• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

EVIL MUSLIMS in Europe?

Creasy said:
No part of Mosaic Law is applicable to Christians.

??

I have always understood Mosaic Law as being a very large moral foundation for the Judeo-Christian religions?

??

I have always understood Mosaic Law as being a very large moral foundation for the Judeo-Christian religions?
Surely you've noticed that Christians don't keep kosher or observe the sabbath on Saturday (one of the Ten Commandments).

Sure the Christian branch doesn't follow it exactly, but that's a far cry from no part of it being applicable to Christians.

Christians do observe the sabbath, anyway. They just have a different interpretation of "the seventh day".

Okay, I'm no Christian theologian or Bible scholar, and I'm not sure what this New Covenant is supposed to be saying. Didn't Jesus himself say that he did not come to revoke Mosaic law? Isn't God Jesus? And Jesus God? And ... see, Christianity is too intricate and muddled for it to make any sense to me. Could you explain it to me instead of just posting a wikipedia link (the best way of debating)?

ON TOPIC: I wanted to kick VPLJ for saying that Europe is more socially advanced, and then I realized it's true. God, I hate living in America.

Christians do observe the sabbath, anyway. They just have a different interpretation of "the seventh day".
It's not a reinterpretation. Christians intentionally celebrate the sabbath on the first day, despite God's commandment that the Jews do so on the seventh.

Didn't Jesus himself say that he did not come to revoke Mosaic law?
Jesus fulfilled the Law of the OT. He and Paul explicitly contradict it throughout the New Testament.

e.g.: "You have heard that it was said, 'An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.' But I say to you, offer no resistance to one who is evil." (Matthew 5:38-39)

And Paul: "Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace." (Galatians 5:4)

"He brought an end to the commandments and demands found in Moses' Teachings so that he could take Jewish and non-Jewish people and create one new humanity in himself." (Ephesians 2:15)

Last edited:
So correct me if I'm wrong here.
God was like "All right Jews, you guys celebrate the sabbath on the seventh day. Okay, now, Christians, you guys celebrate sabbath on the first day." ?

So correct me if I'm wrong here.
God was like "All right Jews, you guys celebrate the sabbath on the seventh day. Okay, now, Christians, you guys celebrate sabbath on the first day." ?
Gentile Christians aren't biblically obligated to celebrate any sabbath. It's just tradition.

According to Paul, Jews and Jewish converts to Christianity must still observe the seventh-day sabbath and Mosaic Law in general.

Last edited:
It doesn't really make a difference what a religion's texts are supposed to say — only what people do. We can interact with people, but we can't deal directly with religions. A religion isn't an actual entity dictating people's actions. People learn religion from others; they decide what they'll practice, consciously or by going with what they grew up around or however. Scripture, whatever the intent, doesn't act as a religion's definition or a strict set of rules. You can argue about how a religion is "supposed" to go all you like, but even if you have ground to stand on (I don't know or care), standardizing one won't work. A religion is, in effect, whatever people call it. Any number of variations will emerge.

I guess what I'm trying to say is: stop thinking in terms of religions. Think in terms of people; it's people you're dealing with.

Last edited:
It doesn't really make a difference what a religion's texts are supposed to say — only what people do. We can interact with people, but we can't deal directly with religions. A religion isn't an actual entity dictating people's actions. People learn religion from others; they decide what they'll practice, consciously or by going with what they grew up around or however. Scripture, whatever the intent, doesn't act as a religion's definition or a strict set of rules. You can argue about how a religion is "supposed" to go all you like, but even if you have ground to stand on (I don't know or care), standardizing one won't work. A religion is, in effect, whatever people call it. Any number of variations will emerge.

I guess what I'm trying to say is: stop thinking in terms of religions. Think in terms of people; it's people you're dealing with.
That's reasonable from an atheistic perspective, but my point stands. Most Christians reject Mosaic Law, and virtually all would agree that genocide is wrong. Either way, the atrocities of the OT are no reason to criticize modern Christianity.

"I mean, c'mon, you gotta get past those three murders on my criminal record, those happened in the /past/"

Shit_Storm_Coming.jpg

What does this have to with EVIL MUSLIMS IN EUROPE?

Here in Ireland, we have a funny situation. A minority (but a significant minority) of both young (as in my generation) and old (as in my grandparent's generation) are fairly racist. You know, the usual "fucking terrorists" and "if you can't speak the language get out of the country".

While it's funny enough to note that the IRA helped to train Middle Eastern terrorists, it's the second one that really gets me going. Muslims view it as offensive to live in a country with out learning its language. So many of them are sending their children to Gaelscoileanna and Gaelcoláísteanna, schools where everything is taught through Irish. So the Muslim immigrants are actually speaking the language at an astronomically higher level of fluency than the racist pricks telling them to leave the country.

