• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Ground Zero Mosque

Actually, the source is Fox News. There, I said it. Go on a totally baseless rant on how they're so unreliable now.

I do see it as akin to planting a victory flag. It would be like Japan building a Shinto Shrine at Pearl Harbor or Germany putting up a church in Warsaw.

Actually, the source is Fox News. There, I said it. Go on a totally baseless rant on how they're so unreliable now.

Well actually you'll note I linked above to several examples of Fox being unreliable, so I'm not so sure about 'baseless'.

I do see it as akin to planting a victory flag. It would be like the Emperor of Japan building a Shinto Shrine at Pearl Harbor in 1943

Because everyone knows that Pearl Harbour was all about religious extremism. No, it wouldn't be anything like that. Also, I see no problem with building a Shinto shrine at Pearl Harbour; Hawaii has a large Japanese population, right?

(Yes, I know Japan doesn't have an Emperor anymore)

They do, actually.

or Germany putting up a church in Warsaw.

What the hell? Countries don't put up churches. Religious organisations put up churches. And that's exactly what's happening in New York. You know what would be offensive? If the Germans decided to put up a memorial to the heroes of WWII Germany in Warsaw. But they don't do that. Stop equating every Islam-related thing with 9/11; it's offensive and shallow. Do you blame the Germans for the Holocaust? I should hope not. So stop blaming Islam for 9/11.

I do blame germans for the Holocaust, actually. I sure don't blame anyone else.

Secondly, I realize Japan still has one, just that he has no power anymore. Hence my edit.

No, but in... 1954 I would definitely blame them. Because that would be nine years after the holocaust.

No, but in... 1954 I would definitely blame them. Because that would be nine years after the holocaust.

So you would blame an entire country - not all of which supported the ruling regime, despite what you may have been led to believe - for the actions of a relatively small group of people? Well, at least it isn't surprising that you blame all of Islam for the actions of a small group of extremists.

Who cares if it's only been nine years since 9/11. There was no reason to blame the entire Islam religion a day later, nor is there reason to now.

Last edited:
that makes about as much sense as me blaming americans for causing the war in the middle east.

that is, none at all.

So you're saying that Jews provoked the Nazis to attack them.

Sir, please die.

Nazis were elected by Germans.

I wouldn't say it's baseless, considering opal gave sources pointing to its unreliability. Also? Google.

I do see it as akin to planting a victory flag. It would be like Japan building a Shinto Shrine at Pearl Harbor or Germany putting up a church in Warsaw.

Yeah, because Hamas is totally a country, countries totally build houses of worship, and Hamas totally had everything to do with 9/11. Also I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that it's New York City and it's not exactly easy to find another spot to build a mosque in NYC.

Because all of Germany was cool with the Holocaust.

But after ten years, it stops being their fault.

This is some serious bullshit. You do not blame all of Germany for the Holocaust, you blame the Germans responsible. You do not blame all Muslims for 9/11, you blame the extremists responsible. If I were to blame all Christians for the Crusades, the Spanish Inquisition, and abortion clinic bombings, you would have a goddamned fit, would you not? So why is it fair for you to do the same thing here?

EDIT:

Sir, please die.

Where the fuck did you get that from what anyone said?

You know, I'm fairly certain this happened before Hitler actually started the Holocaust...

Oh, yeah, the whole economic death of Germany, that's another important point. Fun fact: The German mints started pumping out ridiculous amounts of money in an attempt to get the economy going again. This did not work - the German currency became nearly worthless. As an example, before the Treaty of Versailles, a loaf of bread cost about two marks. After the mints started pumping out money, a loaf of bread cost six fucking million marks. How the hell does a country survive something like that? So when this fellow comes along and starts promising to fix the country's economy, you can imagine the support he got. Of course, I'm betting his support dwindled after he started massacring millions of people, but it seems this doesn't matter to you - they elected him in the first place, and that is all that matters.

What the hell are you on about?

Yes, yes they were. However, I'm going to assume that "slaughter six million Jews" was not part of the platform the Nazi party was running on. Also! I hope you realise the Nazi party was widely disliked in Germany, and only won because certain people thought they could control Hitler and thus keep the communists out.

Also, you know, by the time WWII came around Germany was well and truly a dictatorship.

EDIT:

Though I would like to point out that none of this is germane. Islam is not a nationality; the 9/11 attacks were orchestrated by a tiny minority of religious extremists. It is in no way comparable to the systematic, government enforced genocide of millions of people.

Last edited:
I think building the mosque that close to Ground Zero is provocative. I would seek another place, it doesn't have the correct vibe. Other than that they can build any mosque they want, anyday.

Taking this topic in a different direction, I'd like to ask a couple people something (like opal): what is your opinion on the existence of the state of Israel. Because way back when it was founded, the Jews were the persecuted ones, not the persecuting ones. Also I am pretty sure most Israelis don't like the current govt much.

Back
Top Bottom