• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Do you, or would you, pay for hosting?

It isn't necessarily the name. It's being able to use technology that many free hosts don't allow, going beyond the limits they impose and avoiding the negative reputation sites like Freewebs tend to have among webmasters.

If that's seriously all you need then whatever, but I'm not paying for the name either. It's the features. There's a difference.

Though if all you want is a name, you might take a look at .co.cc, which is free and likely does not have as bad a reputation as--
Using some foreign country code that I can't even identify off the top of my head is not going to get you any better reputation than freewebs.

Using some foreign country code that I can't even identify off the top of my head is not going to get you any better reputation than freewebs.
Different strokes for different folks, I guess. :shrug: Pokemon Forever had a Tokelau domain, but then again .tk is pretty bad.

Last edited:
I will, when I actually have a site of worth for buying a host (though currently I do have free hosting which allows Perl and PHP and about anything imaginable).

As far as forum software, I honestly don't think vBulletin is worth it - MyBB or PHPBB or SMF can do just about as much, sometimes easier and more widely available because they're more open source, without that hole in your wallet. Though admittedly its better than shelling out 300 a year like I guess some forums require.

I'm seriously considering it.
Free hosts fail.
I just don't really want to pay money for something so unimportant in the grand scheme of things. I'm not serious enough about it just yet.

I'm seriously considering it.
Free hosts fail.
I just don't really want to pay money for something so unimportant in the grand scheme of things. I'm not serious enough about it just yet.
Then try to find someone with some space on their server for random people.

I would pay for hosting if I ever needed it.

Currently I don't do or plan to do anything that requires any sort of hosting, though. O:

I don't pay. I'm too young. But there's some awesome hosts out there for free.

I don't think paying has much to do with age. My friend got a site in her father's name when she was eleven.
Of course, it wasn't the best site ever, and is down now, but it had some content on it.

I use Freewebs. Kill me for it, but I just don't feel like using something else at the moment. It stinks, I won't deny that, but I have no freedom when it comes to using money. I'm not paying for hosting anytime soon. =(

I use Freewebs. Kill me for it, but I just don't feel like using something else at the moment. It stinks, I won't deny that, but I have no freedom when it comes to using money. I'm not paying for hosting anytime soon. =(

You don't need money to Find a better free host. However, the real issue with buying hosting for many is knowing that you've chosen the right one.

However, the real issue with buying hosting for many is knowing that you've chosen the right one.

It would be nice if paid hosts gave you a free trial, so you can try it out before you decide that you're going to buy it. =D Actually maybe some do this, I have no idea xD;

Wouldn't that lead to serial mooching and people moving from host to host after their time expired? Some give you some extra free time, but you have to buy the website first. Dreamhost will apparently give you a time to get a refund...

It would be nice if paid hosts gave you a free trial, so you can try it out before you decide that you're going to buy it. =D Actually maybe some do this, I have no idea xD;

I was thinking of this for a host, but then I thought of its drawbacks and scrapped that. The Money Guarantee is pretty much fitting the description you're giving, though. ;)

Wouldn't that lead to serial mooching and people moving from host to host after their time expired? Some give you some extra free time, but you have to buy the website first. Dreamhost will apparently give you a time to get a refund...

Yeah, it really would pose a problem to the providers than clients. My initial problem with DreamHost is that it requires you to prepay your hosting, from what I've seen on the bill for when you're signing up. I find that a bit too inconvenient to be honest, but it's really just me.

Back
Top Bottom