This is because such people are generally too stupid to remember that English is only one of Ireland's three second languages (along with French and German) and that Irish is the first.

So the Muslim immigrants are actually speaking the language at an astronomically higher level of fluency than the racist pricks telling them to leave the country.

This is incredibly awesome.

Also, guys, please stop white-knighting Christianity/ganging up on the only Christian defender. Not every thread involving religion has to be a Christianity vs. Atheists thread.

ON TOPIC: There are a bunch of kids at my school that wear the hijab. I haven't seen or heard anyone make a big deal of it yet (despite all the people who write "God will tear this homosexual school down!" on the bathroom walls), which I figure is good news. Hurray for a step towards tolerance!

EDIT: Ok, who is the fool that added 'praise allah' as a tag?

Last edited:
I find it pretty repulsive that France banned wearing headscarves in school. I'm all for religious neutrality in schools but that means banning all religious symbols (crosses, yarmulkes, etc) or allowing them all, Sarkozy. You stupid prick.

I'm the first to admit that I really don't like Islam. But that's okay. I really don't like Christianity or Judaism, either. I have no objection to immigration at all (although it shouldn't be indiscriminate, and I do think that English-speaking applicants should be put on a higher priority than others but I digress).

The fear of a "Muslim Britain" is totally irrational. We're never going to have Sharia law running parallel to our own courts. I think a big part of the problem is integration into the community.

Anti-Muslim sentiments are high in poor areas. That makes sense - poor areas tend to have bad levels of academic success and tend not to be the most tolerant places. I live in one of those places. The biggest obstacle to fixing the problem is education.

What's Other is often thought of as Bad and that's something that needs to be changed. I don't know how to go about that. With the general election coming up there's been a lot of political chat going on (I even got into a debate at a urinal in a club the other week...) and most young people in my area are preparing to vote BNP.

A rise in extreme political views always follows economic crisis, so maybe that's partially the case - maybe not.

Er. For some reason this post got long. IDK why. Um.

In direct answer to the question: anti-Muslim sentiments are something that are entrenched in sections of the country but aren't held by the majority of people across the nation.

I find it pretty repulsive that France banned wearing headscarves in school. I'm all for religious neutrality in schools but that means banning all religious symbols (crosses, yarmulkes, etc) or allowing them all, Sarkozy. You stupid prick.

I thought he did ban all religious symbols. Les signes religieux ostentatoires, right? A big crucifix, a yarmulke etc fit that description. Small things that can be worn under the clothes are exempt, of course.

It's not really his fault that Islam doesn't really have that, is it?

(I'm all for banning veils and such things, though, so.)

I thought he did ban all religious symbols. Les signes religieux ostentatoires, right? A big crucifix, a yarmulke etc fit that description. Small things that can be worn under the clothes are exempt, of course.

The question is, are the people enforcing it going to be selective? It wouldn't be odd, I think, for someone to twist the law so that they happen to 'not notice' if a Jew or Christian is being ostentatious while punished a Muslim.

It's not really his fault that Islam doesn't really have that, is it?

Hands of Fatima.

(I'm all for banning veils and such things, though, so.)

I get this feeling for burqa and niqab and stuff, but what about hijab? I mean, headscarves can be worn in a non-religious way, and hijab isn't threatening or dangerous (as evidenced by the numerous Muslims in my school that co-exist peacefully with the non-muslims).

I find it pretty repulsive that France banned wearing headscarves in school.

Eight of Germany's 16 states contain restrictions on wearing the hijab.
In the Netherlands, a February 2007 opinion poll indicated that 66 percent support a ban (on burqa) and 32 percent oppose it.

Last edited:
Also, guys, please stop white-knighting Christianity/ganging up on the only Christian defender. Not every thread involving religion has to be a Christianity vs. Atheists thread.

Sure. I'd like it to be that way. But they happen to naturally evolve into those threads, which is how discussion works, so I don't see any point in complaining.

Sure. I'd like it to be that way. But they happen to naturally evolve into those threads, which is how discussion works, so I don't see any point in complaining.

When every thread ends up being like that, it gets a little boring. We may as well make some sort of thread where people go to nitpick about Christianity/Atheism/Theism and everyone can get their kicks there.

Had to bump the topic because of this.

56% of the Swiss voted to ban minaret construction. Some of the groups supporting the ban say that it would "encourange Sharia law".

what

Of course, considering US opinion of Muslims (and that one Jewish man in the comments who was ok with the ban because Muslims are annoying or whatever), I can't say I'm too proud of the US, either.

Back
Top Bottom