• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Death Penalty

Should death penalties be in practice?

• Yes.

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • No.

Votes: 29 69.0%
  • Yes, but under certain conditions.

Votes: 10 23.8%

• Total voters
This whole thread is moving a bit too fast for me to keep up with (I have to read Sherlock fanfiction sometime, it's a busy life), but a comment to the effect of "murderers do not deserve rehabilitation" was made a while back.

Here's the thing:

Normal, healthy, well-adjusted people don't murder other people.

People who do murder (particularly to the extent they get landed on death row) are not normal, healthy and well-adjusted.

When people are sick, they need help. Nobody needs rehabilitation more than a murderer.
What if someone kills another person because they're psychotic? Surely you'd agree they need help, or do they deserve to die, too?

And, to follow your line of reasoning ("murderers deserve to die") to its logical conclusion, what do you think should happen to the people who carry out the executions of the people on death row? They've murdered another person in cold blood and are definitely guilty of killing another person. Should they be killed, too? What should happen to the people who kill them?

Eh, latching on to this "so are you going to kill the executioners too?!" idea is kind of futile here; Little Monster has already stated several times that he doesn't believe killing a murderer is itself murder at all. :/

Could not agree more on the rehabilitation issue, however.

AN EYE FOR AN EYE.
You do realize that "an eye for an eye" refers to something written like 4000 years ago back when everyone worshiped sun gods, lived in the dirt, and didn't know shit about anything? I would like to think we've moved past that in the last four millenia... and in fact I'm pretty sure our justice system is no longer modeled after that one.

You do realize that "an eye for an eye" refers to something written like 4000 years ago back when everyone worshiped sun gods, lived in the dirt, and didn't know shit about anything? I would like to think we've moved past that in the last four millenia... and in fact I'm pretty sure our justice system is no longer modeled after that one.

Just gotta point out a couple of things- this was an integral part of Hammurabi's code, which was written more like 3700 years ago, (300 years can be a long time!) but Babylon was considerably more advanced than a bunch of people living in the dirt. Civilization can be more properly dated to at least 6000 years ago. That, and sun gods may still be worshiped today by perfectly civilized people.

But that's all I want to say. Don't let me distract you all from your debate here.

Back
Top Bottom