• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Final Fantasy: 4 Heroes of Light

I do know of some events that take place despite not playing the game yet xD I heard it came out October 6/7 in Australia, so I checked nearby game stores ... nothing. Does anyone know the Australian release date, because I've been looking forward to this game for a while now.

Guess I shouldn't be surprised xD

Well, while we're both waiting idly, which job crown do you think looks most interesting? Personally, I rather like the Monk, Mystic Fencer, Alchemist and Scribe.

Just got to Invidia, jobs so far are Freelancer, Wayfarer, White Mage, Black Mage, Bandit, Bard, Merchant, Salve-maker, Elementalist, and Ranger. White Mage, Elementalist, and Ranger appear to be the most potent thus-far; White Mage is very resilient and deals okayish damage with spells, Elementalist appears to have stronger nukes than Black Mage, but they're costlier. Ranger deals a lot of damage with the bow, a potent weapon to begin with, and its aim technique is very helpful against evasive enemies. Bear in mind, however, you cannot run from fights unless you have a Wayfarer, and if you don't have a Freelancer, half the stock for one of your orbs is lost.

But yes, some fights so far have been very difficult. Also, some advice: save your orbs as much as you can, they're used for job and equipment upgrades.

I've been debating whether or not I want to get this game, but I think I've finally decided to do so. I've read and heard good things about it, plus I'm quite a fan of the job system and customization, so I think that I'll go for it and get this game. The issue is that I live a decent amount of time away from a Gamestop so getting there would be a problem.

Status update! I've beaten Leviathan, Beelzebub, and two of the other late game big-bad-bosses (forget their names, the snake-headed thing Guera turns into and the cube-chair on top of Gulg Volcano) that appear after you defeat Rolan and darkness spreads throughout the world. These were all difficult fights and the snake-head thing is by far one of the hardest bosses I've ever fought in any game. Sidewinder is absolutely maddening.

Party!
- Yunita Lv42 | Hero (Reckless, Bladeblitz, Wrath, Finale, Protect, Shell)
- Aire Lv42 | White Mage (Cure, Curaga, Esuna, Arise, Lux, Healthgiver)
- Brandt Lv43 | Spell Fencer (Magic Sword, Cure, Firaga, Waterga)
- Jusqua Lv42 | Black Mage (Cure, Dark, Firaga, Waterga, Leafga, Magic Mojo)

Bladeblitz and Finale are just amazing. Bladeblitz functions like it does in FFV and dispatches entire random encounters often instantaneously. Finale is like Beat Up, everyone performs a weak attack, and then the Hero finishes with an immense blow. Very handy boss-breaker.

^ Do want game so much :o

Hmm, evaluating from all these huge difficulty comments, as well as the battle system, it seems like it's turning out like an SMT game? xD

Is there any crown that is a major bane to have, that isn't worth it at all? (example; Scholar, Ranger, Viking, Magus in Final Fantasy III) Or are they all rather balanced?

^ Do want game so much :o

Hmm, evaluating from all these huge difficulty comments, as well as the battle system, it seems like it's turning out like an SMT game? xD

Is there any crown that is a major bane to have, that isn't worth it at all? (example; Scholar, Ranger, Viking, Magus in Final Fantasy III) Or are they all rather balanced?
All jobs are useful, some more than others. Nothing is completely useless like some jobs in three were, but there are a few I've not touched at all simply because they seem to have no real use for me.

Also I've finally gotten stuck :( Trying to save Rolan's soul, having just defeated the ice queen and found Rolan again in the underground of the flying place, but I'm not entirely sure what to do...)

Wish I can't help ya there; no one has put up a guide of any sort yet for the English version. I did find a link in Japanese mentioning Heart of Rolan so that may be relevant. If you can translate that site that is.

Also, good to hear that. It was annoying ending up using the same 4-6 jobs in 3 due to everything else sucking.

Last edited:
Vixie I don't mean to pester you or anything but hI've got a couple of questions about the ability system. Can you mix and match abilities from different jobs ala Tactics and FFV? And as far as magic is concerned, do you have to buy it like in the first few games of the series?

Magic is bought (via tomes), and any job can use magic. It basically functions almost exactly like II in this sense. Job-specific abilities are restricted to their respective jobs, however--you cannot have a Black Mage with Spellblade or Alchemist with Bladeblitz, etc.

Incidentally, I figured out what to do and now am further ahead /o/

Yunita Lv68 (Hero - Bladeblitz, Reckless, Wrath, Finale)
Aire Lv67 (White Mage - Cure, Curaga, Esuna, Arise, Lux, Healthgiver)
Brandt Lv68 (Spell Fencer - Mystic Sword, Magic Thwart, Magic Infuse, Waterga, Firaga, Darkaga)
Jusqua Lv67 (Black Mage - Firaga, Waterga, Leafaga, Dark, Desolator, Spell Focus)

Status: Just defeated Satan (REALLY RIDICULOUS FIGHT) and saved King Horne, now onto the final area if I'm not mistaken. The Doppelganger fight in the Witch's Manor is also terricrazy, seriously; four enemies with two actions per turn that hit for a fuckton. Satan also seems to get 1-3 actions per turn and switches between physical and magical immunity, Hero again was useful here, Finale for normal attack, Wrath during physical immunity.

Where can we find a complete list of spells and abilities?

No idea, I haven't used any guides or anything. Sorry :( Incidentally, I just had Aire master White Mage.

Although I can give a quick list of spells off the top of my head:

WATER
- Water, Watera, Waterga
- Blizzard, Blizzara, Blizzaga

FIRE
- Fire, Fira, Firaga

WIND
- Aero, Aera, Aeroga

EARTH
- Quake, Quakra, Quaga

LIGHT
- Thunder, Thundara, Thundaga