokédex entries were a bit more in-depth.

I guess it would make sense if there didn't exist any in the wild, and the reason they protect their trainers is because they then would have have to have been (sorry for the mangled grammar there) raised by their trainer up to evolution giving them that much trust. Especially when Ralts and Kirlia are said to be emotion Pokémon!
But then what about traded Gardevoir? To they automatically protect their new trainer even if they've only known each other for a few minutes?

Let's talk about Gardevoir!

So I was checking bulbapedia because I was wondering if they had legs (they're not visible in any game sprite I as far as I can remember, but I do vaguely recall seeing them in colosseum and XD) ,and apparently they do!

However I was reading its Pokedex entries further down and pretty much all of them are about how they protect their trainer. My question is, do Gardevoir exist in the wild? If they don't have a trainer, what is their behaviour? This is why I wish Pokédex entries were a bit more in-depth.

I guess it would make sense if there didn't exist any in the wild, and the reason they protect their trainers is because they then would have have to have been (sorry for the mangled grammar there) raised by their trainer up to evolution giving them that much trust. Especially when Ralts and Kirlia are said to be emotion Pokémon!
But then what about traded Gardevoir? To they automatically protect their new trainer even if they've only known each other for a few minutes?
I think they're protective of those that are closest to them, which in most cases is their Trainer, because they are so wary of emotions. So in the wild, it may be their young or anyone else that they're emotionally attached to. I assume that they are protective of their Trainers because that's their job.

That makes sense, although now I'm just again having that debate in my head about whether Pokémon that have trainers are essentially enslaved.

I mean if the trainer has raised the Gardevoir then they trust each other but if it's just their job to protect the trainer then that's kind of mean, if they would otherwise be protecting their family or whomever it is they care about in the wild.

That makes sense, although now I'm just again having that debate in my head about whether Pokémon that have trainers are essentially enslaved.

I mean if the trainer has raised the Gardevoir then they trust each other but if it's just their job to protect the trainer then that's kind of mean, if they would otherwise be protecting their family or whomever it is they care about in the wild.
They aren't forced to do anything, really. It's by choice, because they're more sympathetic than other Pokémon. They can feel your emotions.

And Pokémon aren't enslaved. There's a pretty much an unspoken covenant between them, because as soon as a Pokémon is caught, it is subject to a Trainer's commands, but isn't forced to obey them (i.e. Iris' Dragonite). It gets its chance to break free, which is why Pokémon can break out of PokéBalls, but once it is caught, it is caught. On the other hand, some Pokémon like their Trainers, and thus obey them freely and allow themselves to be caught.

I don't know. It's complicated, I guess.

They aren't forced to do anything, really. It's by choice, because they're more sympathetic than other Pokémon. They can feel your emotions.

And Pokémon aren't enslaved. There's a pretty much an unspoken covenant between them, because as soon as a Pokémon is caught, it is subject to a Trainer's commands, but isn't forced to obey them (i.e. Iris' Dragonite). It gets its chance to break free, which is why Pokémon can break out of PokéBalls, but once it is caught, it is caught. On the other hand, some Pokémon like their Trainers, and thus obey them freely and allow themselves to be caught.

I don't know. It's complicated, I guess.

Yeah, it's hard to understand how Pokéballs work exactly since there are so many ways to look at it. Maybe they get caught when they're weakened because you've proven to them that you're worthy, but then it could easily be that they're just too weak to break free. The former reasoning is more comfortable to think, but then there's the master ball.
But then maybe that's exactly why team rocket wanted to steal it in RBY, ever notice how grunts only ever use Zubat and really weak Pokémon like that? Maybe it's not because they're rubbish trainers, but because no stronger Pokémon trust them enough to be caught. (EDIT: I don't know if team rocket had anything to do with Mewtwo in the games but even if they wanted the master ball for that, it's still pretty much the same reason since Mewtwo is entirely capable of being caught without a master ball)

A lot of the time it's the professor that gives the player the master ball, it's possible that there are tough restrictions on who are allowed to own master balls and they're only given to people who are trusted by the government (if they exist) not to abuse them.

And traded Pokémon disobey orders if you don't have enough badges, and it's entirely possible that that isn't actually how it would work if it were real, but rather a necessary way for the game to measure how good of a trainer you are. If it were real how good of a trainer you are would determine how good of a trainer you are.

Okay that's enough pulling stuff out of thin air and calling it speculation for one post.

Last edited:

Well, I think they just have this weird instinct that they must protect somebody. Normally family and love interests I guess, but if there is none of these around, they'll just protect the closest they have to family. Which a human qualifies as.

I suppose. It's just that I have a hard time imagining Pokémon seeing trainers as anything but their owners, rather than family or friends. I mean at least with dogs irl, they're probably not intelligent enough to have a concept of ownership. But Pokémon are obviously intelligent, especially apparently Alakazam. So it just seems like taking advantage of their vulnerability to apricorn magic by inventing balls that enslave them.

Also, I was just checking to see what egg group Chandelure was in because I'm breeding one, and I noticed that Gardevoir is in the amorphous egg group. What's up with that? Why not the humanlike one?

Back
Top Bottom